Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

WITPAE and the future

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITPAE and the future Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 3:56:09 AM   
T Rav

quote:

ORIGINAL: T Rav

Next Folks (correctly redirected by Warspite),

I've been out for a while playing the game, but have been watching the threads and AARs. I'm looking to start another AI game again and love all the new stuff that's been done by folks like Halsey and others. That said, will there be another WITPAE 2.0 in the nest year or so, (I can wait a bit) or should I go with the current one and add the mods?

If it is best to start now, What are the best mods for immersive stuff, ease of use and staying historical?

Thanks for your time,
T Rav
Post #: 1
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 4:12:21 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

I've been out for a while playing the game, but have been watching the threads and AARs. I'm looking to start another AI game again and love all the new stuff that's been done by folks like Halsey and others. That said, will there be another WITPAE 2.0 in the nest year or so, (I can wait a bit) or should I go with the current one and add the mods?

If it is best to start now, What are the best mods for immersive stuff, ease of use and staying historical?

Thanks for your time,
T Rav

There have been many and recent, exhaustive discussions of this, the last one ending only a couple of months ago. Scan a few pages back on the forum threads to find one.
The conclusion - there is no possibility of a revamp of the game because the game engine is too old (thus all the switches to make it work with modern hardware and OSs). There is no possibility of a complete re-programming of the game engine and rebuilding the game from scratch (keeping only the research reflected in the database) because there is not a big enough market to cover the millions it would cost to re-do the game. And then there are copywrite issues and contracts for distribution of the current game ...

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 2
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 5:01:25 AM   
T Rav

I appreciate the words, but you missed the second half of the question. standing by to be scathed.

T Rav

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 7:18:12 AM   
Schorsch

the second half of your question cant be answered by anyone but yourself.

if you want to play with mods or not you have to decide for yourself, because its personal preference in the end

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 4
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 12:26:21 PM   
jagsdomain

quote:

quote:

Thanks for your time,
T Rav

Just go for it

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 5
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 2:31:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

I appreciate the words, but you missed the second half of the question. standing by to be scathed.

T Rav

I did not address the second half of your post because I play stock scenarios, not the mods, so I have no experience with those.
If you are asking what are all the mods, I think someone did a fairly extensive list. It might be stickied in the main forum or the War Room forum. I will look around a bit.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to T Rav)
Post #: 6
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 2:46:31 PM   
Ian R

Dear TRav,

You have two options iffun you want a new improved game.

Option 1:- work within the very detailed and expandable game/scenario engine we have to tweak and aim devices, aircraft, ships, to make them work better within the confines of the exe routines we have.

Option 2 - Learn to write whatever language the exe is in (sincere apologies if you are ahead of me on this) and ask Matrix very, very nicely to give you confidential source code access to write a new game. Repeat for about the next 15 years until you get somewhere.

AS to option 2, there are posters here who write it off without consideration, but as a lawyer of 33 years experience I can assure you that the oft quoted barriers to this are not insurmountable, and the $ value of the magic number diminishes each passing day.

So if you are (a) retired & time enabled (b) really smart & (c) $ liquid, you should have a crack at it.

Here endeth the lessen.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 2:53:58 PM   
BBfanboy

Ok, the list was logically placed - in the stickied areas of the Mods Forum.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3088504

I don't know if the list includes the latest mods and tweaks.

My impression of mods is that many try to give the IJ player additional assets so they have a better chance to win. This is not historical.
Other mods reduce the amount that Allied ships can carry to make logistics harder for them. The claim is that this is more historical.

I doubt any of the Grand Campaign mods can be considered "simple" because this is one of the worlds most complex wargames. If you meant simple to install the mod, I think most of them just require making a new install of the game and following the instructions to convert it to the mod.

In the stock scenarios, I very much like the Philippine Sea/Marianas scenario. It gives you a chance to play with LBA, Carrier defence and offence, surface combat, ASW, amphibious invasions, and limited land combat.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 2:56:34 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

Dear TRav,

You have two options iffun you want a new improved game.

Option 1:- work within the very detailed and expandable game/scenario engine we have to tweak and aim devices, aircraft, ships, to make them work better within the confines of the exe routines we have.

Option 2 - Learn to write whatever language the exe is in (sincere apologies if you are ahead of me on this) and ask Matrix very, very nicely to give you confidential source code access to write a new game. Repeat for about the next 15 years until you get somewhere.

AS to option 2, there are posters here who write it off without consideration, but as a lawyer of 33 years experience I can assure you that the oft quoted barriers to this are not insurmountable, and the $ value of the magic number diminishes each passing day.

So if you are (a) retired & time enabled (b) really smart & (c) $ liquid, you should have a crack at it.

Here endeth the lessen.

The lawyer needs a lesson in the difference between lesson and lessen!
(Yes, I know - everyone makes typos!)

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 9
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/27/2019 3:06:23 PM   
Ian R

Oopsi

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/28/2019 8:52:27 AM   
fcooke

But lawyers know that typos can be very, very expensive.....

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 11
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/28/2019 11:47:49 AM   
RichardAckermann

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
.... There is no possibility of a complete re-programming of the game engine and rebuilding the game from scratch (keeping only the research reflected in the database) because there is not a big enough market to cover the millions it would cost to re-do the game. And then there are copywrite issues and contracts for distribution of the current game ...

I completely disagree.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: WITPAE and the future - 9/28/2019 4:19:05 PM   
T Rav

BB, et al,

That Stickied list was what I was looking for.

Thank you,

T Rav

(in reply to RichardAckermann)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> WITPAE and the future Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI