Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 3:59:00 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_84EimN2HCg

Dear Lord why are they making such movies...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Post #: 1
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 4:50:06 PM   
Fishbed

Well apart from the usual absolute ridicule of having ships in such a close formation on the Japanese side, the PH exaggerations and the doubtful size of that bomb under the SBD's wing (I thought the Round Table had that covered...) for the rest it is actually not... too bad?

I mean, they get the Japanese flight decks right at least

If you're referring to the Nell crashing into USS Enterprise and cutting the tail of a parked Dauntless, it actually happened.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 2
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 4:57:38 PM   
Yaab

Now we know what the Plan Orange was all about - bomb the Jap fleet with napalm bombs. They should change the title to "Napalmway".

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 3
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 5:47:14 PM   
Chickenboy

Yeah, the trailer got the Pearl Harbor attack, the Enterprise's brush with the Betty kamikaze in early 1942, the Doolittle raid and other early war stuff crammed in there. There was also repair of Yorktown's battle damage post-Coral Sea.
And...oh yeah...I guess Midway too. And some bad acting and flat delivery of lines too. So I don't know what to think about it yet, other than wait for reviews and / or Netflix.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 4
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 6:16:07 PM   
John 3rd

Looks like Midway gets hit by about 200 Japanese planes. Looks pretty accurate to me. NOT!

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 5
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 6:29:29 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Looks like Midway gets hit by about 200 Japanese planes. Looks pretty accurate to me. NOT!

I like the 'parade formation' of the Japanese planes at about 200' off the deck too.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 6
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 6:35:48 PM   
BBfanboy

The closing sequence showing an SBD dropping its bomb and then rounding out 50 feet above the water and below the deck level of the Japanese carrier is pretty laughable. From the moment the bomb was released it would fall way faster than the SBD with dive brakes and explode before the SBD could get down to sea level. Friendly fire suicide. Releasing at 3000 and rounding out at 2000 would be more than scary enough.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 7
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/13/2019 9:36:17 PM   
Sardaukar

Seems like utter crap.

Sad, considering the advances in CGI...since now Hollywood has tools to make spectacular war movies..but no brains...

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 6:11:24 AM   
Kursk1943

All the same...I'm gonna watch it for sure.
Not many war movies out there nowadays...

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 9
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 7:46:47 AM   
AlessandroW

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Seems like utter crap.

Sad, considering the advances in CGI...since now Hollywood has tools to make spectacular war movies..but no brains...

That's right but the real problem is the audience, no one but us want historical movies, Star Wars special effects are perfectly fine for the vast majority of the people.
If you take a look at the director's filmography there is no chance to have a historical movie

To be honest I read good comments for "Fury" even in wargamimg forums

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 12:35:04 PM   
Elessar2

I did notice at the end, a bomb falling into the middle of the deck of a Japanese CV [perhaps Pete Best's onto the Akagi]...

...exploding in the midst of c. a dozen planes.

Fuchida would feel vindicated.

(in reply to AlessandroW)
Post #: 11
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 1:35:56 PM   
Canoerebel

No way I'd waste time with this pile of poo from an overheated jungle bat.

And even if the special effects and story line are geared to today's audiences with short attention spans and preference for ahistorical video game graphics, this movie will flop all over the place. Younger audiences don't want movies about 1942; they prefer things set in fantasy, like Captain Marvel and Spider Man and wearwolves and vampires.

(in reply to Elessar2)
Post #: 12
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 3:18:50 PM   
jagsdomain

At least they did not gender and race Sapp everyone.
Nice to get some love for the guy that jumped into the sbd. He was called to the bridge by Halsey and was promoted in the spot. He was shot down not long later.
We should all support this movie.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 13
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 3:57:33 PM   
Fishbed

It's even worse than that. Bruno Gaido and his pilot had to ditch on the way back to TF16 due to battle damage and lack of fuel. They were recovered by a Japanese DD where they were both beaten, tortured and executed in high seas, thrown overboard with weights attached to their feet.
This and his well documented heroism, no wonder he'll be an excellent topic drama-wise.

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 14
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:39:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

At least they did not gender and race Sapp everyone.
Nice to get some love for the guy that jumped into the sbd. He was called to the bridge by Halsey and was promoted in the spot. He was shot down not long later.
We should all support this movie.

Shot down? The guy was a maintenance crewman at the time he jumped into the SBD. Did he train as an air gunner after that?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 15
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:39:46 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
wearwolves and vampires.

Wearwolves? Are those stories about canidae with a sizable wardrobe?

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 16
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:42:49 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
wearwolves and vampires.

Wearwolves? Are those stories about canidae with a sizable wardrobe?

Per the song "Werewolves of London"

"Stay away from him, He'll rip your lungs out Jim! , ...but I'd like to meet his tailor."

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 17
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:44:44 PM   
Canoerebel

Dadgum spelling handicapped.

My first and last spelling bee was first grade, Palmetto Elementary School:

Mrs. Applegate: "Next contestant is Danny. Your word is 'Who.'"

Danny: "H-O."

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 18
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:52:42 PM   
jagsdomain

From what I remember he was given the choice of dutes after than. He choose to be a gunner and was shot down not long after.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 19
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:53:45 PM   
jagsdomain

What a name. I am betting they wont show how he died.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 20
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 4:56:35 PM   
jagsdomain

Please remember to support the movie no matter how many "why did they do that moment"
As much as Bays Pearl Harbor was the worst cinamatice rash fire of all time I am glad he made it.
WW2 and American heorisum has been forgotten about and delibertly removed from school.
This movie at least brings it up again and that is great.

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 21
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 5:45:55 PM   
AlessandroW

quote:

ORIGINAL: jagsdomain

Please remember to support the movie no matter how many "why did they do that moment"
As much as Bays Pearl Harbor was the worst cinamatice rash fire of all time I am glad he made it.
WW2 and American heorisum has been forgotten about and delibertly removed from school.
This movie at least brings it up again and that is great.

Hell no, they made the movie only for money, maybe propaganda but essentially for money (like the wars themselves).

If you want to pass a message to the new generations I don't think a blockbuster movie without historical research/accuracy is the good means, of course IMHO

< Message edited by AlessandroW -- 9/14/2019 5:47:37 PM >

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 22
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 6:12:28 PM   
Fishbed

This movie has a lot of research embedded in it. Make no mistakes - Emmerich loves the topic and he went to great lengths to inject some flavor. Some stuff that was asked to the Midway Roundtable and the fact some of them over there served as advisors is a very good thing. Bombs and flight gear will have the proper color - that is for the historical accuracy part
Another example is that they went full shattered sword regarding the state of the flight decks during the attack. Again, that wasn't a given at all.
Of course, they had to spoil all this with all these ships so close together, too many planes everywhere, or the classic outrageous hollywood shots between the towers of battleship row. But, again, if you can go beyond the exaggerated eye-candy, I bet you here and now that it will be leagues above 1976's Midway in terms of historicity and research.

< Message edited by Fishbed -- 9/14/2019 7:12:28 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 6:20:31 PM   
jagsdomain

Of all the wars that I know about. Ww2 is the only one that you can make a strong case for.
And American exalance has to be remembered.

Post #: 24
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 6:40:45 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fishbed

This movie has a lot of research embedded in it. Make no mistakes - Emmerich loves the topic and he went to great length. Some stuff that was asked to the Midway Roundtable and the fact some of them over there served as advisors is a very good thing. Bombs and flight gear will have the proper color - that is for the historical accuracy part
Another example is that they went full shattered sword regarding the state of the flight decks during the attack. Again, that wasn't a given at all.
Of course, they had to spoil all this with all these ships so close together, too many planes everywhere, or the classic outrageous hollywood shots between the towers of battleship. But, again, if you can go beyond the exaggerated eye-candy, I bet you here and now that it will be leagues over 1976 Midway in terms of historicity and research.

Have to agree. Roland has always done solid work.
Also remember that real life does not always make a good movie. Having the ships close is a must for the movie. Having alot of planes is a must for the movie.
I got into civil war history because of Gettysburgh the movie.
I look at it today and see a very flawed movie but without it I would know nothing about it.

(in reply to Fishbed)
Post #: 25
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 7:16:28 PM   
Canoerebel

Gettysburg was an excellent movie, both historically and as a work of art/entertainment.

(in reply to jagsdomain)
Post #: 26
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 7:23:43 PM   
mind_messing

If the AE forumites had to write the script for that film, I have no doubt it would be amazingly accurate, but unspeakably dull.

Emmerich seems to be ramming all the action he can in, which makes sense given that watching two hours of code breaking and planning meetings would not make engaging viewing.

Watching the trailer, seems a pretty fair representation of history. Will wait and see what the reviews say.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 27
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 7:45:53 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

If the AE forumites had to write the script for that film, I have no doubt it would be amazingly accurate, but unspeakably dull.

Emmerich seems to be ramming all the action he can in, which makes sense given that watching two hours of code breaking and planning meetings would not make engaging viewing.

Watching the trailer, seems a pretty fair representation of history. Will wait and see what the reviews say.

Cramming in lots of action is one of the reasons I hated the opening sequence of Saving Private Ryan. They crammed the carnage that took place over miles of beach into a few hundred yards. I get that they wanted to shock the viewers, but that was overboard and gave the impression no one survived the landing intact. But I am a purist who has watched lots of actual war footage so I am sure that is not most people's reaction.

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 28
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 9:32:43 PM   
Canoerebel

Museum Director: "We'll attract a bigger audience if we cram more action into this display. Instead of the president getting shot in a booth and the perpetrator jumping down and escaping, let's have him seated in the audience amidst a group of children and Booth having a bazooka and zooming down a zip line."

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 29
RE: Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... - 9/14/2019 9:33:34 PM   
Miller

I have to admit my entire interest in the pacific WW2 theatre came from watching the original Midway movie as a child. Sure, looking back it has lots of flaws which I won't go into now, but at the time not all the facts from the battle were known and there was no CGI for the battle scenes.

I'm surprised they've even bothered doing a new movie on it, considering the youth of today would have little or no interest in it (maybe men over 40 would but thats it, I doubt any women would want to watch it). Obvioulsy it has been "spiced up" a lot to try and appeal to a wider market, but imo it's doomed to be a massive turkey.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Semi OT: 2nd Trailer for "Midway" movie... Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI