Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 4/24/2018 11:28:42 AM   
Hyding

You did your original volumes in chronological order so you were never able to get to the Easter offensive or "Year of the Rat" 1972 and the Final offensive in 1975.

I hope you are able to include them this time even if all years are not included.

PS I guess the Cambodian and Laotian incursions would also interest many of you fans but I put my favorites first.

Thanks for all you have already done

(in reply to Aetius_Varras)
Post #: 31
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/6/2019 9:28:56 PM   
BigDuke66

Any progress towards a release of the first volume?

(in reply to Hyding)
Post #: 32
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 3:05:46 AM   
r6kunz

quote:

Hello all,

I've received several messages recently asking why my VCO series (https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/) were not included in the TOAW IV release. They were made at the time for TOAW III and do not fully work as intended with the new iteration.

That said, thanks to the new TOAW IV upgraded parameters, I've started working on a new map covering the same area at 2.5km/hex (which will translate in a map roughly 400x280 hexes wide)which will be the basis for a revamped series. Stay tuned for more info here, I hope to have the first volume out by 2018.

Stephane,
Many thanks again for this fine series. As you can see, there is still considerable interest in your masterpiece. May I have your kind permission to make a limited distribution to the recent contributors to TOAW 4.
I have converted the TOAW3 .eqp files to TOAW4. The eqp. files seem to load OK, and even with the rudimentary PO control of ARVN/MACV, the first few scenarios run to completion without a hitch. I see no problem with the terrain. It is hard for me to evaluate the Events but there are several contributors with a higher security clearance than mine.
If you have any specific changes you would like, we would be happy to give it a go.

Naturally, all credit will be given to you.
Merci
RAK

Attachment (1)

Avatar image was taken in hex 87,159 Vol 11 of
Vietnam Combat Operations by Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat.

(in reply to Boonierat1972)
Post #: 33
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 7:17:06 PM   
r6kunz

Here is the reply I received from my email to Stéphane when I queried him a while back on what problems he had with Vietnam Combat Operations in TOAW IV.
Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT <stephane.moutin-luyat@wanadoo.fr>
Mon, Nov 20, 2017, 12:42 PM
to me

Map graphics mostly, new hill and mountain tiles have completely altered the way I drew the original map.

Envoyé depuis l'application Mail Orange

I do not think this is a problem that could not be overcome. Can the Classic TOAW III terrain tiles be placed in the Graphics Override folders for the VCO scenarios so that only those scenarios will have the classic map but not the other scenarios in the game?

< Message edited by r6kunz -- 2/10/2019 9:32:16 PM >

(in reply to Aetius_Varras)
Post #: 34
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 7:52:24 PM   
sPzAbt653

Hey Rob, good news - you can use the classic graphics the same way we could in versions earlier than IV. It was something they thankfully 'fixed' just before release.

Also, if you like the pre-IV BMP's like many of us, someone painstakingly converted them all to png's for use with IV. They can be found here, along with instructions for use [although as I said the way to use them hasn't changed from earlier version]:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378126

So I guess there is no reason to hold these scenarios back. Actually, I think the designer doesn't even have to do anything, the user's can add in whatever graphics they desire. [Wish the developers would do the same thing for the icon sheets].

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 35
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 9:22:43 PM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: sPzAbt653

Hey Rob, good news - you can use the classic graphics the same way we could in versions earlier than IV. It was something they thankfully 'fixed' just before release.

Also, if you like the pre-IV BMP's like many of us, someone painstakingly converted them all to png's for use with IV. They can be found here, along with instructions for use [although as I said the way to use them hasn't changed from earlier version]:
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4378126

So I guess there is no reason to hold these scenarios back. Actually, I think the designer doesn't even have to do anything, the user's can add in whatever graphics they desire. [Wish the developers would do the same thing for the icon sheets].

Hey, Steve, that did the trick!
Here is an image of the AO that my avatar was in...using Classic Terrain.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by r6kunz -- 2/10/2019 9:28:19 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 36
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 9:27:08 PM   
r6kunz

and here is an image of the same area in Vietnam Combat Ops in TOAW 4 terrain...

Any opinions on which is more suitable for Vietnam? Maybe we can get Stephane's opinion.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 37
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 9:47:46 PM   
BigDuke66

The first looks like the transition between the different terrains is better. On the lower these "sandy" parts look strange.
In the end the old terrain should be provide with a description for users how to use it, this way they can decide if to go with the old or the new terrain graphics.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 38
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/10/2019 9:47:52 PM   
Cabido

I like the TOAW IV version best, but I also like the yellowish (almost orange) tones near the villages, mixing with the rest, on the old version. They deliver this jungle like feeling (less well defined, more chaotic). Is this arid terrain? In the TOAW IV version picture, it looks almost like sand. I would just change the color tone for it.
I don't like the edgy curves for the roads, rails and rivers on the old version.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 39
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/11/2019 1:14:01 AM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cabido

I like the TOAW IV version best, but I also like the yellowish (almost orange) tones near the villages, mixing with the rest, on the old version. They deliver this jungle like feeling (less well defined, more chaotic). Is this arid terrain? In the TOAW IV version picture, it looks almost like sand. I would just change the color tone for it.
I don't like the edgy curves for the roads, rails, and rivers on the old version.

Some parts of the jungles were sandy. An Loc was terre rouge- red laterite planted with rubber plantations. I am not sure how to model that...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by r6kunz -- 2/11/2019 1:21:38 AM >

(in reply to Cabido)
Post #: 40
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/11/2019 1:23:23 AM   
r6kunz

quote:

ORIGINAL: r6kunz

error in posting image.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by r6kunz -- 2/11/2019 1:33:01 AM >

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 41
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/11/2019 9:28:33 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

Some parts of the jungles were sandy. An Loc was terre rouge- red laterite planted with rubber plantations.

Mmm, quite red! Wonder if the soil has a high iron content. Reminds me a bit of Georgia clay.

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 42
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/11/2019 10:13:33 PM   
r6kunz

Cathar, Indeed a high iron content gives the red color. Not suitable for use as iron ore, but in parts of Vietnam, it is used to fashion rock-hard bricks for a tradition homes.

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 43
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 3:27:26 AM   
r6kunz

Great news re TOAW IV and Vietnam Combat Operations! I reached out to Stéphane and received this reply:

Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Fri, Feb 15, 11:32 PM (6 days ago)
Hello Robert, Tried to send you a reply on my other mail address but it bounced back. You have my permission to reuse and alter the vco scenarios of course.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 44
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 10:16:27 AM   
larryfulkerson

Damn good news. Thanks.

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 45
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 1:42:40 PM   
r6kunz

Yes, Larry, good news indeed.
I am road testing them now. I had FedEx printing print off all of the Documentation $150 in a looseleaf binder. They look sharp and a lot easier to use the detailed OpOrders.
I just finished Vol 1. A draw, but very informative of 1965.

I will try to get thru the first three turns of all fourteen volumes.
I will then get zip file off to you.
cheers
Rob

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 46
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 3:32:11 PM   
Bamilus

Looking forward to this

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 47
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 7:18:29 PM   
Cabido

+1

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 48
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 2/22/2019 8:03:40 PM   
cathar1244

quote:

Great news re TOAW IV and Vietnam Combat Operations! I reached out to Stéphane and received this reply:

Stéphane Moutin-Luyat
Fri, Feb 15, 11:32 PM (6 days ago)
Hello Robert, Tried to send you a reply on my other mail address but it bounced back. You have my permission to reuse and alter the vco scenarios of course.

Very well liaised, RAK. And thanks to Stéphane as well.

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 49
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 3/14/2019 1:15:18 PM   
Bamilus

any updates on this?

Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 50
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 3/19/2019 12:54:01 AM   
r6kunz

Here is Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT Vietnam Combat Operations, Vol 1. I have played it through and I found no blitzes.
Let me know if there is any problem, and keep me posted.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Bamilus)
Post #: 51
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 4/28/2019 6:00:29 PM   
Plochan

Thank you.
This was one of main reasons for me to buy this game.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 52
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 4/29/2019 4:23:04 AM   
r6kunz

Thanks much for the feedback.
I found a couple of clitches- One minor with a major impact; After Volume 3, the ARVN Battations have a B-52 in their TOE! And cannot move, even when free to do so. I discovered in the New Equipment the US Advisor Team and the B-52G were in adjacent slots. So I transposed them and now the ARVN can move out with their advisor team.

A second glitch: in the last two Volumes that were completed (13 and 14, 1970): the equipment for the Cambodian units and some of the NVA supply bases were "Empty". I have not heard back from Stéphane, but have back engineered the units. I am currently playing the Vol 14, covering the incursion into Cambodia. It is probably the best in the series.

The research Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT has put into this series is just incredible. Perhaps on the scale of detail as FITE, but more playable because of the each volume has an endpoint. And can be played (only) US/RVN (player) vs NVA/VC(PO). Too bad he does not plan on completing it,

As a tip, each turn (roughly a month) has a list of the actual operations and objectives. Victory points are associated with these, and are required to have a chance at a US/RVN victory. So print off the Documents that include the Chronology with teh Operatins and Ojectives.

I hope to get this over to Larry Fulkerson to include inte Recent Scenarios shortly, and thence to the next Update.

(in reply to Plochan)
Post #: 53
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 4/29/2019 5:13:35 AM   
cathar1244

quote:

I discovered in the New Equipment the US Advisor Team and the B-52G were in adjacent slots. So I transposed them and now the ARVN can move out with their advisor team.

I wonder if any B-52 units now show flying advisor teams

Cheers

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 54
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/14/2019 9:27:42 PM   
comte

Any updates on these being released?

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to cathar1244)
Post #: 55
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/19/2019 2:09:34 AM   
Aetius_Varras

Would anyone happen to have a hi-res screen capture of the 4K map? Once again, the game says the map is too big to save.

< Message edited by Aetius_Varras -- 9/19/2019 3:29:50 PM >

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 56
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/23/2019 8:23:16 PM   
comte

quote:

Here is Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT Vietnam Combat Operations, Vol 1. I have played it through and I found no blitzes.
Let me know if there is any problem, and keep me posted.

Ok I gave this a go. The custom graphics are not working. Like for example MACV icon is not showing. Anybody know if I can fix this? I put it in the graphics override folder.

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 57
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/23/2019 10:54:22 PM   
BigDuke66

If it's the graphics override folder of the game, that one is not working.
For graphics to be used put it in the graphics override folder under the Users path of the C drive.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 58
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 2:56:58 AM   
r6kunz

I created a Scenario folder, Vietnam Combat Operations, in C:/ Program Files(x86)---> Matrix Games ---> Operational Art of War IV---> Scenarios ---> Vietnam Combat Operations.

I then went to Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT aka Boonierat website:

https://sites.google.com/site/vietnamcombatoperations/Home

Then download the scenario(s) you want (the small blue down arrow on the bottom right), and unzipped the scenario into your new VCO folder. Open and save (to convert to TOAW IV.

It has been some time since I did this, but I believe all of the components of the scenario will be in that folder. Any problems, I bet '66 can help us out.

This will need to be done for each of the fourteen scenarios. I will see if Larry Fulkerson can put this folder into one download. I will also see if Bob Cross can incorporate this folder in the next TOAW update now Stéphane has released it. (thanks again, Stéphane, if you are out there.)

I understand Stéphane does not plan any additional scenario past fourteen July 1970.

(in reply to BigDuke66)
Post #: 59
RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update - 9/24/2019 3:12:17 AM   
r6kunz

Greetings,
While research the web for Stéphane MOUTIN LUYAT website, above, I came across this interesting article that me anxious to look at this again.

https://ettubluto.wordpress.com/2019/02/01/whereer-we-go-they-dread-the-name-of-garryowen/#comments

This might be a place to mention Boonierat's very unique addtion to the wargame genre'. He provided a very in depth manual that includes a week-by-week outline of the war, and the operations (think Operation Cedar Falls, etc.) and Missions (establish CIDG camp 25,47). Each of these are awarded VP, in addition to the usual VP for towns and destroyed units.

(in reply to r6kunz)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> RE: Vietnam Combat Operations update Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI