Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Digital EIA maps

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Digital EIA maps Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Digital EIA maps - 7/4/2003 5:15:08 AM   
soapyfrog

A long while ago there was a fellow working on a PBEM client for EiA which would be able to rules arbitration and such. Anyway he closed that prject down a long while ago and his website has disappeared, but before he closed up shop he sent me the excellent map in BMP format that he was going to use.

Anyway long story short, I have since started using that very map to post the gamestate of our local FTF game. Since it is his map I'd like to at least give him credit for using it but I can't for the life of me remember his name!!!

Does anyone remember the guy, the website, the project I am speaking of? Probably if you just mentioned his name it would jog my tired old memory.

ON A RELATED NOTE: Would it be legal to post images of the map and counters on the web? If I understand correctly as long as it is not for profit it falls under fair use, does it not?
Post #: 1
- 7/4/2003 8:11:58 PM   
Treasure

Hi,
There have been a few efforts to put EiA on the computer in one form or another. I know that Kevan Booker was working on one that he gave up on when this project got going. There is also another one I saw;[URL=http://www.cellfish.se/SEiA/]SEiA[/URL] .

I think the map he is using is one that I did several years ago. I'm not too sure regarding the legality regarding maps and counters, which is in part, the reason for motivating me to make some changes to them in EiH :)

A lot of people playing PBEM EiA use Cyberboard with the EiA gamebox. This contains the map and counters, and might be handy for you in updating the map in your ftf game. It would certainly be easier than using Photoshop or something similar to place the counters.
Mt

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 2
- 7/4/2003 8:28:41 PM   
soapyfrog

Michael Treasure: I had no idea you were in Montreal! By some coincidence that is where I live too (in NDG in point of fact) ;)

Do you play FTF?

I have seen the cyberboard gamebox sets for EiA but I do prefer to manipulate my "board" in photoshop. The results can be seen here: [URL=http://www.soapyfrog.net]www.soapyfrog.net[/URL]

It takes me about 30-45 mins after each session to update the online maps, but I find the effect well worth it.

BTW I love the efforts you have made with EiH, I am rules tinkerer myself, so I can really appreciate it. There are those who say "whats the point" or "too hard!" but to me it just screams "fun!" :D

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 3
- 7/4/2003 8:40:12 PM   
Treasure

I would love a chance to play ftf again. It has been a few years, and I've had to make due with pbem.
Sounds like we are in the same neighbourhood, I'm on the N edge of Westmount, near the corner of Victoria and Cote St. Luc.
Send me a message at [email]treasure@tctv.ne.jp[/email]
Mt

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 4
soapyfrog.et - 7/4/2003 9:55:22 PM   
YohanTM2

Soapy,

Excellent maps and updates. Too bad I live near Toronto a ftf game would be assume.

Yohan

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 5
- 7/5/2003 2:58:06 AM   
John Umber

[B]A little far away[/B]

I would also lik to play with you in Montreal, but is a little far away from Sweden...

Good luck

John Umber

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 6
- 7/5/2003 10:33:07 PM   
Pippin

"If I understand correctly as long as it is not for profit it falls under fair use, does it not?"

This fair use law is new to me. I do hope your right but, something tells me different.

Nelson stood on deck and observed as the last of the Spanish fleets sank below the waves…

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 7
- 7/6/2003 11:54:32 PM   
John Umber

[B]User rights[/B]

It is different rules in different countries. Normaly the person/company owning the publicity rights must be asked. Sharing those copies and using those copies are another matter. The question here could also be EIA, Avalon Hill? Those digital maps are basicly copies of the EIA map and should be the concern of the EIA rights holder... That comany didn't exist for a while, does that mean Matrix is holding the right to those maps?

My head start to wonder...

???

John Umber

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 8
- 7/7/2003 12:03:30 AM   
soapyfrog

Legal rights have reverted to ADG (Australian Deisgn Group) as they are the ones who sold the game to Avalon Hill in the first place.

Since lots of people have posted EiA maps and such on the web I am not going to worry about it too much!

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 9
- 7/7/2003 10:26:22 PM   
Reknoy

Soapy:

Not sure if you ever got your answer:

Dispatches;

Joey Lam;

EIA/PC (the placeholder title he used).

I think he tried to contact Avalon Hill but not sure what happened. He hosted my game (Malmo) for a while. Pretty cool cat.

The screenshots were AWESOME. I always wanted to see the whole map.

Was that it?

Reknoy

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 10
- 7/7/2003 10:43:29 PM   
soapyfrog

Joey Lam!! That's him!!! Cool thanks Reknoy.

That's the whole map, yup! The counters I made myself however.

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 11
- 7/7/2003 11:10:41 PM   
Reknoy

NP - we corresponded for a while and then I think he was dragged on to other (more profitable, likely) ventures.

I'll have to spend some time this evening perusing your site, Soapy. Looks cool.

Reknoy

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 12
- 7/7/2003 11:15:51 PM   
Reknoy

Reading this makes me think of some of the EiA pioneers on the Web:

Glamkowski; Michael Treasure (I think I've seen both of these guys on this Forum); Joey Lam; and of course, who could forget, the Unofficial Empires in Arms Home Page, by Chris Tate. :)

I hope these people know about this and can either (a) contribute and/or (b) benefit from it.

Cheers!

Reknoy

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 13
- 7/9/2003 8:33:35 AM   
J Hutton

Soapyfrog, your webpage and campaign description rocks. What a wonderfully dynamic series of opening moves. The poor old British.

Check out another long-running game that I have just recently got back into. There are some "stack wars" going on in central Europe, with rather unpleasant possible consequences for the PR-AU-GB-TU allies generally fighting SP-RU-FR (a very long standing war). There is no history narrative, but the PP charts go back to the beginning of the game and you can trace the history from there.

http://malta.solow.org/

John

(in reply to soapyfrog)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Digital EIA maps Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI