Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

UV Newbie Stuff

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> UV Newbie Stuff Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
UV Newbie Stuff - 7/4/2003 1:05:21 PM   
CaptBeefheart

[Wow, do I feel stupid, I put this in WITP originally.]

Hello Gentlemen,

This game rocks. I checked quite a few threads but may have missed this - so my apologies to all if this has been covered. Anyway, I've done a coupla scenarios against the AI and would like to do PBEM against you SoPac geniuses out there before too long. In the meantime, I've seen a few things that may be features or may be bugs. Here goes:

1. Why do base force units tend to lose aviation support strength once they've been deployed to PM (I get it, to the cognoscenti "PM" means "Port Moresby") or elsewhere? I'm talking more than twice as many supply points as required or more and still over time the AS points dwindle. These units seem to lose strength and require new base force units to be sent to keep those high qual P-39s flying. Actually, a full explanation of how base force units gain or lose strength would be appreciated.

2. Why do other units, in very well-supplied bases, tend to lose strength points over time?

3. How can I remedy this problem?

4. Why did SOPAC HQ get 95% eviscerated when I airlifted it to Irau from Luganville? (I.e. it went to 10 aviation and no regular support points from whatever).

You folks are about as erudite and edumacated as I've seen on the Internet, so I look forward to your responses. Best regards.

Gotta love beer,

CC

Edit: Hey, how do you guys get the cool pictures under your names? Remember, I'm a half-luddite!

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.
Post #: 1
- 7/4/2003 2:13:51 PM   
madflava13

CC,
Your units are dwindling in strength because of a number of factors. I don't know your specific situation, but the bases you mentioned are malarial bases so your units lose strength as a result. You need to rotate in fresh troops occasionally to let the units rest and refit. Also, you may need more supply. Units without supply lose their strength at an alarming rate. This goes for air units as well. The key is rotation of your units. This becomes hard at PM though (at least against a human opponent) because it's very easy to interdict the Allied reinforcements.

Don't worry about asking questions that may have been asked before - no one here will bite your head off, although some of the Australian types might make the occasional drunken comment... hehe.

"The Paraguayan Air Force's request for spraying subsidies was not as Paraguayan as it were..."

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 2
- 7/4/2003 5:11:12 PM   
AmiralLaurent

1) and 2) Almost every base on the map is malarial and squads will be disabled by disease and climate every time. You have to rotate them for rest in Australia/New Caledonia or Truk. It is not especially easy in PM.

3) Remedy: the greater the base, the less malaria your troops suffer. Also having far more supplies than the number required is a good thing. Both of these measures apply of course to bases that are not under the threat of an imminent successful invasion, or you will just give your opponent a better base with supplies in it.
But malaria will always claim its toll (in WWII, it disabled more men during the Guadalcanal campain than the Japanese).

4) two solutions : there is sometimes a bug that an unit will disappear at the end of an airlift. Or you have have 95% of your unit still at Irau and only 5% have been airlifted until now. And Irau is not the place for SOPAC HQ in my opinion.

Post #: 3
- 7/5/2003 3:52:24 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Thanks, guys. I hadn't realized it was malaria - but it certainly makes sense and is realistic. In this case PM has always had beaucoups supply. I'll keep an eye on attrition vs. base size and supply in future.

I doublechecked the SOPAC HQ situation and it looks like it's a victim of the airlift bug. It's in Luganville with only 4 aviation support points and nothing else (it doesn't seem to be growing and there's no SOPAC HQ in the reinforcement queue). I had tried to airlift it to Irau. Thus, it seems to have never made it to Irau or disappeared after arriving - I didn't check at the time. Anyway, every base in the Solomons is light on support as a result, which really isn't an issue vs. the computer, but would be vs. a human IJN.

I read in the manual that base forces should grow until they match the size of the airfield (up to 250 aviation support units). Has anyone noted this phenomenon outside of Noumea or Australia or is the malaria effect stronger?

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

Post #: 4
- 7/5/2003 11:34:11 AM   
Philwd

Hi Commander,
Glad to see another desert rat here!

Your base forces don't grow. They are what you start with. If you are playing the AI theirs may grow slowly. This was changed a while back and it sounds like the manual is out of date. The Allies get so many big ones to start with its not a big deal. Not so with the IJN.

Quark

Post #: 5
- 7/5/2003 11:54:12 PM   
Admiral_Arctic

One way to reduce malaria is to move the supply to the base first if possible. Then move in the troops after that. That way you can keep the infantry in a non-malaria hex until really needed and maybe save ten turns of exposure. But if you don't have the turn around time for two or more trips, move then men first.

Also you can reduce supply useage at a base. In exposed bases like PM, decide before the game starts as to what you intend to do. If you are only defending a base to deny it to the enemy, you might want to only build the forts, so switch off the port and airbase builders. You might want to withdraw the engineers too, because they burn up supplies while repairing the airfield and port that you have no intension of using.

I'm a hazard to myself.

Want. Take. Have.

Post #: 6
- 7/6/2003 2:45:26 AM   
Snigbert

[B]Edit: Hey, how do you guys get the cool pictures under your names? Remember, I'm a half-luddite![/B]

I dont know how to get a 'cool' picture, since all I have is a picture I took of one of my fish from my fish tank...but to add an avatar picture you click on 'user cp' in the line of buttons on the upper right of the screen, then click on user options tab. Avatars is down at the bottom.

By the way, could anyone tell that my avatar was a picture of a fish?

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

Post #: 7
- 7/6/2003 8:44:17 PM   
dwesolick

Hey Snig,

No, no one could tell it was a fish, we all thought it was a picture of your last girlfriend :eek:

Your new logo is much better anyway. It's good to come out of the "closet" and be proud of your Leatherneck heritage! :D

See you in SOPAC (soon, I hope).

"The Navy has a moth-eaten tradition that the captain who loses his ship is disgraced. What do they have all those ships for, if not to hurl them at the enemy?" --Douglas MacArthur

Post #: 8
- 7/7/2003 1:13:38 AM   
Snigbert

[B]No, no one could tell it was a fish, we all thought it was a picture of your last girlfriend[/B]

Heheh, not too far off. :)

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

Post #: 9
- 7/7/2003 7:29:06 AM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Snigbert
[B][B]No, no one could tell it was a fish, we all thought it was a picture of your last girlfriend[/B]

Heheh, not too far off. :) [/B][/QUOTE]I hate trouser trout.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> UV Newbie Stuff Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI