Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Version 3.06 under way

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> RE: Version 3.06 under way Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 12:26:19 AM   
FrankHunter

Rasputitsa, I assume your supply control is set to player so off-hand my guess would be captured Austrian supply wagons?

From afar there's not much else I would guess at.

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 91
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 5:30:22 AM   
Technopiper

Frank, in this thread someone pointed out that the 1805 second variant's start date should be the same as that of the Historical one, but is not. I also noticed that Ulm, Giengen, Gunzburg, and Neuberg are under coalition control in the Historical variant, but are under French control in the second and third variants. Are these by design?

I wish the game has a way of scrambling the 1805 variants so that, as the French, players won't know what they are walking into. The premise, of course, is that the variants should all start on the same date and have identical city ownership.

(in reply to FrankHunter)
Post #: 92
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 5:46:56 AM   
FrankHunter

Technopiper, yes, the start date was one of the first things I fixed in the new version. In fact its in the first post on this thread :) I will check those towns.

Interesting idea about being able to choose a scenario without knowing if you're getting the historical one or a variant.

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 93
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 6:36:38 AM   
Technopiper

quote:

ORIGINAL: FrankHunter

Technopiper, yes, the start date was one of the first things I fixed in the new version. In fact its in the first post on this thread :) I will check those towns.

Interesting idea about being able to choose a scenario without knowing if you're getting the historical one or a variant.

Oops, I must have missed it somehow. Thanks for looking into it!

Post #: 94
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 7:10:37 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

Rasputitsa, I assume your supply control is set to player so off-hand my guess would be captured Austrian supply wagons?

From afar there's not much else I would guess at.

Hi Frank,

Supply is set to 'computer control' and I did think that this may be captured supply, as the town of DEGGENDORF was taken, but was surprised to see such a big supply convoy (3426) and destination NEUMARKT, which is not my LOC.

This much supply has to be the AI LOC. There were other odd convoys appearing uncommanded elsewhere on the map taking supplies to random towns in the rear areas, with no relevance to current operations.

The points :

There should never be one convoy this big.

If it's captured supply (the whole enemy LOC) the AI should have an opportunity (random) to burn, or move some supplies, before capture. It's big hit for the AI to lose so much supply and a game breaker. If it happens to the player, too bad, but the AI needs a hand to protect its LOC, even if moving supply goes outside the normal rules.

Strange the supply was being sent to NEUMARKT, which is outside the normal procedure, although it is a good idea to move captured supply to somewhere safe. So if the destination was WAD, that's OK, but it was a surprise.

I don't recall a message during turn resolution to indicate that the supply had been captured.

Conclusion :

The AI may need some help to protect it's LOC, with supply depots of a certain size (or designated LOC), it should trigger an AI supply protection routine, which would randomly save and reposition a large part of the captured supply, maybe burn some and allow some to still be captured, all on a biased odds basis to ensure that the majority of the supply is saved, otherwise the AI is toast.

All this needs to happen outside the normal game timescale, as the AI cannot anticipate as the player can, and the 'supply save routine' needs to trigger on AI LOC capture.

It also needs to cover any very large depots, such an AI LOC which has moved, but leaving a large supply in a town no longer designated as LOC.

I'll try and run the turns from the Austrian side to see what happened.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/1/2019 7:23:25 AM >

"In politics stupidity is not a handicap" - Napoleon

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress" - Napoleon

Post #: 95
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 9:19:04 AM   
Rasputitsa

Supply 2

Played back the game saves, was playing the AAR as French, but looked at the turns for the Austrians :

20th April Austrian LOC at BRAUNAU (4185)

24th April Austrian LOC at PASSAU (3878)

27th FRENCH convoy (3426) seen near DEGGENDORF - have to play as French to see this - Austrian LOC still at PASSAU and intact (3639), DEGGENDORF and PASSAU still in Austrian possession.

28th April Austrian LOC at PASSAU (3601)

29th April PASSAU captured by French Austrian LOC disappears, just a few enroute convoys left.

30th April, no Austrian LOC visible, CHARLES icon will not display, cannot check where the Austrian LOC is, but none visible, the Austrians only have a few enroute convoys, most have destination PASSAU, which they may lose as the FRENCH are in PASSAU.

I need to play on a few turns to see what happens, but it seems like the AI Austrian supply system is mainly gone.

None of this explains where the French supply convoy (3426), seen near DEGGENDORF 27th April, came from as the Austrian LOC was still at PASSAU and still in place at that time.

There was also a difference between turns, before and after the orders phase, at one point Austrian supply was spread between BUDWEIS and LINZ, then after orders, it was back at the correct LOC, then at BRAUNAU.

Game seems to play through OK, over these turns, but need to see what happened to the Austrian LOC after the capture of LOC PASSAU.

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/1/2019 11:44:43 AM >

“A people which is able to say everything becomes able to do everything” - Napoleon

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 96
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 11:42:46 AM   
Rasputitsa

Another thought on supply,

I am running an AAR and constantly referring to back game saves, is this like the map problem (clear/muddy) where the data from one game save is being carried over to the next loaded game save and corrupting the display ?

Sometimes the (3426) French supply convoy is visible sometimes not, although it is always in the supply system info panel and also I have still to find out whether it will ever get delivered to NEUMARKT, or if I can actually use any of this extra supply.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 97
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/1/2019 3:56:30 PM   
Rasputitsa

The 'Label 1' issue is still around. Disappeared after reloading the game save.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/1/2019 3:59:57 PM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 98
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/2/2019 11:12:15 AM   
Technopiper

quote:

In "Carriers at War", when picking variants for a scenario, you can tick "Randomize" to randomly play one of the variants. Coupled with a scenario editor, this ensured endless replayability. Since you are considering to include an editor, it might be a good idea to have the option to randomize too.

Post #: 99
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/3/2019 6:08:43 PM   
FrankHunter

Finally completed de-hard coding all the text in the game. Will look at the stuff that's been mentioned lately now.

Post #: 100
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/7/2019 12:50:26 AM   
pzgndr

quote:

+1

This would be a very nice game option! Especially with an editor, additional variant scenarios could be created. Players would really have to assess the situation and make some tough decisions. Very realistic!

Post #: 101
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/7/2019 4:38:06 AM   
Technopiper

It could be something like this picture. Pick a variant by ticking a box before clicking "start". If more than one variants are ticked, one of them will be picked randomly. In other words, the option to limit the range of randomization. Players may not want to include certain variants. E.g, those with drastic changes to the Order of Battle.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Technopiper -- 8/7/2019 4:42:37 AM >

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 102
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/9/2019 6:14:00 AM   
FrankHunter

Okay, one can select an option for the game to pick an 1805 or 1809 scenario at random.

All changes for this version have also now been integrated into the next game.

Unfortunately I have a bug I'm trying to hunt down.

Post #: 103
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/9/2019 4:40:05 PM   
Technopiper

quote:

Okay, one can select an option for the game to pick an 1805 or 1809 scenario at random.

Unfortunately I have a bug I'm trying to hunt down.

That's wonderful. Thank you for the hard work!

Post #: 104
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/9/2019 9:25:19 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

Any hints about plans for dusting off PFE for another update one of these days?

Post #: 105
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/10/2019 3:31:07 AM   
FrankHunter

Yup, I'll be doing an update of PFE as soon as I can

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 106
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/10/2019 12:13:42 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

That is good news

Post #: 107
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/11/2019 5:41:50 PM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

I have put some comments into the PFE forum.

Post #: 108
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/13/2019 7:03:32 AM   
FrankHunter

In playing I noticed a lot of shifting of some units back and forth when 1 and 2 hexes from the enemy. I have been looking at that decision-making and have made a few changes that have reduced it somewhat.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 109
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/13/2019 7:28:33 AM   
Rasputitsa

quote:

In playing I noticed a lot of shifting of some units back and forth when 1 and 2 hexes from the enemy. I have been looking at that decision-making and have made a few changes that have reduced it somewhat.

I have noticed that as well and also the tendency for the corps commander to move towards the units in his corps, rather than the other way round, they should move towards him.

This was very prominent in v3.04, addressed in v3.05 and much improved, but still there sometimes.

Post #: 110
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/13/2019 8:06:39 AM   
Rasputitsa

I know Frank is already working on messaging in CotD, but the way PFE displays information messages, after turn resolution, from the 'Display Past Messages' button and that the resulting panel can be moved on the screen, so that the map can be checked, would be good for CotD.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Rasputitsa -- 8/13/2019 8:27:15 AM >

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 111
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/17/2019 7:12:49 AM   
Biondo

The possibility to read intercepted courier message could also be a great addition, if technically possible

Regards

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 112
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/20/2019 4:09:27 AM   
FrankHunter

Biondo, nice idea. Especially in games between two players. That's something I will look at although not for this version.

Thank you

(in reply to Biondo)
Post #: 113
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/21/2019 1:29:10 AM   
Technopiper

quote:

Biondo, nice idea. Especially in games between two players. That's something I will look at although not for this version.

Thank you

I wonder if it's possible to overlay intercepted messages on the map, rather than presenting them as text messages only? Perhaps using translucent unit counters or arrowheads to show planned movement?

Post #: 114
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/22/2019 7:33:48 PM   
altipueri

I'm really looking forward to this update Frank.

David Tallboys

Post #: 115
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/26/2019 1:40:39 AM   
FrankHunter

The shifting back and forth, especially by corps HQs, has now been reduced.

Found a problem with miniatures resolution if more than one battle was being resolved that way in a single turn. Not sure if anyone had come across this. Anyway, its been fixed.

(in reply to altipueri)
Post #: 116
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 8/26/2019 6:48:35 PM   
Rasputitsa

Thanks, looking forward to the update, it should be a good improvement.

Post #: 117
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 9/1/2019 5:54:43 AM   
Kai

Thanks so much for the continued support of the game.

(in reply to Rasputitsa)
Post #: 118
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 9/2/2019 11:36:13 PM   
FrankHunter

Just wanted to say the game will be able to be played in english, french, german, spanish, swedish, russian and japanese. Also, as the text is in editable files the translation can be improved. For example, I did Russian using google translate, its not going to be perfect, hopefully its a good start as the Russian text can be easily modified. Also, if someone wanted to play in a language that isn't available, one can choose one of the above files as a start point and translate that into their preferred language.

I've also been spending time trying to improve the AI.

I hope I can make this available soon.

(in reply to Kai)
Post #: 119
RE: Version 3.06 under way - 9/3/2019 6:11:25 PM   
Iwein

Hi Frank, thanks for this amazing game. Normally I am not a big fan of computer games but Campaigns on the Danube is certainly a huge exception. A great fog system combined with a challenging AI. Wonderful!

There is however only one bug that I am finding very annoying. Sometimes when I have units in the same hex as the enemy and I order my units to engage the enemy then nothing is happening. All the friendly and enemy units simply stay in the same hex. If the enemy units should retreat a couple of hexes and my units should follow up then I can understand this but this is not happening. Just a stand off in the same hex and this stand off can last several turns

Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Napoleonics] >> Campaigns on the Danube 1805 - 1809 >> RE: Version 3.06 under way Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI