Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH... - 5/23/2019 4:31:11 PM   
Jason Petho

Please post your Wish List items in this thread for the new versions of the Campaign Series World War II games.

Thank you
Jason Petho

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 5/23/2019 4:32:44 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/23/2019 5:03:58 PM   
rmmwilg

1) Please, pretty please... for the love of all that's holy, please(!)...Double-time effects should not happen until unit actually moves as such!
2) Ablility to fire Starshells at empty hexes, particularly since this is often how they're used in real life.
3) Leaders should be able to fire starshells
4) Starshells and smoke rounds should be task-check based rather than a set quota. This would create a proper uncertainty, including those units that are independently smoke-capable, and do away with scenario quotas.
5) Infantry units should be capable of placing smoke in an adjacent hex. Again though, availability being task-check based.
6) Add icon to unit panel showing whether a unit is smoke capable (didn't the original game used to have this?)
7) Echelon movement should apply to all equal or lower-hierarchy units in a formation, including those in separate hexes; ie. I can select an infantry unit, select highlight organisation, and the entire company will move in that general direction. Just an ease-of-play feature

< Message edited by rmmwilg -- 5/23/2019 6:42:33 PM >

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 2
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/23/2019 7:59:20 PM   
fritzfarlig

1, different color on org.
2. A retreated tank don’t turn around but driving reverse

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 3
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/23/2019 8:28:07 PM   
rmmwilg

quote:

ORIGINAL: fritzfarlig

1, different color on org.
2. A retreated tank don’t turn around but driving reverse

(in reply to fritzfarlig)
Post #: 4
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/25/2019 1:39:56 AM   
rmmwilg

8) Combined firepower attacks from the same hex, instead of each unit firing separately
9) Be able to save campaigns under edited names instead of the current, generic 'campaign' label

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 5
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/28/2019 3:03:48 AM   
rmmwilg

10) Armour leaders need to either be integral to a company HQ unit or equipped with an armoured car or some such, because there are occasions when, as a jeep mounted unit, they have not been able to go into terrain where their AFV units are going, because they're a jeep unit! It would make much more sense that they be integral to an AFV unit of that company

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 6
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/28/2019 6:50:44 PM   
rmmwilg

11) In campaigns: Have the ability to merge ravaged units during the reinforcement phase. Again, this will happen in real life if a unit loses too many people, even though it significantly reduces unit cohesion, at least temporarily. Maybe once a unit's strength drops below 40% or so, it's SP's can be xferred to another unit?
The problem that we, otherwise face, is going into a battle with units sometimes at only one or two SP's, which is ridiculous! I get that the whole point is to focus one on minimizing losses, but as we've all experienced, it's not always possible to avoid it. Things go wrong that you may or may not always be able to control in time before the damage is done; ie. it's not always because the commander/player was reckless or incompetent. So, when it has to, in such situations, the military is not averse to merging such units to retain average unit strength with what's left.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 7
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 11:58:42 AM   
LittleBen

What could be amazing is that...you play a huge scenario with many troops, and you could delegate some units to the AI...Imagine the 3rd battalion as a chief on the map, you could give him order, and then it's the AI who takes care of all the counter of the 3rd battalion...and you could give order to many différents chief while playing some others…

Of course each turn, if you want you could modify the orders, or take back control of the units

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 8
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 4:22:36 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: LittleBen

What could be amazing is that...you play a huge scenario with many troops, and you could delegate some units to the AI...Imagine the 3rd battalion as a chief on the map, you could give him order, and then it's the AI who takes care of all the counter of the 3rd battalion...and you could give order to many différents chief while playing some others…

Of course each turn, if you want you could modify the orders, or take back control of the units

Great request, but highly unlikely you'll see that in the Campaign Series.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 9
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 5:11:37 PM   
LittleBen

I'm not sure it's so complex….when the AI plays a scenario, I think he just sees the unit he has, and some objectifs hexs with a value, and he tries to get them… if it's the case, we just have make him play the unit in the org we want (he doesn't see the others, with a partial org) and we show him another list of victory hexs, in fact just one, where we want him to go and attack or hold…

Nothing to change in the way the AI plays, just to make him see temporary just an org reduced and just a victory location, even if it's not one in the scenario...

Post #: 10
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 5:13:52 PM   
Jason Petho

But that's just it, we are completely changing how the AI plays and how it works.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 11
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 5:19:03 PM   
LittleBen

Ohhhh !!!! That's really great !!!

Post #: 12
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/29/2019 6:50:38 PM   
Crossroads

Thanks for all your insight, gents, keep it coming please!

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 13
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/30/2019 1:49:44 PM   
rmmwilg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

But that's just it, we are completely changing how the AI plays and how it works.

As in EFIII, etc. will have a completely different AI, or LittleBen's suggestion would? I do love his suggestion. Would assigning a unit to the A/I's control really change things? After all, from day one of Talonsoft, one could assign both sides to the A/I and just watch them duke it out. If, for whatever reason, one really wanted to!
By the way, I probably differ from LittelBen in that I would define 'units' as complete formations: companies, battalions, etc. rather than individual, select 'units' on the map.
Being able to make such assignments would really give one a sense of command and 'control' at a higher level, not least, because you'd have to react to and deal with units doing things and making choices that you wouldn't do if you were in their position. Just my two cents worth. A very different challenge from the standard, micromanaging, RTS world

< Message edited by rmmwilg -- 5/30/2019 2:03:40 PM >

Post #: 14
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 5/30/2019 2:00:00 PM   
rmmwilg

This would go in my "pretty, pretty please!" column:
12) User setup, at least in the campaigns!

13) Currently, when FOW is on in a night scenario, the programming makes no distinction in revealing (or not) the impact of attacks and/or losses to my troops. It's not a bug, per se; it was just never addressed. So the details window *would* display the results of attacks to *my troops* while still hiding those details (when appropriate) for attacks I make to the enemy.

Thanks for all your hard work guys. Definitely looking forward to reimbursing you for it!

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 15
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/3/2019 4:51:58 PM   
LittleBen

What would be really useful, are some little ".exe" with a graphical user interface to edit/create new platoons, even if we can do it with a text editor, more convenient to do it easily with a visual interface, all the more to not have duplicate numbers !! (in the oob files, the P#### are not in order, so hard to know if a number is already used…) And to edit at the same time the platoon.oob and the weapons.dat to give the weapon range and values !!

In the same idea an editor to create the company, regiment, division…oob, a little like we can do it in the org editor, much more easy and it will avoid wrong numbers. A little .exe to edit the movement data, those one I don't even know how there are put, and not so easy to be sure to be at the right place among many numbers !! And for last could be great to have a little interface to edit the graphics associated with the map, there are so many files !! we choose the region, the kind of terrain, the zoom level...we have the current graphic displayed and we just have to modify it, then it is saved at the right place, under the right name…

I know, I ask much, but I'm quite sure, it isn't hard for a good programmer, and some of these, quite already exists, just to modify a little.

And of course all those files saved in a subfolder (chosen) of the mod folder...

< Message edited by LittleBen -- 6/3/2019 4:53:59 PM >

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 16
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/3/2019 6:17:07 PM   
Jason Petho

Been long on my personal wish list, on both counts.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 17
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/3/2019 6:35:46 PM   
LittleBen

If YOU didn't get them it's really too bad, all the more as with CS_Unitviewer, it's not far, just to add the possibility to add data and save them…

And the oob files are quite the same as the org files...

Post #: 18
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/3/2019 7:25:11 PM   
Jason Petho

Nope, I'm still building everything in a text editor.

Keep in mind that all the OOB's have been rebuilt for EFIII

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 19
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/6/2019 2:13:20 PM   
LittleBen

Would it be possible to choose, the nation's 2D counter used by some units, in the org, such that some organisation don't have the same as some others (per division for example)?

Post #: 20
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/6/2019 2:18:02 PM   
Jason Petho

Yes, but requires a new Platoon ID.

(in reply to LittleBen)
Post #: 21
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 6/8/2019 4:15:15 PM   
rmmwilg

14) Lift FOW at the end of all scenarios (individual & campaign ones) plus allow for removal of the victory window without exiting to the main menu, so that one can look around the whole battlefield and review it.

Post #: 22
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 7/2/2019 8:12:59 PM   
Vasquez

- As already mentioned the ability to Merge units during the reinforcement phase. Thats a must have imo.

- If possible also beeing able to merge understrenght units during a battle.

- Have the option to give remaining artillery/mortar units the Order to Fire at will. At corpslevel it can be time consuming to Order every gun/mortar fire orders.

(in reply to rmmwilg)
Post #: 23
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/12/2019 9:55:59 PM   
vayte

Gameplay Ideas:
- Visual representation of loaded vehicles. Provides easier/faster unit management because of less dependence on the unit info box. More information about enemy troop carriers with fog war. More pretty...
- Different stats for halftracks when loaded/unloaded. A halftrack with an infantry unit loaded should have more firepower/assault value than a unloaded one.
- Special abilities for unit types. For example, MG-Platoons can activate a special ability to pin-down infantry units. The pinned down units use more AP for movement and or have less defense value.
- Opportunity fire probability based on armor facing. Very high probability of opportunity fire in the direction the unit faces, way less when coming up behind the unit. Brings a bit more tactical depth I think. (Optional rule)
- New units Artillery-Observators. Artillery above a certain caliber (10cm or so) can only be fired at hexes the spotter can see (and at hexes they can see themselves, of course). This should make artillery a bit more realistic. (Optional rule)
- New units Aircraft Spotters. Maybe not necessarily the only units that can call in Aircrafts, but higher chance to arrive on time and hit units visible by the spotter. (Optional rule)
- If these new units are unpractical the abilities could be attached to leader units?

I assume this game will have Map-, Order of battle- and scenario-editors?
Will DCG still be possible (and as easy to make)?

(in reply to Vasquez)
Post #: 24
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/13/2019 12:20:14 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: vayte
Gameplay Ideas:
- Visual representation of loaded vehicles. Provides easier/faster unit management because of less dependence on the unit info box. More information about enemy troop carriers with fog war. More pretty...

This is possible as you can create a separate graphic for that. It was tried with the Germans in one of the updates where the German trucks would not have canvas when not loaded and canvas when loaded.

quote:

- Different stats for halftracks when loaded/unloaded. A halftrack with an infantry unit loaded should have more firepower/assault value than a unloaded one.

Interesting idea!

quote:

- Special abilities for unit types. For example, MG-Platoons can activate a special ability to pin-down infantry units. The pinned down units use more AP for movement and or have less defense value.

Is that firing at them and disrupting them?

quote:

- Opportunity fire probability based on armor facing. Very high probability of opportunity fire in the direction the unit faces, way less when coming up behind the unit. Brings a bit more tactical depth I think. (Optional rule)

Interesting idea, but can be down now by positioning units in ambush positions.

quote:

- New units Artillery-Observators. Artillery above a certain caliber (10cm or so) can only be fired at hexes the spotter can see (and at hexes they can see themselves, of course). This should make artillery a bit more realistic. (Optional rule)

Artillery will be getting a work over for East Front III, I believe artillery observers are on the list.

quote:

- New units Aircraft Spotters. Maybe not necessarily the only units that can call in Aircrafts, but higher chance to arrive on time and hit units visible by the spotter. (Optional rule)

This also might get an overhaul for East Front III.

quote:

- If these new units are unpractical the abilities could be attached to leader units?

Possibly, depends on how the overhauls are taken care of.

quote:

I assume this game will have Map-, Order of battle- and scenario-editors?

Yes, of course!

quote:

Will DCG still be possible (and as easy to make)?

Overhauling the LCG and DCG systems are on the books for East Front III.

(in reply to vayte)
Post #: 25
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/13/2019 4:34:00 PM   
vayte

Visual representation of loaded vehicles:
Yes, it already works. I use it in a couple of instances. But the bmp´s are loaded from the root folder, not from the special folder. So it is necessary to replace the files every time the time period changes to fit the camo (early, normal, late, winter) used in the scenario. (Unless I did something wrong).

Different stats for halftracks:
The vanilla halftracks are a bad representation for the firepower of a loaded halftrack. The ***-halftracks are too overpowered when unloaded. A platoon of 6 german 251/1 has 6 light MG´s. A platoon of mot. Schützen has 8 light MG´s, MP´s, Rifles, a Grenade launcher ... jet the ***-halftracks have more firepower.

pin-down: Yes, you are right.

ambush positions: Haven´t heard about that.

Additional ideas for DCG:
- separate Reinforcement points for hard targets or hard targets costing double reinforcement points. Currently, a King Tiger cost as much to replace as a couple of Bicycles.
- Experience Points
- more than 99 scenarios
- Unit upgrades
- more flexible (core)-unit placement. This is probably impossible, but I found myself a couple of times editing a lot of scenarios because I decided the unit composition of the core units needed to be altered... It would be nice to get around this.

Post #: 26
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/13/2019 5:23:21 PM   
XLVIIIPzKorp

quote:

Visual representation of loaded vehicles:
Yes, it already works. I use it in a couple of instances. But the bmp´s are loaded from the root folder, not from the special folder. So it is necessary to replace the files every time the time period changes to fit the camo (early, normal, late, winter) used in the scenario. (Unless I did something wrong).

No vayte you aren't doing anything wrong. I've experimented with this and have made it work but as you say you need to swap out files whenever the time period changes. It is much easier having a visual representation of loaded vs unloaded vehicles. I hope this is addressed in the next version of this.

Here are some of the units I'm working with now.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by XLVIIIPzKorp -- 9/13/2019 5:26:27 PM >

(in reply to vayte)
Post #: 27
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/13/2019 5:43:19 PM   
vayte

yours look nicer than mine. are you willing to share the bmp´s?
I assume the .bit outline cuts through heads when the unit it selected? Or is there a way to edit them too?

< Message edited by vayte -- 9/13/2019 5:52:57 PM >

(in reply to XLVIIIPzKorp)
Post #: 28
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/13/2019 5:59:01 PM   
XLVIIIPzKorp

quote:

yours look nicer than mine. are you willing to share them?
I assume the .bit outline cuts through heads when the unit it selected? Or is there a way to edit them too?

No, no cuts. I redo the .bit files too. I've redone trucks, tracks, and carriers, for Soviet, German, American, and Brit. Swap everything in and out with JSGME. PM me here on the board with your email. I'll try to send you some files later today or tomorrow.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to vayte)
Post #: 29
RE: Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER ... - 9/15/2019 6:12:38 PM   
Crossroads

^^ Those look really neat, Gary! I mean, XLVIII PzKorp! Kudos

(in reply to XLVIIIPzKorp)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Campaign Series EFIII, WFII and Pacific Front USER WISH LIST Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI