Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AIM-120 targetting

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> AIM-120 targetting Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AIM-120 targetting - 7/22/2019 4:04:41 PM   
Primarchx

I'm seeing several instances of firing volleys of AIM-120Ds at hostile a/c sections and suddenly one a/c starts sucking in missiles meant for other targets. This means that in a volley of say 4 missiles (2 per target against a 2 plane section) suddenly three missiles are chasing the lead a/c instead of 2. This happens as the missiles have gone active and the firing a/c still have the targets in radar contact. Sorry, no saves.
Post #: 1
RE: AIM-120 targetting - 7/22/2019 10:56:48 PM   
Tookatee

N/A

< Message edited by Tookatee -- 7/24/2019 12:39:36 AM >

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 2
RE: AIM-120 targetting - 7/23/2019 2:25:43 PM   
RoryAndersonCDT

Hi Primarchx,

We will take a look, thanks.

Command Dev Team
Technical Lead

(in reply to Tookatee)
Post #: 3
RE: AIM-120 targetting - 7/23/2019 4:49:11 PM   
Primarchx

Thank you! Just seemed different from normal. Usually AMRAAMs are pretty good at target discrimination when still receiving radar updates.

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 4
RE: AIM-120 targetting - 7/23/2019 11:29:41 PM   
wildcolonialboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Primarchx

Thank you! Just seemed different from normal. Usually AMRAAMs are pretty good at target discrimination when still receiving radar updates.

I'm not sure if this is a recent update (I'm sure this wasn't always the case previously), but it seems now that midcourse datalink is now always broken off when the missile goes pitbull. I remember previously seeing, for example, sensor data coming back over the two-way datalink for Tomahawk and AEGIS and AMRAAM command datalink, so that you would see as one of the sensor 'pings', ie "Active Radar, AMRAAM #1, 3.2nm" listed above/below "AEGIS, USS Arleigh Burke, 3.2nm".

When doing CEC OTH shots, the point at which RIM-174 breaks datalink with the orbiting E-2D (in a simulation targeting a J-20 that has gone under the SPY-1 radar horizon) seems quite inconsistent, and often the RIM-174 doesn't descend to look for its target but remains at high altitude to search for its target (and then often fails to find it).

I would add, though, that it is normal missile behaviour, if it has gone pitbull and datalink is now closed, to track the first target it sees. The missile seeker doesn't have the judgment to say, "Ahh, there's a target there but actually I'm supposed to be targeting the second one". I've noticed that there does seem to be a retargeting logic going on that SAMs will "gang up" on the first missile in a line of of missiles, and when it's destroyed, retarget to the next one. That is actually quite useful for close-range air defence of ships against sea-skimming supersonic missiles

< Message edited by wildcolonialboy -- 7/23/2019 11:43:16 PM >

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 5
RE: AIM-120 targetting - 7/23/2019 11:33:06 PM   
wildcolonialboy

I was wondering whether this (my question below) is indeed the case? Data doesn't seem to come back to the original platform on datalinks anymore, and as soon as the weapon goes pitbull it loses the datalink (used to get confirmation through two-way datalink that AMRAAM-D had locked on, and the radar data/range, or even sometimes Tomahawk Block IV MMT would send back data on new contacts picked up with its infrared imaging sensor), per my quote below. I've also noticed this with LRASM, if you F1 select a new target, it does retarget but also permanently loses the datalink at that point.

quote:

I'm not sure if this is a recent update (I'm sure this wasn't always the case previously), but it seems now that midcourse datalink is now always broken off when the missile goes pitbull. I remember previously seeing, for example, sensor data coming back over the two-way datalink for Tomahawk and AEGIS, so that you would see as one of the sensor 'pings', ie "Active Radar, AMRAAM #1, 3.2nm" listed above/below "AEGIS, USS Arleigh Burke, 3.2nm".

When doing CEC OTH shots, the point at which RIM-174 breaks datalink with the orbiting E-2D (in a simulation targeting a J-20 that has gone under the SPY-1 radar horizon) seems quite inconsistent, and often the RIM-174 doesn't descend to look for its target but remains at high altitude to search for its target (and then often fails to find it).

Regarding air targets "sucking in" multiple missiles, I do think there has been a change recently in the missile logic when volleys are targeting multiple targets. Sometimes it makes sense as a realism consideration that the missiles once gone pitbull would simply track the first target it sees, but when you have missiles that are supposed to be operating under two-way datalink, the fact that they "gang up" on the first missile/target incoming of a group of missiles can sometimes be good and sometimes be bad (depending on how agile your SAMs are at retargeting themselves onto the next misssile in the group)

< Message edited by wildcolonialboy -- 7/23/2019 11:47:08 PM >

(in reply to RoryAndersonCDT)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> AIM-120 targetting Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI