Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 25-26 Jun 44

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 25-26 Jun 44 Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 25-26 Jun 44 - 9/19/2019 5:09:03 PM   
jwolf

I imagine that LST can and will respond rather quickly to either airdrop. I'm anxious to see what happens.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1291
RE: 25-26 Jun 44 - 9/19/2019 6:10:54 PM   
BBfanboy

Looks like you have Malaya severed from Bangkok - good going!

Your plan to paradrop on Quinhon looks like a long flight. Do you have aircraft with enough range, because I am sure the C-47/Skytrain can't drop troops that far away. I don't have any info on later transport aircraft ranges.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1292
RE: 25-26 Jun 44 - 9/20/2019 4:43:44 AM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Looks like you have Malaya severed from Bangkok - good going!

Your plan to paradrop on Quinhon looks like a long flight. Do you have aircraft with enough range, because I am sure the C-47/Skytrain can't drop troops that far away. I don't have any info on later transport aircraft ranges.

I've got one squadron of C-87 (Liberator Transport variant) in SE Asia command that can range, and once the airbase is secured, C-46 Commandos can range to bring in follow on troops. Should work...fingers crossed...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1293
RE: 25-26 Jun 44 - 9/20/2019 5:44:13 AM   
CaptBeefheart

The C-87 is a great aircraft. I like the C-54s a lot as well.

Good luck with the bold paradrops.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1294
27-28 Jun 44 - 9/21/2019 12:43:53 AM   
IdahoNYer

27-28 Jun 44

Highlights – Paras secure Soc Trang and Quinhon in Indochina; Kamis strike at Puerto Princess again as Digos landings go in on Mindanao.

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 1
xAKL: 3

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Farenholt)
AKA: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 86
Allied: 33

Subwar:
Jpn: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit
Allies: 2 Attacks, 2 ships hit (xAK dam, xAKL sunk)

Jpn Amph Inv: None

Allied Amph/Airborne Inv:
Digos (SOPAC)
Son Trang (SE Asia)
Quinhon (SE Asia)

Bases lost: None

Bases Liberated:
Digos (SOPAC)
Son Trang (SE Asia)
Quinhon (SE Asia)

SIGINT/Intel: Kamis strike at Puerto Princesa, but none hit the Digos landing - the real question is whether or not LBA will be used against the upcoming convoys heading to Indochina.

West Coast/Admin: NSTR.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Digos landings take place without any interference; two divisions landed plus support. Single SNLF company defending should be easily disposed of in the coming attack next turn as troops will begin heading towards Davao. Amph TFs and support will pull out back to Taluad and Ternate respectively where they will link up with the Cotabato Amphib and also the upcoming Panay landings which will take place as soon as troops can get loaded on the now empty Digos Amphibs. Looking to accelerate the PI landings as much as possible - troops are all prepped and all but one APA will be completed with refits/upgrades. The CV TFs will move into the Sulu Sea to cover both the Cotabato and Panay landings as well as perhaps draw some Kamis away from the Palawan area. I don’t expect any IJN interference however.

In SWPAC, Kamikazes return to hit shipping off Puerto Princesa. LRCAP missed the first strike of 16 Irvings which sank both the DD Farenholt and AKA Algol and crippled the DD Renshaw which will have to be scuttled. Out of the 16 planes, 13 hit ships and not were claimed either by the 12 planes available overhead on LRCAP or AA fire. Kamis are damned accurate! The subsequent two strikes over the two days of 3 Irvings and 16 Oscars were all intercepted by the LRCAP and splashed before getting in AA range, so the APA offloading was not affected. Still, Kamis are a menace that will be challenging to deal with as the ring gets tighter around the Home Islands. With the APA landing the US Base Force, Puerto Princesa AF becomes operational and will have its own CAP which should help. As Puerto was being hit by Kamis, US B-25s out of Jolo hit troop laden convoys NE of Panay in the Sibuyan Sea - numerous barges were sunk as were a pair of xAKLs and even an AV was set afire. An estimated 1500 troops were listed as casualties from the strikes. Focus now shifts from Palawan to Panay as two Aussie Bdes will be landed to clear the island - troops should start loading in a few days as assault shipping is released from Digos. Following the Panay landings, Busuanga will also be attacked to gain an AF closer to Manila. Then focus will move to southern Luzon for the bulk of SWPAC US troops and the Aussie I Corps will continue to clear PI islands as practical. The Aussie II Corps will now begin planning for its role in the Formosa landings - Pescadores, but that is a bit of a ways away. Still, this is the benefit of not having to fight through Borneo and the DEI - Allied troops are freed up to focus on the Jpn inner perimeter.

In China, Kweilin is hit again with sweeps, but this time they are met with a robust CAP of P-47D25s augmented by P-38s out of Liuchow. After two days of sweeps, 29 Georges are claimed against 5 Spits, 4 P-47s and 3 P-38s in air to air over Kweilin. The night bombing achieved nothing again, but this time AA fire also claimed a pair of Helens. Will be interesting to see if the sweeps continue - and ultimately figure out why L_S_T is intent on hitting Kweilin.

In SE Asia, the airborne attacks seize both Son Trang and Quinhon with minimal damage to the AFs and ports. Troops will continue to flow in via air, including aviation support to sustain fighters - P-51Bs are the first to arrive to operate out of Indochina at Son Trang. Will be a few days before both AFs are fully operational with sufficient supplies and will be interesting to see if L_S_T tries to shut down these bases before that with LBA bombing strikes. Small LST convoys are inbound carrying the initial supplies from sea, and depending on what L_S_T throws at them, follow on convoys will begin loading troops to both reinforce the two seized bases and land at Cam Ranh Bay which is known to be defended. In any case, with no major fight expected in Indochina, SE Asia command will lose the bulk of its US combat troops - the 3rd Mar Div and the three Infantry Divisions and much of their support will now begin planning for Formosa, and will change commands as political points can be accumulated - which should be well before the planning is completed to land on Formosa in a few months.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 1295
29-30 Jun 44 - 9/22/2019 6:32:06 PM   
IdahoNYer

29-30 Jun 44

Highlights – Digos secured and the fleet moves into the Sulu Sea; another furball over Kweilin.

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 3
PB: 2
AK: 1
xAKL: 1

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Renshaw-scuttled)

Air loss:
Jpn: 59
Allied: 34

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attack, 0 ships hit

Allied Amph Inv: None

Bases Liberated:
Digos (SOPAC)
Donnggala (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Very perplexed by the mass sweeps over Kweilin.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, last of the troops needed to be pulled off Pagan in the Marianas releases the CVE and CA TFs back to SOPAC for the time being. Will scale down the CA and CVE TF presence, but some will still be needed to prevent Kamis from hitting the major resupply convoys…I think..

In SOPAC, Digos falls as expected and the troops will now advance on Davao and surrounding bases. Fleet moves into the Sulu Sea and sinks three SCs on ASW patrol off Bataan. Thought they would also draw some Kamikaze strikes, but that didn’t materialize. Will loiter for a bit in the Sulu Sea to provide cover for upcoming PI landings and safeguard engineers moving to recently gained bases such as Taytay. Cotabato Amph TFs and support gathers at Talaud and will head to target next turn. Heavies will focus on hitting troops at Cotabato as prep, although estimated defenders is only about 2000 men. The Digos Amph TFs were divided to head back to Talaud where they are loading support troops for Mindanao and Ternate where they are loading SWPAC troops for the Panay landings.

In SWPAC, it was fairly quiet with no Kamikazes venturing to hit shipping in and around Palawan. US B-25s out of Jolo found a barge convoy and did some damage sinking a dozen or so barges packed with troops - about 600 troops aren't going to make their destination. Main event coming up in the landings on Panay’s SW tip, San Jose. Initially one Aus Bde, followed by an additional Bde to clear the three bases on the island. I’ve got an additional Aussie Div prepped, but I don’t think it will be needed. As Amph TFs are freed up from the Mindanao landings, the next amphib will be at Naga/Legaspi on Luzon’s SE tip. This will a SWPAC mission (which will place SWPAC troops north of SOPAC troops on Mindanao) and involve initially 3 US divisions. Other, primarily Aussie I Corps, troops will be used to clear other PI islands, but as AFs haven’t been built up on the majority of the islands, I’m in no hurry to secure them.

In China, Kweilin is again hit by sweeps. But this time, it’s a series of sweeps with Georges, Oscars, Franks and Tojos which gradually wear down the CAP of P-47s and P-38s. At the end of the two days, 23 Georges, 4 Tojos, 2 Franks and an Oscar are downed in exchange for 16 P-47D25s and 4 P-38s. Surprisingly, the Oscars were the best performers, perhaps because they came in late and fatigue was a factor. In any case, will swap out the worn down squadrons with fresh and see what next turn brings. Still don’t understand the attraction of all these sweeps over Kweilin.

In SE Asia, its pretty calm. No “retribution” strikes on the recently taken bases in Indochina which I’m kinda surprised. A few Helen squadrons would probably have been able to shut them down before they get packed with fighters - and enough supply to fly them. Ships are inbound with supplies from Batavia and Borneo, as well as the first ground troops. Troops also begin loading in Batavia for Amphib landing at Cam Rahn Bay which is reportedly defended. On the Thailand front, troops continue to slowly move towards the front, but progress is slow largely due to the miserable jungle terrain and secondary roads. That said, lead elements of the 20th Ind Div block the route east of Nakhon Ratchasima by defeating the 24th Mixed Bde costing the IJA over 1300 casualties. Bangkok/Ayuthia is still the priority, but its taking a bit for troops to be assembled to launch the cross river attack on Ayuthia - couple of days. In the meantime, bombers continue to soften up the defenders with good effects.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1296
Jun 44 Summary - 9/23/2019 4:01:57 PM   
IdahoNYer

Jun 44 Summary

Jun 44 Summary

Another outstandingly successful month in territorial gains! Securing bases in northern Borneo and outer islands of the Philippines without much ground fighting was surprising. Footholds secured in the Marianas at Rota and Pagan were contested, but not nearly as hard as anticipated. And finding Indochina pretty much abandoned was shocking - troops are now freed up for planning on Formosa. The Burma/Thailand/Malaya ground offensive has been slow, but more due to jungle terrain than bitter defensive stands. China has been stable and other than air activity over Kweilin, quiet. The occasional Kamikaze strikes have proven to be troublesome, and an omen of the challenges ahead. The IJN has pretty much stayed in port - Naval losses for the month were light to both sides; the IJN reportedly lost a CL, DD, 3SS, 1SSX and 26MTBs compared to the Allies losing 2DDs, 1SS and 1 PT. In the air, 552 for Jpn to 303 Allied.

INTEL: I expected more of a contested landing in the Marianas and I also anticipated hell in the approach to the PI - neither happened. Some brief responses, but nothing sustained. Luzon must be heavily defended, but intel is recently showing less than anticipated air based around Manila. I know lack of supply and fuel is severely hindering the Japanese defenses, but there has to be a inner perimeter established to try and hold before the Home Islands, no?

SUBWAR: Another month with a lack of targets for Allied subs. The occasional coastal convoy in PI waters, or a well defended run in the East China Sea, but they have been very rare. Jpn ASW efforts still remain a significant threat to Allied subs. IJN subs have largely disappeared.

West Coast/USA/Rear Areas: Fighter production drops to 735 in June with the F6F-3, P-47D25 and P-40N5 going out of production and only the F6F-5 coming on line. Losing the P-47D25 production is a big blow - no question the best fighter in the Allied arsenal at this point in the war - but I’ve managed to stock up 385 in the pools to keep squadrons flying until the P-47N comes around in ’45. Hopefully that will be enough. Pilot pools remain fair to good with the exception of US Navy and Marine fighters due to the influx of CVEs with their lackluster pilots needing training and expanding the fighter squadrons in the CVLs and CVs. The refit/upgrading continues for Essex CVs and CVLs, and that should wind down in Jul. APA and CL upgrades are also largely completed.

NOPAC. Have increase recon of the Kuriles using “commander’s discretion” to keep L_S_T guessing. Troops and increased supply/fuel have begun arriving in the Aleutians, but will not look at any landings in the Kuriles until August at the very earliest.

CENPAC. Rota and Pagan were taken with only one turn of heavy response - and that was limited to heavy MTB attacks which were unsuccessful. The minor islands near Pagan were garrisoned, so they will remain under IJA control. Troops will continue to prep for Guam and LBA will be used to keep remaining Jpn bases suppressed in the Marianas in Jul, but no major other actions are planned.

SOPAC. Troops were landed on Digos at the end of the month signifying the true beginning of the Philippines Campaign which will be jointly conducted by SOPAC and SWPAC troops. Mop-up landings will also continue as assault shipping permits to clean up the Moluccas and select remaining IJA holdings in the New Guinea area.

SWPAC. Was another very busy month for SWPAC, gaining Jesselton area Borneo, opening up the Sulu Sea by securing Jolo and Tawi-Tawi and taking Palawan. Will continue to be busy in Jul with the Philippine Campaign in full swing. SWPAC troops have a major role - the Australians working to secure outer islands starting with Panay and US troops landing on southern Luzon at Legaspi. The recently captured bases all need extensive improvements, so shuttling forward engineers will also be a major focus in July.

China. Other than the fixation on air battles over Kweilin, its been very quiet in China. Supplies in China have reached the 150k mark for the first time and continue to climb. With supplies on hand, infantry replacements have been totally exhausted - some Chinese corps are now quite robust. I don’t expect any major IJA offensive in China. As SE Asia troops (which include unrestricted Chinese troops) close on Indochina from the west, will look to see how remaining unrestricted Chinese troops in China can assist. Eventually, will look to link up SE Asia and China Theaters, but that is a few months away.

SE Asia. Wow! Never expected the IJA to abandon Indochina! Progress has been slow to encircle and reduce the Rahaeng and Bangkok pockets, but that will be accomplished in July. The slow drive into Malaya will also continue, and perhaps pick up some momentum. Terrain remains terrible in Malaya and western Thailand, and the Indian and British formations still fragile - few replacements are always a concern. With Indochina abandoned, large numbers of SE Asia troops in the DEI are available - some will be shipped across to link up with troops advancing from the Bangkok area in Indochina, some will be held and begin planning for landings on the island of Hainan. The focus in July will be liberating Indochina and advancing on Hanoi. Ultimately, the goal of SE Asia command now is to link up with China Theater troops and open up a direct supply line from Hanoi to Nanning. The one downside to SE Asia command is that due to the lack of Indochina defenses, the bulk of US ground forces - 4 divisions - will be pulled and begin planning for landings on Formosa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1297
1-2 Jul 44 - 9/24/2019 11:08:13 PM   
IdahoNYer

1-2 Jul 44

Highlights – Cotabato landings go in; first troops arrive in Indochina via ship.

Jpn ships sunk:
E: 1
ACM: 1
AV: 1
TK: 1

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Renshaw-scuttled)

Air loss:
Jpn: 13
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 1 Attack, 1 ship hit (ACM sunk)

Allied Amph Inv:
Cotabato (SOPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Galeia (SOPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Manila area AFs look to be lacking fighters, just transports/search and a few bombers. Surprised….no major Kamikaze strikes going support the defense of the Philippines?

West Coast/Admin: BB Indiana begins a 20+ day refit/upgrade at Sydney.

In NOPAC, last of the troops awaiting in San Francisco begin loading to transit to the Aleutians. Will still be a while before any landings in the Kuriles take place, but will have all but the 6th Mar Div in position shortly. 6th Mar Div will remain in Hawaii soaking up the sun for a bit.

In CENPAC, Heavies continue their work to suppress Marianas AFs from AFs at Yap (Navy), Ponape (Navy) and Kavieng (B-29s). Although I can’t rule out L_S_T placing some planes in the Marianas for a quick Kamikaze raid on supply convoys, so far, I don’t see any indication of it.

In SOPAC, Cotabato landings go in without any issues, two more divisions ashore in Mindanao and will attack to secure the base next turn. Two NZ Bdes are enroute to Talaud, and then on to Mindanao which should be enough to secure the island. Davao looks to be well defended by about 15k troops and about 25k at Cagayan. How many of those are combat troops is anyone’s guess at the moment. In any case, bombers will focus on softening up targets as ground troops advance toward those two objectives. The Cagayan Amphib TFs will head to SWPAC and Timor to begin preparations for the landings at Naga on Luzon’s SE coast. The CVE and CA TFs will head to Jolo to rendezvous with the Panay Amphib which has finished loading at Ternate. CV TFs remain in the Sulu Sea and so far hasn’t done much - either offensively or been a target magnet to Kamikazes. Lastly, the NZ Fiji Bde with some armor support secures Galeia in the Moluccas pushing back a Naval guard unit in the second attack. The Jpn lost about 500 troops to the NZ loss of about 50. The NZs will continue to clear out the remaining two bases in the Moluccas, but it will be a slow slog through the jungles.

In SWPAC, Panay Amphib w/ 1 Aussie Bde arrives at Jolo with supporting TFs; will proceed to San Jose next turn. An additional Aussie Bde begins loading at Ternated and will follow and support once San Jose is secured.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, the first ship borne troops land at Soc Trang, a port engineer unit and a US infantry regiment. Additional troops, along with supply laden LSTs are enroute. So far, no interdiction of the sea movements. On land, will look to begin moving troops across the river to assault Ayuthia next turn - looking at about 3 or so divisions to coordinate movement/attack across the river for the shock attack against a defense estimated to be around 10k men. Bombers continue to prosecute supporting attacks against targets in both Ayuthia and Bangkok in preparation.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1298
RE: 1-2 Jul 44 - 9/25/2019 3:08:02 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I'm wondering when the hammer falls. In most AARs I read the Allies are lucky to get local pockets of air superiority in 1944. Also, to be allowed to take those two islands in the Marianas without more of a defensive effort or even a counterattack seems a bit odd. What do you think is going on here?

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1299
RE: 1-2 Jul 44 - 9/25/2019 3:34:46 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

I'm wondering when the hammer falls. In most AARs I read the Allies are lucky to get local pockets of air superiority in 1944. Also, to be allowed to take those two islands in the Marianas without more of a defensive effort or even a counterattack seems a bit odd. What do you think is going on here?

Cheers,
CB

Best as I can tell, its a lack of fuel and supplies constraining L_S_T's responses. This is more from his emails than anything specific in game of course - recon and intel don't give you a good read on your opponent's supply or fort statuses.

But it stands to reason, losing the DEI oil capabilities in mid '44 has too hurt.

I keep expecting that "hammer to fall" each time I launch an amphib...it will happen...just later than I expected. Wasn't the Marianas or the outer PI islands so....Perhaps Luzon. Perhaps Formosa.

Looking forward to reading L_S_T's AAR when this is all said and done to get the details!

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 9/25/2019 3:35:12 PM >

Post #: 1300
RE: 1-2 Jul 44 - 9/26/2019 2:46:47 AM   
CaptBeefheart

I have not been reading his AAR, but I see he has "no supplies, no fuel" in his title. Maybe this is a brilliant rope-a-dope strategy?

Cheers,
CB

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1301
RE: 1-2 Jul 44 - 9/29/2019 7:01:04 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptBeefheart

I have not been reading his AAR, but I see he has "no supplies, no fuel" in his title. Maybe this is a brilliant rope-a-dope strategy?

Cheers,
CB

L_S_T has always liked to do things "BIG" when he can - so I figure he's got at least one good "all in" counterattack coming. Kamikazes, mini subs, MTBs, and of course the KB which is pretty much intact. I'm just not sure anymore when I'm going to see it - I figured the Philippines, but now I'm thinking maybe Formosa or even the Home Islands. We'll see....

Post #: 1302
3-4 Jul 44 - 9/29/2019 7:16:23 PM   
IdahoNYer

3-4 Jul 44

Highlights – Ayuthia, gateway to Bangkok, taken early; Cotabato also taken

Jpn ships sunk:
xAK: 1

Allied ships sunk: None

Air loss:
Jpn: 13
Allied: 13

Subwar:
Jpn: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit - two IJN fleet boats sighted at sea…first in a LONG while.
Allies: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Bases Liberated:
Ayuthia (SE Asia)
Nakhon Batchasima (SE Asia)
Cotabato (SOPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Very surprised that Ayuthia fell so quickly - perhaps the lack of supplies are more severe than thought in the Bangkok pocket.

West Coast/Admin: 3xEssex Class CVs finished their refits at Manus and will head to rejoin the fleet. Only CV Bunker Hill requires the Jun ’44 refit, but will hold off for a bit as she is a “fighter carrier” with 72 fighters on board.

In NOPAC, an IJN sub makes an rare appearance off the Aleutians. Sighted by a PBY, an ASW TF prosecutes an inconclusive attack on I-9 off Attu. Will continue to focus on the subs demise.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, Cotabato taken and the Naval Guard defenders destroyed. Troops now begin advancing on Cagayan. In the south, troops reach Davao and will bombard to see what’s there. Both Digos and Cagayan AFs now operational with fighters flying CAP. CV TFs will move off Panay to potentially launch strikes at reported activity off San Fernando in northern Luzon and conduct sweeps over Clark AF and Manila. Need to keep the CVs in the Sulu Sea to provide cover for the upcoming SWPAC landings at Panay and Busuanga.

In SWPAC, the first engineers arrive at Taytay and so far, no kamikazes. Landings will begin at Panay’s SW coast next turn, covered by CA and CVE TFs. Only one CVE TF will support as the other will remain at Jolo to take on fuel from the Repl TF. With the CV TFs loitering in the area, this should not pose a problem. With the CVs providing some sweeps, Manila will be hit by Heavies for the first time next turn - weather permitting. A limited strike, one group of B-24s out of Jesselton and the B-29 Group at Balikpapan.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, I’m pleasantly surprised that my fouled-up movement command to a single Indian Bde manages to secure Ayuthia. I mistakenly left the Bde on “move” instead of “combat”, so it high-tailed ahead of the remaining 2.5 divisions moving into Ayuthia on the second day. So, the lone Indian Bde conducts a shock attack across the river in movement mode and STILL takes the base. The two Independent Mixed Bdes were pushed back in Bangkok, losing over 1800 troops. So now I’m hopeful the IJA supply situation is also critical in Bangkok -that has to be the reason for the successful attack. Also, Nakhon Ratchasima was taken by the 20th Indian Division, destroying 24th Independent Mixed Bde and part of an RTA Div. In Indochina, the LSTs arrive with needed supplies to both Soc Trang and Quinhon. So far, no Jpn response. A Bde carrying convoy should arrive at Quinhon next turn, and frankly, that’s a fat target - so will sea if that draws some Kamikazes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1303
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 9/30/2019 2:24:42 AM   
BBfanboy

Those IJ Bdes at Ayuthia could have been in strat mode, so they were unable to resist your single bde. The AV modifiers in the combat report should give a clue as to the reason for their dismal performance.

D'oh! When I composed the above I had the post on screen but the Combat Report attached to the map was not visible. Just did not see the CR that time!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 10/1/2019 12:25:20 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1304
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 9/30/2019 2:12:22 PM   
jwolf

quote:

Those IJ Bdes at Ayuthia could have been in strat mode, so they were unable to resist your single bde. The AV modifiers in the combat report should give a clue as to the reason for their dismal performance.

If so, wouldn't that have triggered an op mode penalty in the combat report?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1305
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 9/30/2019 8:20:49 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: jwolf

quote:

Yes, I think either strat or movement mode would also show up in the combat report.

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1306
5-6 Jul 44 - 9/30/2019 8:32:27 PM   
IdahoNYer

5-6 Jul 44

Highlights – Panay landings go in to find the initial objective abandoned; Manila bombed for first time.

Jpn ships sunk:
CLAA: 1 (Tenryu - replaces Yubari as sunk)
DD: 1 (Shimozuki - replaces Umigiri as sunk)
SS: 1 (RO-110)

Jpn ships un-sunk:
CL: 1 (Yubari)
DD: 1 (Umigiri - which was however reportedly bombed in Manila this turn)

Air loss:
Jpn: 23
Allied: 28

Subwar:
Jpn: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit - two IJN fleet boats sighted at sea…first in a LONG while.
Allies: 0 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Bases Liberated:
Dadjangas (SOPAC)
San Jose (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: No CAP over Manila tells me that the PI isn’t going to be the decisive battlefield I expected.

In NOPAC, ASW TF (3DD) continues to hunt the elusive IJN sub off Attu.

In CENPAC, another IJN sub makes an appearance in the “air gap” between Pearl and San Francisco. DE John C. Butler coming in from the west coast is missed by a torpedo spread and counterattacks reportedly damaging the sub with a hit. Additional ASW assets will head out of Pearl to continue the attack against the sub.

In SOPAC, troops continue to advance on Mindanao with the Americal Division entering the outskirts of Davao and will bombard to test defenses. In the far south, a Bde from the 93rd ID takes Dadjangas and destroys the 230 man SNLF garrison. Meanwhile engineers continue to come ashore at Cotabato to expand the base. Both reinforcing NZ IN Bdes are at Talaud, awaiting assault shipping to return to transit to Mindanao. So far, so good in Mindanao. The CV TFs came up empty in the attempt to target any shipping off Luzon, and will move out of the Sulu Sea, heading south around Mindanao enroute to the Philippine Sea. Will refuel one CV TF at a time during this transit, as well as link up with the 3 freshly upgraded Essex CVs. The Fleet will stay in the Philippine Sea off Luzon’s east coast to be in a better position to interdict IJN shipping off north Luzon while staying out of range of Formosa Airfields.

In SWPAC, the 16th Aus Bde lands unopposed at San Jose on Panay, securing the base. Follow on engineers and another Bde will start landing next turn to move east and clear the island. Panay WAS heavily garrisoned as recently as a few weeks ago - apparently that concentration of aircraft on Panay’s AFs was to remove most of that garrison - an estimated 30k troops were identified on Panay’s three bases - so much combat power that the 2nd Aus Div was missioned to reinforce the two Bde’s already earmarked for the attack. Obviously, the 2nd Aus Div can relax in Darwin for a bit longer! With the Fleet departing the Sulu Sea, air defense will rely on the two CVE TFs operating off Panay to provide cover. The first bombing of Manila by B-24s out of Jesselton and B-29s out of Balikpapan showed no CAP over the base and bombing results were fair - a number of ships in the harbor were hit including an ARD, AV, DD, AKE and SS, but only 5 auxiliary a/c destroyed on the AF. Will continue to hit Manila and other Luzon targets with increasing tempo as additional AFs are expanded to handle the heavy bombers - currently only Jesselton is in range and capable of supporting a single B-24 group. Assault transports begin loading the Naga Amph support troops on Timor at Latuem, to be followed by the combat troops next turn. Much assault transport still needs to be assembled at the two other primary embarkation ports of Kendari and Balikpapan.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, additional fighter squadrons are flown into Soc Trang and Quinhon to provide CAP as a Bde is slated to arrive by sea at each port next turn, and also to provide LRCAP to the Bde sized Amphib landing that will go in at Cam Rahn Bay. If L_S_T is going to unleash the Kamikazes, now would be the time! Even with about 150 fighters providing cover, having all three Bdes coming ashore at three different points is pushing the risk factor a bit. But based on all indicators, I don’t expect any major response. Fingers crossed…. Additional combat and support troops are currently loading in various ports in Sumatra and Java as transports are now becoming available from SWPAC - the key is having Cam Rahn Bay’s level 5 port available to disembark the majority of the troops. Elsewhere, troops begin moving from Ayuthia towards Bangkok, all deliberately this time in combat mode. Troops also continue to push east, advanced elements reach Udon Thani and will bombard to test defenses. Troops are also heading toward Ubon, and from there will head into the jungles of Vietnam to link up with seaborne delivered troops in the vicinity of Hue. Lastly, the drive into Malaya continues at a snail’s pace, slowed by both terrain and lack of supplies - which should improve once Victoria Point is reached in a few days.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1307
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 10/1/2019 1:57:14 AM   
Capt. Harlock

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

quote:

quote:

Yes, I think either strat or movement mode would also show up in the combat report.

Note also that all Japanese losses were destroyed. No disablements.

Civil war? What does that mean? Is there any foreign war? Isn't every war fought between men, between brothers?

--Victor Hugo

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1308
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 10/2/2019 6:47:42 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

I didn't notice that! So....what does that signify - a lack of supply issue?

(in reply to Capt. Harlock)
Post #: 1309
7-8 Jul 44 - 10/3/2019 11:26:32 PM   
IdahoNYer

7-8 Jul 44

Highlights – Cam Rahn Bay landings go in and the Amph TF is met by heavy CD Batteries and mines.

Jpn ships sunk:
CL: 1 (Yubari)

Jpn ships un-sunk:
CLAA: 1 (Tatsuta - OK, intel now says it WAS in fact Yubari that went down!)

Allied ships sunk:
DMS: 1 (Dorsey)
AM: 2

Air loss:
Jpn: 21
Allied: 40 (35!! Ops losses!)

Subwar:

Cam Ranh Bay (SE Asia)
Tawau (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Rachgia (SE Asia - flipped)
Chumphon (SE Asia)
Chanthaburi (SE Asia)
Tawau (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Big, well guarded, IJN convoy which included support ships (AKE, AGP, etc) as well as merchants was spotted by sub in the East China Sea apparently heading away from Formosa and towards Japan - I take this as another “tightening” of the defensive perimeter, with Formosa become part of the front lines.

In NOPAC, ASW TF (3DD) still hunting the sub off Attu.

In CENPAC, contact is lost with the sub NE of Pearl. ASW TFs will continue to comb the last reported position for another turn or so.

In SOPAC, the bombardment recon of Davao finds the base to be defended by six regimental sized combat formations - in what shape or condition is anyone’s guess. So, as planned, the Americal Div will hold off attacking until the NZ Bde can make it ashore and the Bde from the 93rd ID moving from Dadjangas can arrive. In the meantime, airpower will continue to pound the target. Troops landed at Cotabato continue to advance along the northern part of the island, with the 25th ID breaking down to Bdes, two of which will head west to secure Oroquita and Dumanquilas before joining the 31st ID’s drive toward Cagayan. At sea, the CV TFs clear the south coast of Mindanao as they proceed into the Philippine Sea, with one of the three CV TFs taking on fuel enroute. A second CV TF will take on fuel next turn, and will see if there is sufficient fuel remaining in the Repl TF for the third. Focus in SOPAC remains reinforcing the advance on Mindanao and setting the conditions for the upcoming landings on Luzon at Naga. The follow-on landings after Naga/Legaspi will be northern Luzon, centered on the Lingayen area, and SOPAC will lead this effort. These troops are fully prepped, but are at a number of bases including Sorong, Sansapor, and Darwin. The Darwin troops will move by xAP forward to Balikpapan and that slow process is also beginning - the goal is to have the Lingayen Amphib troops in position to embark as soon as assault transports can be freed up from the Naga landings. The tricky part will be the CV TF moving back from the Philippine Sea around northern Luzon into the South China Sea - the first test of the air defenses/kamikazes based in Formosa.

In SWPAC, Australian troops on Panay begin their advance on Roxas on Panay’s east coast. CVE and CA TFs remain in support at San Jose, safeguarding the anchorage as supplies and engineers continue to come ashore. The much heralded 2/9 Cdo makes another jump to seize the undefended Borneo base of Tawau. The troops slated for the Naga amphib continue to load at Lautem, with the combat troops centered around the US 32nd ID beginning to load. Assault shipping is still enroute to Balikpapan, and loading there should begin next turn, along with troops earmarked for Legaspi to load at Kendari. Much moving parts for this operation!

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, all three brigades come ashore at Soc Trang, Cam Ranh Bay and Quinhon without any interdiction by Japanese air. However…the coastal batteries supported by an extensive minefield takes its toll of the Amphib TF landing at Cam Ranh Bay. Despite having cruisers in the Amphib TF, the coastal batteries focused initially on the minesweepers, sinking a DMS and two AMs and damaging another DMS. Coastal batteries (130mm type) also damaged the CLAA Van Heemskerk and CLs Caradoc and De Ruyter while DD Sigsbee found a mine the hard way. All of these ships will require some body and paint work, but are in no serious danger - unless they hit a mine as they head home. The ground troops were all landed in good order, and will attack to take the base next turn. Also, with the influx of the additional ground troops, units will begin to advance from Soc Trang and Quinhon. On the ground front, lead elements move into the outskirts of Bangkok, and do not trigger and artillery bombardment - perhaps the supply situation is dire for the defenders. West of Rahaeng, Allied troops begin the attack to eliminate the IJA pocket astride the road to Rahaeng, and the first two attacks to well, inflicting over 3000 casualties to only 250 Allied in two attacks - but the defenders still block the road. Will take another day or two to clear the remaining troops. The attack into Malaya is slowly developing, with the lead Allied unit, elements from the Indian 17th Division, taking Chumphon and pursuing the remnants back toward Victoria Point. Once Victoria Point is taken, the supply situation should improve dramatically.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by IdahoNYer -- 10/3/2019 11:33:35 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1310
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 10/4/2019 6:07:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt. Harlock

I didn't notice that! So....what does that signify - a lack of supply issue?

The unit is already mostly disabled. Additional damage to already disabled devices means destruction.

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1311
RE: 3-4 Jul 44 - 10/5/2019 4:16:24 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

The unit is already mostly disabled. Additional damage to already disabled devices means destruction.

Thanks BB! Makes perfect sense.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 1312
9-10 Jul 44 - 10/5/2019 5:34:36 PM   
IdahoNYer

9-10 Jul 44

Highlights – Cam Rahn Bay and Udon Thani taken in SE Asia Theater.

Jpn ships sunk:
xAK: 2

Allied ships sunk:
SS: 2 (O-24)

Air loss:
Jpn: 3
Allied: 16

Subwar:

Allied Amph: None

Bases Liberated:
Rachgia (SE Asia - flipped)
Chumphon (SE Asia)
Chanthaburi (SE Asia)
Tawau (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Big, well guarded, IJN convoy which included support ships (AKE, AGP, etc) as well as merchants was spotted by sub in the East China Sea apparently heading away from Formosa and towards Japan - I take this as another “tightening” of the defensive perimeter, with Formosa becoming part of the front lines.

West Coast/Admin: I managed to overlook a ship withdrawal. DD Harding is due to withdraw in two days and she’s currently working off Panay, so no where near a port to where she can be withdrawn. So she’ll instead go on a death-ride recon north of Luzon.

In NOPAC, no sign of the offending sub, I figure she’s headed home.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, on Mindanao, troops enter Cagayan and will bombard to see what’s there - recon says over 25k in troops, so the US 31st Division will wait for follow on forces before making any assault. Bombers continue to work over IJA defenders at Cagayan and Davao. At sea, a second CV TF takes on fuel and the three recently refurbished Essex CVs join the fleet heading towards Samar. The last CV TF will take on fuel next turn, then the fleet will head north looking for targets of opportunity and likely probe defenses of Formosa and Okinawa areas.

In SWPAC, other than the mentioned DD Harding sortie, its quiet in the Sulu Sea area. 32nd ID Amph TF completed its loading at Lautem and will head to Taluad to await the other Amphib TFs - the 1st CAV began loading at Balikpapan, but additional assault transports are needed for support troops. They’re inbound next turn. Troops bound for Legaspi also load at Kendari, and they will join the party at Talaud as well. Waiting at Talaud are two CVE and a CA TF to provide cover. As Ed Sullivan used to say, the Naga-Legaspi landings “will be a really big shoooww”.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, Cam Ranh Bay was taken easily in one attack, only a 50 man CD unit was left to defend the port - but they certainly earned their medals the turn before against the Amphib TF! Troops will move inland to secure Dalat and engineers already are debarking. The facilities were taken largely intact, so fighters are flown in to provide CAP. Troops are also moving inland from Soc Trang and north along the coast from Quinhon. Inland, the road hub base of Udon Thani is taken from a rearguard delaying force which left behind 500 defenders and inflicted almost 200 casualties. Two Chinese divisions will head north to Vientiane, while the majority of the Allied troops will head easterly toward the coast toward Vinh and eventually Hanoi/Haiphong. To bolster the advance, an Airborne Bde will be flown into Udon Thani. Lastly, troops advancing in Malaya have reached Victoria Point which they find defended, and will bombard to see what is there.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1313
11-12 Jul 44 - 10/6/2019 5:25:37 PM   
IdahoNYer

11-12 Jul 44

Highlights – Kamikazes hit convoy returning from Soc Trang.

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 1
xAKL:1

Allied ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Downes)
DE: 1 (Encounter)

Air loss:
Jpn: 33
Allied: 17

Subwar:
Allies: 5 Attack, 1 ships hit (xAKL sunk)

Allied Amph Inv:
Davao (SOPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Iloilo (SWPAC)
Prachuap Khiri Khan (SE Asia)
Malaybalay (SOPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: L_S_T has again used bypassed based Kamikazes to hit a convoy - this time from a base in Malaya. Also, SIGINT says a troops convoy is heading to one of the islands in the Okinawa chain…may be an opportunity for a CV strike.

West Coast/Admin: Three more CVLs finish out refit at Soerabaja and will head to join the fleet, and swap out the three remaining CVLs still needing the upgrade. Also, four Kingfisher squadrons are withdrawn - all of which were training US Navy fighter pilots which will further impact the already strained Navy fighter pilot training program.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, Navy Heavies turn their attention to hitting Tinian AF while Navy mediums hit troops on the outer Marianas island of Anatahan with good effect inflicting about 300 casualties. Will continue to focus Navy bombers on softening up enemy positions in the Marianas.

In SOPAC, troops continue to advance on Mindanao with two Bdes of the 93rd ID seized the mountain base of Malaybalay just north of Davao inflicting over 700 casualties. This cuts Davao off from withdrawing to assist the major bastion of Cagayan which was bombarded by the lead elements of the 31st ID. Cagayan is heavily defended by numerous IJA combat units, including the 2nd Infantry Division totaling about 25k men. The bombardment results inflicted about 50 IJA casualties to about 30 US. This will be a tough fight, and will wait until troops can be brought up from Davao. At Davao, the 8th NZ Bde is brought ashore directly, supported by a CA TF (3CA, DDs) naval bombardment inflicting only 70 casualties which tells me the troops there are well dug in. Will look to attack the base in the next turn or so, depending on the fatigue recovery of the NZ Bde. On the other side of the Celebes Sea, the rear area clean up at Manado intensifies as a BB TF (5BB, DDs) rolls in a solid bombardment, inflicting a reported 1600 casaulties to support the ongoing ground bombardment of the US 40th ID which will turn to ground attack next turn, supported by the continued air bombardment and additional naval bombardments. I suspect supplies are exhausted at Manado, so hopefully the 40th will have a low cost attack. In the Philippine Sea, the last US CV TF takes on fuel from the Repl TF which now heads back to Manus. The supporting surface and ASW TFs take on fuel from the CV TFs and the Fleet will now head north toward Luzon.

In SWPAC, DD Harding continues its northward cruise, and is attacked by Kamikazes out of Clark AF while she was off Lingayan Gulf. Unfortunately…..she beat off the 7 attackers and continues her cruise to patrol off northern Luzon. On Panay, the two Aus Bdes take Iloilo from two defending SNLF companies and will now advance on Roxas, which looks to also have been pretty much abandoned. The Busuanga Amphib will put troops ashore next turn supported by CA and CVE TFs. Being only 4 hexes from Manila, Kamikazes are expected. The Naga and Legaspi Amphib TFs have all completed loading their primary elements and are now proceeding to Talaud. A few support units remain to be loaded, and they will follow as they complete loading. Current recon on southern Luzon is showing minimal IJA defenses, with most troops apparently have being withdrawn to defend Manila proper.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, one of the returning Indochina bound convoys from Soc Tran wondered a bit too close to the Malayan coast where it was observed the turn prior, and was set upon by Kamikazes. Truly a minimal expenditure of 8 Jakes and 7 Babs managed to sink a DD and DE and heavily damage an APA and an AKA. Both ships were empty and should make Soerabaja for paint and body work. I didn’t see any of this due to the synch bug! So, I have no idea where the attack originated from. Regardless, using Jakes is an effective Kamikaze as they don’t need an airfield - so as long as there is supply, they can fly from any base. Will focus some recon and bombers over southern Malaya, in the Singers area and see what we can find. Will also route convoys away from Malaya and focus some fighters to provide some LRCAP, but the troops flow will continue to the recently gained Indochina bases, however, this does effectively close the Malacca Straits for the time being as well. Not good, but not critical either; will just take a tad longer to route convoys around Sumatra and through the Sunda Straits instead of the Malacca Straits. On the ground, troops bombard Victoria Point and find it minimally defended; it should fall next turn. Also the bypassed base of Prachuap Khiri Khan along the rail line to Bangkok was seized by the main body of the Indian XV Corps as they begin to move down the peninsula.

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Tioman Island at 52,84

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 50 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
E13A1 Jake x 5

Japanese aircraft losses
E13A1 Jake: 3 destroyed

Allied Ships
CL Caradoc
AKA Aquarius, Kamikaze hits 1
APA Henderson, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
5 x E13A1 Jake flying as kamikaze
Kamikaze: 4 x 60 kg GP Bomb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Tioman Island at 52,84

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 54 NM, estimated altitude 6,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-15-II Babs x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-15-II Babs: 4 destroyed
Ki-15-II Babs: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
DD Downes, Kamikaze hits 3, and is sunk
DE Encounter, Kamikaze hits 3, and is sunk

Aircraft Attacking:
7 x Ki-15-II Babs flying as kamikaze

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1314
13-14 Jul 44 - 10/10/2019 6:31:53 PM   
IdahoNYer

13-14 Jul 44

Highlights – US CV strikes hit ASW units off Formosa; Manado taken in first assault.

Jpn ships sunk:
SC: 3
PB: 1
TK: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 30
Allied: 16

Subwar:
Allies: 4 Attack, 2 ships hit (PB sunk, xAK dam)

Allied Amph Inv:
Busuanga (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Dalat (SE Asia)
Dumaguete (SWPAC - flipped)
Oroquieta (SOPAC)
Victoria Point (SE Asia)
Manado (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: Few targets for the US CVs off Luzon further indicate L_S_T will not fight his decisive battle in the Philippines.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, continued progress on Mindanao with Oroquieta begin taken without a fight. Troops are about ready to launch the attack on Davao, while the remaining NZ Bde on Talaud boards ships to transit to Cotabato for the attack on Cagayan. A CA TF will support the Cagayan attack with naval bombardment. At sea, the CVs move off Appari on northern Luzon and find few targets - a small ASW TF of three SCs are hit off Formosa. Will head the CVs NE towards Okinawa and the East China Sea to see what they can stir up before heading back south to cover the landings at Naga/Legaspi. With the continued lack of response in the air, and the recon showing most IJA troops have gathering in Manila vs. defending the coastal bases, I’m looking at off-ramping the two USMC Divisions (and their associated support) slated for the Northern Luzon landings - leaving it to the US Army to secure north Luzon. This will allow the Marines to plan for Okinawa. One of those USMC Divisions is at sea transiting to Balikpapan, so I’ll hold off on this decision until they reach port - and focus recon on north Luzon to confirm my suspicions. Lastly, DD Harding remains a lucky ship - three Kamikazes missed her off Aparri this time. She’ll now cruise to Formosa/Pescadores to hopefully run into trouble.

In SWPAC, the Busuanga landings go in without any response, but the US Para Reg does find the base occupied and will attack next turn. The attack on Manado in Celebes falls to the US 40th Div in the first assault - level 4 forts didn’t save the garrison suffering from lack of supplies. Few combat troops in the garrison remained, mostly support units that were left behind. Only 700 IJA casualties to 175 US which should leave over 5000 IJA troops to be dealt with. The 40th needs to recover fatigue and will rest for a bit. The Naga/Legaspi Amphib TFs depart Talaud accompanied by two CVE and CA TFs. A three division Amphib plus the usual support will head to target, with the US CV TF providing distant cover, although any chance the KB comes south is pretty remote.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, Victoria Point is taken on the Malayan Peninsula, and is the last base to be liberated in Burma. Indian XV Corps troops will continue to slowly march south, and progress is going to be slow largely due to the terrain more than resistance. Allied troops continue to mass in Bangkok, the last pieces slowly assembling for the first attack - the Corps HQ is in place, and supplies are now good, but will wait for the combat engineers to march in; within a week will launch the attack. No rush here as the troops aren’t needed to clear any major force in Indochina - just a rear guard is left, and that is being dealt with by the Allied advanced guard now moving east and southeast from Udon Thani towards Vietnam. Allied troops landed in Vietnam are moving to secure Saigon and moving along Rte 1 towards Hue. The key now is to establish and build up the airbases in Indochina to reposition the Heavy Bomber force.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1315
15-16 Jul 44 - 10/12/2019 9:57:52 PM   
IdahoNYer

15-16 Jul 44

Highlights – US CV strikes find and hit a big convoy in the East China Sea; DD Harding does all too well.

Jpn ships sunk:
DD: 1 (Shiokaze)
TK: 2
AS: 1
xAK: 4
AG: 1
AMc: 1

Air loss:
Jpn: 25
Allied: 10

Subwar:
Allies: 7 Attacks, 2 ships hit (AG sunk, xAK dam)

Bases Liberated:
Tourane (SE Asia)
Kompong Trach (SE Asia)
Busuanga (SWPAC)
Roxas (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: US CVs find and hit an oil laden convoy in the East China Sea so there is still some merchant traffic moving the Home Islands, while no attacks were made against the CV TFs.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, NSTR.

In SOPAC, the CV sortie up toward the East China Sea finds paydirt, with a number of strikes launched against a fat convoy SE of Wenchow. A number of xAKs, TKs and an AV are reported sunk, with another half dozen plus ships left burning. A couple of good strikes over two days, with no CAP. The CVs will head back towards Luzon though. DD Harding’s “death sortie” has turned out to be anything else but so far, she’s engaged some loose merchant traffic at Appari in northern Luzon and off Takao on Formosa - she’ll now head towards Shanghai - hopefully finding a minefield. Also off Aparri, a CA TF (CA, DDs) I sent to bombard Appari ran into DD Shiokaze and an escort departing the port and they were duly sunk. The port was bombarded, but nothing major was gained - the port and AF was unoccupied. On Mindanao, the attack on Davao is about ready and will go in next turn. Lastly, a major change in plans - both the USMC’s 1st and 4th Divisions, along with the associated USMC support troops were off-ramped from the northern Luzon landings and missioned for Okinawa. This will leave the northern Luzon landings to be made with Army only troops - about 2 Divisions and a few separate infantry regiments plus support. They will likely need reinforcements from troops currently in Mindanao to secure both north Luzon and isolate Manila.

In SWPAC, Busuanga is taken by assault, but was undefended by the time of the assault - the air bombardment likely eliminated the co size element left to defend the base. Busuanga will join the bases on Palawan and Panay as the primary fighter bases to cover Luzon - last IJA troops on Panay at Roxas were eliminated and the base secured. On that note, the Legaspi and Naga landings will go in next turn - original plan was for Naga to go in first, then Legaspi, but based on the minimal defense recon has observed, both will go in next turn. Ultimately, these troops - three divisions and supporting troops, will advance up to Manila. I’ve also started to move the Heavies north as Jolo, Kudat, Cotabato and of course Jesselton can support bomber operations.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, one more turn to prepare the attack on Bangkok - one tardy engineer regiment needs to move in. Elsewhere, troops take the abandoned Tourane and should advance on Hue next turn. They will continue north to link up with lead elements advancing out of Thailand and converge on Hanoi/Haiphong. Slow, but steady progress towards Saigon, and the lead two elements will attack Phnom Penh next turn before half of that force turns east toward Saigon, and the rest continue north to link up with the main body of troops near Bangkok. Also, the first Heavies are re-located to Cam Ranh Bay from Burma/Sumatra as more troops continue to come ashore here as well from the DEI. With Trourane taken, they can now rail the 300 or so miles up from Cam Ranh Bay.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1316
RE: 15-16 Jul 44 - 10/14/2019 12:59:14 PM   
jwolf

quote:

DD Harding’s “death sortie” has turned out to be anything else but so far, she’s engaged some loose merchant traffic at Aparri in northern Luzon and off Takao on Formosa - she’ll now head towards Shanghai - hopefully finding a minefield.

Seems kind of unfair: Harding's reward for surviving a suicide mission is to go on an even more hopeless suicide mission!

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1317
RE: 15-16 Jul 44 - 10/15/2019 8:50:14 PM   
IdahoNYer

quote:

quote:

DD Harding’s “death sortie” has turned out to be anything else but so far, she’s engaged some loose merchant traffic at Aparri in northern Luzon and off Takao on Formosa - she’ll now head towards Shanghai - hopefully finding a minefield.

Seems kind of unfair: Harding's reward for surviving a suicide mission is to go on an even more hopeless suicide mission!

I really didn't think trying to sink a DD would be so challenging....wait till you see what she finds next!

(in reply to jwolf)
Post #: 1318
RE: 15-16 Jul 44 - 10/15/2019 8:57:43 PM   
RangerJoe

Send her to Tokyo and sink the entire Japanese Navy there!

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1319
17-18 Jul 44 - 10/15/2019 8:59:57 PM   
IdahoNYer

17-18 Jul 44

Highlights – Naga and Legaspi amphibs go in; Davao taken in second assault.

Jpn ships sunk: None

Air loss:
Jpn: 07
Allied: 29

Subwar:
Allies: 3 Attacks, 0 ships hit

Legaspi (SWPAC)
Naga (SWPAC)
Tandjoengselor (SWPAC)

Bases Liberated:
Davao (SOPAC)
Phnom Penh (SE Asia)
Ubon (SE Asia)
Sibuyan (SWPAC - flipped)
Tagbilaran (SWPAC - flipped)
Tandjoengselor (SWPAC)

SIGINT/Intel: NSTR.

In NOPAC, NSTR.

In CENPAC, DD Harding’s adventure continues all the way to Shangai where she finds a major convoy - which escapes! She’ll now head to Okinawa in hopes of finding her doom to CD batteries or mines. Had I sent her to home port, she’d be there by now!

In SOPAC, Davao is taken in the second assault after a tough fight - level 3 forts helped the defenders, but lack of supply made the difference. After two days, the IJA lost over 4000 men and withdrew east into the jungles while it cost the Allies about 600 men - mostly disabled. Amphib TFs released from Naga and Legaspi will now head to embark troops for the invasion of northern Luzon at Iba and Lingayen. Without the USMC divisions, two US Army divisions and three IN Regiments plus support will make the landings. Additional follow on forces will be brought in as well, but exactly how many and when with be determined by how long Cagayan holds out.

In SWPAC, troops land without much issue at both Naga and Legaspi and will attack to secure the bases next turn - they look to be minimally garrisoned, so no major naval bombardment or air attacks will take place. CV TFs maintain overwatch off the coast, but so far, no Kamikazes have been thrown into the fight. As mentioned, Amph TFs will depart to embark Luzon bound troops, while the supporting CVE and CA TFs will remain for a while at Legaspi and Naga until AFs can become operational to maintain CAP for follow on engineers and support troops. And again, the venerable Aussie 2/9 Cdo dropped in and secured the undefended base of Tandjoengselor near Tarakan.

In China, NSTR.

In SE Asia, well….Bangkok attack goes in next turn. Fingers crossed! Elsewhere, troops continue to advance in Indochina taking Phnom Penh and reaching the outskirts of Hue, and begin to advance directly on Saigon. Will need to look a bit closer at garrison requirements in these recently liberated bases, as I really don’t want to keep a 100+ AV Bde garrisoning a 20 AV requirement. So a few of the Bdes making the advances are for now being forced to garrison gains. Will look to bring on some battalions or perhaps some engineers with combat value to take on the garrison requirements. In Malaya, the advance continues at a slow pace in the jungle terrain south of Victoria Point.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 1320
Page:   <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: 25-26 Jun 44 Page: <<   < prev  42 43 [44] 45 46   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI