Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Some Questions About Base Ownership

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Some Questions About Base Ownership Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/28/2019 11:20:53 PM   
pcasey

In game, there are bases.

Bases in turn have a controlling Headquarters e.g. a base might be owned by China Command or Southeast Asia or Abda.

When you capture a base, the controlling headquarters is set to match one of the units that conquered the base (not sure what the precise logic is here, but you end up with a mix of base ownership if you have, say, a mixed stack of British, Australian, and Chinese troops conquer a number of bases in Burma).

You can choose to spend PP to change the ownership of one base to another.

The main question I have though is ... what does base ownership concretely impact.

Do garrison requirements go up/down based on base ownership?

Do units fight better in a base of their own command?

Do they recover morale/devices better?

Do they use less supplies?

Are they more likely to get supplies?

etc.

Basically I'm looking to understand if there's a mechanical advantage to spending PP to align my bases with the forces fighting in and/or near them.
Post #: 1
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/28/2019 11:53:57 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: pcasey

Bases in turn have a controlling Headquarters e.g. a base might be owned by China Command or Southeast Asia or Abda.

When you capture a base, the controlling headquarters is set to match one of the units that conquered the base (not sure what the precise logic is here, but you end up with a mix of base ownership if you have, say, a mixed stack of British, Australian, and Chinese troops conquer a number of bases in Burma).

The main question I have though is ... what does base ownership concretely impact.

etc.

Basically I'm looking to understand if there's a mechanical advantage to spending PP to align my bases with the forces fighting in and/or near them.

AFAIK there is no effect on LCUs.

If air units are attached to a restricted HQ, they can only rebase to bases which align to that HQ. So a squadron assigned to Continental US can't rebase to Pearl without spending PP. This *can* matter in the Burma/India area for the Allies since there are some restricted squadrons. You could also pay PP to assign an Aleutians base to Canada to use their restricted squadrons, etc.

Whether a base is "US" or not will also impact generation of small craft (PT boats and the like) though you can get around that.

Those are the only things I know of.

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 2
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/29/2019 3:55:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pcasey

etc.

The conquered base will be assigned to the Command HQ of the first unit in the stack that conquered it, even if that unit has no assault value.
Units in a stack are sorted by nationality first, then by their index number in the database (at the upper left of the unit screen). US units appear first, then British Units, etc. But if the US unit first in the stack was assigned to a British Command HQ such as ABDA, the base would become an British ABDA administered base instead of a US one.

Very rarely should you need to use precious PP to change a base's administration HQ. One example would be changing a Northern Oz base to ABDA so you can fly in Dutch air units before the DEI is overrun. That would give you more time to get PP to buy out the Dutch air units to an unrestricted HQ.

Base administration does not affect garrison requirements, fighting or recovery effectiveness or supply availability.

As has been already posted, it can affect which air units can be based there and it can affect whether PT/MTB/MGB boats or Barges/LCTs or mini-subs can be created there.
There is no discrimination based on nationality or race in the game!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 3
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/29/2019 11:42:33 AM   
HansBolter

It can also effect what units are allowed to be based there if those units are restricted.

As an example, restricted Dutch units can be evacuated to Australia if an Australian base is converted to Dutch control.

You need to have an unrestricted Dutch unit moved there first because you can only change control of a base to a command of a unit present in the hex.

Hans

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/29/2019 6:16:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

It can also effect what units are allowed to be based there if those units are restricted.

As an example, restricted Dutch units can be evacuated to Australia if an Australian base is converted to Dutch control.

You need to have an unrestricted Dutch unit moved there first because you can only change control of a base to a command of a unit present in the hex.

This is precisely the situation I outlined, only I would use ABDA instead of Dutch (KNIL) control because ABDA is unrestricted and Aussie units could still use it.
It is easy enough to use a fast ship to bring in an ABDA unit from Malaya, or even the ABDA HQ from Singapore.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 5
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/29/2019 8:29:49 PM   
jdsrae

Political Points required to change an Aussie base to Dutch would be infinity!
But Darwin and the NW coast was part of ABDA at the start so that is an interesting option to change some of them to ABDA to allow some evacuations.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/30/2019 3:22:36 AM   
Ian R

Make sure you have a small Australian unit in any invasion of Manado. Independent companies are good.

Then by spending PPs 3 times, you can change the unit to (restricted) Aust. command, change the base to that, change the unit back to SWPAC.

And then you can fly the Aus command HQ there from Darwin in PB2Ys so it can provide command HQ support right up into the PI.

Rinse and repeat and eventually it can sit on one of the islands off Kyushu in range (9x2 = 18) of Tokyo.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 7
RE: Some Questions About Base Ownership - 8/30/2019 3:46:14 AM   
CaptBeefheart

If the base command matches an air force HQ command that is at the base, you can add the entire command rating of the HQ for airfield stacking purposes (as opposed to half the rating if the commands don't match). Having them match comes in handy when you want to put a lot of aircraft on a less than Level 9 airfield. That and PT boat and barge creation are about the only reasons I ever change a base's command.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Some Questions About Base Ownership Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI