Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Skirmish/random battle mode?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Skirmish/random battle mode? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 7:09:51 PM   
Banquet

Hi,

Great to see this released. I'm tempted to get it but, as I haven't really been following development closely, would be grateful if someone could confirm if The Bloody First has any kind of skirmish or random battle generator? Also, is the campaign a series of linked scenarios or is there a strategic map mode which ensures each battle is potentially different? Thanks :)
Post #: 1
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 7:26:41 PM   
SteveMcClaire

There isn't a randomly generated battle mode, but there is a scenario editor that allows you to create your own custom battles and you can also play any of the battles in the campaign as one-off fights. A map editor will be released (it needs some polish) that will allow you to create custom maps as well.

The campaign system follows a US rifle company through Tunisia, Sicily, and Normandy. It is a branching series of battles rather than moving multiple divisions around on a map.

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 2
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 7:40:07 PM   
Banquet

Thanks Steve. I take it there's no way to surprise yourself with the scenario editor insofar as you'll know what forces you've placed where?

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 3
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 8:09:25 PM   
SteveMcClaire

True, though you can get scenario files created by other players. They are text files kept in the folder Documents\My Games\CloseCombatTheBloodyFirst\Scenarios\.

Steve

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 4
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 8:17:02 PM   
MikeGER

Banquet, there is surprise in a self created scenario.

you provide only a pool of units and the AI picks, also you can grant the AI a rather large area for its setup, so it has a lot of choices

(in reply to Banquet)
Post #: 5
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 8:18:39 PM   
PipFromSlitherine

There are a lot of modding features on our todo list, including random battles. But making a random battle which is interesting to play is not trivial!

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 6
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 9:13:02 PM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: PipFromSlitherine

There are a lot of modding features on our todo list, including random battles. But making a random battle which is interesting to play is not trivial!

Cheers

Pip

Totally understand and often random battles don't have the balanced challenge of a pre-designed scenario... but they do keep things from getting stale once the scenarios have been played and let people play with their favourite mix of units. I'm glad to hear it's on the todo list.

< Message edited by Banquet -- 10/3/2019 9:16:01 PM >

(in reply to PipFromSlitherine)
Post #: 7
RE: Skirmish/random battle mode? - 10/3/2019 9:14:37 PM   
Banquet

quote:

ORIGINAL: MikeGER

Banquet, there is surprise in a self created scenario.

you provide only a pool of units and the AI picks, also you can grant the AI a rather large area for its setup, so it has a lot of choices

That sounds interesting! So I could give the AI a selection of units to pick from - select an area of the map, and the AI would pick the units and the deployment locations? Can you set an amount of points for the AI to use, or how do you select how much the AI can pick?

(in reply to MikeGER)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> Skirmish/random battle mode? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI