Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/12/2019 4:34:08 AM   
DonCzirr

Hello Fury Guys,

Will Balkan Wars, Franco Prussian War etc be available with the initial release?

Or perhaps as DLC later?

I would be happy to purchase as DLC - especially if you guys could enhance with some new material - such as Russian Revolution - Red vs White (with Western Allies ...)

Man schlägt jemanden mit der Faust und nicht mit gespreizten Fingern !

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100032812112896
Post #: 1
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/12/2019 4:34:28 PM   
BillRunacre

Hi Don

It's good to see your interest in other wars and periods, what will be interesting and useful for us to know is what demand there is for campaigns on these periods from others too.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 2
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/12/2019 4:44:33 PM   
DonCzirr

Hey Bill,

That's always an interesting question with war games.

And especially with WWI being a niche category within a niche hobby =)

It seems like AGEOD did pretty well with their (Russian) Revolution Under Siege coverage - so that may be a good indicator.

I hope there are other folks out there like me who enjoy both Fury and AGEOD titles to cover the same grand strategic subject matter - but in totally different ways.

As far as the Balkan War and Franco Prussian - I think you guys are the only ones that covered that on a strategic level game? (There are battles in TOAW etc - but they are operational or below)

Were they well received when published for the SC2 engine ?

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 7/12/2019 4:45:16 PM >

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 3
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/13/2019 10:15:59 PM   
gamer78

Russian Civil War and Balkan Wars would be great with DLC. Although 1st Balkan War was disaster for Ottoman, hard to put into pbem.
East Africa 1916 campaign was also good. SC Breakthrough still on my hard drive.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 4
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/14/2019 6:51:11 PM   
Mysterian

I'd be interested in having the Balkan Wars and Franco-Prussian war included.

(in reply to gamer78)
Post #: 5
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/14/2019 8:58:05 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mysterian

I'd be interested in having the Balkan Wars and Franco-Prussian war included.

+1 Those wars don't get enough attention.

(in reply to Mysterian)
Post #: 6
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/15/2019 7:26:56 PM   
Simulacra53

+ Franco-Prussian and Russian Civil Wars.
It is Europe, else I’d ask for the Russo-Japanese War as well.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 7
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/17/2019 10:19:13 PM   
sol_invictus

Another vote for Franco-Prussian War!

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

(in reply to Simulacra53)
Post #: 8
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/24/2019 8:50:39 PM   
Hanal

Definitely another vote for the Russian Civil War....

(in reply to sol_invictus)
Post #: 9
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/27/2019 12:22:19 AM   
CSSS

The Japanese Wars of expansion, 1st and second Sino-Japanese wars and the Russo Japanese war. The American Civil war, The Mexican American war. You could do a whole series from 1870 till 1914? Or an sandbox Ancients game?

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 10
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/27/2019 8:09:48 PM   
xwormwood

I would prefer fresh scenarios, and even better a continous game from WW1 to WW2, maybe even into WW3 ("legacy game").

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to CSSS)
Post #: 11
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/28/2019 1:23:01 AM   
DonCzirr

Well - with any luck, they'll continue to roll out similarly themed content corresponding to the old SC2 catalog but put in some new battles / operations.

In this case - World War I era - I think everything from Crimea to Russian Revolution could make sense for a marketable DLC bundle.

WW3 / PACT vs NATO etc - would eventually be more suitable for a next gen AOC / AOD or Weapons and Warfare style release IMO (and I would buy all of that as well)

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 12
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 7/29/2019 7:42:55 PM   
TripleCP

I would definitely enjoy Franco-Prussian and Balkan Wars scenarios, but the Russian Civil War and it related conflicts (Finnish Civil War, Soviet-Polish War, etc.) would be the top priority for me.

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 13
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 9/29/2019 8:20:54 PM   
PanzerCro

My vote for Franco-Prussian war.

Various Ottoman wars would be cool as well.

(in reply to TripleCP)
Post #: 14
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/1/2019 7:46:09 PM   
Hanal

The Russian Civil War would be great..it has already been designed for the earlier incarnation of SCWWI so the OOB legwork has already been completed.

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 15
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/2/2019 8:02:41 PM   
xwormwood

The Seven Years' War (aka the true first World War), please!

< Message edited by xwormwood -- 10/2/2019 8:03:20 PM >

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to Hanal)
Post #: 16
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/2/2019 9:09:05 PM   
1775Cerberus

It would be interesting to see if you could make some of the 7YW period features work in the engine. Army sizes, supply, diplomacy, supply, winter quarters, supply. Definitely a solid idea there.

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 17
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/2/2019 10:34:36 PM   
DonCzirr

I wonder if Bill and Hubert will (themselves) will go back that far at some point?

I seem to recall some interview where (I think Bill) said that Napoleonics and earlier might be tough to scale with the existing system ...

I know however that there are a couple of user mods brewing (one for SC2 and one for SC3) for Civil War and Napoleonics respectively.

Perhaps our Fury Friends could chime in and mention if they have given earlier periods more consideration for official SC releases ?

(in reply to 1775Cerberus)
Post #: 18
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/2/2019 11:57:48 PM   
BiteNibbleChomp

quote:

ORIGINAL: DonCzirr
I know however that there are a couple of user mods brewing (one for SC2 and one for SC3) for Civil War and Napoleonics respectively.

Civil War (SC2) has been out for a while: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4504986

quote:

ORIGINAL: 1775Cerberus
It would be interesting to see if you could make some of the 7YW period features work in the engine. Army sizes, supply, diplomacy, supply, winter quarters, supply. Definitely a solid idea there.

Army sizes could be handled easily enough, just lower the build limits so that the maximum a country is allowed is like 8 corps' worth or something instead of 50 or so. Could also make units individually more expensive (without also increasing per-turn MPP income) so that nations can't afford to build huge armies.

The idea of winter quarters could be done in theory - imagine a giant "Russian winter" event that crushes morale that fires all across Europe (say -10 morale for all units), but then put a positive one around each city (so if a unit is within 1 tile of say Berlin, it gets +10 morale). Results in units next to cities being OK, but ones out in the field getting crippled from freezing to death. I just don't see the AI actually moving its units to the cities to protect them (it tends to get distracted whenever it sees player units nearby).

Honestly the biggest issue with 7 years war is balance - In Europe it is basically Prussia vs literally everyone. And Prussia's not even that big. If France and Austria alone are allowed to have roughly their historical armies, any sensible player is going to join the two and crush Prussia with them, most likely very quickly too. They're not going to be doing things like camp the entire French army on the coast hoping to invade England. And of course, a game about the 7 years war needs some chance of actually lasting for close to 7 years.

- BNC

(in reply to DonCzirr)
Post #: 19
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/3/2019 3:48:16 PM   
PanzerCro

Vietnam War would also be nice addition...with huge vietnam map and instead of one unit represents army it would represent platoon or squadron.

(in reply to BiteNibbleChomp)
Post #: 20
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/3/2019 3:58:03 PM   
The Land

To my mind the Strategic Command system works well for industrial-era conflicts with armies of millions fighting over fronts hundreds of miles long, over a duration long enough for industrial production and research to be significant.

The Franco-Prussian war and the US Civil War sort of meet these criteria (though Franco-Prussian is very short and restricted in scope, while the US Civil War runs the risk of one-counter armies encountering other one-counter armies. Earlier conflicts would probably not, in my view.

(in reply to PanzerCro)
Post #: 21
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/24/2019 9:52:18 PM   
operating

Yes, a Franco-Prussian campaign would be my first choice for alternate scenario, Balkan Wars would be a second. Crimea would be a third. I prefer that units would be divisions or less, especially with the Balkans...

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 22
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/25/2019 1:06:08 AM   
Sugar

I guess there's no real need for balancing shorter wars for PbEMs, I played an still play Breakthrough, especially East-Africa on german, Franco-Prussian-War on french side and the Russian Civil War.

What I`d like to see are more options regarding the difficulty settings, especially the combination of more income for the AI and scouting range, it screws naval combat completely imho. Would be nice to treat both differently.

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 23
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/25/2019 12:22:32 PM   
DonCzirr

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sugar

I guess there's no real need for balancing shorter wars for PbEMs, I played an still play Breakthrough, especially East-Africa on german, Franco-Prussian-War on french side and the Russian Civil War.

What I`d like to see are more options regarding the difficulty settings, especially the combination of more income for the AI and scouting range, it screws naval combat completely imho. Would be nice to treat both differently.

+1 on that.

Also - the granularity of AI strength in the WW2 Grand Strategy game "Time of Fury" was very nice.

It gave the player the opportunity to tweak AI control and difficulty for every nation (major and minor) in the scenario / campaign.

That was a welcomed feature.

Edit : I realize such things are out of scope for the current release since it will (hopefully) be out very soon. These items however would be great to see in addition to some of the DLC ideas already mentioned in this sub-forum.

< Message edited by DonCzirr -- 10/25/2019 12:26:49 PM >

(in reply to Sugar)
Post #: 24
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/25/2019 12:30:23 PM   
stockwellpete

I would be interested in everything between 1850 and 1950, most especially the Russian and Spanish Civil Wars. The wars of German Unification (including Denmark, Austria and France), the Boer War and the Balkans prior to 1914 would also get my money.

Post #: 25
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/26/2019 9:09:44 AM   
BillRunacre

Just want to say thanks for all the thoughts so far, it's an interesting thread.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to stockwellpete)
Post #: 26
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 10/30/2019 4:09:29 PM   
Gunja

I don't know, if it would be better to open a new thread, but I felt that my wish, which I have for a long time now, is somehow connected, so here it goes:
I would love to see not only in the upcoming SC WWI, but also in EAW and WAW a couple of scenarios we had in the older versions of the game. By this I mean the other regions/wars as mentioned in this thread, but also smaller or more limited scenarios on an operational scale (Barbarossa as the biggest one, Operation Torch, the invasion of Normandy...) and what if scenarios like in Patton drives east. While the new versions of the game are obviously better than the older ones, there a two reasons, why I return to the old ones from time to time:
First, the variety of scenarios is in itself a huge plus. I even started SC Weapons and Warfare a while ago, just to play the Spanish Civil War scenario.
Seecond, the limited scale of the games and especially of the scenarios. It is sometimes just fun, to play a game for an evening or two and (almost) finishing it.

Actually in my opinion a combination of these advantages with the new engine and mechanics would be great.

Post #: 27
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/2/2019 4:23:18 PM   
DonCzirr

I get the feeling that if the SC3 releases continue to well, we may see (eventually) all the packages from the SC2 catalog.

I hope that is true.

I really enjoyed the smaller / limited scope operations in SC2 (W & W, AOC, Pacific Theater etc).

With the SC3 engine and perhaps inclusion of new naval mods - they would be truly exciting.

(in reply to Gunja)
Post #: 28
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/8/2019 4:44:49 PM   
FOARP

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Land

To my mind the Strategic Command system works well for industrial-era conflicts with armies of millions fighting over fronts hundreds of miles long, over a duration long enough for industrial production and research to be significant.

The Franco-Prussian war and the US Civil War sort of meet these criteria (though Franco-Prussian is very short and restricted in scope, while the US Civil War runs the risk of one-counter armies encountering other one-counter armies. Earlier conflicts would probably not, in my view.

This. The entire point of this game-series is large-scale industrial warfare. The ACW and Franco-Prussian wars involved industrial production but the battles were so much smaller in terms of scale (the union lines at Gettysburg were ~5 miles long, the French lines at Sedan not much longer). Any other earlier war that might be mentioned will be even less relevant to this game engine.

< Message edited by FOARP -- 11/8/2019 6:56:34 PM >

(in reply to The Land)
Post #: 29
RE: Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? - 11/8/2019 5:54:24 PM   
Sugar

While I agree in general to the abilities of the game engine, the named scenarios are designed nevertheless very nicely to fit the requirements. Personally I prefer the SCWW1 Breakthrough scenario of the Russian Civil War over the AGEOD-title, allthough the entire game is based on this conflict.

No reason why this shouldn`t be the case in the new SCWW1 imho. And btw, it shows perfectly the different approach of the developers to their product. The conclusion after playing most of the AGEOD-titles is the impression that your getting immature products for high prices and getting left alone, while Bill and Hubert are caring for their children even years after release.

They should both get the order of the "Hero of the Grand-Strategy-Community mit Eichenlaub, Schwertern und Brillianten"!

(in reply to FOARP)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Balkan Wars / Franco Prussian etc ? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI