Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/18/2019 6:53:57 PM   
caslug

I just got the game and love it. But in all my play thru my HQ keeps getting hit by enemy artillery about 30-60 minutes into the battle. I know the manual recommends you move them around. Which I try to do. So I have a few questions if someone can advise me.

1) Is there a way we know the amount of comm traffic a particular HQ is generating? On the PLAYER tab it shows radio comm/hr but is it total or for JUST the main HQ? Is there way to know that if your own side HQ is generate high level of comm traffic?

2) Follow up to #1, I notice my radio/hr traffic value goes up EVEN on turns I didn't do alot of orders. I hit the NEXT TURN button and I still would see the Radio/hr traffic value go up. I thought if I don't issue lots of order this turn, then the HQ would be safe.

3) So I tried to use WAY POINTS to allow them to sit&scoot. The HQ would stay in one location with a waypoint setup w/ time delay(30-60 mins). Then when I think it's time to move, I edit the delay to ZERO to have it move immediately. This kinda of worked, until I ran out of the 3rd way point an have to create a NEW order. Then I created new order w/ waypoints, during the order delay HQ got hit(understandable) then the HQ moved 2 hex away, but got hit AGAIN after it moved. This was int he same 13-20 minutes cycle. Are the enemy artillery able to FOLLOW and HQ on the move?

4) Is there any advice on how to keep your higher level HQ alive for the whole game? I notice the computer doesn't seem to target Co level HQ as much or all. I always my Regt/Brig/Div HQ that get hammered.

Post #: 1
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/19/2019 3:22:51 AM   
IronMikeGolf

1. Any sort of report that is made (contact, spotting, kills claimed, losses, etc) generates radio traffic that can lead to intercept and a SIGINT spotting. We only track the "highest" level of spotting, so a unit already spotted visually is not checked for SIGINT, since a visual spotting is more precise than a SIGINT cut. These are tagged to the reporting unit.

2. Orders also generate radio events. All Orders radio traffic is tagged to the HiHQ. Orders issued during pre-game setup or on the turn of arrival for a reinforcement unit are not counted as distributed by radio.

3. Radio traffic continues even when you issue no orders due to reporting by subordinate units.

4. The game checks for SIGINT detection for each order issued . And with each order given (edit: since the previous orders phase), the chance of detection at that point increases. So, you issue lots of orders, there's lots of die rolling, with the odds getting slightly worse for you with each die roll. The main contributor to being detected by SIGINT is the level of EW burden.

5. HQ survivability: Yes, keep it moving. You want to set up a rhythm of alternating HQ move orders and subordinate unit orders. By this I mean, you don't want to be giving out a slew or orders to line units and arty barrage orders when your HQ is sitting still and also order the HQ to move at the same time. That's inviting an arty strike during command delay, as you've seen. I plot long moves (back and forth, too) for my HQs. I check the last waypoint time and make sure it extends past the next estimated command cycle time. If it doesn't, then what I do depends on if I give few or many orders. If few orders, then I'll issue a new move order. If many (10+), then I'll move the waypoint so the HQ will stay moving the whole turn.

The above doesn't guarantee you HQ won't take arty or rocket fire, but it will mitigate it. This is an interesting read.

< Message edited by IronMikeGolf -- 9/19/2019 5:19:35 PM >

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to caslug)
Post #: 2
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/19/2019 7:17:41 PM   
caslug

Thanks IronMikeGolf for the detail explanation, it's goes a long way in explaining signal intercept and it's impact. I'll go and modify my tactics based on your advice.

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 3
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/20/2019 1:14:59 AM   
IronMikeGolf

Happy to help, caslug!

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to caslug)
Post #: 4
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/20/2019 7:15:43 AM   
StuccoFresco

Also, AI seems quite good at HQ sniping.

I mainly play WP so I have fewer command cycles and can't really avoid giving big bulks of orders when I have the possibility. Sacrifices must be made.

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 5
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/20/2019 3:26:37 PM   
rsallen64

I routinely move my HQs every three turns or so regardless of what they do or what is done in a turn. I rarely have them get slammed as a result.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to StuccoFresco)
Post #: 6
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/20/2019 5:39:28 PM   
caslug

quote:

ORIGINAL: rsallen64

I routinely move my HQs every three turns or so regardless of what they do or what is done in a turn. I rarely have them get slammed as a result.

I originally tried that, but I guess I timed it wrong. On turn 1 leave the HQ till turn 2 or 3, then put a move order in, but with the delay it could take 30-60 minutes before the HQ moves. So the HQ sat on the original position for 90-120 minutes, then about 1 or 2 turns before they are schedule to move they get plastered by artillery, for 2 or 3 turn cycle.

What was even MORE frustrating was the HQ when the HQ finally moved to the 1st waypoint, the barrage FOLLOWS it to the it's NEW position. Even when I moved to the 2nd position, I've seen the barrage follow it.

I get it, that if it moves to a new position, sits there for a turn or two, it might get plaster again. But going from position 1, turn 5, to position 2, turn 6 and get hit at position 2 on turn 6 is frustrating to say the least.

On the other hand, my tracked artillery does an excellent job of fire/scoot. Where I see the enemy barrage hit the old position all the time. But with HQ moves, it seems the enemy managed to find out the new position on the same turn cycle.

(in reply to rsallen64)
Post #: 7
RE: Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up - 9/20/2019 5:45:06 PM   
CapnDarwin

If a barrage is tracking the target, someone has eyes on it. Recon unit hiding somewhere.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to caslug)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Question on managing HQ - not getting blown up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI