Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AK Conversions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AK Conversions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 4:08:04 PM   
pcasey

A lot of allied AK's can be converted into more specialized ships.

AG, AKE, AR, AP, etc.

A lot of them cannot.

Is there a practical way to filter a list of AK's in the UI do find, for example, just those that are eligible for conversion to AKE?

Late game I always find myself short on certain types of tenders but by like 1944 the allied have 500+ AK's running around the map and its near impossible to find the ones which are potential AKE conversions for example.
Post #: 1
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 4:14:48 PM   
RangerJoe

They depend upon the class of ship and maybe some can't be converted if you have upgraded them. So, upgrade all possible to AE. AR is useful since you should be moving forward. AKEs and ADs are nice for forward bases to keep your surface and bombardment groups supplied as well as sorties and torpedoes for aircraft carriers. AGs help the small craft as well but then are limited to not hauling resources unless there is an AK in the group. As a general rule, convert all APs and AKs to APAs and AKAs to help with invasions. Until they can be converted, keep them safe.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 2
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 4:24:30 PM   
pcasey

For me its less about knowing that I should be converting my AK/AP into more specialized craft.

Its more about figuring out which of my AK and AP are *candidates* for conversion.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 4:48:28 PM   
RangerJoe

As I stated, it depends upon the class of the ship. Sort them by cargo and fuel to group the classes. Then check the ships and you will see which ones can be converted to what type of support ship.

― Julia Child

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 4
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 7:19:43 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

As I stated, it depends upon the class of the ship. Sort them by cargo and fuel to group the classes. Then check the ships and you will see which ones can be converted to what type of support ship.

The ship icon button at the top of the screen is your friend. Click it to bring up the list of all ships. Sort the list by type (click on the heading "type") and then click on the "All Types" text to turn off all the types displayed. Then click on the AK type to bring it back up. You now have just the AK types NOT UNDER REPAIR or Conversion. The list usually groups the AK/xAK/xAKL types by their class so you can quickly look at one example in each class. Here is some advice that others may or may not agree with:

- 6200 ton capacity? Lassen class - the only ship that can convert to AE of 5400 capacity which can replenish ships at sea in 1944-46. Also the only Allied ship that can replenish the Iowa Class BB ammo.

- 5250 ton capacity xAKs can convert to AKEs (replenish in port but not at sea) of 4200 capacity. These are big enough to handle most Allied BB ammo, mines and torpedoes. There are enough of them that I do not convert any smaller ships to AKE because they cannot handle all types of ships.

- British 5550 ton capacity xAKs convert to very handy xAPs of 1300/1850 capacity (troops/equipment and supply). These are a handy size, small enough to dock at a size 1 port and large enough to carry a small BF or engineer regiment. Good range.

-US 4440 ton xAKs convert to xAPs of 1660/2200? capacity. Also very handy size and range.

- British 3900 ton xAKs convert to very handy xAPs of 1000/1200 capacity with decent range. These are very useful for small Battalion-sized units and Construction Battalions/Pioneer companies. You will find you need to leapfrog engineer units frequently once the Allies start to advance.

- US 4800 capacity xAKs to AGs - I think these are the largest capacity AG conversion and they have long range. AGs are needed mostly to replenish ASW ammo on your smaller ships and they help with small ship repair of minor damage. DO NOT CONVERT ALL OF THEM. Start with about 10 and add others as required. Scatter them around where ASW work is needed.

- Dutch/British xAKs of 1850 capacity? convert to small - short ranged xAPs of 500/750 capacity. Handy where you have lots of islands nearby that you need to shuffle small unit to and from. I convert all of them and use them en-masse for invasions where I want the troops to unload quickly so the ships can get out of there before opposition arrives. If you find you don't need them on-map that much, send them to Cape Town, then EC USA and have them haul supply in a CS Transport TF to CT.

- I don't recall any Allied ships that can become ARs, but if you find any, do convert them. The shortage of shipyards in SOPAC/SWPAC demands that you have ARs to fix small amounts of major damage.

- there are some large capacity xAKs (7000+ capacity?) that can convert to AKVs. These are useful where you want to transfer aircraft and have them ready to operate immediately on unloading. An example of this situation is where you are invading an enemy base and want to put fighters there immediately after you take it. Since this is not all that frequent an event I convert about six AKVs and use normal xAKs in an Air Transport TF to move aircraft that do not have to be ready immediately on arrival (1 day delay if moved by Air Tpt TF, 3 day delay if moved by Tpt TF).

- the Queens - these huge xAPs have great capacity (something like 5400/2200) and are very fast but their range is not great and their high speed makes for extensive system damage every trip. Some players use them to move regiment sized units from WC USA to Oz or NZ where there are ports big enough to dock them. I don't like the idea of losing an entire regiment to a lucky sub or raider and I don't like refueling these guzzlers in Oz or repairing their damage for weeks after a trip. So I use them off map between EC USA and CT, hauling troops or supplies.

- you will also want to look at some of the small fry that can convert to other types. Old Wickes class DDs (and the other type I can't recall ATM) can convert to APDs. You will be desperate for DDs at game start but when you can convert these to APDs, do so. They have much better ASW equipment and AA after conversion and they can be in a fast transport TF to haul troops for snap invasions (e.g. your Marine raiders or Para units).

- some of your AMs can covert to AVPs to support seaplanes at forward bases. Along with your AVDs, convert enough of these to support the remote bases you need for naval search aircraft, but don't overdo it. You also need some as minesweepers.

- some ships can covert to DEs, but you get lots of ASW vessels starting with SCs and YPs and KVs in 1942 and PFs and DEs in 1943. I generally do not convert anything to DE except the French ship at Noumea or Suva (Chevreuil?)

All I can think of ATM.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 8:15:04 PM   
RangerJoe

The Clemson class of 4-pipers is the other class that can convert to APDs. Doing so lets them perform Fast Transport missions. They can also carry some supplies during an invasion. There is an immediate improvement to their ASW from 2 to 6 in the early war period.

― Julia Child

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 8:44:26 PM   
jdsrae

I usually convert the smallest xAK to AG that does so, as the cargo capacity of the AG isn’t usually the limiting factor, and the bigger xAK are more useful hauling supplies.

In the ship database tab on the top row (a few in from the left), sort the allied ships by class to quickly see all classes that can convert to each type, eg: AKE.
To find that class in game, sort the in game ships by cargo capacity and that groups them together by class.
A bit of old skool pen and paper helps too.

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 7
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 10:50:20 PM   
SuluSea

The Harriman, Hog Island and C2 Cargo all convert to AKE or AE's...Others may as well.

I like them off map for the most part since shipping needs to be done there as well.

CM Rigel is a Dutch ship that converts to AR in 12/42, that's a definite must save, for me it leaves the DEI on the first day.

Very nice write up BBFan!

< Message edited by SuluSea -- 8/29/2019 10:51:57 PM >

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 8
RE: AK Conversions - 8/29/2019 11:49:34 PM   
RangerJoe

This thread might be good for you to read:

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2260137

― Julia Child

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> AK Conversions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI