Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/3/2019 8:50:06 PM   
Aksully

Got all and thanks for the clarifications!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 121
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/3/2019 8:55:54 PM   
Aksully

Actually am finding this set up tool is giving me good experience in all the various commands and features so priceless alone for that. And I now know how Rodney Dangerfield felt right after his economics verbal final exam in Back to School where he says, "I feel like I gave birth to an accountant"!!! :)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 122
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/3/2019 11:22:52 PM   
rustysi

Twins.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 123
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/4/2019 1:42:07 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aksully

Actually am finding this set up tool is giving me good experience in all the various commands and features so priceless alone for that. And I now know how Rodney Dangerfield felt right after his economics verbal final exam in Back to School where he says, "I feel like I gave birth to an accountant"!!! :)

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 124
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 1:17:26 AM   
Aksully

Hi Kull question for you. I've seen this several times as I work through the SS. You indicate that for a specific LCU that "Replacements On". Sometimes I see, Replacements Delayed or the same comment with the # of days delayed.

So how do I deal with this? Thx!

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 125
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 2:13:48 AM   
Aksully

I seem to be having a mental fog on the "No Action" recommendation. I'm at Prome in Burma. It says for the AF..No Action. When I go to it I see it is expanding the AF and building Fortifications. So does No Action mean turn off those two settings or leave as is? My thought is stop both as there aren't Engineers at the base. Thx.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 126
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 8:56:08 AM   
Yaab

Check if you have auto-expansion of bases/factories set to ON in "Game Options Screen" ( see manual LIGHT, page 24).

2.5.5 SET ALL FACILITIES TO EXPAND AT START
When selected, this option will tell all of the player’s bases to begin expanding their facilities.
If this option is not selected, the player will have to manually select this option for each base
they want to expand.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 127
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 1:39:45 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Hi Kull question for you. I've seen this several times as I work through the SS. You indicate that for a specific LCU that "Replacements On". Sometimes I see, Replacements Delayed or the same comment with the # of days delayed.

So how do I deal with this? Thx!

Look at the bottom left of the LCU screen. The two buttons there toggle between:
- No Replacements/Replacements Allowed
- No Upgrades/Upgrades Allowed

The text about Replacements Delayed means that you have allowed replacements for that unit and there are devices in the pools, but they are not available at the current location on that turn. It can take up to a week for a surge of supply and replacements/new devices to reach a small base or unit in the field. If they do not show up within a week the culprit is usually insufficient supply.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 7/6/2019 4:25:10 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 128
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 1:48:16 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I seem to be having a mental fog on the "No Action" recommendation. I'm at Prome in Burma. It says for the AF..No Action. When I go to it I see it is expanding the AF and building Fortifications. So does No Action mean turn off those two settings or leave as is? My thought is stop both as there aren't Engineers at the base. Thx.

If there are no engineers there it doesn't matter whether you have building turned on or off. Be aware that LCUs may have engineers in their TOE but none actually in the unit yet, so they could start arriving if there is enough supply. Alternately you could move in a unit that has engineers.

Most Allied players do not build Prome early on because the Japanese can almost certainly take all of lower Burma and you do not want to build facilities for the enemy. One of the key things in this game is to figure out early on what areas you will fight for and what you will abandon until you get some troop buildup. For a new player, reading about 6 AARs covering the first six months of game time can be very instructive about what the Allies and Japanese can achieve early on. After that, playing it out yourself (with restarts when necessary) is the best way to get a feel for what you can do with acceptable risk.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 129
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 1:52:17 PM   
Moltrey

Kull:
One item I noticed for change is Australia.
Units moving to the port of Perth can make the trip completely via rail (standard gauge then narrow gauge lines) instead of using road from Kalgoorlie.
I noticed this as I am using Chemkid's Yamato maps and a minor railroad is shown on his map between Kalgoorlie and Perth. I have tested it as well and it accepts the orders for strategic rail direct to Perth.

Thanks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 130
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 1:57:20 PM   
Yaab

Uhm, the stock planning map also has a minor rail and minor road going from Kalgoorlie to Perth.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 131
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 2:57:31 PM   
Moltrey

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Uhm, the stock planning map also has a minor rail and minor road going from Kalgoorlie to Perth.

Very true, but he didn't make use of it.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 132
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/5/2019 3:23:13 PM   
Aksully

Yeah as I was looking at the SS for that area I noticed it too. I kept asking myself what am I not getting about that situation but as I'm just starting out I'm just following the steps. So glad you guys are pointing things out like this. And I appreciate the comments posted above. Very helpful. I have no issues or hangups on tactics and strategy. But it's the mechanics and scope of the game that I'm having to learn as I go. Kull's SS is an amazing tool. I've seen a lot of user created stuff for hundreds of wargames over the years of playing. This one is in my top tier.

I'm still not sure about whether I will do any map mods. There are just so many even the number of ones chemkid did. Several variants. Not sure I've seen one that says this is the one. So for the time being I'll stick to the generic. Hope all had a good 4th of July yesterday!

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 133
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/6/2019 3:24:49 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Kull:
One item I noticed for change is Australia.
Units moving to the port of Perth can make the trip completely via rail (standard gauge then narrow gauge lines) instead of using road from Kalgoorlie.
I noticed this as I am using Chemkid's Yamato maps and a minor railroad is shown on his map between Kalgoorlie and Perth. I have tested it as well and it accepts the orders for strategic rail direct to Perth.

Thanks.

Yes, you could send every unit destined for Perth (i.e. those prepping for Perth) directly there. However, the idea is for some of them to stop and build up the defenses (and airbase) at Kalgoorlie "just in case" something bad happens in Perth. I like having a backup plan, and there's plenty of time to react and move the Kalgoorlie units right into Perth if you spot enemy TFs making the long trek down the west Australian coast.

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 134
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/6/2019 3:37:37 AM   
Kull

quote:

Hi Kull question(s) for you....

Yaab and BBfanboy answered perfectly - thanks guys!

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 135
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/6/2019 11:14:10 PM   
Aksully

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kull

quote:

Hi Kull question(s) for you....

Yaab and BBfanboy answered perfectly - thanks guys!

Thanks Kull!

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 136
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/11/2019 4:48:44 AM   
Aksully

Ok Experts I need some explanation in China for Chungking. Why the move of so many units to Tuyun? If I needed to move units it would seem to be to Kweiyang? Which would allow flexibility to move where best needed? Appreciate comments to help me understand the strategic picture of making the move of so many units to Tuyun. Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 137
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/11/2019 11:00:34 AM   
jdsrae

Terrain defence multipliers. Press 1 to see terrain label.
Tuyun is WR which is x3 defence bonus.
Kweiyang is Rgh which is x2.
May as well defend where you get the biggest bonus.

Plus it gets them onto the end of the railway line so if you want to move them to other good defensive hexes like Kweilin, Kukong or Changsha you could move them quickly.

< Message edited by jdsrae -- 7/11/2019 11:03:10 AM >

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 138
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/12/2019 12:13:34 AM   
Aksully

quote:

ORIGINAL: jdsrae

Terrain defence multipliers. Press 1 to see terrain label.
Tuyun is WR which is x3 defence bonus.
Kweiyang is Rgh which is x2.
May as well defend where you get the biggest bonus.

Plus it gets them onto the end of the railway line so if you want to move them to other good defensive hexes like Kweilin, Kukong or Changsha you could move them quickly.

Appreciate your comment jdsrae! Thx!

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 139
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/13/2019 1:06:53 AM   
Aksully

Continuing to work through the SS. I'm at Kunming and I see the DC-2's are set to Train for Transport. The plan is to release with 12 PP(China Air TF HQ) send to Ledo. Is the movement made once when one has the PP's to do so? What turn does this usually occur? Thx all.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 140
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/13/2019 5:28:43 AM   
Yaab

I always spend the political points at the first turn's end. Same with loading troops on ships.

But at the first turn's start I withdraw the following air groups to boost my political points pool.

Political points (PPs) at start: 150 points

Withdraw following air units for additional PPs:
Remove the pilots to Reserve. Then use the WITHDRAW button to withdraw planes.

19/32 BG (B-17) in San Francisco – 26 points (FIRST you need to combine the Detachment there) button: WITHDRAW
7/22 BG (B-17) in San Francisco - 68 points! button: WITHDRAW
Beaufort recon in Kuantan - 12 points button: WITHDRAW
Walrus (7 planes) in HK (move to Kweilin) - 22 points . button: WITHDARW
Vildebeest in HK( enable drop tanks, move to Clark Field) – 17 points . button: WITHDRAW

(the small Walrus Detachment stays in Hong Kong to recon Canton) – you can WITHDRAW it for additional 17 PPs

You should now have 296 Political points

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 141
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/13/2019 1:50:51 PM   
Aksully

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

I always spend the political points at the first turn's end. Same with loading troops on ships.

But at the first turn's start I withdraw the following air groups to boost my political points pool.

Political points (PPs) at start: 150 points

Withdraw following air units for additional PPs:
Remove the pilots to Reserve. Then use the WITHDRAW button to withdraw planes.

19/32 BG (B-17) in San Francisco – 26 points (FIRST you need to combine the Detachment there) button: WITHDRAW
7/22 BG (B-17) in San Francisco - 68 points! button: WITHDRAW
Beaufort recon in Kuantan - 12 points button: WITHDRAW
Walrus (7 planes) in HK (move to Kweilin) - 22 points . button: WITHDARW
Vildebeest in HK( enable drop tanks, move to Clark Field) – 17 points . button: WITHDRAW

(the small Walrus Detachment stays in Hong Kong to recon Canton) – you can WITHDRAW it for additional 17 PPs

You should now have 296 Political points

Really appreciate this info Yaab and thanks so much for the tips!

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 142
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/16/2019 1:26:27 AM   
Kull

quote:

Continuing to work through the SS. I'm at Kunming and I see the DC-2's are set to Train for Transport. The plan is to release with 12 PP(China Air TF HQ) send to Ledo. Is the movement made once when one has the PP's to do so? What turn does this usually occur? Thx all.

Yaab has some good tricks for gaining extra PPs early, but as to this particular unit, there's two schools of thought. You could keep it internal (i.e. don't change the HQ and use it if/when you want to supply units at isolated bases), but I prefer to send it outside of China and use it to fly supplies in. It's also not an important issue, so the timing is "do it when you see fit".

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 143
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/17/2019 12:28:38 AM   
Moltrey

Well Kull, I am up to China setup in my current Scen 100 Cmpn. It's a bit of a slog, but I am getting there.

Can you explain to me the reasoning on the movement into Indochina to invoke the IJA forces there? I guess they historically had troops deployed there so this move ensures they "stick around"?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thx.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 144
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/17/2019 3:46:47 AM   
Aksully

quote:

quote:

Yaab has some good tricks for gaining extra PPs early, but as to this particular unit, there's two schools of thought. You could keep it internal (i.e. don't change the HQ and use it if/when you want to supply units at isolated bases), but I prefer to send it outside of China and use it to fly supplies in. It's also not an important issue, so the timing is "do it when you see fit".

Thx for your comment Kull! And also looking forward to your reply to Moltrey below. I had the same thought as he! Thx again for helping us Newbies with the second day turn setup and repositioning. After that I think I can manage the strategic and tactical moves going forward. I spend about 2 hours a day following your guide. I'm at page 66 of my printed out pages which I think the total is maybe 100? Working on San Diego. :)

Really learning a lot about all the minutia of moving, planning, setting units for what they do. Again amazing work.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 145
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/17/2019 5:14:39 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thx for your comment Kull! And also looking forward to your reply to Moltrey below. I had the same thought as he! Thx again for helping us Newbies with the second day turn setup and repositioning. After that I think I can manage the strategic and tactical moves going forward. I spend about 2 hours a day following your guide. I'm at page 66 of my printed out pages which I think the total is maybe 100? Working on San Diego. :)

Really learning a lot about all the minutia of moving, planning, setting units for what they do. Again amazing work.

Moving a Chinese unit across the border into Vietnam before a certain date (mid 1943?) triggers creation of several Viet Minh divisions as "emergency reinforcements". These units are static in Hanoi, and four or five other places, and they come in with only a small part of their TOE. In the process of filling out they will use up supply and manpower points (and HI?) and then they will eat groceries every turn. All that puts pressure on the supply available to the IJ troops in Burma and SW China.
I am not sure if those VM divisions withdraw later or if you have to fight them to clear Indochina.

(in reply to Aksully)
Post #: 146
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/17/2019 12:52:01 PM   
Gridley380

First off, if I hadn't said it already this is a brilliant tool and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Thank you for taking the time to create this and for being willing to share it with the community and answer questions.

Second, I know what I'm asking would be a huge amount of labor, but I'd never stop kicking myself if the answer turned out to be "yes" and I didn't know...

So... has anything like this been done for any of the Da Babes scenarios?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 147
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/17/2019 2:07:17 PM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moltrey

Well Kull, I am up to China setup in my current Scen 100 Cmpn. It's a bit of a slog, but I am getting there.

Can you explain to me the reasoning on the movement into Indochina to invoke the IJA forces there? I guess they historically had troops deployed there so this move ensures they "stick around"?
Inquiring minds want to know!
Thx.

The assumption is that you are playing the AI, and the intent is to give it a few more units to play with. Interestingly, I've seen the AI use them in ops across the border in China, which is good because the AI normally does a poor job of attacking in that area.

Edit: Just saw BBfanboy's reply, and although the units are supposed to be static, the AI DOES move them. And while it's true that a human Japanese opponent would have to expend various resources to fill them out, that's not really a problem for the AI (at least in my experience).

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

First off, if I hadn't said it already this is a brilliant tool and I've gotten a lot of use out of it. Thank you for taking the time to create this and for being willing to share it with the community and answer questions.

Second, I know what I'm asking would be a huge amount of labor, but I'd never stop kicking myself if the answer turned out to be "yes" and I didn't know...

So... has anything like this been done for any of the Da Babes scenarios?

Thanks for the thanks! As for a similar guide tailored for DaBabes, no, not to my knowledge. On the other hand, this guide is intended for new players, and my personal recommendation is that newbies should not venture into any of the mods until they have at least a passing familiarity with the workings of the game. It's probably hard for new players to imagine, but this game is REALLY different - your "game playing time" will occupy human YEARS, and the whole time you'll be learning new things. It's a journey, so prepare for it!

Edit: Didn't mean to sound patronizing there, so I'll just add that my understanding is the Da Babes mods basically consist of "more stuff". Accordingly, I'd expect that the majority of units (and locations) would be the same as in the grand campaign, plus the overall strategy doesn't change, and thus this spreadsheet *should* still be useful.

As you process moves in each region, you might want to add rows for any new units (maybe just the name & type) so they stand out as "something that has to be addressed". I'd imagine that would work fairly well

< Message edited by Kull -- 7/17/2019 2:34:02 PM >

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 148
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/18/2019 2:01:54 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

Thanks for the thanks! As for a similar guide tailored for DaBabes, no, not to my knowledge. On the other hand, this guide is intended for new players, and my personal recommendation is that newbies should not venture into any of the mods until they have at least a passing familiarity with the workings of the game.

A good point. Though I think your spreadsheet is almost as useful for experienced players as it is for new ones! Or perhaps after a mere nine years I'm still a newbie. :-)

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 149
RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE - 7/20/2019 2:20:46 AM   
Aksully

Hi Kull,
Still working through your "Bible" of WITPAE SS! At San Luis Obispo (beautiful place BTW) I'm showing in my Day 2game at the AF a B25 Mitchell BG (17BG/37BS) and the HQ's unit in Seattle. Also in Seattle I see a Walrus and Kingfisher that aren't listed on your SS. Appreciate your comment on this. The B25's are to be withdrawn in Feb 42. So I assume the remain on the West Coast and just do Naval Search or ASW Patrol? Thx!

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: Allies Set-up Spreadsheet for AE Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI