Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

at what stage of the turn do TFs disband?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/24/2019 5:41:26 PM   
johnbmac

at what stage of the turn do TFs disband?
Post #: 1
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/24/2019 6:29:24 PM   
BBfanboy

There is a "TFs Return to Port" step at the end of the night and the day naval movement phases.
I can't prove it, but I believe the TF that enters port in one phase must wait until the next phase to disband. This is suggested by the fact that I often find TFs which are set to "Auto Disband" are sitting in port but not yet disbanded at the beginning of the next turn.
The disbanding TFs step could be part of the "Return to Port" step or a separate step.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to johnbmac)
Post #: 2
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/24/2019 6:51:40 PM   
RangerJoe

It could also depend upon the number of operation points that the task force has used as to whether or not it will disband.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/26/2019 6:04:31 AM   
Schorsch

refuel-options also need to be considered, which take the biggest chunk out of Ops points

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 4
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 5:46:28 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

There is a "TFs Return to Port" step at the end of the night and the day naval movement phases.
I can't prove it, but I believe the TF that enters port in one phase must wait until the next phase to disband. This is suggested by the fact that I often find TFs which are set to "Auto Disband" are sitting in port but not yet disbanded at the beginning of the next turn.
The disbanding TFs step could be part of the "Return to Port" step or a separate step.

This is my suspicion also.

If the TF completes its movement before the night phase is over, it will disband after the second movement phase (and before the air phases begin). But it will still be there for the night air phase.

Even if a TF can move to its target and disband in 1 turn (2 phases), it often won't do so (or never will?).

I only rely on it in the first instance - where it can complete its movement in 1 movement phase.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 8:32:14 AM   
jdsrae

Might be similar to what I’ve seen a bit of lately, where a CS task force moves into a port hex but hasn’t had time to dock before the turn ends.
When I see it I click manually to tell it to dock, but if I left it alone i assume it would do it itself anyway then start loading.
I always assumed that the “return to port” step was to tell an “at sea” task force to move to port, that would mean docking or disbanding is the next step that occurs during the next tick of the game clock.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 6
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 11:27:29 AM   
HansBolter

When moving Support TFs (ie..AEs, AKEs, ASs, ADs etc...) from one port to another to to keep up with the advance of the front lines I typically set them to auto-disband.

They are NEVER automatically disbanded the turn following the turn they move into the hex.

It doesn't seem to matter if they moved into the hex in the night or day phase, they still do not automatically disband until they have spent a full turn sitting in the port.

I typically disband them manually the turn after they enter the port, almost always shaking my head in disbelief/dissatisfaction that the auto-disband function never seems to work.

Don't know if it is a bug or WAD.

< Message edited by HansBolter -- 8/27/2019 11:28:31 AM >

Hans

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 7
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 12:37:58 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

When moving Support TFs (ie..AEs, AKEs, ASs, ADs etc...) from one port to another to to keep up with the advance of the front lines I typically set them to auto-disband.

They are NEVER automatically disbanded the turn following the turn they move into the hex.

It doesn't seem to matter if they moved into the hex in the night or day phase, they still do not automatically disband until they have spent a full turn sitting in the port.

I typically disband them manually the turn after they enter the port, almost always shaking my head in disbelief/dissatisfaction that the auto-disband function never seems to work.

As was mentioned in other posts, refueling could account for them not disbanding. As an experiment, try setting them to "do not refuel" and Auto-disband to see if they sometimes will do so. I am fairly sure that about 20% of my support TFs do Auto-disband. I will watch for some evidence in my current game.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 8
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 1:14:03 PM   
btd64

quote:

quote:

As was mentioned in other posts, refueling could account for them not disbanding. As an experiment, try setting them to "do not refuel" and Auto-disband to see if they sometimes will do so. I am fairly sure that about 20% of my support TFs do Auto-disband. I will watch for some evidence in my current game.

There is a port size limit. If I recall correctly. Should be in the manual....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/27/2019 4:28:40 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

quote:

quote:

There is a port size limit. If I recall correctly. Should be in the manual....GP

Not sure what you mean here GP. There is nothing in port size directly affecting disbandment, but if you mean the port size affects how much refueling/rearming it can do (via ops points), that is true.

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 10
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/29/2019 4:55:27 AM   
Lokasenna

Also check if they have stuff loaded and if you set them to Do Not Unload or not...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? - 8/29/2019 11:32:55 AM   
HansBolter

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

Also check if they have stuff loaded and if you set them to Do Not Unload or not...

For me at least, Support TFs dsiplacing forward always have 'do not unload' orders.

They usually don't have 'do not refuel' orders so it may be refueling upon arrival that is preventing disbanding in the turn of arrival.

Hans

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> at what stage of the turn do TFs disband? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI