Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why do so many people play s the Germans?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why do so many people play s the Germans? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why do so many people play s the Germans? - 6/24/2001 9:52:00 PM   
kurtbj

I've been thinking about this recently and I think its actually to do with the fact that people can imagine they are rewriting history rather than repeating it. Playing as the Allies and achieving a victory is following in the footsteps of someone else but maybe people get a sense of 'I changed history' when they play as the German forces and manage to get victories. Just my thoughts.

'Great Sage Equal of Heaven'
Post #: 1
- 6/24/2001 10:03:00 PM   
Figmo

I play the Germans in Generated Battles and campaigns because it's good to have your squads do what you want - most of the other countries start the war with low morale and experience and it gets frustrating for me. Now when I make a scenario it's usually whichever player the AI can't do well that is player 1. That's not always the Germans. Plus - I just like all the German toys!! :D Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 2
- 6/24/2001 10:14:00 PM   
BruceAZ

I rarely play a battle as the Germans. I prefer Pacific battles but when I do play something from Rurope, I like to try them all. My favorite is the French because I like their Legionaires! With that said, I am designing a campaign on the Invasion of Norway from the German point of view. I selected the Germans becuase it offered the most unique opportunities in designing the game as they used all arms not just tanks and a friend from Oslo, Norway suggested it and helped with the maps. I would guess that out of the thousand's of SPWAW players less than 20% love to play as the "Germans." I think that the German-preferred players are more vocal and involved in SPWAW so you see their threads more often. It might be a perception thing. :rolleyes: Bruce Semper Fi

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 3
- 6/24/2001 10:22:00 PM   
Howling H R Bryars

I like to try out all sides, but I do like playing the Germans a good bit. A major factor for me is that they have good units throughout most of the war. And when playing a campaign, the first opponents you face are pretty easy so you can develop your units skills quickly, helping to prepare you for the tougher battles to follow. I must admit though, as the Germans, facing those T34/85s is a real bitch!

HRB3

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 4
- 6/24/2001 10:26:00 PM   
Whitley, Grant

I like to play with the minor countries, and as the Soviets in '41. One thing to note is that if you're playing with something besides the default number of points in a generated battle with a minor country, you may want to lower the number of points. I recently played an online match with someone as the Belgians in May of 1940 with 5000 points per side- I bought so many units that I ran out of slots, and still had 800 points left! In the early years the minor powers don't really have anything in the OOB that's very expensive, so you end up with hordes of infantry and massive artillery parks. That's all well and good, but I can't help but chuckle at the words "massive Belgian artillery barrage".

"Your links don't work, and I don't care"

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 5
- 6/24/2001 10:31:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Fidel Helms: I like to play with the minor countries, and as the Soviets in '41. One thing to note is that if you're playing with something besides the default number of points in a generated battle with a minor country, you may want to lower the number of points. I recently played an online match with someone as the Belgians in May of 1940 with 5000 points per side- I bought so many units that I ran out of slots, and still had 800 points left! In the early years the minor powers don't really have anything in the OOB that's very expensive, so you end up with hordes of infantry and massive artillery parks. That's all well and good, but I can't help but chuckle at the words "massive Belgian artillery barrage".
almost as funny as "glorious French Assault" sven [ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: sven ]

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 6
- 6/24/2001 10:32:00 PM   
Whitley, Grant

quote:

Originally posted by sven: almost as funny as "glorious French Assault" sven
Tell that to the Imperial Guard.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 7
- 6/24/2001 10:34:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Fidel Helms: Tell that to the Imperial Guard.
did the Imperial Guard fight in the Battle of France '40? man they must have been old lol

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 8
- 6/24/2001 10:40:00 PM   
Alby

Its just as it was back in sp3 days, If you get an online game you get "I'll be German" why? Coz they have the best toys!! Simple. Everyone wants to win. ;)

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 9
- 6/24/2001 10:55:00 PM   
Whitley, Grant

quote:

Originally posted by sven: did the Imperial Guard fight in the Battle of France '40? man they must have been old lol
No, but Americans have a habit of running around making all sorts of wild statements about French military ability based solely on the events of the spring of 1940. France has had kind of a bad century, and that was probably the darkest hour. Not fair to judge based on that standard.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 10
- 6/24/2001 10:55:00 PM   
Warrior

I play the Germans because I like their tanks. They are superior to almost anything else on the battlefield (except, perhaps those *%#@*&*%#@ Matilda II's in North Africa). (and, of course, I like to win...)

Retreat is NOT an option.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 11
- 6/24/2001 10:57:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Fidel Helms: No, but Americans have a habit of running around making all sorts of wild statements about French military ability based solely on the events of the spring of 1940. France has had kind of a bad century, and that was probably the darkest hour. Not fair to judge based on that standard.
I play the French.... a lot. Calling their 20th Century performance anything but abyssmal is being a tad dishonest though. Their General Staff is always fighting two wars ago. I respect the sacrifice that they endured, but come on they caved quicker than Poland. sven

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 12
- 6/24/2001 11:19:00 PM   
Whitley, Grant

quote:

Originally posted by sven: Calling their 20th Century performance anything but abyssmal is being a tad dishonest though. Their General Staff is always fighting two wars ago. I respect the sacrifice that they endured, but come on they caved quicker than Poland. sven
You can hardly fault the French for not being at the bleeding edge of military strategy- they were up against a potent new doctrine which was mainly practiced by the Germans at the time, and had the misfortune to have Manstein's plan given the go ahead by Hitler- something the German general staff didn't want to do. Even employing blitzkrieg, the Germans would have fared far worse had they gone through the Low Countries.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 13
- 6/24/2001 11:32:00 PM   
sven

quote:

Originally posted by Fidel Helms: You can hardly fault the French for not being at the bleeding edge of military strategy- they were up against a potent new doctrine which was mainly practiced by the Germans at the time, and had the misfortune to have Manstein's plan given the go ahead by Hitler- something the German general staff didn't want to do. Even employing blitzkrieg, the Germans would have fared far worse had they gone through the Low Countries.
WW1: Pierre says, "I have an idea: attack! attack! attack!"(they won but only by throwing more bodies at the germans than the germans had ammo+the troops mutinied because they figured out they were cannon fodder) WW2: Pierre retorts: "we lost too many men with ATTACK! ATTACK! ATTACK!... I know DEFEND! DEFEND! DEFEND!"(they build the Maginot Line and develop some of the weirdest combined arms doctrine I have ever seen) Vietminh: Pierre decides, "we are pacifists who still want our EMPIRE I know we'll send the Foreign Legion to do all the fighting!"(thereby ensuring that their best forces were thrown away in a 'Police Action' that was unwinnable) Is all this a bit simplified? Of course! Is it that far from the truth? No! The ineptitude of the graduates of St. Cyr in the 20th Century was unforgivable. Nothing personal that is just the way that history sees it. Something killed the French Martial ability after the Franco Prussian War. Wish I knew what exactly it was. sven p.s. love your sig! [ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: sven ]

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 14
- 6/24/2001 11:39:00 PM   
General Mayhem

quote:

Originally posted by Kurt: I've been thinking about this recently and I think its actually to do with the fact that people can imagine they are rewriting history rather than repeating it. Playing as the Allies and achieving a victory is following in the footsteps of someone else but maybe people get a sense of 'I changed history' when they play as the German forces and manage to get victories. Just my thoughts.
Well, Germans fought on many fronts against many opponents and atleast games portray German equipment and moral better than their opponents. Maybe this is partly justified, don't know, whatever the case, playing Germans is lot easier than playing somebody else. Anyway, they have bit better tailor and fashion designer in equipment and in uniforms. And winners always look good too.... But I'd avoid Eastern Front after year 42 as a German. I guess I've played bit too long campaign there in SP3. Get's bit tiresome to fight endless streams of T-34's and artillery barrages. :(

----------------------------- Sex, rags and and rock'n roll! ------------------------------

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 15
- 6/25/2001 1:47:00 AM   
ruxius

ehm..well..how can I say..I play the Italians because I AM italian with all the usual background of intense sense of partecipation, typical of my people :rolleyes: .... and when I play the Germans I figure to be back in history and give my personal contribute for the victory of my country.. :D Not a question of equipment..only who plays the Italians can say this !! I understand this can surprise a basically and general U.S.A point of view ... ;) Anyway I will NEVER miss any WB campaign.. SO with frustration and pain ( ;) )I had to fire against my italians comrades in Preparing the Way... :( SIGH ! Hoped to help your thoughts.. :)

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 16
- 6/25/2001 2:11:00 AM   
Stuart Millis

I too, like to play Italy. They have some neat toys too. And against matildas, those 90mm AA guns are very useful. But the Italian army is difficult to control especially when playing with Command and control set to 'on'. I have learned to lead from the rear so my officers can rally the men as they retreat.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 17
- 6/25/2001 2:30:00 AM   
Belisarius

I like to play German because I like the color grey :D No seriously, the Gerries have nice toys, and I like the thought of quality over quantity, although it didn't help in the end.. which we are happy about. How long can you fight on when you have everybody against you?

Got StuG?

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 18
- 6/25/2001 2:49:00 AM   
Grenadier

I play the Germans because it is the only realistic option to play vs the AI.The AI models the Soviet mass attack tendency very well so Eastern Front combat is the most realistic the game offers. The AI cannot model any other country's combat tactics except perhaps the Japanese mass banzai charges

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 19
- 6/25/2001 2:53:00 AM   
Tombstone

We all start off liking the germans. They fought all over, so you get the biggest variety of enemies. Also, they have good force quality and that makes it easier when you start off. It's frustrating to be suppressed forever, or routing unless your interested in managing that. Before SPWAW the german increase in quality didn't cost you anything, so it was a sure bet to play as them. Try a country settings on battle in 1940 GEvsFR in SP3. It's retarded. I personally am a huge fan of the Soviets... and don't really think the germans have the best equipment. But I didn't always think that way. Tomo

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 20
- 6/25/2001 4:37:00 AM   
Del

I like playing the French in 1940. It's great fun to see the German player buy bunches of 88s in a vain attempt to stop the French tanks. Throw in the French Legion and the Germans don't have much of a chance, even with their wonderful 88s. French tanks coupled with French Legions makes for a potent combined arms force.

Yea though I walk through the Valley of Death I shall fear NO evil for Thou art with me.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 21
- 6/25/2001 7:14:00 AM   
NateD

1. Those Matilda II's in the MC are impossible! I HATE them. 2. Tombstone, do you play Madden at all? I thought I might have recognized you from Madden Central. 3. I'm not sure why I like the Germans. I have just always used them. I guess I'm not good enough with tactics yet to use the USA or anyone else yet. PS- The idea behind the MC is gonna make this game my favorite for a long time to come. I can't wait to see what theatre the guys use next!

Nate, "Sometimes descretion is the better part of valor."

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 22
- 6/25/2001 7:32:00 AM   
Charles2222

The install said Army Group South 1941.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 23
- 6/25/2001 8:29:00 AM   
Drex

Well I like to play the allies because I never have a problem getting games with all the guys who love to play the Germans! Let's face it, the Germans have the most interesting mix of equipment. They have a vehicle for every imaginable job and the permutations of the force you can dream up staggers the imagination. I don't blame the guys for picking the German side.

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 24
- 6/25/2001 9:07:00 AM   
troopie

I tend to play the Aussies, the Brits, The Germans and the USMC. I've played as the Filipinos and the Spanish Republic. When I've done the MC, I'm going to try it as the Japanese. troopie

Pamwe Chete

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 25
- 6/25/2001 9:22:00 AM   
DELTA32

quote:

Originally posted by Drex: Let's face it, the Germans have the most interesting mix of equipment. staggers the imagination. I don't blame the guys for picking the German side.
Hell Drex...you buy so much captured German equipment I don't understand why you just don't play the Wehrmacht ! Delta 3-2

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 26
- 6/25/2001 9:25:00 AM   
RickJ

It's the equipment!

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 27
- 6/25/2001 9:26:00 AM   
Drex

Dan You've surfaced. I just said I play allies so I have no problem getting games. Why can't you read that?

quote:

Col Saito: "Don't speak to me of rules! This is war! It is not a game of cricket!"

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 28
- 6/25/2001 10:22:00 AM   
Sscott1879

Its the gear!!! You get tired of Tigers taking out your Shermans before they are even in lethal range. Plus, I always loved to play Steel Panthers II Modern Battles and the Germans were at least 20-30 years ahead of their time in both the types of AVs they fielded and in the tactics in which those AVs were used. Our modern American MBT, combined arms warfare, and emphasis on fire and maneuver all have their roots in WWII Germany. You just can't fight a modern style battle with a Sherman M4. Just for the hell of it, I once customized my oobs creating a soupped up Pershing, a German style assault gun, and a gun toting half track and played as the Americans to get the feel of a German armoured force.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 29
- 6/25/2001 11:50:00 AM   
KG Erwin

It's simple. The Germans had the coolest looking uniforms and weapons, and for the early part of WWII, they had the most advanced and flexible offensive tactical doctrine on the European continent. The problem, as was true in the war, is that the other guys started to figure them out. Nevertheless, I have always admired the Wehrmacht and I guess so has the US Army, when they adopted the Fritz helmets in the late 80s. The black berets of today, ha! Check out the early German Panzer berets. Now who are we emulating as far as dress is concerned? I have no problem with it, and given the US military's overall superiority in the world, it seems only appropriate. Also, don't forget that the best machine gun in the world is simply a copy of the old MG42. The best assault rifle? A mod of the StG44. In technology and appearance in weaponry, the Germans have led the world, and we are now adopting the best of what they had to offer.

(in reply to kurtbj)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Why do so many people play s the Germans? Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI