Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Save game runtime error (bis)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Save game runtime error (bis) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/7/2019 12:48:12 PM   
Bertram

I also got the save game runtime error. As it might have a different cause as Spore18 has, and to not confuse the error hunting, I made a separate thread.

I have been playing an PBEM game since June, and we are currently on turn 77. We have had no issues till now. Last turn I saved and send was yesterday. Got a turn back this morning, and did my moves. When I tried to end my turn, the game quit on me while saving. It was the same pop-up Spore18 had. (...tried to terminate in an unexpected way). I reloaded and redid my turn, but got kicked out with the same error message.

Neither of us has installed the 1.20 beta. We run the PBEM by ending the turns by mail. I have WitE on Steam - not sure about my opponent.

I have the game in my Steam Library, which is a separate map on my D: disk. Still 700 GB available.
Post #: 1
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 6:30:41 AM   
Bertram

Ok, something odd. Did some further testing. First I opened the previous turn, which did save normally last time. Made no moves, and tried to end the turn. That worked flawlessly. Then opened the current turn. Made no moves, and tried to end the turn....it worked.

So, now I will go try do the turn once more and see if it will end the turn ok. If not, it is down to something that happens during the turn... Will report in later.

Ok, so running the turn again, it resulted in another runtime error. Seems some move (or other action) I do during the turn results in the error. So now it is down to doing each move separate and ending the turn...hoping for a quick crash, or it is going to be a long task.

< Message edited by Bertram -- 10/8/2019 6:50:41 AM >

(in reply to Bertram)
Post #: 2
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 7:39:13 AM   
Bertram

Mixed results….

First I started the turn, did part of the actions, and tried to end the turn (F12). Then I restarted the turn, did the same actions, added some, and tried to end the turn.
After rail movement, the turn ended ok.
After rail movement and partisan removal, the turn ended ok.
After rail movement, partisan removal, and fighting at the Leningrad front, the turn ended ok.

As the turn got longer to run, I started intermediate saves (Shift S) after each move. After the intermediate save I ended the turn, and if it went right I reloaded the intermediate save.
Did the previous actions, added the southern front (just one attack), did an (Shift S), ended the turn. Got a runtime error.
Restarted the game, loaded the intermediate save.... tried to save (in order to replicate the crash) - now it went ok.
Reloaded the intermediate save - and got a runtime error while loading.
Restarted the game, tried to load it again….flawless…

Did some moves on the Moscow front, did an intermediate save, ended the turn. Went ok...

So the runtime error now (also) occurs sometimes when loading a game - but not always…

I'll keep trying later.

(in reply to Bertram)
Post #: 3
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 2:18:21 PM   
Bertram

Tried again this afternoon… not a single runtime error in four F12 "end of turn" commands… The turn goes to my opponent, I will post if/when the error pops up again.

(in reply to Bertram)
Post #: 4
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 2:34:47 PM   
Spore18

This is very similar to my experience with the issue, if it doesn't happen immediately upon loading it tends to happen when trying to save after a seemingly random type and number of actions.

(in reply to Bertram)
Post #: 5
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 3:08:33 PM   
morvael

It would be good if you could make a memtest run, my PC did a lot of random crazy things when its memory was damaged.

(in reply to Spore18)
Post #: 6
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 3:58:36 PM   
morvael

On the other hand it may be some action that you do that corrupts the game. Problem is finding which one.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/8/2019 7:21:57 PM   
Spore18

I'll make sure to do a run of memtest at some point, but yeah it's really strange. The game still works perfectly fine on my laptop, even playing the exact same saves that break on my desktop, so it's clearly an issue specific to our computers. And I have no idea what particular actions would have caused it to break, since I've played turns where the issue never came up at all and did exactly the same sorts of actions that I would do on a turn that breaks.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 8
RE: Save game runtime error (bis) - 10/10/2019 1:25:57 PM   
DETURK

I also have this same problem.
Game is on Steam.

(in reply to Spore18)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Tech Support >> Save game runtime error (bis) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI