Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Bad weather

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Bad weather Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Bad weather - 8/12/2019 1:16:42 PM   
sapper32

Is bad weather set at the same chance of occurring for both sides, I'm asking this as it seems that I get battered by Axis air then on my turn it's snowing or there is a sandstorm, If it's Axis turn 10 and clear will it be clear on Allied turn 10 ?

Ian

The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.
Post #: 1
RE: Bad weather - 8/12/2019 5:27:08 PM   
Boonierat1972

Weather is determined at the beginning of each turn, be it axis or allied. It can be a little frustrating if you're unlucky with the rolls! One thing I'm wondering is if weather is scripted to some extent, the 1942-43 winter in the east always seem a little milder than the 1941-42 one...

Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Vietnam Combat Operations

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 2
RE: Bad weather - 8/12/2019 6:00:17 PM   
sapper32

Ok so it is determined at the start of every turn, I guess I've had some bad luck, I wonder if the weather follows a historical pattern

The battle of Medjerda is almost forgotten,but was fought against highly disciplined German troops and blasted a route straight to Tunis it was a perfect infiltration battle and should be remembered as the best fought British battle of the war.

(in reply to Boonierat1972)
Post #: 3
RE: Bad weather - 8/12/2019 6:39:55 PM   
taffjones

Hi sapper32

As a rule of thumb the weather will always favour your opponent.

I our game its in my favour, in lots of my other games its against me.

We all know the frustration it causes.

There is a good discussion on it in the WiE forums, Bill and Hubert have given good feedback and the reasons for how the weather is set up in it.

Its well worth the read

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 4
RE: Bad weather - 8/12/2019 7:31:49 PM   
sapper32

Thanks for that will have a read through and see what there saying,I guess the way it works could realy work against a player if your unlucky, Ive had Sandstorms over my air units and the target hex was clear while the enemy air was in the clear and able to attack my front line units.

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 5
RE: Bad weather - 8/12/2019 11:27:51 PM   
Mithrilotter

I would vastly prefer to have the same weather conditions for both sides during the same turn. For example, weather can decide carrier battles by being bad weather over one side and good for the other side. Having the same weather is the only fair way for both sides.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 6
RE: Bad weather - 8/13/2019 9:12:33 AM   
sapper32

Yeah that makes sense too have the same weather each turn it seems fair.

(in reply to Mithrilotter)
Post #: 7
RE: Bad weather - 8/18/2019 1:29:46 PM   
Hartmann

quote:

ORIGINAL: taffjones

As a rule of thumb the weather will always favour your opponent.

Exactly my experience.

(in reply to taffjones)
Post #: 8
RE: Bad weather - 8/19/2019 3:05:14 PM   
Hubert Cater

quote:

ORIGINAL: sapper32

Yeah that makes sense too have the same weather each turn it seems fair.

quote:

Mithrilotter

Playing with the "same weather for both sides of a turn", is only the same weather for the Axis and then the Allies, but not necessarily the same for the Allies and then Axis.

For example, Axis goes first in most of the campaigns, so the Allies are always second under any specific date, i.e. before the date and weather advances to the next turn date and weather.

From 1939 to let's say 1941, when the Axis are on the offensive, the Allies can always be guaranteed to defend/respond to any Axis aggression with the same weather.

However, once the balance tips and the Allies go on more offensives later on in game, because the Allies go second under a specific date, the Axis, which is now on the defensive, is not guaranteed the same weather to respond to any Allied attacks.

Why? Because the date rolls over to the next date after an Allied turn, and the weather only possibly changes between Allied and Axis turns, whereas the weather is always guaranteed between an Axis and Allied turn when you play with same weather for both sides.

Essentially, and because the turns are alternate and not simultaneous, I would argue that even in a system where "weather is the same for both sides", you'll reach a point where weather is not the same for both sides depending upon who has the initiative.

At least with the current more random system, while not perfect, weather can at times be the same, or different etc., with no clear advantage to one side or the other.

(in reply to sapper32)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Bad weather Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI