Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/15/2019 11:42:44 PM   
Seminole

Turn 25

Blizzard offensive unleashed!

Overall strategic picture at beginning of turn:

Losses before the offensive commences:

The grind in Leningrad and successful counter offensive at Gomel has reaped two dozen Guards formations:

Blizzard across the front line, but the lower Dnepr is choked with pontoon bridge wrecking ice, and south of Gomel no attacks are launched.

Attacks across the front line, but obvious concentration by Northwestern and Volkhov Fronts:

80% of these attacks are successful, but the Germans extract a significant toll from their fortifications.

A few failures, but nothing strategically significant.

4k more German losses for 40k Soviet. Expecting to see this ratio improve significantly in a week or two as he is dislodged from his fortifications.

A more detailed look from the Baltic to the Black Sea.
Leningrad Front does not participate in the offensive. AGN's strongest units are here, trying to hold the advance for a launching point in '42. STAVKA intends to capture the bulk of AGN, and to accomplish this must stretch the line, and keep as many German units to the east as possible.
Zhukov and Timoshenko create cracks in the German front lines, but mobile reserves are unable to position themselves appropriately to exploit gaps produced.
The attacks along Kalinin, Western, and Bryansk Fronts are to increase overall German attrition and start grinding down morale in the blizzard.
Southwestern Front and its sister Fronts to the south are idle this week. While a few units have enough mobility to attack there is no reason to accept the penalties involved. For now the second major operation in the blizzard offensive has to wait.

Overall strategic picture at the end of the turn:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 91
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 2:42:47 AM   
Seminole

Turn 26

Overall strategic view at the start of the turn:

OoB:

In the Pskov sector Zhukov's Northwestern Front continues to push west. His forces are generally in front of Timoshenko's and trying to force a breakthrough. 11th Army finds itself wandering farther south seeking weakness.
Timoshenko's Volkhov front is encountering stiff resistance on the direct axis to Pskov, and so he begins shifting the weight of his offensive further south behind 11th Army, looking for a gap in the line his cavalry can exploit.

Kalinin Front and Western Front push along the line, forcing the Germans out of their entrenchments. Liberating Vitebsk is a goal in this sector.

In the center sector Western Front pushes toward Mogilev while Bryansk Front seeks to evict the Germans from Gomel. The attack flows around the city as 2nd and 5th Panzer are still in the area after their unsuccessful efforts to open the Gomel Pocket.

South of Chernigov the river has frozen and STAVKA orders the offensive to commence.
Paratroopers descend behind the lines and sever the main rail line supplying the Germans all the way to Dnepropetrovsk. THe goal is two fold, further hamper supplies and preclude any strategic repositioning of the mechanized formations that are currently in the Dnepr bend.
Southwestern Front seeks bridgeheads south of Kiev, while Guards Rifle Divisions cross north of Cherkassy and threaten the German mountain troops holding the high ground on the western bank of the Dnepr with encirclement.
South of Cherkassy the Soviets engage their main effort. Here is where two armies of Southern Front loaded with cavalry corps and supported with additional mechanized forces who will serve as the northern pincer in a bid to neuter AGS. Gains of up to 30 miles are achieved, and two German divisions and a Hungarian security unit find their flanks overrun.
Additional attacks are launched trying to isolate the German mechanized formations wintering in Dnepropetrovsk.
Further south the ice isn't yet solid enough to allow the offensive to begin. The remaining cavalry corps of Southern Front are forced to wait another week. STAVKA can only hope the Axis don't yet recognize the danger.

Losses this week:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 92
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 2:37:40 PM   
Seminole

Turn 27

Overall strategic picture at the start of the turn:

Slow progress on a broad front in the push toward Pskov. Timoshenko chases back the German cavalry and wide gap appears in the front line, but the cavalry are unable to exploit it yet.
STAVKA is growing frustrated with the pace to Pskov, but Zhukov and Timoshenko can see the Germans are starting to get stretched, especially at the headwaters of the Sorot river.

Western Front continues their own broad push along the line toward Vitebsk and Mogilev. The Germans are out of their fortifications along the line at this point, and progress and casualties should pick up over the rest of the month.

Germans battle to secure the flanks of Gomel, but the Soviets continue to push them back. Farther south a string of regiments are screening the Pripyat and Bryansk Front pushes them deeper into the swamps.

Southwestern Front continues curling the southern flank of Kiev.
The Cherkassy axis continues to make good progress, and tie up forces that could try to bottle the cavalry of the northern pincer.
In the Dnepr bend the Germans are calling back their armor and trying to stem the tide of cavalry making their way toward Kirovograd. Dnepropetrovsk is held by a single Hungarian security unit as the Germans begin shifting defenses back west.

The Dnepr is finally frozen solid to the Black Sea, and the final major axis of advance is opened up.
This sector is screened almost exclusively with Rumanian forces, only a single German mountain division closer to Zaporozhye is available for support, and it is on the line.
The Rumanians are scattered with a critical exception. The 10th Rum Inf Div hold their ground, even as Soviet attacks push the rest of the line back 20 miles deep. Frustrated that the position had been held against two prior attacks STAVKA ordered the cavalry corps forward. In the haste to participate they were not relegated to local command, and their concentration was squandered, resulting in the Rumanians holding out for a third time, and thwarting a deeper advance by the Southern Army.

Losses before and after Soviet attacks.

OoB:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 93
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 3:35:48 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Seminole
Turn 26
Paratroopers descend behind the lines and sever the main rail line supplying the Germans all the way to Dnepropetrovsk.

How do you know that ? By mousing over?

“Aim towards enemy“.
- instructions on U.S. rocket launcher

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 94
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 3:40:31 PM   
Crackaces

I might have missed it but is this game +1? Harsh winter? I count the armor formations in contact and this could be devastating in the end.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 95
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 3:52:32 PM   
Seminole

Turn 28

Overall strategic picture at beginning of the turn:

In the northern sector Northwestern Front finally succeeds in breaking the rail line from Pskov to Leningrad.
5th Airborne Bde is dropped to snap the rail north of Lake Peipus and prevent an early strategic withdrawal. STAVKA concerned that AGS developments will compel OKH to withdraw AGN from the Leningrad salient before it is too late.
Port at Oranienbaum could prevent isolation of the Pskov Pocket. Port is now acting as rail head for the Leningrad salient, so in a sense we're lucky we made that move right now and noticed the issue. Need to paradrop this facility, which was not in the original plan.

STAVKA orders Northwestern Front to continue their push on the rail line while Timoshenko's Volkhov Front is given the objective of reaching the southern shore of Lake Pskov.
Paradrops will be conducted to isolate the bulk of AGN for liquidation by Northwestern and Leningrad Fronts.
Zhukov bristles at being sidelined and issues his own orders for a 'reconnaissance in force' to lake Pskov.

Along the center sector the Germans pull back, so there is little action here.

Along the southern Dnepr the Axis try to shorten their line and hold their positions.

The new line, without the advantage of fortifications, melts under the broad Soviet advance.
Both the northern and southern cavalry spearheads break into open ground.

As the week comes to a close the cavalry scouts of Southern Army are a mere 30 miles apart. The situation for AGS is extremely dangerous and must have dawned upon OKH by now.

Ground losses:

OoB:

Overall strategic picture at the end of the week:

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 96
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 3:55:41 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crackaces

I might have missed it but is this game +1? Harsh winter? I count the armor formations in contact and this could be devastating in the end.

(in reply to Crackaces)
Post #: 97
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 4:04:33 PM   
xhoel

Impressive action all around. You made good use of your mobile forces and nice to see that you are using Paratroopers in actual combat drops behind enemy lines.

You are doing a good job (save for that mistake in the south, don't leave combat units under Stavka) but your opponent seems to be making mistake after mistake. I have no clue what his strategy is and it appears that he has not wintered any of his mobile formations, which will give you a really good edge in 1942, assuming the game even goes that far.

AAR WITW: Gotterdammerung 43-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4490035
AAR WITE: A Clash of Titans 41-45
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4488465
WitE 2 Tester and Test Coordinator

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 98
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 4:04:50 PM   
Telemecus

I think this is a prime example of why you should never put a group of southern allies together to cover whole stretches of the front. Unlike others I do think you should use them on the frontlines in blizzard, they have extensive uses but not like this. The Rumanians and other southern allies need to be mixed in with German units and under the same HQs. You can put southern allies into German HQs, or German units into allied HQs. But above all do not hold a whole section of line just with allies. One possibilty might be alternating allies and Germans, or have a first line of allies and a second line of Germans. The allies simply will not hold long continguous sections of the front exclusively on their own.

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 8/17/2019 4:35:23 PM >

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 99
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 4:08:08 PM   
xhoel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Telemecus

I think this is a prime example of why you should never put a group of southern allies together to cover whole stretches of the front. Unlike others I do think you should use them on the frontlines in blizzard, they have extensive uses but not like this. The Rumanians and other southern allies need to be mixed in with German units and under the same HQs. You can put southern allies into German HQs, or German units into allied HQs. But above all do not hold a whole section of line just with allies. One possibilty might be alteranting allies and Germans, or have a first line of allies and a second line of Germans. The allies simply will not hold long continguos sections of the front exclsuively on their own.

Strongly agree with this. I commented the same thing to Neogodhobo in his AAR against TheLysander. It is a shame to see players repeat the same mistakes over and over again, when a quick glance at other AARs will show them what is a good strategy and what is a no go.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 100
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 4:16:50 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

quote:

Turn 26
Paratroopers descend behind the lines and sever the main rail line supplying the Germans all the way to Dnepropetrovsk.

Reports of enemy rail activity provided by partisan forces.
The FBD appears to be working southwestward back toward Odessa, so the drop should create a serious and lasting disruption to strategic movement and supply.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 101
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 4:49:07 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou
quote:

Turn 26

In answer to the technical question yes mouse over works, and there are other ways too. In the example below you will see it says Axis rail damage is 1 - which almost always means it is a hex that has just been repaired this turn and so will be with zero damage by next turn.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 102
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 5:30:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: xhoel

quote:

I think this is a prime example of why you should never put a group of southern allies together to cover whole stretches of the front. Unlike others I do think you should use them on the frontlines in blizzard, they have extensive uses but not like this. The Rumanians and other southern allies need to be mixed in with German units and under the same HQs. You can put southern allies into German HQs, or German units into allied HQs. But above all do not hold a whole section of line just with allies. One possibilty might be alteranting allies and Germans, or have a first line of allies and a second line of Germans. The allies simply will not hold long continguos sections of the front exclsuively on their own.

Strongly agree with this. I commented the same thing to Neogodhobo in his AAR against TheLysander. It is a shame to see players repeat the same mistakes over and over again, when a quick glance at other AARs will show them what is a good strategy and what is a no go.

I believe the term for using Germans to stiffen allied troops was 'corseting'. The Germans used it in North Africa as well.

(in reply to xhoel)
Post #: 103
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 5:37:08 PM   
Crackaces

This game is attack +1 and Harsh winter. I would require Telemecus to agree to this setup but your opponent is likely to give up. The German’s have not demonstrated any advanced skills and are about to be depleted, morale for the best units will be smashed, and the +1 is going to give you enough Guards units to stop any attacks.

I would wager that the Germans will discover this between turn 45 and 50.

"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 104
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 6:04:59 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
quote:

quote:

I believe the term for using Germans to stiffen allied troops was 'corseting'. The Germans used it in North Africa as well.

That is interesting. I know for many it has a derogatory sense for southern allies. But it can also go the other way. I personally found it really useful to put Rumanian cavalry brigades into German HQs and place them on reserve behind the German infantry when on the defensive. It is one of the few times the extra MPs did count and so they would fight more than one hex a turn and sometimes tip the balance of a battle. Rumanian mountain brigades we know can be the stronger unit in blizzard. And there are weak German units that need 'corsetting' too. Stacking allied units with German ones when they get victories is also a useful way of building up their victories/morale/XP too. I once saw a large group of Rumanian infantry (not just guards) on 60 morale this way which is useful. And if the allied units are there to take the frontline attirition, or flip back no mans land hexes to friendly control to make the enemy use up their MPs, they are positively the things you would not want german units to be doing. So perhaps should be seen less as derogatory and more as simple good sense.

I wonder if there was a terms for putting German units under allied command, as opposed to just mixing them up geographically. A famous example I guess was Rommel who was technically subservient to an italian commander. Often German generals under allied commanders did not respect chains of command in these cases, and felt they could always appeal a command to another German higher up the chain of command. But I wonder if this was always the case?

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 8/17/2019 6:06:17 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 105
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/17/2019 6:20:21 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch
quote:

quote:

That is interesting. I know for many it has a derogatory sense for southern allies. But it can also go the other way. I personally found it really useful to put Rumanian cavalry brigades into German HQs and place them on reserve behind the German infantry when on the defensive. It is one of the few times the extra MPs did count and so they would fight more than one hex a turn and sometimes tip the balance of a battle. Rumanian mountain brigades we know can be the stronger unit in blizzard. And there are weak German units that need 'corsetting' too. Stacking allied units with German ones when they get victories is also a useful way of building up their victories/morale/XP too. I once saw a large group of Rumanian infantry (not just guards) on 60 morale this way which is useful. And if the allied units are there to take the frontline attirition, or flip back no mans land hexes to friendly control to make the enemy use up their MPs, they are positively the things you would not want german units to be doing. So perhaps should be seen less as derogatory and more as simple good sense.

I wonder if there was a terms for putting German units under allied command, as opposed to just mixing them up geographically. A famous example I guess was Rommel who was technically subservient to an italian commander. Often German generals under allied commanders did not respect chains of command in these cases, and felt they could always appeal a command to another German higher up the chain of command. But I wonder if this was always the case?

I assume that German officers felt free to disobey 'orders' from non-German superiors, notifying whoever they thought appropriate...

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 106
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/18/2019 8:08:40 PM   
Seminole

Turn 29

Happy New Year!

The new year means a new Guards unit limit, and we have plenty of candidates:

101st AT Artillery Regiment was renamed 3rd Guards AT Artillery Regiment
103rd Artillery Regiment RVGK was renamed 2nd Guards Artillery Regiment RVGK
185th Rifle Division was renamed 24th Guards Rifle Division
438th Artillery Regiment RVGK was renamed 3rd Guards Artillery Regiment RVGK
73rd Rifle Division was renamed 25th Guards Rifle Division
387th Howitzer Regiment was renamed 3rd Guards Howitzer Regiment
117th Rifle Division was renamed 26th Guards Rifle Division
102nd Howitzer Regiment was renamed 4th Guards Howitzer Regiment
403rd BM Howitzer Regiment was renamed 5th Guards BM Howitzer Regiment
275th Artillery Regiment RVGK was renamed 4th Guards Artillery Regiment RVGK
302nd Howitzer Regiment was renamed 5th Guards Howitzer Regiment
89th Rifle Division was renamed 27th Guards Rifle Division
147th Rifle Division was renamed 28th Guards Rifle Division
193rd Rifle Division was renamed 29th Guards Rifle Division
200th Rifle Division was renamed 30th Guards Rifle Division
55th Rifle Division was renamed 31st Guards Rifle Division
6th Rifle Division was renamed 32nd Guards Rifle Division
33rd Rifle Division was renamed 33rd Guards Rifle Division
188th Rifle Division was renamed 34th Guards Rifle Division
257th Rifle Division was renamed 35th Guards Rifle Division
258th Rifle Division was renamed 36th Guards Rifle Division
270th Rifle Division was renamed 37th Guards Rifle Division
271st Rifle Division was renamed 38th Guards Rifle Division
275th Rifle Division was renamed 39th Guards Rifle Division
282nd Rifle Division was renamed 40th Guards Rifle Division
326th Rifle Division was renamed 41st Guards Rifle Division
353rd Rifle Division was renamed 42nd Guards Rifle Division
371st Rifle Division was renamed 43rd Guards Rifle Division
52nd Cavalry Division was renamed 8th Guards Cavalry Division (12th Cavalry Corps)
107th Rifle Division was renamed 44th Guards Rifle Division
109th Rifle Division was renamed 45th Guards Rifle Division
138th Rifle Division was renamed 46th Guards Rifle Division
192nd Rifle Division was renamed 47th Guards Rifle Division

Overall strategic picture at the beginning of the turn:

We start in the south where the real action is.
Southern Army's cavalry have managed to sweep away a few Rumanian units and link up.

Cavalry swarm the gaps in the German lines and 101st Light Inf (Mtn) Div finds itself isolated while the westernmost Pzr Div in the pocket is forced back.

The Soviets rout the 101st to prevent any chance of a break out and close the vise on the Krivoi Rog pocket from all sides. Yakov Cherevichenko is toasted in the Kremlin for the speed with which he closed the trap on the bulk of AGS.

Back in the northern sector Northwestern Front continues pressing. They create some gaps again in the German line, but again can't quite break free of enemy ZOC and exploit the opportunity.
South of Pskov Timoshenko nearly has the 5 cavalry corps assigned to his Front into open terrain following the Sorot river, with only a regiment of German cavalry in the way.

An close up of the whole front line:

OoB:

Destroyed Units:

Ground Losses:

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 107
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/18/2019 8:26:46 PM   
Beria

"Stalingrad upon the Dnepr bend"!

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 108
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/18/2019 8:28:18 PM   
Telemecus

There was an AAR where this sort of movement in the south reached the pre war border and a 1942 Rumania and Hungary surrender. This is a possibility here.

(in reply to Beria)
Post #: 109
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/19/2019 4:33:44 PM   
Balou

Game over ? Better part of 1PzA gone, about 40+ axis counter in the southern bag, and another disaster looming south of Leningrad.

“Aim towards enemy“.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 110
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/19/2019 6:15:03 PM   
MattFL

Game was over about 27 turns ago.

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 111
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/19/2019 8:55:15 PM   
Seminole

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattFL

Turns 1 and 2 were rough.

< Message edited by Seminole -- 8/19/2019 8:56:12 PM >

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 112
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/19/2019 9:05:05 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: MattFL

You're absolutely right. Didn't see until now what happened in turn 1.

“Aim towards enemy“.

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 113
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/21/2019 12:15:29 AM   
EwaldvonKleist

Very good progress. Even though you really burn through your replacements.
I would continue attacking at full speed even after the blizzard. Don't give him a chance to fortify.

< Message edited by EwaldvonKleist -- 8/21/2019 12:25:40 AM >

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 114
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/21/2019 2:25:11 AM   
Seminole

Turn 30

Overall strategic picture at the start of the turn:

AGN is pulling out of the Leningrad salient. This means we don't have to suffer against their fortifications and Leningrad Front can finally start attacking.
AGC pulls back out of contact, leaving Mogilev and Vitebsk without firing a shot. Kalinin and Western Fronts pursue as rapidly as possible.
AGS is trying to reform a line. Southern Front continues trying to overrun Axis units and create additional pockets. Transcaucasus and N. Caucasus Fronts squeeze the formations trapped in the Krivoi Rog pocket.

Zhukov's orders for a 'reconnaissance in force' are understood and heeded. Under a hammer of blows the Germans pull back toward Pskov and create a gap that Northwest Front's lone cavalry corps can finally exploit.
Orders for the para drops are issued and the first sticks come down in the swamps between lake Pskov and lake Peipus securing the handful of existing paths.
Additionally the iced in but somehow still functioning port on the Baltic was seized in a para raid.
Finally the Tallinn to Leningrad rail was again cut, this time west of the Narva river by a final para drop.
Here I failed to recall the 40% exp. rule for para drops and mistakenly had fresh inexperienced airborne as the only ones available and the remainder of my most experienced where still in the south. This meant that I couldn't complete the isolation this turn as originally planned. Zhukov begins immediate planning to seize the closest port on the Gulf of Riga.
Timoshenko's Volkhov Front has again failed to break free, and consequently he finds Zhukov seizing the glory. With Zhukov drawing up plans to funnel his army through the frozen swamps Timoshenko still hopes to find favor with Stalin by surrounding and seizing Pskov.

Southwestern Front continues pushing the flanks of Kiev looking to liberate the city while farther south the hunt for more Axis units is at full tilt.

While the Krivoi Rog pocket is being crushed in the rear attacks continue and more German units are finding themselves isolated. The German contingent is too thin at this point to concoct a line, and any attempt to stand fast leads quickly to isolation.
Nikolaev falls and Odessa doesn't appear to be far behind.

Units destroyed this week:

Ground Losses before and after Soviet action:

OoB before and after Soviet action:

VP status:

Overall strategic picture at the end of the week:

(in reply to EwaldvonKleist)
Post #: 115
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/21/2019 4:20:01 PM   
Brandon_37

turn 1 was probably the worst axis opening i have ever seen, i dont think anyone could have recovered from 2 clear turns lost.

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 116
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/21/2019 9:31:29 PM   
MattFL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brandon_37

turn 1 was probably the worst axis opening i have ever seen, i dont think anyone could have recovered from 2 clear turns lost.

Actually, Turns 1 and Turns 2 pale in comparison to what happened after. Those two turns don't result in the destruction of entire panzergruppes…..

(in reply to Brandon_37)
Post #: 117
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/21/2019 11:46:03 PM   
Sammy5IsAlive

I don't disagree with the above, but lets give credit where credit is due - he is still playing in a situation where many (if not most) players would have quit a while ago. The blizzard offensive looks like it has been good fun for the Soviets, but that's only been possible because Teun has been a good sport and stuck with it.

Hopefully as harsh as the lessons have been he has learnt from them and will do better if/when he plays his next game. That's not just in terms of 'on-map' play but in terms of general game options - +1 attack/full blizzard/no house rule for para-drops is a pretty unforgiving setup for any Axis player, let alone for one who is inexperienced (that is no criticism of you btw Seminole - you are fully entitled to play the setup that is in front of you).

< Message edited by Sammy5IsAlive -- 8/21/2019 11:47:34 PM >

(in reply to MattFL)
Post #: 118
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/22/2019 2:11:14 AM   
Seminole

I too would like to credit Teun557 for sticking it out.
I've accepted the return game and we'll be trying this the other way around shortly.
I'll wrap the AAR on turn 33 when I can get some time.

(in reply to Sammy5IsAlive)
Post #: 119
RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End - 8/22/2019 11:25:33 PM   
xhoel

I think Teun557 needs to take a good hard look at the game using this AAR to see where his mistakes were and reflect on what can be done to improve his game. I think one of the key things that you should practice more and understand better is the way pockets work and also learn unit move costs and ZOC moves. The encirclements have been very badly done in this game and there is a lot of room for improvement. The German success in the east relies on creating pockets and destroying Soviet formations.

With that being said, you can learn from your mistakes and come out stronger in the end. Don't be discouraged by your defeat or by other player criticism.

@Seminole: You have played a great game as the Soviets. Really well conducted Blizzard offensive. Congrats on all the victories achieved. In your next game I would suggest you to implement some house rules on para drops as the game does not model such operations properly.

Cheers!

(in reply to Seminole)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Teun557 (Axis) vs Seminole (Soviet) - Bitter End Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI