Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios - 10/7/2019 6:29:33 AM   
uneducated

The number of troops to control in the initial battles is overwhelming if you are new to the game and would like to focus on learning how to effectively use each type of unit.

I think there should be about 10 tutorial scenarios created, where the number of troops and enemy is as small as possible. That way you could practice learning how to use each type of unit. Each feature of the game ideally should be linked to a mini-scenario where one can learn and practice using that feature. This ought to happen for all Slitherine/Matrix games.

Here are some examples:

Tank Destroyer Scenario

You have one tank destroyer (M3?) and must destroy a tank, the only other unit on the (small) map. There is a tiny amount of terrain, sufficient for you to learn to exploit concealment or create an effective ambush.

Start the scenario with some tips. For example, anticipate where the enemy will move, and position accordingly. Determine the best moment to move so that you can attack from behind where armour is weaker. Establish what effective range for that weapon looks like.

Then practice that a few times. Afterwards, you will enjoy the Kasserine Pass battle far more, as you will know very well what sort of things to do with your tank destroyers.

Tactics: Suppression
In addition to units, you could practice tactics. One of these could be using suppresive fire to pin a unit and then allow another unit to move into killing range without taking too many casualties. You would have a HMG unit and a rifle unit against a tough infantry unit, for example.

If these were accompanied by videos with a voiceover from somebody experienced, then it would be highly instructive. At the moment, I feel that the enjoyment potential in the game is not readily accessible.

< Message edited by uneducated -- 10/7/2019 8:36:05 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios - 10/7/2019 2:03:16 PM   
FroBodine

Great suggestion! 10 might be a little excessive (however, personally I would love it, as I love a good, comprehensive tutorial).

Does the game NOT already have tutorial battles?

< Message edited by FroBodine -- 10/7/2019 2:05:03 PM >

(in reply to uneducated)
Post #: 2
RE: REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios - 10/7/2019 2:37:53 PM   
budd

With a little more freedom in the scenario editor as far as picking number and type of troops and picking what's deployed for the other side, people could do this for themselves.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to FroBodine)
Post #: 3
RE: REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios - 10/7/2019 4:41:19 PM   
uneducated

In an open source project, such assistance might be more likely.
If the developers think that it is something they wish to occur, then they ought to prepare and present the skeleton onto which they wish the content to appear.

For example, provide an information structure (even if it is only a diagram) with components that need to be completed. This could have various levels of resolution, for example:

Using Cover:
Hard
Soft

Movement:
Effects of prolonged fast movement
Effects on being detected
Effects on casualties

Smoke:
Duration
Wind direction and changes
Effect on observation

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Close Combat – The Bloody First >> REQUEST: Tutorial Scenarios Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI