Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running DWU?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running DWU? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running DWU? - 10/11/2019 6:03:13 PM   
Malakie

Oddly enough, I have two systems, one runs DWU perfectly, the other does not.

System #1 (DOES run the game perfectly):

i7-3770s, 24 GB ram, GTX1080, SSD, Surround 7.1, Windows 10 running in 1920x1080 res

System #2 (does NOT run the game):

i9-9900k, 48 GB ram, GTX-1080ti Poseidon, STRIX Raid DLX 7.1 Surround, Windows 10 Running in 3840x2160 UHD 4K (NOTE: I have reduced resolution to 1920x1080 in an attempt to run the game)

Symptoms: The game runs, generates a universe BUT the moment it starts the game where it normally pops up the game start dialog, it hangs a second with that dialog partially opened then CTD's.

Have tried every trick in the book I can think of. I have tried compat settings, changing the resolution, scaling etc etc etc. Still no go.

So has anyone figured out what is causing this issue?

Take it light...

Malakie
Post #: 1
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 10/11/2019 6:36:07 PM   
zakblood

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4647751

(in reply to Malakie)
Post #: 2
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 10/11/2019 6:41:23 PM   
Malakie

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4647751

As I clearly stated in my post, I ALREADY TRIED THAT.. It does not work.

Take it light...

Malakie

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 10/12/2019 12:12:35 PM   
ElanaAhova_slith

May I suggest you contact Elliot? He is, as I recall, lead programmer for the Distant World franchise. I helped play-test the 'universe' addition to the game - before it was released - and I always found Elliot to be friendly, knowledgeable, etc. Stay frosty.

edit:
When the game crashes it may output the reason to the crash dump file.

Go to Documents\My Games\Distant Worlds Universe
and look in DW_CrashDump.txt for any error messages

< Message edited by ElanaAhova_slith -- 10/12/2019 3:53:41 PM >

Do as you would be done by.

(in reply to Malakie)
Post #: 4
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 10/18/2019 2:40:53 AM   
Shogouki

Huh, DWU works on Win10 for me.

(in reply to ElanaAhova_slith)
Post #: 5
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 10/24/2019 1:26:41 PM   
Erik Rutins

DWU is no longer in development, but the best bet to figure out your issue would indeed be to look at the crash log if one exists. Also check Windows Event Viewer to see if the system captured the crash in the application log, if DWU did not.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Shogouki)
Post #: 6
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/6/2019 7:18:32 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malakie

Oddly enough, I have two systems, one runs DWU perfectly, the other does not.

System #1 (DOES run the game perfectly):

i7-3770s, 24 GB ram, GTX1080, SSD, Surround 7.1, Windows 10 running in 1920x1080 res

System #2 (does NOT run the game):

i9-9900k, 48 GB ram, GTX-1080ti Poseidon, STRIX Raid DLX 7.1 Surround, Windows 10 Running in 3840x2160 UHD 4K (NOTE: I have reduced resolution to 1920x1080 in an attempt to run the game)

Symptoms: The game runs, generates a universe BUT the moment it starts the game where it normally pops up the game start dialog, it hangs a second with that dialog partially opened then CTD's.

Have tried every trick in the book I can think of. I have tried compat settings, changing the resolution, scaling etc etc etc. Still no go.

So has anyone figured out what is causing this issue?

I just installed the game (from Steam) and also installed the Bacon mod with the RetreatUE on Windows 10 64bit on a Laptop with an Intel/Nvidia double graphics card, probably the most complicated setup to install any game on.

My problem was three things that needed to be done...

Step 1

in your "...\Steam\steamapps\common\Distant Worlds Universe" folder there is a text file called "startup.ini". In this file change...

playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

Step 2

Install DirectX9... the files does not come with the Steam installation so use this one...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-nz/download/details.aspx?id=8109

Step 3

I had to start the game with Administrator mode for the Bacon mod to load, but I don't think I needed to do that with the standard game. Most likely because the Bacon mod throw a modal popup when the exe is run.

I hope this help for you too...

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 11/6/2019 7:11:25 PM >

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 11/6/2019 7:22:13 PM >

(in reply to Malakie)
Post #: 7
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/6/2019 10:03:06 PM   
rjord2021

A court case in Europe prevented Microsoft from selling Windows 10 there with Windows Media Player built in by default.... anti competion nonsense. If Windows Media Player is not enabled on your computer then Distant Worlds Universe will not run.

Either enable Windows Media Player on your computer or in the file startup.ini change the line playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

See the link below explaining why Microsoft begin offering versions of Windows without Windows Media Player built-in.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/12/4480-2/

< Message edited by rjord1 -- 11/6/2019 10:05:44 PM >

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 8
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/7/2019 11:59:37 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

ORIGINAL: rjord1

A court case in Europe prevented Microsoft from selling Windows 10 there with Windows Media Player built in by default.... anti competion nonsense. If Windows Media Player is not enabled on your computer then Distant Worlds Universe will not run.

Either enable Windows Media Player on your computer or in the file startup.ini change the line playmovie 1 to playmovie 0

See the link below explaining why Microsoft begin offering versions of Windows without Windows Media Player built-in.

https://arstechnica.com/uncategorized/2004/12/4480-2/

My operating system actually have Media Player enabled and it make no difference, it still crashes when it tries to run the movie. Disabling it is the only way to make it work.

I can certainly run Media Player to watch media files just fine, I just don't use it though.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 9
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/7/2019 1:24:18 PM   
rjord2021

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorgen_CAB

My operating system actually have Media Player enabled and it make no difference, it still crashes when it tries to run the movie. Disabling it is the only way to make it work.

I can certainly run Media Player to watch media files just fine, I just don't use it though.

Generally Distant Worlds Universe needs you to have Media Player installed, Internet Explorer or Edge and DirectX.

If they are all there and still issues then disabling the movie is the only option.

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 10
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/8/2019 7:59:22 AM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

Generally Distant Worlds Universe needs you to have Media Player installed, Internet Explorer or Edge and DirectX.

If they are all there and still issues then disabling the movie is the only option.

Yep... all that is installed activated and tested so they work.

Following my guide above should provide a good way to get the game to work in Windows 10 if there is a problem with the game crashing when starting.

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 11
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/9/2019 7:22:17 AM   
rjord2021

quote:

Following my guide above should provide a good way to get the game to work in Windows 10 if there is a problem with the game crashing when starting.

quote:

Step 1.... that only needs to be run if you have a problem with Windows Media Player which is used to play the movie

Step 2... I am not sure why you need to downgrade to DirectX 9...... I have DirectX 12 on my Windows 10 machine via Windows update and I do not have an issue with running the game.

Step 3... I always run Distant Worlds Universe in admin mode

(in reply to Jorgen_CAB)
Post #: 12
RE: Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running... - 11/9/2019 8:48:04 PM   
Jorgen_CAB

quote:

quote:

quote:

Step 1.... that only needs to be run if you have a problem with Windows Media Player which is used to play the movie

Step 2... I am not sure why you need to downgrade to DirectX 9...... I have DirectX 12 on my Windows 10 machine via Windows update and I do not have an issue with running the game.

Step 3... I always run Distant Worlds Universe in admin mode

You don't downgrade the DX to version 9.... the game need some legacy files from the DX9 and the Steam installation does not come with a DX9 check for these files. I'm sure you have run this DX9 installer at some point, perhaps you have a none Steam version of the game (or other game/apps) which comes with such files for example.

I have done the installation on a couple of Windows 10 machines now in the last few years and I always needed to run the DX9 from Microsoft... just take my word for that you need to if you have a bog standard Windows 10. Running the DX9 installer do nothing with DX12 for Windows 10.

The media player does not work for the game on my laptop but it does on my desktop for example, most likely becasue the Laptop have a hybrid Intel/Nvidia card... I suspect that is the issue with media player... but the Laptop can run Media Player just fine otherwise.

You don't need to run the game in Admin mode unless you start the Bacon mod if you have certain security levels enables on the machine as the modal popup will not show otherwise and the game wait for you to click on something you can't see. Otherwise the game run fine without admin mode.

**EDIT**
I just checked and I'm now 99% sure the media player don't run becasue of my hybrid card. The media player is card coded to run the Intel card while the game run on the Nvidia card... quite sure this cause the issues with the game not starting if you try to run the intro movie. Normally you can change application to run with either Nvidia or Intel card, but some applications you can't choose and Media Player is one of them.

**EDIT AGAIN**
Can say with 100% certainty the hybrid Intel/Nvidia setup of the Laptop makes the intro movie crash the game. If I force the game to run with the Intel card the intro movie start and I can play the game... I obviously don't want to do that and excluding the movies is the best option in my case... ;)

< Message edited by Jorgen_CAB -- 11/9/2019 9:10:27 PM >

(in reply to rjord2021)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Anyone found a resolution to Windows 10 not running DWU? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI