Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Strategic Road Movement

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic Road Movement Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Strategic Road Movement - 8/29/2019 4:05:22 PM   
pcasey

In the game units have different types of movement.

Combat Movement --- slow but safe
Move --- about twice the speed of combat but lower combat effectiveness
Strategic -- very fast but has a pack/unpack cost and can only move over certain improved railroads and roads

Specifically question about strategic movement.

I can move any unit I want to via strategic RAILROAD movement (RR or RR+)

*Some* of my units can also do strategic ROAD movement (RD) which is slower than RR but still a lot faster them Move.

I can't for the life of my figure out how to tell if a unit is capable of strategic road movement or not other than putting it on a base with a road exit and trying to send it down the road via strategic movement.

Observationally a lot of western allied units seem to be able to do RD just fine (but not all).

I don't think any of the Chinese units I have tried can do RD though (but maybe one can).

Can somebody share the logic as to which units can and cannot do strategic road movement?
Post #: 1
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 8/29/2019 4:13:25 PM   
DConn

It is based on the "nationality" of the ground unit (as defined in the game). For example, USN and USMC are a different "nationality" than US Army units. From memory, the following nationalities cannot use strategic road movement: USN, USMC, Commonwealth, Chinese. (There may be others; my memory isn't so good!)

--Dave Conn
Currently defending the free world against montesaurus, DBB-B, Scen. 28

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 2
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 8/29/2019 4:19:06 PM   
RangerJoe

The only way to get those units that can't use strategic road movement is to have at least one unit in the stack capable of strategic road movement, then all of the units are set to strategic movement, then you have to order the unit capable of strategic road movement and have all others march.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 3
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 8/29/2019 6:29:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: DConn

It is based on the "nationality" of the ground unit (as defined in the game). For example, USN and USMC are a different "nationality" than US Army units. From memory, the following nationalities cannot use strategic road movement: USN, USMC, Commonwealth, Chinese. (There may be others; my memory isn't so good!)

US Army and British Army units all can use Strat mode on grey roads. (No units can Strat move on dirt roads). I think some Australian units might also be able to Strat move on the road. The idea is that the US and British units have the necessary vehicles for this type of movement and other nations do not. Some of the Aussie units may be working with a British or US TOE that allows them to travel thusly.

The workaround Ranger Joe mentioned (setting non-capable units to follow a Strat-Rd capable one) is fine when you are playing the AI but would likely raise objections in a PBEM game. It looks the me like the game designers did not intend that else they would have made all the units Strat-Rd capable.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to DConn)
Post #: 4
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 8/30/2019 12:08:41 AM   
rustysi

quote:

The workaround Ranger Joe mentioned (setting non-capable units to follow a Strat-Rd capable one) is fine when you are playing the AI but would likely raise objections in a PBEM game. It looks the me like the game designers did not intend that else they would have made all the units Strat-Rd capable.

+1

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 7:56:22 AM   
Ian R

In he latest beta -

US Army, British, Indian, Canadian, Aust, NZ are all road strategic move capable.

USN, China, the Soviets are not. Dutch/NEI are not. CW units are not (not even the proper African divisions and brigades, so do not send them to China).

Not sure about French land units.

It is strictly by nationality. TOE has no effect.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 6
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 1:06:10 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

In he latest beta -

US Army, British, Indian, Canadian, Aust, NZ are all road strategic move capable.

USN, China, the Soviets are not. Dutch/NEI are not. CW units are not (not even the proper African divisions and brigades, so do not send them to China).

USMC? I don't recall that I've tried to do a strategic road move with a USMC unit... well, ever, but now I'm curious. :-)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 7
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 1:43:08 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gridley380

quote:

In he latest beta -

USMC? I don't recall that I've tried to do a strategic road move with a USMC unit... well, ever, but now I'm curious. :-)

USMC is not capable of strat movement by road because their role as a landing force did not provide troop/supply trucks in their TOE. They were meant to land and stay within walking distance of the beach (at least back then they were). USArmy para units might also be excluded from strat move by road for the same reason as the USMC. Such vehicles as the USMC units have are likely jeeps and other light vehicles.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 8
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 3:48:02 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

USMC is not capable of strat movement by road because their role as a landing force did not provide troop/supply trucks in their TOE. They were meant to land and stay within walking distance of the beach (at least back then they were). USArmy para units might also be excluded from strat move by road for the same reason as the USMC. Such vehicles as the USMC units have are likely jeeps and other light vehicles.

Well, actually, a Series F USMC division (for example) had over 200 "deuce and a halves" (a quarter of them with dump truck bodies). Granted, the division only had about 2/3 the motor vehicles of the contemporary Army infantry division TOE while having a quarter again the manpower.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 5:52:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

Well, actually, a Series F USMC division (for example) had over 200 "deuce and a halves" (a quarter of them with dump truck bodies). Granted, the division only had about 2/3 the motor vehicles of the contemporary Army infantry division TOE while having a quarter again the manpower.

Are you talking about "back then" or now?

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 10
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 7:13:05 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

quote:

quote:

Series F was adopted circa May '44.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/4/2019 8:01:47 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Series F was adopted circa May '44.

The US Army also had a lot of transportation companies with lots of trucks not represented in the game unless those are the motorized support in the HQs.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 12
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/5/2019 1:37:13 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

The US Army also had a lot of transportation companies with lots of trucks not represented in the game unless those are the motorized support in the HQs.

True, and in the ETO it was found that you could basically 'motorize' a division for short marches with the use of the organic vehicles in the typical attachments (Tank, TD, and AA battalions). The USMC had the equivalents to those units already organic to the division, so their equipment is already included in the TOE.

Not saying the USMC was as motorized as the Army (it wasn't), just noting that they DID have significant organic motor assets.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 13
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/7/2019 3:01:57 PM   
Ian R

Update: The French can't strategic road march.

I find this odd, given that the CEFEO was basically equipped as a Free French US TOE ground force.

I guess the developers had the reasons (and there were no FF units in stock, as far as I can remember).

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 14
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/7/2019 5:58:04 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Update: The French can't strategic road march.

I find this odd, given that the CEFEO was basically equipped as a Free French US TOE ground force.

I guess the developers had the reasons (and there were no FF units in stock, as far as I can remember).

Stock does have a few small FF units in Tahiti, Noumea and other spots. No vehicles.

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 15
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/1/2021 7:04:53 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DConn

US Army and British Army units all can use Strat mode on grey roads. (No units can Strat move on dirt roads). I think some Australian units might also be able to Strat move on the road. The idea is that the US and British units have the necessary vehicles for this type of movement and other nations do not. Some of the Aussie units may be working with a British or US TOE that allows them to travel thusly.

So Japan cannot use Strategic Move on Roads? Ah so this explains why I never knew you could do this haha

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 16
RE: Strategic Road Movement - 9/2/2021 2:00:02 PM   
Leandros

One advantage with going strat is that you can change to strat without the enemy detecting your intentions before you designate the destination.

Fred
----

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07D34QCWQ/?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&ref=series_rw_dp_labf

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 17
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Strategic Road Movement Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI