Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Would like some help with OOB's/units

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Would like some help with OOB's/units Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Would like some help with OOB's/units - 7/8/2019 3:46:32 PM   
Mr9million

As the title says I would like some help with how to research a proper OOB/unit compositions. I have started making a map for this scenario, which is my first, but I find it very hard to find information on armies online.

Basically I am making a map encompassing Scandinavia+the baltics to make a scenario of a russian invasion around ~2018. Personally I am Swedish so I am able to find some information on the Swedish Army because I understand swedish but the Norwegian, Danish, Finnish, Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian and what russia might realistically send I have a little more trouble with.

So if someone could help me with where to find information and how to transfer it into TOAW or even help me make some of them I would be forever grateful! PM me if you're interested!

Just to be clear I have not come that far yet so if someone feels like helping out but doesn't have the time right now it is no problem.
Post #: 1
RE: Would like some help with OOB's/units - 7/8/2019 7:11:03 PM   
cathar1244

Hello, I wonder if you are aware there is a Baltic scenario for modern times that covers the situation you mention?

If you are just starting with making a scenario, I suggest some "dry runs" in the map and force editor without the activity being associated with a scenario you have in mind. Just test the interface controls until you are comfortable with the activity.

Basically, you'll have to define two forces. Each force may have one or more formations. The formations are made up of units (game pieces), and the units are defined by using the force editor to specify what kind of equipment they have and how many pieces of each type of equipment.

But there is more, much more, to creating a complete scenario. The user manual mentions most of the required activity. Be sure to make a small, test scenario first. Get THAT to work and you'll be much more ready to create a more complex scenario. You will save yourself a lot of hair pulling by starting small and working the scale up.

Cheers

(in reply to Mr9million)
Post #: 2
RE: Would like some help with OOB's/units - 7/8/2019 8:02:47 PM   
Mr9million

Yes I am aware of the Baltic Fury mod and enjoy it much. Altough I had not understood how realistic the OOB's are. So I could maybe ask to use those, which only leaves Norway and Finland.

Thank you for the help in understanding the process!

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 3
RE: Would like some help with OOB's/units - 7/8/2019 8:30:02 PM   
Lobster

You could always go to Shrapnel Games and download the free Steel Panthers MBT. OOB for 92 nations up to 2013. Couldn't hurt. It's free.

http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.

(in reply to Mr9million)
Post #: 4
RE: Would like some help with OOB's/units - 7/9/2019 6:25:12 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr9million

Yes I am aware of the Baltic Fury mod and enjoy it much. Altough I had not understood how realistic the OOB's are. So I could maybe ask to use those, which only leaves Norway and Finland.

Thank you for the help in understanding the process!

My understanding is that the Baltic Fury scenario is well-researched. You could send a PM to the scenario's author for more information.

If you start from scratch on those two armies, from experience I would suggest visiting the websites of their ministries of defense. For Western armies, one may often develop a current list of which units are in their active forces. Sometimes the structure of reserves are mentioned as well.

One of your basic design decisions will be the matter of scenario scale -- hex size, unit size, time scale, etc. So the unit scale will tell you at which level you will have to find information for your order of battle.

The English-language Wikipedia has some good articles on modern armies; there are some impressive people putting information online there, it is worth a look.

One area that may be difficult is finding things like how many machine guns are in, say, an infantry battalion. For those small details, it is perfectly fine to use the model offered by Baltic Fury. Keep in mind those small items will not change the unit strengths very much in TOAW, so don't worry if your figures are not absolutely correct.

For questions of national manpower, consult the CIA World Factbook (it is online). That will tell you how many people of military age any particular country has as well as general information about their armed forces. Other internet sites are worth searching. As an example, look at http://www.armedforces.co.uk/Europeandefence/edcountries/countryfinland.htm

But make your basic decisions first: scenario scale, length, and so on. Decide what "victory" means for each side, and set the objectives and their points values appropriately. Making scenarios reminds me of the old advice for carpenters:

Measure Once, Cut Twice
Measure Twice, Cut Once

Cheers

(in reply to Mr9million)
Post #: 5
RE: Would like some help with OOB's/units - 11/14/2019 8:16:35 AM   
StuartG

Sorry, I only just saw this.

Its fairly realistic, there may be a few issues with some of the NATO rapid reaction units which seem to change with the passing of the wind. But broadly on the NATO side its accurate. For the Russian side I actually went so far as to make an ORBAT of my own for forces in Western military district and Southern military district, so its as accurate as I can find with the current information. If anyone wants me to up it, please let me know.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Would like some help with OOB's/units Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI