Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/2/2019 8:10:24 PM   
apbarog

14 Apr 43

Sailfish spotted an enemy submarine near Koepang and hit it with a torpedo, sinking the sub. The enemy sub was reported to be I-122, but Tracker suggests it wasn't I-122. I am fairly sure that this sub was badly damaged already, and was limping back to Koepang.

Sturgeon and Porpoise fired torpedoes at E-boats south of Mindanao but missed. There's a bunch of enemy patrols now on a line east to west from Babeldaob. I don't know if the enemy convoys are still using this route, but the enemy ASW is there.

4 US destroyers bombarded Makin Island, causing 82 casualties to the 51st Naval Guard Unit and minor port damage. Makin has no airfield and will be invaded in a few weeks, when the invaders are prepped. Mili, to the north of Makin, has a size 2 airfield and troops are loading at Tabiteuea to invade Mili. B-25s bombed Mili and destroyed a Tina on the ground, which was interesting.

P-38s swept Ambon. 4 or 6 Oscars were downed.

The supply situation in China is definitely improving, slowly. I can tell from Tracker that the Chinese bases that have been short of supply for many months are now either OK or less deficient in supply.

Allied troops invaded Koepang with no enemy interference. Mines were found but not hit. They are being swept. The APAs completely unloaded the troops. There's a bit of troops still to unload from xAPs, and a lot of supply to unload. The APAs will now leave the area. Carriers will move to a point 2 hexes to the south of Koepang. I've become predictable, setting them up 1 hex from what they are protecting, so I'm doing this to mix it up. 3 US slow battleships will bombard Koepang and the troops will attack. The base will fall. Maybe not immediately but it will fall. Here's the order of battle. I expected an enemy division but there's just a regiment at Koepang.

Ground combat at Koepang (68,116)

Japanese Bombardment attack

Attacking force 6394 troops, 66 guns, 36 vehicles, Assault Value = 262

Defending force 31612 troops, 548 guns, 518 vehicles, Assault Value = 917

Japanese ground losses:
25 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
45 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
16th Infantry Regiment
23rd Nav Gd Unit
44th JNAF AF Unit
17th JNAF AF Unit
28th Fld AA Gun Co
10th Port Unit
36th JNAF AF Unit
49th JNAF AF Unit
9th Ind.Hvy.Art. Battalion
30th JAAF AF Bn
15th Ind.Art.Mortar Battalion
21st Air Flotilla
109th JAAF AF Bn

Defending units:
131st Cmbt Engineer Regiment
193rd Tank Battalion
41st Infantry Division
3rd Marine Division
627th Tank Destroyer Battalion
225th Field Artillery Battalion
131st Field Artillery Battalion
249th Field Artillery Battalion
197th Coast AA Regiment
260th Field Artillery Battalion
I Marine Amphib Corps /1

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1201
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/3/2019 10:49:29 PM   
apbarog

15 Apr 43

Landing at Koepang continues without enemy interference. More minefields and mines found there, probably just dropped by subs. Lots of mines swept and none hit by ships. Lots of supply unloaded into the ground units.

Near Laoag on Luzon, Tambor fired 2 torpedoes at TK Fukko Maru. One hit, and the tanker was carrying fuel. Audio implies that it sunk. I have subs all around the Phillipines now, anticipating ever-changing enemy convoy routes.

Grunion hit subchaser Ch 30 with a torpedo, presumably sinking the ship. Snook was hit by 2 depth charges by E W-11 near Cam Ranh Bay. Snook is SYS 24/FLOT 49-21/ENG 1/FIRE 0 and should survive the long trip back to Darwin.

4 US destroyers bombarded Mili to test out the naval guns there, and they were there, but didn't get a hit on the ships. Minor base damage done. The only ground unit believed to be there is the Mili Naval Fortress.

Slow US battleships bombard Koepang to good effect.

Night Naval bombardment of Koepang at 68,116

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5 Zero: 1 damaged
A6M5 Zero: 1 destroyed on ground
Ki-43-IIb Oscar: 4 damaged
Ki-43-IIb Oscar: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
DD Makinami, Shell hits 1, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
BB Pennsylvania
BB Arizona
BB West Virginia
CA Canberra
CL Hobart
DD Tucker
DD Cassin
DD Downes
DD Flusser
DD Perkins
DD Cushing
DD Shaw
DD Smith

Japanese ground losses:
834 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 4 disabled
Non Combat: 36 destroyed, 62 disabled
Engineers: 5 destroyed, 9 disabled
Guns lost 15 (6 destroyed, 9 disabled)
Vehicles lost 29 (5 destroyed, 24 disabled)

Airbase hits 50
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 112
Port hits 14
Port fuel hits 3
Port supply hits 1

143 SBDs bombed enemy troops on Koepang, but caused only 26 casualties. The initial ground attack followed.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28756 troops, 498 guns, 493 vehicles, Assault Value = 918

Defending force 14549 troops, 130 guns, 55 vehicles, Assault Value = 243

Allied adjusted assault: 1304

Japanese adjusted defense: 395

Allied assault odds: 3 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1494 casualties reported
Squads: 9 destroyed, 167 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 19 disabled
Guns lost 55 (7 destroyed, 48 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
214 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 20 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
193rd Tank Battalion
41st Infantry Division
3rd Marine Division
I Marine Amphib Corps
197th Coast AA Regiment

Defending units:
16th Infantry Regiment
23rd Nav Gd Unit
30th JAAF AF Bn
49th JNAF AF Unit
36th JNAF AF Unit
44th JNAF AF Unit
28th Fld AA Gun Co
21st Air Flotilla
10th Port Unit
17th JNAF AF Unit
109th JAAF AF Bn

Koepang will be captured soon. There's enough supply with the Allied troops for them to attack multiple times. There could be an enemy battleship approaching from the north, but it may not make it to Koepang in time, and would be risking going up against the Allied carriers. I can't think that OPilot would do this without KB arriving, so that is expected soon too. Regardless, I think that the big base at Koepang will be captured soon. And it's a huge springboard towards Java and to the north. I can choose whether to invade enemy strong points or land elsewhere and build up new bases. Just too many places for the Japanese to defend. A big naval fight, combined with a huge land based air contribution, is about all the enemy can do.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1202
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/4/2019 2:15:00 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Do you have any paras near Mili? Standalone fortress units are usually vulnerable to air drops.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1203
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/4/2019 3:07:09 AM   
apbarog

No paras in the Marshalls. I'm loading a unit for Mili now at Tabiteuea. A strong US cruiser force is coming from Kusaie to support the landing. The Marshalls are a low priority backwater for me. And for OPilot. He's mostly pulled out of the area. While I was landing at Kwajalein, he's had the eastern bases of Majuro and the others, some with big airfields. But he hasn't flown any strikes at all. I think they are mostly abandoned. A long while ago he had fighters at Mili, but not for months. The only thing keeping me from taking all of the Marshalls is myself. I'll be cleaning up the islands slowly, with the priority being given to the action around Timor.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1204
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/4/2019 3:17:31 AM   
apbarog

Note on the map above that I just snuck an AVP to the island NW of Roti. Catalinas are now there, giving me more early warning to the northwest of Timor. I have another AVP at Babar now. I'd like to sneak it to dot base 3 hexes south of Kendari, but I doubt that I could successfully do so. I got the other one into position by moving it with the armada as far as Roti, then breaking it off and hoping that it wouldn't be seen at its destination. It was not seen.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1205
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/4/2019 9:58:41 PM   
apbarog

16 Apr 43

Allied minesweepers clear Koepang. North of Ambon, Dutch sub KXVII spots CS Chiyoda, CL Agano and 7 destroyers. Could be a battleship group, could be carriers. Not seen during the day.

Near Jesselton, sub Salmon is hit by a depth charge. Salmon is ordered back to Darwin.

Southwest of Kwajalein, I-36 torpedoes tiny YO Y-6. The yard oiler was carrying fuel to Kwajalein, as is 2 other YOs.

4 enemy subs are spotted at Townsville. Has to be a minelaying operation. Sweepers and extra ASW are deployed.

I do love those Beaufighters. In the right circumstances of no CAP and soft naval targets, pilots trained in low naval and strafing do very well in them.

Morning Air attack on TF, near Sorong at 82,107

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 18 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 4 minutes

Allied aircraft
Beaufighter VIc x 14

No Allied losses

Japanese Ships
xAK Kotobuki Maru #5, Shell hits 18, Bomb hits 11, and is sunk
PB Syozui Maru, Shell hits 2, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
14 x Beaufighter VIc bombing from 100 feet
Naval Attack: 2 x 250 lb GP Bomb

3 US heavy bomber squadrons in Chungking bombed Sian's airfield for the first time. A Sally was destroyed on the ground. There was no CAP. Light to moderate airfield damage. Maybe the enemy will have to start protecting their Chinese bases.

Derby is taken.

Ground combat at Derby (64,127)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 801 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 34

Defending force 382 troops, 5 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 3

Allied adjusted assault: 9

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 9 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Derby !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-)
Attacker: leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
38 casualties reported
Squads: 13 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
4th Marine Raider Battalion

Defending units:
Yokosuka 1st SNLF

The second attack at Koepang succeeds easily.

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 28691 troops, 500 guns, 496 vehicles, Assault Value = 895

Defending force 13138 troops, 134 guns, 56 vehicles, Assault Value = 103

Allied adjusted assault: 1450

Japanese adjusted defense: 77

Allied assault odds: 18 to 1 (fort level 3)

Allied forces CAPTURE Koepang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4526 casualties reported
Squads: 175 destroyed, 10 disabled
Non Combat: 195 destroyed, 35 disabled
Engineers: 54 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 71 (61 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 26 (26 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units retreated 12

Allied ground losses:
372 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 40 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 12 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 16 disabled
Vehicles lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)

Defeated Japanese Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
3rd Marine Division
193rd Tank Battalion
41st Infantry Division
I Marine Amphib Corps
197th Coast AA Regiment

Defending units:
16th Infantry Regiment
23rd Nav Gd Unit
28th Fld AA Gun Co
10th Port Unit
30th JAAF AF Bn
17th JNAF AF Unit
44th JNAF AF Unit
49th JNAF AF Unit
21st Air Flotilla
36th JNAF AF Unit
109th JAAF AF Bn

Major units immediately begin prepping for future targets. Most of these are going to the Celebes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1206
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2019 2:33:11 AM   
BBfanboy

He may try to rescue some of those troops from Koepang by picking them up with Patrol Aircraft, FT TFs or subs. Patrol aircraft seems most likely, so if you can CAP the hex you might get some of his valuable Emilys or Mavis's.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1207
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/5/2019 7:36:04 PM   
apbarog

17 Apr 43

I-33 is hit by a depth charge northwest of Tarawa. A US cruiser force is moving through, getting ready to support a landing at Mili.

A US engineer regiment landed at Roti, next to Koepang. No defenders.

12 B-17Ds bombed Dili's airfield, but 24 Oscars had been moved in. A couple of Oscars are downed. 2 B-17s are shot down, and 4 others don't make it home. This is the last of the weakly defended "D" model. The unit is now upgrading. Remember that this is a PDU OFF game, so I make use of all of the airframes available. This unit had been tasked with mostly milk runs, but it doesn't always work out that way.

The 4th Marine Raider Battalion took Derby yesterday. Today it kicked out what's left of the Yokosuka 1st SNLF unit, causing heavy losses in a shock attack. Broome is still in enemy hands, just to the west. About 5 enemy units there, probably nothing substantial.

Allied troops are now marching south from Moulmein towards Tavoy. Others are assembling for Strat movement to Moulmein for the flanking and attack of Rahaeng. Tavoy will probably succeed, with care given to the possibility of the enemy trying to cut the road behind the advancing troops, from a trail from Bangkok. The move on Rahaeng will be very slow developing, with movement in the jungle required. There will be plenty of time for the enemy to react and prepare the flanks. Rahaeng is already well defended. The flanks will be by the time the Allies get there. This will be an attritional battle and one that will probably be a stalemate. But it will probably draw more enemy units into Thailand from elsewhere. Troop ships continue to show up at Bangkok. The enemy had over 40,000 men there 2 days ago. Yesterday it was over 20,000. They went somewhere north.

The first P-47D squadron appeared on the East Coast. I sent it to Capetown for use in Burma and Thailand.

The 4 enemy subs at Townsville dropped off midget subs, not mines. 2 midget subs were reportedly hit by aircraft. Ships hunt the midget subs and others guard the escape route to the east.

Chungking has over 25,000 supply for the first time in a long time. Rangoon did have over 300,000 supply. Now it is about 135,000. It's going somewhere. Things are definitely looking up in China. Units will begin upgrading there soon, and taking on replacements.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1208
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/6/2019 7:36:54 PM   
apbarog

18 Apr 43

Near Donggala in the Celebes, sub Sculpin spots a convoy of big tankers. 4 torpedoes are fired at TK Oita Maru. One hit but it was a dud. The positioning near Donggala is not one that would be used for ships leaving Balikpapan. Could be coming from Soerabaja.

A midget sub is spotted just east of Townsville but isn't engaged by destroyers. 2 midget subs appear to be leaving the area, or redeploying to Palm Island near Townsville. Probably leaving. Lots of aircraft after these guys but no hits today.

East of Cooktown, I-17 spotted yard oilers headed to Milne Bay with fuel. YO-48 was hit by a torpedo and was sunk. Enemy subs have been mostly staying away from Australian bases, allowing for my big convoys to move from Townsville to Darwin unseen. Ships going to New Guinea usually get spotted though.

B-25s from Rangoon bombed Mergui, hitting the airfield. Moderate damage done. Supporting the upcoming Tavoy operation, and figured there would be no CAP, and there wasn't.

B-24s from Chungking bombed Ningsia's airfield in northern China. Ningsia is the nearest enemy base being used for the enemy Lanchow offensive. No bombs hit in heavy rain.

Roti was taken by a US construction regiment. Followup troops and supply are unloading at Koepang, and 2 US fighter squadrons are moved into the damaged base. Loading for Dili and Lautem is beginning at Gove and will start at Darwin tomorrow. Allied carriers are now leaving station south of Koepang and headed to Darwin. At least 2 US carrier fighter squadrons will upgrade to Hellcats at Darwin. Getting 4 or 5 Hellcats a day as reinforcements is such an increase to what's been seen up until April '43.

I have a suspicion that more Allied supply gets into China than would be expected from the base limitations near the Burma border. Supply at Chungking is growing faster than I expected, with it now over 36,000. I'm happy about it, but I can't explain the rate of increase. Those western bases now have engineers working on expanding, and increasing the supply pull possible, but they have work to do, and some bases pull less than 1,000 supply.

OPilot has been paying attention to the Mariannas in the past couple of months. With Wake Island in Allied hands, and now a strong foothold in the Marshalls, as well as Kusaie and Ponape, the Mariannas could be seen to be threatened. I think he's building and increasing the troops there. I get regular SigInt of heavy activity, so ships are there doing something. I also suspect that KB could be using the Mariannas as a base, ready to protect there or Truk, and not far from moving to the action north of Australia. No proof, just lots of heavy activity messages.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 9/6/2019 7:37:21 PM >

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1209
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/7/2019 2:52:55 AM   
BBfanboy

In addition to supply flowing to Chungking, getting resources and fuel to flow to Chinese industries will increase their production. The Burma road is not the only conduit for this - all of the road and rail network in China that is taken out of Japanese control will help, because HI and LI are frequently under-resourced from nearby places.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1210
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/8/2019 3:18:45 AM   
apbarog

19 Apr 43

Well southeast of Daito Shoto, south of Japan proper, Tunny fired 2 torpedoes at xAK Amagi Maru #2. One hit but was a dud. I'd had a good run of non-duds a few weeks ago, lowering the 1943 dud percentage to 32%, but now it is back at exactly 40%.

US bombers are hitting Mili hard, causing many casualties in the clear terrain. Mili will be invaded today. There's a naval fortress unit here. US cruisers will bombard, but that tends to help for a day, if any. Then the transports get pounded on day 2. I do have a cruiser in with the transports, so we'll see how it goes. There's an enemy sub at Mili now. There haven't been mines but there may be now.

AVP Tydeman was on a super secret mission to hide in an Allied dot base near Kendari. It could move 3 hexes a phase, and needed to move 3 hexes to the dot base. It got there, but was spotted during the day, despite thunderstorms. 13 Bettys with 19 Zeros from Kendari arrived and sank the support ship. It was a high risk, high reward operation.

All assault troops for eastern Timor are now loading at Darwin or already loaded at Gove. Allied carriers will move to Darwin today to refuel and rearm. 2 Wildcat squadrons flew ahead to Darwin to upgrade to Hellcats. Unfortunately, one had a plane left on the carrier, so no upgrade until today.

Supply in China continues to bounce around, down to 20,000 at Chungking, but lots was distributed. There's only one Chinese base west or south of Lanchow with a yellow exclamation mark. There's still bases in far northern China without supply, but that will change soon. Lanchow has supply, as does the Chinese troops in the mountains to the east, until you get about 4 hexes east, then no supply. This is a big improvement. I think the threat to Lanchow is now over, though OPilot has no way of knowing that.

< Message edited by apbarog -- 9/8/2019 3:19:09 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1211
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/8/2019 3:59:15 AM   
RangerJoe

If it is a naval fortress/CD unit only or with just support troops, paratroopers are your best bet.

Instead of sending an AVP, fly in a few AV from an air HQ. No ship seen, if no recon no ground unit is seen and you can operate PBYs.

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1212
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/8/2019 4:14:05 AM   
apbarog

Mili is showing 5 enemy units, so my invading infantry regiment may not be enough, despite heavy bombing. It will be interesting.

I may pick a different place to fly in support troops for basing Catalinas. OPilot is now alert to that hex.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 1213
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/9/2019 8:29:47 PM   
apbarog

20 Apr 43

I-2 got hit by a mousetrap in the Marshalls, but should survive.

Huge transport xAP Brazil Maru was hit by 2 torpedoes from sub Gurnard south of Tokyo. One hit was a dud. The ship is on fire and heavily damaged, and was carrying troops and headed south. There's been a lot of SigInt activity at Tokyo in the past few days, and this convoy is probably one of the causes. The task force was headed south, either towards the Mariannas or towards Truk.

Mili was invaded. The cruiser bombardment force did bombard, and were instead on their way to bombard Onotoa, a friendly base to the south. I don't know how that happened but I mis-clicked on that operation. As it was, the Mili Naval Fortress didn't appear to get a shot off at the invaders. Troops landed both at night and during the day, and were completely landed. Bombers hit the enemy doing good work.

Ground combat at Mili (136,121)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 3468 troops, 48 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 107

Defending force 5300 troops, 73 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 94

Allied adjusted assault: 2

Japanese adjusted defense: 26

Allied assault odds: 1 to 13 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
39 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1205 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 132 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled

Assaulting units:
158th(Sep) Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
Ichiki Det.
63rd Naval Guard Unit
Mili Naval Fortress
7th JNAF Coy
56th JNAF AF Unit

I can't explain the Allied adjusted assault value. Plenty of supply. Good leader. It is a "green" unit with just 50 experience. From the number of men, I didn't expect to take the island, but I didn't expect every infantry squad to become disabled. Now the situation is much like Roi-Namur, where the landing went bad. I will continue to bomb the enemy, and the wayward cruiser TF will now rush to bombard. The US troops will be ok if they are not counter attacked. They have lots of supply, and will recover with time. A long time. I see that the enemy is out of supply. So now US troops are on Roi-Namur, Jaluit and Mili, but all are recovering from unsuccessful shock attacks upon landing.

I've learned to use more forces in these island assaults. I'll use tanks wherever possible, but it wasn't possible here. Only so many to go around. Fortunately, the Marshalls have become a backwater to the war. We'll clean up the islands eventually.

The invasion armada for Dili and Timor have left ports and will rendezvous north of Darwin today.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1214
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/9/2019 8:41:42 PM   
jwolf

How well were your guys prepped for Mili? That's the only thing I can think of that would have wrecked the effective AV so badly.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1215
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/9/2019 8:49:07 PM   
apbarog

Almost fully prepped for Mili. Here's what's left.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1216
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/10/2019 1:50:09 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: apbarog

20 Apr 43

I-2 got hit by a mousetrap in the Marshalls, but should survive.

Huge transport xAP Brazil Maru was hit by 2 torpedoes from sub Gurnard south of Tokyo. One hit was a dud. The ship is on fire and heavily damaged, and was carrying troops and headed south. There's been a lot of SigInt activity at Tokyo in the past few days, and this convoy is probably one of the causes. The task force was headed south, either towards the Mariannas or towards Truk.

Mili was invaded. The cruiser bombardment force did bombard, and were instead on their way to bombard Onotoa, a friendly base to the south. I don't know how that happened but I mis-clicked on that operation. As it was, the Mili Naval Fortress didn't appear to get a shot off at the invaders. Troops landed both at night and during the day, and were completely landed. Bombers hit the enemy doing good work.

Ground combat at Mili (136,121)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 3468 troops, 48 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 107

Defending force 5300 troops, 73 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 94

Allied adjusted assault: 2

Japanese adjusted defense: 26

Allied assault odds: 1 to 13 (fort level 4)

Combat modifiers
Defender: forts(+), leaders(-), disruption(-), experience(-)
supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(+)

Japanese ground losses:
39 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled

Allied ground losses:
1205 casualties reported
Squads: 18 destroyed, 132 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 12 disabled

Assaulting units:
158th(Sep) Infantry Regiment

Defending units:
Ichiki Det.
63rd Naval Guard Unit
Mili Naval Fortress
7th JNAF Coy
56th JNAF AF Unit

I can't explain the Allied adjusted assault value. Plenty of supply. Good leader. It is a "green" unit with just 50 experience. From the number of men, I didn't expect to take the island, but I didn't expect every infantry squad to become disabled. Now the situation is much like Roi-Namur, where the landing went bad. I will continue to bomb the enemy, and the wayward cruiser TF will now rush to bombard. The US troops will be ok if they are not counter attacked. They have lots of supply, and will recover with time. A long time. I see that the enemy is out of supply. So now US troops are on Roi-Namur, Jaluit and Mili, but all are recovering from unsuccessful shock attacks upon landing.

I've learned to use more forces in these island assaults. I'll use tanks wherever possible, but it wasn't possible here. Only so many to go around. Fortunately, the Marshalls have become a backwater to the war. We'll clean up the islands eventually.

The invasion armada for Dili and Timor have left ports and will rendezvous north of Darwin today.

If you can, land a USA BF to provide support for those troops - the recovery will go much faster. Bring arty for hammering the IJA troops.
You got a very bad die roll, but the lack of supply for the IJA will mean his disablements recover very slowly and you continued hammering will keep the disablements going.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1217
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/10/2019 2:00:56 AM   
apbarog

Another landing of troops would cause another shock attack. Not an option, unless I bring more assault troops, and there aren't any prepped.

Same plan as Roi Namur and Jaluit. Keep pounding by sea and air. The enemy is degraded while the US troops recover.

I do have more troops preparing for Roi Namur, but that will open a different can of worms with overstacking. It would either work fabulously on day 1 or be a complete failure, with no hope except for extracting the troops in the face of coastal guns.

I'm sure glad that OPilot isn't really fighting in the Marshall's. I'm doing enough self-inflicted damage as it is. The bases will be taken, just not quickly. The defenders are hurting here and on other islands, with sub supply the only supply coming in, and my ASW work is slowing that down.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1218
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/10/2019 1:15:57 PM   
jwolf

quote:

Another landing of troops would cause another shock attack.

Dumb question: would just the new troops who just landed make the shock attack, or your whole army that is already there?

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1219
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/10/2019 3:44:48 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

Another landing of troops would cause another shock attack.

Dumb question: would just the new troops who just landed make the shock attack, or your whole army that is already there?

The landed troops (if they are part of a unit already ashore) would merge with the landed troops and the whole unit would shock attack.
I am not sure about new units triggering the already-landed troops to join in. Generally you would want them to, unless what you are landing is something like tanks that can take a lot of punishment by themselves.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1220
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/11/2019 1:32:26 AM   
apbarog

21 Apr 43

US forces sink an enemy sub near Mili. 3 depth charges finished off the sub, with the message "Sounds of submarine breaking up detected!". The US cruiser force didn't quite get to Mili to bombard, but the enemy there did not attack. US ground forces begin to recover from the botched landing.

Sub attack near Torishima at 106,70

Japanese Ships
CV Amagi
CA Chikuma
CA Tone
CL Abukuma
CS Chitose
DD Tokitsukaze
DD Amatsukaze
DD Shiranui

Allied Ships
SS Pompon

SS Pompon launches 6 torpedoes at CV Amagi

One torpedo hit Amagi but it was a dud. From the heavy activity messages at Tokyo recently, I'm guessing that this task force came from Tokyo. If so, it headed southwest, which is a path towards the Philippines or Babeldaop, not Truk. With the Allied activity around Timor, I have to think that the enemy is gathering to the north of that area.

Near Balabac, east of the northeastern tip of Borneo, Plunger fired 2 torpedoes at small tanker Moji Maru. One hit.

Great news in China. Tracker shows that only 3 Chinese cities are deficient in supply. Lanchow has supply, and surprisingly, all of the Chinese units in the mountains to the east now have supply. Even ones 4 mountain hexes deep. I think the enemy offensive has been stopped, if lack of Japanese supply hasn't stopped it already. I'm starting to mark Chinese units for upgrade and replacements, starting with units in the capital.

The Allied invasion armada will move to a point 2 hexes south of Lautem, Java. 2 hexes to Lautem, 3 to Dili. Both will be invaded the next day.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1221
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/11/2019 7:39:36 PM   
apbarog

22 Apr 43

Blackfish spotted already damaged big transport xAP Brazil Maru heading back north to Japan. Blackfish fired 4 torpedoes and 2 hit. One was a dud. But sinking audio was heard immediately after. This was a big ship and it had men loaded on it. Possibly lots of men. A nice catch.

4 US cruisers bombarded Mili, causing 373 casualties and moderate base damage. Looks like the enemy won't counter-attack the US troops on the island. Support ships are moving from Tabiteuea to Tarawa to help rearm the ships. More bombardments to come.

A week or two ago, 18 Corsairs swept Rahaeng and did rather well, considering there were about 80 Oscars on CAP. Another Marine squadron upgraded to Corsairs, so I sent about 36 of them back to Rahaeng. It didn't go as well. The Marine squadrons swept individually and found 39 Oscars, 23 Tojos and 36 Tonys. Losses were even with 17 Corsairs lost and 12 Tonys, 5 Oscars and a Tojo shot down. Not acceptable with the slow reinforcement rate of the Corsairs.

Lots of enemy bombers and fighters from Bangkok hit the 268th Motorised Brigade before it attacked at Tavoy. Only 1 vehicle was hit though.

Ground combat at Tavoy (54,60)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 3906 troops, 64 guns, 158 vehicles, Assault Value = 151

Defending force 2208 troops, 14 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 86

Allied adjusted assault: 118

Japanese adjusted defense: 115

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 0

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), op mode(-), leaders(-), morale(-)
experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
71 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 18 disabled

Allied ground losses:
143 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 18 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
268th Motorised Brigade

Defending units:
6th RTA/B Division
4th JAAF AF Coy

The brigade is the vanguard of more forces moving south to Tavoy. The enemy is apparently moving out, although another unit is moving in from the south.

Eastern Timor will be invaded. A division will go to both Dili and Lautem. Good APAs are being used. The bases should fall quickly.

Wasp, 4 CVEs, a CA and several CLs came out of refit at Pearl Harbor. Refit CLs and a repaired CVE are leaving Sydney. Everything is eventually headed to Darwin.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1222
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/12/2019 9:19:34 PM   
apbarog

23 Apr 43

Stingray spotted a cargo convoy hugging the Vietnamese coast near Cam Ranh Bay, confirming that the coastal route is still in use. Southwest of Saigon, in the shallow water between Saigon and Singapore, Sailfish spotted a convoy with AKs but was hit by a depth charge from an escorting E boat. The shallows are just plain dangerous for subs, but I want to keep appearing there occasionally to show that I'm willing to do so. Sailfish will start the long slow return to Darwin, and should make it if the FLOT minor damage is repaired en route. It's in the 70's, with the FLOT major damage in the 30's.

Dili and Lautem on Timor were invaded without enemy interference. All of the APAs emptied their troops and had just some supply left. They'll return to Darwin immediately. AKs and xAKs will continue unloading the few troops still loaded, along with lots of supply. The enemy at Dili is strong enough to wait a bit to attack. US troops at Lautem will attack immediately. There was no involuntary enemy artillery bombardment at Lautem, which is unusual when a landing occurs. There was one at Dili. Both bases should fall quickly. If I have to walk troops from Lautem to Dili, I will, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Southwest of Daito Shoto, well southwest of Japan and northeast of the Philippines, sub Jack spotted a big tanker convoy. 4 torpedoes were fired at big tanker Oita Maru. 2 hit and 1 was a dud. The tanker had fuel and is burning. Later in the day, Jack attacked the tanker again, hitting it with another working torpedo. Sinking audio implies that Jack got a big tanker.

Makin Island will be invaded today. It is a dot base with a small enemy unit. A small commando unit will land. The enemy has been pounded relentlessly by B-25s from Tarawa. The clear terrain at Makin has made bombing very effective.

Allied troops attacked again at Tavoy, taking a bit more casualties than the defenders. Allied reinforcements are about 5 days to the north. It's interesting to note that the Japanese Navy has reappeared west of Burma. 5 enemy destroyers are spotted west of Victoria Point. They are in bombardment range of Tavoy, and I think that is what they will do. I'm not concerned. No attack today and the jungle will limit the damage.

One note. The Chinese unit X-Force HQ has appeared as a reinforcement at Delhi, India. It is a restricted unit. I'm sure that OPilot will agree that it should be ok to allow it to move to China. It really shouldn't be a restricted unit. I did some reading on the X-Force and learned that Chinese troops were airlifted from China to India to train with the troops that had retreated out of Burma into India early in the war. I did so in a big manner. That's how those 2 huge Chinese corps were created, and they've been pivotal in the Burma campaign. Now I know that it was done historically also, at least to some degree. Always learning something new.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1223
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/13/2019 7:18:08 AM   
apbarog

24 Apr 43

The enemy task force west of Victoria Point disappeared. It probably retreated back south towards Georgetown once spotted. But if OPilot wanted to be sneaky and inflict a lot of pain, he could have moved it east into a base and disbanded. He'd be close enough for a high speed run to Rangoon or Rangoon's approaches, and I have several very large transport task forces in the area, with almost no escort. Fearing the worst, I sent my ships a bit to the north instead of going to Rangoon. I have a strong cruiser task force on the way from Ceylon.

Landings continued at Dili and Lautem. Mostly supply unloading. No enemy interference. Both bases were bombarded by slow US battleships. Pennsylvania and Arizona caused 1043 casualties at Dili, and moderate base damage. Dili has the 15th Naval Guard Unit, II/4th Infantry Battalion, 2nd Engineer Regiment and 3 base support units.

Sub Peto was passing through Zamboanga on the way north into the South China Sea. It spotted xAK Ryuyo Maru and hit it with a torpedo. The ship may survive, being at a base. This is the 3rd torpedo to hit Ryuyo Maru during the war. The other two were duds.

Sculpin hit E-boat Shirataka with a torpedo near Donggala. The ship was sunk.

4 US cruisers bombarded Makin, causing 201 casualties. A small Australian commando unit attacks.

Ground combat at Makin (136,125)

Allied Shock attack

Attacking force 707 troops, 0 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 23

Defending force 866 troops, 10 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 12

Allied adjusted assault: 21

Japanese adjusted defense: 1

Allied assault odds: 21 to 1 (fort level 0)

Allied forces CAPTURE Makin !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(-), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker: shock(+), leaders(-)

Japanese ground losses:
844 casualties reported
Squads: 55 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 30 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 14 (14 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Assaulting units:
2/6th Cav/Cdo Battalion

Defending units:
51st Naval Guard Unit

Lautem is barely defended and falls easily.

Ground combat at Lautem (72,115)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 11715 troops, 224 guns, 354 vehicles, Assault Value = 455

Defending force 1807 troops, 8 guns, 45 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Allied adjusted assault: 877

Japanese adjusted defense: 5

Allied assault odds: 175 to 1 (fort level 2)

Allied forces CAPTURE Lautem !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), disruption(-), experience(-), supply(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1506 casualties reported
Squads: 60 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 119 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 8 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 8 (8 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Vehicles lost 58 (58 destroyed, 0 disabled)
Units destroyed 2

Allied ground losses:
63 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 8 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Assaulting units:
762nd Tank Battalion
7th Infantry Division
640th Tank Destroyer Battalion
226th Field Artillery Battalion
45th Construction Regiment
Aus II Corps
15th Base Maint Engineer Battalion

Defending units:
2nd Recon Regiment
38th Field Const Co
8th Port Unit

Follow-up units will land at Lautem today. Carriers will stick around for one more day, moving a bit east to cover Lautem but not worry about Dili. Fighters are moved into Lautem.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1224
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/13/2019 12:20:15 PM   
jwolf

When I have a badly damaged sub limping back to base, I have taken to escorting it with 1 or 2 other subs. Anecdotally, survival rates are much better that way. A lone, crippled sub seems to founder very easily.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1225
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/13/2019 12:49:47 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

When I have a badly damaged sub limping back to base, I have taken to escorting it with 1 or 2 other subs. Anecdotally, survival rates are much better that way. A lone, crippled sub seems to founder very easily.

I agree with the idea for the purpose of having the escorting sub available to take on any threats as opposed to helping with ship repairs at sea. Alfred said pretty clearly that subs cannot help one another in this way.
I guess another benefit is that the escorting sub might save the captain if the damaged sub sinks.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1226
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/13/2019 1:09:17 PM   
jwolf

Thanks for the correction. Looks like I inferred things happening that actually were not. I'll probably still keep doing that, though.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1227
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/14/2019 12:52:37 AM   
apbarog

25 Apr 43

Unloading continued at Dili and Lautem. Mostly cargo ships unloading now. All of the good APAs are about to get back to Darwin.

4 US cruisers bombarded Mili causing 226 casualties and light base damage. This task force is now based at Tarawa and can refuel and rearm there.

Haddock is hit by a depth charge from E-boat Kiji near Balabac. Haddock was on the way into the South China Sea. Damage is light but with FLOT damage of 9, the sub is ordered back to Darwin.

Allied fighters in China will try to catch the enemy in the south today. I've noticed a bit of a pattern with OPilot's bombing attacks in the south. In the past week, they've been rotating east to west, sometimes hitting troops, sometimes bases. Let's see if we can get lucky. B-24s from the capital hit Ichang's airfield, doing minor damage. OPilot has good recon on the capital, and sees all of the fighters and the B-24s there.

The enemy bombed Allied troops at Tavoy and approaching Tavoy. The jungle limited the damage to the troops.

I made a mistake today. It was bad, but not critical. Yesterday I saw a ship at Ambon, and there's been a lot of fighters there. I wanted to avoid having my carrier aircraft go after the one small ship there and run into a big CAP. So I limited the range of my bombers to 6 hexes. Then I screwed up and moved the task forces to a hex 6 hexes from Ambon, instead of the 7 hexes that I wanted. Of course, planes went after a tiny minesweeper. AMc Hokuyo Maru was hit and sunk by 3 bombs. 35 SBDs attacked with 28 Wildcats escorting. But they ran into 42 Oscars. It was a massacre. 24 Wildcats were lost, as were 19 SBDs. No Oscars were downed. These things happen, but it hurts more knowing that I recognized the possible problem and intended to avoid it, then did not.

Only 9 pilots were KIA. The Wildcats came from a CVE, and the pilots were of a lesser quality than the big carrier pilots. With the newly arriving Hellcats coming in in big numbers, the Wildcat airframe losses won't hurt. The SBD-3 airframe losses do hurt. The SBD-5s will come in in bigger numbers, I think starting next month.

Fighters at Lautem will cover ships still unloading. Allied carriers and cruiser TFs will retire to Darwin. Ambon will be the next invasion, but I'm not sure if I'll be doing that immediately. I may have my carriers "disappear" by keeping them at Bathurst Island, next to Darwin, for awhile. OPilot does daily recon of Darwin but never Bathurst, and it's too far for naval search to find my ships. Eventually OPilot will setup a huge ambush with his carriers, and with continued Allied activity in the same area, I could be making that an easier job. It may appear that the Allied carrier force is huge, but it's just 4 big US carriers, a CVE and small British carrier Hermes. The enemy can easily outnumber that force, having lost just one big carrier.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1228
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/15/2019 7:20:05 AM   
apbarog

26 Apr 43

Heavy cruisers Salt Lake City, Louisville, Chester and Northampton have been making the rounds in the Marshalls, bombarding various bases. This time they hit Jaluit, causing 461 casualties and minor port damage. They are based at Tarawa and are already rearmed and refueled. Troops will be loading soon for Roi Namur. There's already a regiment there. We'll load another regiment and armor, which will overstack the island by quite a bit. I'll try a strategy of bringing a bigger hammer and lots of supply and hope that the overstacking doesn't sap their strength completely.

Coming off of losing a bunch of carrier aircraft at Ambon, and seeing that there were Oscars there, 2 P-38G squadrons were ordered to sweep, and they swept the skies over Ambon pretty well. About 40 Oscars were engaged. 34 were shot down. 2 P-38s were lost. 2 pilots became double aces, and Major F.L. Lawlor became a triple ace with 15 kills, tying for the league lead. Pappy Boyington is leading the more experienced squadron, and he has 4 kills. His squadron is the best of the best, an elite bunch of pilots. Both 15 kill pilots are here, with most of the pilots being aces.

Heavy bombers then hit Ambon, causing minor damage to the port and moderate damage to the airfield. They'll return today, while the P-38s rest. It's worth noting that the P-38s have done well in the South Pacific, where the enemy has used Oscars and Zeros, but in Burma and Thailand, they didn't do as well against Tonys and Tojos in a layered CAP with Oscars. That's why I ordered the first 2 P-47 squadrons to head to Capetown and then they'll go to Burma to beef up the air battle.

My fighter ambush in China didn't pan out. The enemy didn't show. The base got just 1/1 DL so the fighters will stay and try again.

Followup troops for Dili start to load at Darwin. I'll risk a few APAs to carry these troops, in order to get in and out quicker.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1229
RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apba... - 9/15/2019 2:51:39 PM   
BBfanboy

Several players who use overstacking during their attacks on atolls have reported that the penalties for overstacking seem quite small until you get well beyond 2X overstack. I haven't tried it myself yet.

(in reply to apbarog)
Post #: 1230
Page:   <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Did You Know I Used to Drive a Rollercoaster?: Apbarog(A) vs OPilot(J) Page: <<   < prev  39 40 [41] 42 43   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI