Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space - 9/4/2019 5:48:28 AM   
TMP95

I'm curious, there are so many DB versions it seems within my CMANO file. (3+GBs). Is it safe to delete a number of these say if I only play scenarios later then 1970s.

I'm looking to clear some of my C: drive space (my C: drive is my fastest SDD drive). I have a data drive D: with lots of space on it but should I not keep CMANO on my SSD drive (thus C).

Thanks for any advice.
Post #: 1
RE: What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space - 9/4/2019 6:50:21 AM   
Dysta

quote:

ORIGINAL: TMP95

I'm curious, there are so many DB versions it seems within my CMANO file. (3+GBs). Is it safe to delete a number of these say if I only play scenarios later then 1970s.

I'm looking to clear some of my C: drive space (my C: drive is my fastest SDD drive). I have a data drive D: with lots of space on it but should I not keep CMANO on my SSD drive (thus C).

Thanks for any advice.

I don’t think there is a way, not that I heard of.

Speaking of drive space, forgive me if I put it bluntly, but why not upgrade with a new, larger SSD? I reckon today’s SSD pricing is no longer steep, if not as cheap as normal hard drives. 500GB range is usually around 80-150 USD depends on the performance and socket type. Unless you installed a very large amount of program softwares, 500GB for OS is very enough for most of the gamers.

< Message edited by Dysta -- 9/4/2019 6:52:59 AM >

(in reply to TMP95)
Post #: 2
RE: What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space - 9/4/2019 7:38:29 AM   
nudn1k

I recommend you use the windows file compression for the older databases. Right click on the file -> properties -> attribute -> expanded -> compress. The menus may have different names on your system.
It saves almost 50% of disk space.

N.

(in reply to Dysta)
Post #: 3
RE: What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space - 9/6/2019 7:22:48 PM   
FrangibleCover

Honestly it would be nice if older database versions were held centrally and automatically downloaded like terrain will be for CMO. For CMANO the main thing I'd change is putting the latest CWDB version second on the list in the editor so I don't have to scroll through a hundred DB3000 variants to find a Sea Vixen.

(in reply to nudn1k)
Post #: 4
RE: What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space - 9/6/2019 11:51:28 PM   
gennyo

Personal experience: it's doable but gains not that much.
I played CMANO on Yoga Book Gen1 (yes that crazy small "laptop" no larger than an iPad). As the system has 64G eMMC internal storage, sparing 12G space for CMANO is nearly impossible.

There are four blocks of bulk data in CMANO:

1. GIS data, for map topography, telling the system how high the hills are and how deep the sea is. Not removable, ~5G.

2. Graphical Topology Map in WW folder. In Cache folder, you can find four folders, the "Blue Marble" earth tile textures for maps are in them, with multiple layers denoted with a numbered folder name. Removing anything beyond level 0 saves ~1.5G space.

3. Database descriptions, in DB\Images and DB\Descriptions, are removable. You can save ~1G by deleting them.

WARNING: YOU ARE ACT AGAINST EULA AND MAY GET SUED, AND VOID ANY WARRENTY, AND LOST THE ABILITY TO READ ANY SCENARIO USING DELETED DATABASES OR/AND CAN'T OPEN THE MAIN PROGRAM ANYMORE, BY USING THE METHOD BELOW (or maybe above...).

4. Database itself. Not all database files are created equal. As I inferred from file sizes and experiments, there are some major revisions in some files, and addtional data chanage in other files.

For example, DB3K_464.db3 is 91M, and all later DB3K files are much smaller.

But that's not always the case as I found out some smaller databases are "Base files", removing them would make any database version after it can't be read by the program.

Playing safe, I removed anything beforce CWDB 455 and DB3K 447, and resulted a 2.5G DB folder. As far as I only run scenarios created myself (sorry for all the development effort into those fabulous works), it didn't break the game for me.

Removing some other small files (like music, sound, multiple versions of manual, and some intro programs) make a 6.77G CMANO folder.

If you are really desperate for space, use NTFS hard link. Move the GIS folder to another physical drive, and link it back into CMANO folder. I used this trick in my Yoga Book, moving the GIS folder to SD card.

(in reply to FrangibleCover)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> What Databases can be deleted? Save HD space Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI