Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

When do you Shock Attack?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> When do you Shock Attack? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
When do you Shock Attack? - 9/23/2019 5:33:56 PM   
Gridley380

In my current game I've been forcing myself to pay more attention to large-scale ground combat.

This, in turn, has me reconsidering shock attacks and when to use them. In general I've been conservative in my past games, shock attacking only when I believe I have a vastly superior force and want to take a base quickly, and of course when the game engine forces me (parashock, etc.).

So, how do you decide to shock vs. deliberate attack when setting ground units?
Post #: 1
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/23/2019 8:20:19 PM   
pontiouspilot

It sounds to me like you are basically using it correctly. My view is that you should deploy it cautiously because it can lead to a hell of a bloody nose if you get too anxious. You will use it when you are SURE that a difficult spot is next to collapse or if you are SURE the spot is very weakly defended.

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 2
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/23/2019 9:23:44 PM   
Chickenboy

Also, avoid shock attacking hexes containing important HI, LI, Oil, Refinery, etc. capabilities that you desire. IIRC, these are more likely to be damaged during shock attacks than deliberate ones.

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 3
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/23/2019 11:54:57 PM   
BBfanboy

A good indicator of when the enemy is approaching collapse is when the combat disablements start to become an increasing number of combat squads destroyed. This crossover seems to happen when 50% of the enemy's squads are already disabled so the continuing attacks add enough damage to eliminate a few more each turn.

You need to factor in your own disablements and morale/fatigue.
And if the enemy is out of supply, his disablements will recover very slowly so your troops can rest up before trying a shock attack.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 4
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/24/2019 12:44:48 PM   
Gridley380

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

You need to factor in your own disablements and morale/fatigue.

What level of disablement/fatigue/morale do you consider 'too low' to shock attack?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/24/2019 1:36:15 PM   
HansBolter

Since shock attacks provide the defender with a preliminary round of fire, the results of which are applied before the attackers get to fire, unlike a deliberate attack where both sides fire simultaneously, its best to save your shock attacks until you have beaten down the defenders and are sure they have more disabled, than able squads.

Never, ever, never shock attack a well defended base on the first attack.

I typically cycle attacks when disruption has dropped to low teens and fatigue to low 20s. In malaria zones fatigue in high 20s, cause it will never get lower.
Disruption under ten is better, but sometimes you can't afford to wait that long.
This is my formula for any either deliberate or shock attacks.

Hans

(in reply to Gridley380)
Post #: 6
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/25/2019 11:41:47 AM   
Ian R

Pure armour units (allied) should always shock attack.

You can make a "mixed device" armoured/tank brigade pure by stockpiling any squad devices it is losing in combat (or use an APD/airlift to remove them as a splinter, per Ranger Joe).

Armoured units cause a lot of casualties and will also get you fort level reductions.

US tank battalions are just big enough to survive 2-3 rounds of shock attacks before they need a rest. Australian regiments are similar, especially the pure Matilda ones.

Note: This advice does not include the many UK/Indian armoured car units. They are too fragile, and will be destroyed by sustained shock combat.

I do not play the Japanese, so have no advice there, but late war allied infantry have good anti-armour values and I suspect this approach would not necessarily be to the advantage of the IJA.

< Message edited by Ian R -- 9/25/2019 11:44:58 AM >

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 7
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 9/25/2019 12:54:39 PM   
BBfanboy

I agree on Hans' advice about fatigue and disruption levels and Ian R's advice about armoured cars. The armoured cars are useful for pursuit (Reserve-pursuit) mode.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 8
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/5/2019 5:12:26 AM   
Radagy

So here comes another question: when do you reserve-pursuit?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 9
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/5/2019 12:43:45 PM   
ITAKLinus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Radagy

Personally, when I am facing a weakened enemy and I just want to stalk him in his retreating hex as soon as possible.

For example, I was last turn 1 hex EST of Kweilin. I knew those guys were weak. I shocked with 2 parts of a division and the third one was in pursuit so that next turn the piece will be in Kweilin and capture it earlier than otherwise.

Individually that's my general use of the pursuit. Not much to be honest.

Francesco

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 10
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/5/2019 4:13:15 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

When you have enough power that you are sure your attack will defeat the enemy and force retreat, and you have a unit or two that aren't needed to assure victory but can increase enemy casualties during the retreat. I look at my lowest AV units and select one or two that have low fatigue, high morale, good movement rates and/or high experience. Recce units with vehicles like the Humber and Tank Battalions with the Stuart tank are excellent for this.

The high movement rate generally ensures they will keep up with the enemy troops and arrive in the next hex with them. Next turn, if there are only those beat-up units in the hex the Recce Unit can attack again and inflict still more casualties and prevent any enemy recover of disabled squads.

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 11
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/6/2019 5:09:49 AM   
Radagy

Ok, thanks, that’s more or less what I thought.
And what about reserve mode? Do you use reserves? I can’t figure the proper way to use them..

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/6/2019 6:50:04 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Ok, thanks, that’s more or less what I thought.
And what about reserve mode? Do you use reserves? I can’t figure the proper way to use them..

The Reserve (no pursuit) mode is for keeping troops out of combat unless the enemy threatens to defeat the rest of your forces in the hex. This is usually used to let heavily fatigued or disrupted units rest a bit while other units do the fighting. You can't use Rest mode while the enemy is in the same hex so Reserve (NP) is the next best thing.

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 13
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/6/2019 6:53:56 AM   
Radagy

Ah ok, on the manual it was not so clear. Now I get it, thanks.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: When do you Shock Attack? - 11/6/2019 8:49:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

Ah ok, on the manual it was not so clear. Now I get it, thanks.

Reserve was a single version when the game came out. Later patches added the Reserve (Pursuit) mode so the original mode was called Reserve (No Pursuit). The manual was never updated on that.

(in reply to Radagy)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> When do you Shock Attack? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI