Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Suggestion instead of mobility

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Suggestion instead of mobility Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Suggestion instead of mobility - 11/1/2019 11:56:12 PM   
Mercutio

There has been some discussion as to whether mobility is valuable or not. I had a thought about this. It may not be the best idea, but I put it to the group.

Really mobility is about the infantry (or should be IMO). You have heavy tanks, tanks, mechanized infantry. How does mobility somehow make them faster? The tanks and half tracks don't get superchargers! Really it is about trucks vs foot.

So the suggestion. Add a unit type of Mobile Infantry (or whatever you wish to call it) that cost somewhere between mechanized infantry and regular infantry.

I know, I know, that won't let you upgrade your corp or army. Really though, you can't upgrade them to mechanized with half tracks either.

I don't think making a truck was a large technological feat even in 1940.

Post #: 1
RE: Suggestion instead of mobility - 11/2/2019 11:19:42 AM   
Xsillione

One truck, not a feat, thousands or hundreds of thousands, in time, for low cost, while still acceptable quality, no easy feat even today. Mobile infantry is just that, normal infantry with truck, so mobility do it well. And ho to make tanks faster: they are not the same tanks, they are faster versions of the base tank, think of it as a large investment and R&D into engine tech. If anything, it might could get a second lvl, or third, with lvl two doing nothing, and lvl three adding one more AP.

(in reply to Mercutio)
Post #: 2
RE: Suggestion instead of mobility - 11/2/2019 12:07:09 PM   
otumfuo2

Agree that a mobility upgrade is realistic. It's surprising how much even of the German army relied on horses for transport, so trucks for the infantry is a reasonable upgrade. For the armored units, I don't think it's so much building faster tanks, as making sure that the supply columns are completely motorized, and big enough to keep a rapidly moving armored column supplied.

(in reply to Xsillione)
Post #: 3
RE: Suggestion instead of mobility - 11/3/2019 6:16:04 PM   
ElvisJJonesRambo

Walk the line.

Germans really have to decide what Tech to specialize in. Have some fun, pay the price for some Elite Troops & suggest lead an Army Group into Russia.

Without Him, I could do nothing
Without Him, I'd surely fail
Without Him, I would be drifting
Like a ship without a sail

(in reply to otumfuo2)
Post #: 4
RE: Suggestion instead of mobility - 11/5/2019 1:29:32 AM   
Captjohn757

IMHO, the mobility tech works fine just the way it is. It provides action points, which complement a unit's normal movement allowance by overcoming some of the effects of difficult terrain, bad weather, zones of control, etc., and permitting attacks that might otherwise be prohibited (by lack of sufficient action points). I don't see a compelling reason to make a change. It's not that expensive since the tech needs to be researched only to one level and the upgrade applied only once.

(in reply to ElvisJJonesRambo)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command WWII: World at War >> Suggestion instead of mobility Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI