Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling'

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/19/2019 10:10:23 PM   
aaffins

Currently on March 16, '42 in an RA PBEM game, using the latest version.

The game crashes at the same point during the combat replay, and am fairly certain it's during the naval movement phase. We believe we've narrowed the issue down to an Allied tanker convoy transiting on to the map. It's scheduled to enter the map on 3/16 from Abidjan. This is not the first time the Allied player has sent convoys on this route, so we're at a bit of a loss. We are using the extended map and this is one of the areas adjusted, so that may be part of the issue, but again we're fairly deep in the game so of course ships have used this route many times before.

In determining which TF was causing the issue, we learned that this specific TF would not show on the list of TFs, nor could it manually be selected.

Thanks to anybody that can provide suggestions.
Post #: 1
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/19/2019 10:37:39 PM   
geofflambert

Never, ever change the orders or destination of off-map TFs. If you do they will spend a good bit of time in the twilight zone. This should have been posted in the main forum.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 2
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/20/2019 1:07:03 AM   
aaffins

Opponent is aware of that issue and is fairly certain he did not issue any orders after the convoy left Abidjan, so we don't think that is the issue.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 3
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/20/2019 3:18:45 AM   
BBfanboy

The game can be confused if you do something like change the home port of the off-map TF to another off-map port that is not on a direct route off-map e.g. changing it from Abidan to Cape Town before the TF is on-map.

The AI does not plot hexes off-map - it calculates how long the TF has to stay in the holding box for its movement and on the appropriate date it places it on-map. Because it is not doing the off-map movement hex by hex, it cannot figure out routing to another off-map home port if there is an on-map segment too. This kind of "divide by zero - does not compute" situation could crash the program.

Similarly, changing the destination or adding waypoints could confuse the game movement calculations.

Another rookie mistake is assuming that there is no fuel usage while moving between off-map and on-map segments. There is normal usage and if you used full speed you could easily be out of fuel before arriving on map. But this should not cause a crash.

Having said all that, the most common cause of crashes is a mismatch of game versions or map versions. The Extended Map has additional features in the area between Abidan and Aden so if one side was using the extended map and the other side had the Stock Map, that would not compute either.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 4
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/20/2019 3:35:26 AM   
aaffins

Thx for the tips! BBfanboy, feels like I'm living evidence regarding your signature. I may have inadvertently changed home ports on the Tanker TF. We even went so far as to load the game together to try and identify the issue, to no avail. Assuming I committed one of the rookie mistakes above, is the best (or only) solution to revert back to an older turn?

Hugely unfortunate if so. Pretty sure I sank the Kaga about 5 turns ago in a skilled (lucky) SCTF engagement.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/20/2019 3:36:31 AM   
aaffins

Also, I'm using aaffins computer while we are at the beach and forgot to log in as me. This is Cheesesteak. Saying my name makes me hungry. Sigh.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 6
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/20/2019 5:38:41 PM   
geofflambert

Does the game actually crash or just the replay? In other words, it sounded like you were still able to process new turns and the next replay would crash as well. There's nothing in the replay you can't see on the combat log. You might just continue, eventually it will stop crashing once that TF either enters the map or reaches an off-map base.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 7
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/21/2019 2:16:55 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Does the game actually crash or just the replay? In other words, it sounded like you were still able to process new turns and the next replay would crash as well. There's nothing in the replay you can't see on the combat log. You might just continue, eventually it will stop crashing once that TF either enters the map or reaches an off-map base.

How does the Japanese player access the game then. Doesn't he have to go through the replay first?

Post #: 8
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/21/2019 2:19:23 PM   
HansBolter

quote:

There are plenty of things in the replay you can't see in the combat report.

How about the size of the shell or bomb for each hit for a prime example?

A 16" shell does a hell or a lot more damage than a .50 caliber.

Hans

Post #: 9
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/21/2019 3:14:58 PM   
geofflambert

Hardly ever see surface actions. Bombs and torpedoes are what I care about. I'm in 2/44 and we haven't had a surface action except once when a CA force ambushed a troop convoy. Sunk or not sunk was what mattered.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 10
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/21/2019 3:19:32 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cheesesteak

quote:

How does the Japanese player access the game then. Doesn't he have to go through the replay first?

That's why I asked if the game crashed or just the replay. If just the replay, the Japanese turn would still follow.

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 11
RE: Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' - 8/22/2019 1:37:24 PM   
Cheesesteak

Ah duh, I misunderstood. Yes the whole game crashes. Funny you say that about SC, this game has had loads and loads of it. I've lost a fair number of CLs, the repulse, and a few others in SC engagements. A CS, CVL, and likely the Kaga have all bit the dust from 6-14inch allied munition. Or as I like to think of them, "fast moving presents"

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Game crash caused by off map convoy 'stalling' Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI