Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

spwaw MENU not available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> spwaw MENU not available Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
spwaw MENU not available - 6/25/2001 6:30:00 AM   
BobRoyall

Using the desktop icon that starts the 'autorun.exe' file in the spwaw folder starts the SSI/Grigsby/Matrix opening like normal. But when the Matrix logo is done, the menu program starts incorrectly. I hear the music playing and have a spwaw box on the screen but no menu. See the screenshot at: http://www.bobroyall.com/spwawmenu.jpg If I close the box I get the 'credits' screen and an exit to the desktop. See screenshot at: http://www.bobroyall.com/spwawmenu2.jpg I can start the game by running the spwaw.exe file but would like to fix the menu error. It did work back in version 3 but I don't remember if/when I checked it last in version 5. Any help is appreciated. :) BTW - Matrix Helpdesk hadn't seen this one and suggeted I post it here. [ June 28, 2001: Message edited by: BobRoyall ]

Post #: 1
- 6/28/2001 5:21:00 AM   
BobRoyall

I guess no one else has seen this happen or has a suggestion for a fix....

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 2
- 6/28/2001 5:51:00 AM   
Supervisor

First off your links to the pages aren't working. Did you try old reliable and deleteing the steel.prf file in the save directory. What version of DirectX are you running? The recent changes to SPWAW require at least version 6.1a. Just some easy suggestions to get you started. Good luck.

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 3
- 6/28/2001 6:08:00 AM   
BobRoyall

Hmm? When I click on the links they take me to the jpgs... I did delete the steel file after seeing that as a remedy for other problems. Didn't change anything relating to this error. Using directx 8.0a with no problems in any other games. The menu DOES come up on my laptop which has v5.01 installed right now. I'm going to compare the differences before I do anything to the laptop to see if I can find anything meaningful. Thanks for the suggestions. Every little bit helps. :)

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 4
- 6/28/2001 6:55:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I tried your links, Bob and they did not work for me either. Both of them say that the material is not available for viewing. I think what you might want to try is use the SPWAW.exe command or the Mech.exe command to start the game. You won't see the larger menu, but you will have access to the game. Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 5
- 6/28/2001 7:12:00 AM   
waynef

I assume this is happening after 5.2 or 5.3 or Sound upgrade? Check this... See that your Stream folder in your Snd folder

"At My Signal...Unleash Hell" Thanks, Wayne

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 6
- 6/29/2001 4:47:00 AM   
ectizen

I've had a similar experience. When I first autorunned the MC CD (which came scratched!), I only got the intro video and a very tiny, non-resizable, empty window. Closing this window gave me the credits. Nothing was installed... Manually running Spwaw50.exe got it installed, with the expected vid1012.smk (or something like that) decompression error. I ignored this. Starting with the desktop shortcut (which points to autorun.exe) gave the same tiny window mentioned above, and some music. After closing the window, the music continues, but eventually stops. No credits are shown. Starting the game with spwaw.exe works. After applying the 5.2 and 5.3 updates, the same thing happens. I don't know why this is happening or how to fix it, but it doesn't particularly bother me. In case my system can shed some light, I'm running Win2000 with DirectX 8.0a, on a dual PIII with 256MB, a 32MB GeForce2 MX and SB Live!. My desktop is 1600x1200, either 24 or 32 bit. Does this setup have anything in common with yours?

ectizen's SP:WaW Tools - Map Thing (1.0a), Scenario W

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 7
- 6/29/2001 5:13:00 AM   
BobRoyall

Thanks for the feedback. We appear to be having the *exact* same problem. The only similarities on systems is directx 8.0a and SB Live. I have 8.0a installed on my laptop and it runs perfectly so I don't think that is the problem. Don't know if there's a tie-in for the SB Live card... I tried using 'filemon.exe' to see what was running during the program load. It does look for msvfw32.dll and a few other files for Video for Windows. I extracted all the VfW files back to the system directory again with no change. I've also started the slow process of copying small groups of spwaw files from my laptop over my desktop files. So far nothing there either... If Matrix were to let us in on what file(s) and driver(s) that 'autorun.exe' is calling when it displays the opening menu, we might be able to track something that way.

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 8
- 7/2/2001 11:33:00 AM   
BobRoyall

My menu problem is now cleared and working again. The only problem is that I'm not sure what did it... Since the last time I unsuccessfully tried the menu I've re-installed the video driver for my Voodoo 4500, re-installed Direct-X 8.0a, upgraded Windows MediaPlayer from version 6 to version 7 and am trying out a tweaking program called PC Accelerator 6000. In fact, I don't have any proof that any of those items is related to the menu now working again but I thought I'd pass it along. PS. I 'tweaked' the website settings and the links should be working again in another hour or two. [ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: BobRoyall ]

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 9
- 7/3/2001 4:57:00 AM   
Supervisor

If it it helps I remember that were reported problems with Voodoo DirectX drivers being unreliable maybe it was just a matter of the updated ones being more reliable.

(in reply to BobRoyall)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> spwaw MENU not available Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI