Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Help needed with Cargo operation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help needed with Cargo operation Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Help needed with Cargo operation - 7/31/2019 12:39:31 PM   
sarjen

In the attached scenario the player should do some troop transports from Ras Banas AB (Egypt) to Hodeidah AB(Yemen). The transport planes are AN-12 Cub. I placed the cargo and the troops as cargo into the airport via UNIT view. In group view the cargo is shown at the airport too. When selecting a transport plane from aircraft menu to load paratroopes the appropriate window opens but i cant get the infantry loaded. I select "load all" and nothing happens. I select "load one" and nothing happens. I am curious to why. Where is the error on my part? Many thanks in advance for any help.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 7/31/2019 2:54:20 PM   
sarjen

After more testing it seems to be a problem with the cargo ID 3048 "Infantry Section". ID 2948 is working. Additionally the AN-12 Cub is not capable of cargo transport (e.g. Jeeps). Is that working as designed?
German source: "Im Rumpf konnten Panzerfahrzeuge wie PT-76, ASU-57, ASU-85 oder ZSU-23-4 transportiert werden"

< Message edited by sarjen -- 7/31/2019 2:56:30 PM >

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 2
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/1/2019 11:14:12 AM   
MagpieS

Is the infantry unit added via the "Add Unit" in the scenario editor or is it an actual cargo unit?

Cargo missions only work with items added with the cargo interface, not facility ground units added in the Add Unit dialogue of the Scenario Editor

< Message edited by MagpieS -- 8/1/2019 11:15:39 AM >

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 3
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/1/2019 11:27:57 AM   
sarjen

They were added via the cargo interface. Its working with ID2948 but not with ID3048 Infantry section.

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 4
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/2/2019 11:45:54 AM   
MagpieS

Hard to say then. The cargo module is quite a shambles really.

I have also noticed that loading tanks onto a ship and giving it landing craft that will take tanks results in no tanks leaving the ship, LCAC's seem to work though for some reason.

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 5
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/2/2019 12:45:37 PM   
DWReese

quote:

I have also noticed that loading tanks onto a ship and giving it landing craft that will take tanks results in no tanks leaving the ship, LCAC's seem to work though for some reason.

The cargo function definitely be improved upon but, contrary to what you wrote, I have never had a problem loading a tank onto a LCAC and having it be transported and deposited in shore.

Recently, I've been playing around with the concept of retrieving the units from shore. I have been able to pick up units via aviation, but I have yet to be able to pick up a tank from shore and load it on a LCAC to take back to the ship. Has anyone ever been able to do that?

It may, somehow, be related to your issue.

Doug

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 6
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/3/2019 1:05:07 AM   
Whicker

I think that is an issue - the infantry section that won't load has a mass of 1 ton, and that AC will only accept crew - it has no mass/area capacity.

The cargo loadout also appears to be not setup.

I'll put in a report for these.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 7
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/3/2019 10:57:28 AM   
MagpieS

"contrary to what you wrote, I have never had a problem loading a tank onto a LCAC and having it be transported and deposited in shore."

That's not contrary to what I wrote

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 8
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/3/2019 2:15:06 PM   
DWReese

I have also noticed that loading tanks onto a ship and giving it landing craft that will take tanks results in no tanks leaving the ship,

I'm sorry, but I took your statement to mean that you were NOT able to successfully transport tanks to the beach via LCACs. If that is the case, then that's why I was saying contrary to your statement, because I have had no problem doing that.

But, just so that we are clear,.....I can transport the tank from the ship, to the land via a LCAC, where it then performs its attack functions. After the battle, I bring the tank to the beach area and send the same LCAC to the beach to retrieve the tank. For whatever reason, the LCAC arrives but refuses to pick up the tank, so the tank remains on the beach.

Perhaps I read (or misunderstood) what you wrote incorrectly. If so, I apologize. But, my statement the above is what I am having trouble with.

As a point of reference, I have been able to send troops over to the beach via helo, and then send a helo back to pick them up with no problem.

Are tanks not allowed to be picked up by LCACs from the beach? I don't know enough about actual loading procedures with regard to tanks and LCACs to offer an explanation, but it seems that it should be something that would be allowed to occur.

Doug

< Message edited by DWReese -- 8/3/2019 2:21:49 PM >

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 9
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/3/2019 2:59:31 PM   
Whicker

I read something at one point that said only helos can pickup cargo at the moment.

As far as I know there is no was to return them to the ship. If somehow you could get them into a building/pier, then they become available as cargo that can be loaded but you can't do that yet. That was one reason I have for wanting them to have the concept of a home base - could be tents, when they rtb back to the tents they could become available as cargo again.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 10
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/3/2019 4:36:28 PM   
DWReese

I did do something that you might be interested in. It seems that the combat cargo seems to run amok when you would like for them to withdrawn, after having killed off their enemy. Since they tend to seek a new enemy to conquer, even though there isn't one, I set up a faux enemy across an ocean, in the general direction of the ships that you want the combat cargo to return to. The combat cargo then turns and begins heading toward the faux enemy, never really being able to get there, but it brings them closer to the beach (or landing area) so that they can be picked up by your units. It works very well since it doesn't really do anything to affect the battle.

Doug

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 11
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 8:43:35 AM   
MagpieS

quote:

ORIGINAL: DWReese

I have also noticed that loading tanks onto a ship and giving it landing craft that will take tanks results in no tanks leaving the ship,

I'm sorry, but I took your statement to mean that you were NOT able to successfully transport tanks to the beach via LCACs. If that is the case, then that's why I was saying contrary to your statement, because I have had no problem doing that.

But, just so that we are clear,.....I can transport the tank from the ship, to the land via a LCAC, where it then performs its attack functions. After the battle, I bring the tank to the beach area and send the same LCAC to the beach to retrieve the tank. For whatever reason, the LCAC arrives but refuses to pick up the tank, so the tank remains on the beach.

Perhaps I read (or misunderstood) what you wrote incorrectly. If so, I apologize. But, my statement the above is what I am having trouble with.

As a point of reference, I have been able to send troops over to the beach via helo, and then send a helo back to pick them up with no problem.

Are tanks not allowed to be picked up by LCACs from the beach? I don't know enough about actual loading procedures with regard to tanks and LCACs to offer an explanation, but it seems that it should be something that would be allowed to occur.

Doug

Not how you got that I thought LCAC's couldn't unload tanks when I said specifically landing craft can't unload tanks but LCAC seem to work.

There's no real-world reason why an LCAC couldn't pick up cargo from the beach and return it to the ship. In fact any landing craft should be able to do so.

Just another example of the shoddy programming in the game.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 12
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 12:26:40 PM   
DWReese

While it should work, I can't see that function being used that often. It's far more important to take and deliver cargo to a war zone than to pick up some that is ready to come back.

Doug

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 13
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 1:48:50 PM   
michaelm75au

I added a couple of AMX-30 Tanks to one of the LPDs in the Cargo tutorial, and the LCM-8s had no issue with loading them from the ship and unloading onto the beach.

Attachment (1)

Michael

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 14
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 1:52:49 PM   
DWReese

quote:

and the LCM-8s had no issue with loading them from the ship and unloading onto the beach.

I'm not sure that you read what I wrote properly.

I have no problem unloading the military cargo onto the beach.

I am trying to load the military cargo BACK ONTO the LCAC FROM THE BEACH, so that it can return to the ship.

Doug

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 15
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 2:31:37 PM   
michaelm75au

My response was to the other poster's statement that tanks won't unload from ships via landing craft.

Pickup cargo is currently for aircraft as mentioned earier.

Although if you add cargo (via editor) to a LC and send it back to the ship, it will unload any cargo when it docks.

So if you loaded the LC using the Lua ScenEdit_UpdateUnitCargo() to add the cargo to the LC unit, and then remove it from the beach, you could in theory, move it back to the ship.

Michael

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 16
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 5:48:04 PM   
DWReese

See if you can do it the way that I suggested, without a Lua script. See if you can load a tank that has previously been transported to the beach by a LCAC, back onto the LCAC when it's finished its mission. I can't do it. I can send helos to successfully pick up troops, but I can't load tanks onto LCACs.

Post #: 17
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 6:12:35 PM   
Whicker

you can't pickup units with a ship from land - only from a pier/ship - but there is no way in the game to send the tank to the pier. You can load cargo onto a ship from a pier or from a parent ship like LPD > LCAC.

The helo logic is separate, doesn't apply to ship units.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 18
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/6/2019 8:24:22 PM   
DWReese

Yep, that's exactly what I have been saying since the beginning of the thread.

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 19
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/7/2019 4:02:22 AM   
MagpieS

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm75au

My response was to the other poster's statement that tanks won't unload from ships via landing craft.

Interesting, what if you put infantry units on the ships as well.

My issue came about when I had a mix of tanks, infantry, trucks and guns.

Post #: 20
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/7/2019 4:03:28 AM   
MagpieS

quote:

ORIGINAL: Whicker

You can load cargo onto a ship from a pier

How's that done, I tried once before but it wouldn't work.

(in reply to Whicker)
Post #: 21
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/7/2019 10:11:06 AM   
michaelm75au

quote:

ORIGINAL: MagpieS

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm75au

Interesting, what if you put infantry units on the ships as well.

My issue came about when I had a mix of tanks, infantry, trucks and guns.

I was using the Cargo Tutorial and it has a mix of personnel, artillery and vehicles. I just replaced a couple of items with 2 tanks, and all could unload okay.

Michael

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 22
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/10/2019 12:25:54 AM   
thewood1

quote:

So came to download a couple updates and found this interesting comment. Nice way to call out a dev that has supported a game with free updates and significant feature additions over six years. And not a single so-called fan of the game and the devs even pushed back a little?

Wow, what a great crowd. I sure hope the warfaresims guys get enough money out of their official defense work so they can stop having to dealing with guys like this and a fan base that really doesn't seem to care. I hope they stop development as soon as they read stuff like that.

Great job guys. Seriously, when you look in the dictionary under appreciative, this thread should be embedded in the definition.

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 23
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/10/2019 1:49:48 PM   
sarjen

I just wanted to ignore the mentioned comment to not derail the thread and to not give a stage.That's the way i use the internet these days. I love this simulation and the devs are clearly my favorite devs by updating this game every so often. I am a customer of matrixgames since over 15 years and will support them and the devs of their good games as Everybody else.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 24
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/13/2019 2:25:08 AM   
MagpieS

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

quote:

So came to download a couple updates and found this interesting comment. Nice way to call out a dev that has supported a game with free updates and significant feature additions over six years. And not a single so-called fan of the game and the devs even pushed back a little?

Wow, what a great crowd. I sure hope the warfaresims guys get enough money out of their official defense work so they can stop having to dealing with guys like this and a fan base that really doesn't seem to care. I hope they stop development as soon as they read stuff like that.

Great job guys. Seriously, when you look in the dictionary under appreciative, this thread should be embedded in the definition.

Why should one be appreciative of paying for something that doesn't work?

My hope is that warfaresims read comments like mine and realise they need to up their game.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 25
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/13/2019 6:58:31 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

Why should one be appreciative of paying for something that doesn't work?

What specifically doesn't work? Platforms other than helos picking up carry-able units from the field?

When we released the major free update that introduced the pickup feature, we were very clear that for the time being this is enabled only for helicopters and VTOL-capable aircraft. We made no promise or mention for other platform types.

Will this ability be expanded in the future? Maybe, maybe not. It will depend on a number of factors; bullying by certain users NOT being one of them.

For any other issue that you think exists, you will have to follow the reporting guidelines as explained here. Thanks.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 8/13/2019 7:17:56 AM >

(in reply to MagpieS)
Post #: 26
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/13/2019 7:01:25 AM   
Dimitris

thewood1 < I am certain that this Steam thread has absolutely no relevance to this here gentleman's behavior.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 27
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/13/2019 10:40:46 PM   
BDukes

Gross string from all side.

Add item to list. Be nice to each other as you all want same thing.

Thank!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 28
RE: Help needed with Cargo operation - 8/13/2019 10:46:38 PM   
kevinkins

The phrase "shoddy programming" was over the top. I will chalk up the lack of community comment and defence of the devs to the time of year i.e. vacation and family time. It's summer. As always, let's turn the temperature down and be constructive in posts.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 29
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Help needed with Cargo operation Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI