Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air Force HQ Matching

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Force HQ Matching Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air Force HQ Matching - 8/28/2019 11:25:15 PM   
pcasey

In the game there exist airforce HQ units.

In the game, air group are assigned to an HQ.

I can spend PP if I want to to move an air group between HQ's if I so desire.

My question though is, is there a specific benefit to having an air group assigned specifically to the HQ it shares a base with.

In other words if I drop the US 10th airforce HQ in Saigon and park 7 air groups there, none of which are assigned to the 10th air-force, but all of which are in HQ range of the 10th airforce HQ, will I get any benefit from changing them over to report to the 10th airforce?
Post #: 1
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 12:02:39 AM   
RangerJoe

Yes, you will gain in coordination and other good things.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to pcasey)
Post #: 2
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 3:57:48 AM   
BBfanboy

But PP are very few and precious - you will usually have to put up with less-than-ideal HQ assignments because leader assignments and buying out to a non-restricted HQ are usually higher priorities.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 3
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 4:13:34 AM   
durnedwolf

I'd read this: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2382494

DW

I try to live by two words - tenacity and gratitude. Tenacity gets me where I want to go and gratitude ensures I'm not angry along the way. - Henry Winkler.

The great aim of education is not knowledge but action. - Herbert Spencer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 3:44:28 PM   
pontiouspilot

Ranger and BB....Are we sure on this? I know air HQs are very important but I thought there was NO benefit to attaching squadrons (or for that matter LCUs) to their assigned HQs. pls correct me if I'm wrong because I have been for years on this topic!!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 4:06:11 PM   
RangerJoe

If the air unit is at the same base or within command range, then there is a benefit. The HQ people kick the slackers in their posteriors to get their assets moving . . .

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 6
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/29/2019 6:20:54 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

Ranger and BB....Are we sure on this? I know air HQs are very important but I thought there was NO benefit to attaching squadrons (or for that matter LCUs) to their assigned HQs. pls correct me if I'm wrong because I have been for years on this topic!!

Not LCUs, just Air Units. The benefit is only in mission coordination, not in administration things like upgrades and replacements or training.

And the HQ assignment of ships has no effect at all - it is just to help the player keep track of which ships he has assigned to which command areas. Having ships from different commands and nationalities does not seem to cause any problems at all.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 7
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/30/2019 12:05:22 AM   
rustysi

quote:

not in administration things like upgrades

IIRC HQ's do play a roll in upgrades for air units. Don't recall exactly what, and I've no time right now to look it up. If no one else chimes I will attempt to do it later. It is however in the manual, this I recall.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/30/2019 5:49:08 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

not in administration things like upgrades

IIRC HQ's do play a roll in upgrades for air units. Don't recall exactly what, and I've no time right now to look it up. If no one else chimes I will attempt to do it later. It is however in the manual, this I recall.

Yes, having an Air HQ in range helps with aircraft upgrades and replacements, but the question has been whether the air unit has to assigned to the same HQ. It does not. Same-same for LCU HQs. Any HQ will do. And for Combat the HQ only helps if it has the same target prep.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 9
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/30/2019 7:23:19 AM   
Schorsch

for air unit upgrades u generally need a lv 7 airfield +20k supply at the base. if a air HQ is at the base the required airbaselevel of 7 gets reduced by the range of the hq.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/30/2019 10:07:20 PM   
pontiouspilot

I get the benefit of air HQ. As I understood the original question it was whether the squadron’s assigned HQ is necessary or important. My view that it wasn’t and that any Air HQ provides the same benefit.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 11
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/31/2019 3:02:10 AM   
Ian R

So we have as discussed above:

1. An air HQ situated in a base "owned" by the Command HQ to which the Air HQ is assigned provides benefits in terms of how many groups are stationed at the base. And may provide them at other bases in command range. If the HQ is not affiliated with the base's area command HQ, less benefit.

2. That benefit is not dependent on the air units' HQ assignment.

3. There is a benefit in terms of strike co-ordination and packaging from the presence of an Air HQ, where strikes launch from multiple bases within its HQ range. The only important HQ leader value is the air rating. Nothing else really matters much, if it all.

4. It is not clear if this is in any way dependent on the HQ assignment of the air groups involved, but probably not (we think) because we have all seen USMC, 13th AF, 5th AF and RAAF aircraft all arrive over a besieged Rabaul in a coordinated fashion, in circumstances where there is an admixture of air HQs from multiple areas/nationalities in command range of some/all of the involved bases. Also, for all we know, perhaps the air unit HQ assignment affects the coordination roll for that unit in some individual fashion. Or not.

5. Whether an Air HQ has a better chance of successfully coordinating a strike if it is on a base "owned" by its command HQ - nobody really knows.

In short, we are sure of very little, and are punching the wind on the rest.

"I am Alfred"

Post #: 12
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/31/2019 5:07:29 AM   
Alfred

The specific HQ attachment of an air unit is checked more often than has been mentioned in this thread.  That specific relationship is more often checked than the base (where the air unit is located) attachment to an HQ.

Alfred

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 13
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 8/31/2019 10:42:33 AM   
Ian R

I thought that might get your attention.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 14
RE: Air Force HQ Matching - 9/3/2019 9:51:31 PM   
rustysi

quote:

Yes, having an Air HQ in range helps with aircraft upgrades and replacements, but the question has been whether the air unit has to assigned to the same HQ. It does not.

Yeah, that hit me later on after I had singed off. Thanks, good catch.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Air Force HQ Matching Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI