Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 8:23:09 PM   
Chocolino

This will be a report on a PBEM game with gwgardner playing the Allies and myself as the Axis.

gwgardner was a play tester for WarPlan and I consider myself a newbie at this game - so I expect to be taught a sharp lesson.

My opponent offered of course to not read this AAR during the course of the game (and that would be standard procedure). But in this game I actually invite him to read it if he wishes. I hope this will allow him to add the other side's perspective and comment on any follies I may (will likely) commit - well - other than starting a game against him in the first place. But because of this I will post a bit delayed and may not discuss long term strategy (as if I had any ...) to keep an element of surprise for him.

NOTE: there are some pics missing in the early war that Matrix could not recover after a system crash. But it continues with pictures shortly thereafter.

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 12/1/2019 2:48:54 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 8:37:08 PM   
Chocolino

9-1-39
The Reich is encircled by enemies of the worst kind - Capitalists and Communists in the West and East respectively. Only a preventive strike and break the stranglehold. The Axis decides to liberate Europe once and for all - and the Poles will be the first to receive the benefits of our benevolent efforts.

Danzig welcomed us with open gates and Poznan required a bit more convincing. Several Polish units were mauled but most survived. Krakow was not attacked and German units just moved into position.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 2
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 9:21:40 PM   
Chocolino

9-15-39

The German submarine fleet was sent to convoy routes in the Atlantic. However, many skippers did apparently not receive the memo to remain in raider mode. As a results they intercepted bravely but foolhardily the Royal Navy which is now in the process of happily wiping out the remainder of the German U-Boat force. Well, we did hit back on the Revenge just a little bit ....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 3
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 9:28:47 PM   
Chocolino

9-15-39

Meanwhile in Poland German Generals were under enormous pressure to finish the campaign. Most cities fell to organized infantry attacks but Warsaw required a mad tank attack which finally was successful. This saved 2 weeks but critics within the German HQ are not sure it was worth the cost in casualties.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 4
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 9:34:59 PM   
Chocolino

9-15-39

In the south a lonely and yet unidentified polish mountain unit tries to steal a march on Bratislava. Since Polish surrender is not certain (not sure - maybe it is) the Germans railroad an infantry division into Bratislava.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 5
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/6/2019 9:42:46 PM   
Chocolino

9-15-39

For those interested in casualty figures, this is after the Polish campaign. I have no idea what a typical range is and I would assume that many random factors can influence the levels. (will show this only occasionally).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 6
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 12:03:07 PM   
Chocolino

9-29-19

Poland did surrender at the end of the 2nd turn. A small garrison will hold the country for now.

Danish defense was weak and its last city fell this turn. We expect another surrender shortly.

The Luftwaffe was ordered to Denmark for a variety of missions both in support of land and naval operations.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 7
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 12:07:41 PM   
Chocolino

9-29-19

The German submarine force did have a dark day as U13 decided (again disobeying raider orders) to interdict the RN and was sunk by the cruiser London off the coast of Iceland.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 12:08:13 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 8
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 2:18:38 PM   
Chocolino

10-13-39

Often the weather fails at this time of the year. But we are in luck - there is only "regular" rain over Oslo allowing for air operations over the Norwegian capital.

The Kriegsmarine sailed into the Skagerrak in support of an amphibious landing near Oslo.

A German infantry division was set on special rations (increased replacements, indicated by cross on unit) and also oversupplied using trucks (causing the little green square on the unit counter) to be fit for this task.

Ground Support Aircraft weakened the Norwegian defenders for the ensuing battle (was only a 3:2 odds before this).

A lot of effort for a single minor country. But we hope to secure the Norwegian coast for an air war with the RN and to protect convoy raiders in the Arctic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 2:53:39 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 9
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 2:25:59 PM   
Chocolino

10-13-39

Norway surrendered - but the British reaction on their next turn was decisive. They moved to occupy the remaining Norwegian ports themselves.

The Brits were successful in Bergen. But at Stavanger German aircraft (set to full mission, naval target) interdicted the British during their turn and destroyed the British 12th div. during landing operations.

(The picture is taken on the next Axis turn with the Axis now landing a unit in Stavanger themselves which they could not do before the Norwegian surrender).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 2:28:41 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 10
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 2:34:17 PM   
Chocolino

10-13-39

Additional British fleets have been seen near Narvik and Trondheim which are as yet still unoccupied. But the British fleets may interfere with further German landings there - so the Germans abstain from sending more units to these ports for now.

There was also supply interdiction of these ports which I assume does not matter since the Germans don't use the ports for supply. (But if anybody knows of any further significance I would like to know.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 11
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 2:49:25 PM   
Chocolino

10-13-39

There is much hubris in the German high command after their initial victories against minor countries. Hawks recommend a (premature) attack on the Netherlands while most German aircraft are still in Denmark. Even though two Panzerkorps lead the attack it makes little progress.

In the meanwhile the British have started their strategic bombing campaign. For the loss of one heavy bomber they destroyed 2 production at Cologne.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 2:50:08 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 12
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 4:11:55 PM   
AlbertN

Not to dissipate hopes - but presently it seems there is a bug that screws over fleets in raiding mode, getting them back to regular fleet move. Hence the submarines intercept anything that moves closeby (and usually get sunk).

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 13
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 5:10:52 PM   
Chocolino

Yes, I knew this from other PBEMs. But I role-played it that the Captains did not receive the orders etc.

I am sure this will be fixed in the upcoming patch - and thanks for letting me know.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 14
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 8:19:12 PM   
Chocolino

10-27-39

Interesting developments: While the British oppose the Axis in Norway, the French landed support at the Dutch coast just north of Amsterdam.

However, leading elements of the Luftwaffe have returned from Denmark by now and with their aid did Amsterdam fall nonetheless this turn. We hope it is enough to force a Dutch surrender (again not sure about the exact requirements).

But once the Dutch do surrender this French infantry corps will remain in Holland and will have to be dealt with.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 8:22:40 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 15
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 8:49:11 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cohen_slith

Not to dissipate hopes - but presently it seems there is a bug that screws over fleets in raiding mode, getting them back to regular fleet move. Hence the submarines intercept anything that moves closeby (and usually get sunk).

Yeah, I'm going to follow a house rule from now on, that I won't tempt those subs into intercepting my fleets. It's not how the game was intended to run.

(in reply to AlbertN)
Post #: 16
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/7/2019 9:31:01 PM   
Chocolino

Don't worry - I have resigned myself to the fact that the subs are lost. But I've hoped to take a few British merchantmen with me. But that will not happen, though in fleet mode.

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/7/2019 9:33:33 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 17
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/8/2019 12:01:04 PM   
Chocolino

11-10-39

The Netherlands surrendered after the fall of Amsterdam. The Germans also eliminated the french corps near Amsterdam. It was already weak but we could have probably let it sit without supplied for a few rounds longer to weaken it further.

The Germans took these 2 weeks to regroup and did not immediately declare war on Belgium.

The British continued also their strategic bombing campaign totaling 3 hits in 2 attacks. This represents a cumulative damage of 6 production at a repair rate of 1 per turn (if I understand the system correctly).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/8/2019 12:02:50 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 18
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/8/2019 12:05:17 PM   
Chocolino

11-10-39

Meanwhile in Norway the British completed their occupation of the northern ports (but Oslo and Stavanger are still in German hands).

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 19
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/8/2019 8:40:18 PM   
Chocolino

11-24-39

The Axis does declare war on Belgium and occupies a few hexes - approaching Brussels. The ground was frozen which is the best one can hope for at this time of year. For completeness sake - Luxembourg was occupied as well.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 20
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/8/2019 10:08:14 PM   
Chocolino

12-8-39

The weather is still in our favor since the frost continues. The Axis occupies Brussels but French units cross the Belgian border to defend forward.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 21
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/8/2019 10:11:37 PM   
Chocolino

12-8-39

Only a side show by now but the war in the Atlantic continues where German subs are subject to British Carrier strikes this week (below pic is off the coast of Portugal). There are very few German subs left but we expect some new ones shortly.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 22
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 12:57:57 AM   
Chocolino

12-22-39

The Belgians surrendered after the fall of Brussels.

The frost has given way to rain and the Germans slog through the mud. All they can achieve is to damage and push a single French corps defending within Belgium.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 23
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 1:04:40 AM   
Chocolino

12-22-39

The Swedish reported that they are unable to deliver the promised Iron Ore this turn. Both possible routes are blocked to them - one by weather (Baltic frozen) and the other by the unhelpful British who refuse to let the Ore pass through Narvik.

(Since I am new to the game this did come as a surprise. But I think it is great that the occupation of Narvik actually means something in economic terms - as it did way back then. Great game design. And for the Germans it is not the end of the world - spring will come and the Baltic will thaw again.)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/9/2019 1:05:45 AM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 24
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 1:06:30 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chocolino
This represents a cumulative damage of 6 production at a repair rate of 1 per turn (if I understand the system correctly).

Yes but Alvaro inferred in a recent post that repairs are about half production costs. So his 2 bomber points will cost him 20 to repair. Strategic bombing is prohibitively expensive early game.

Jim

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 25
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 1:22:31 AM   
Chocolino

Thanks for the info - that makes me already feel a little bit better about it.

Thinking about it and to be thorough the Axis has to factor in the hits on the defensive air units as well - although and admittedly these are not quite as expensive as strategic bomber groups. So I hope the Axis still comes out ahead.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 26
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 4:21:58 PM   
Chocolino

1-5-40

A new year but the same rainy weather. The Germans focus on a single attack - the slightly more exposed French corps south of Antwerp and force it to retreat.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 27
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 4:34:48 PM   
Chocolino

1-5-40

There is still a French defender in Belgium but the Germans have now reached the French border in most places. Hence we consider the campaign for the low countries at an end and tally the losses.

The German loss level after Poland was 24-1-6. I find especially the land losses (now 65) fairly high - but again there is not much comparison yet.

The 10 British land losses represent their sunk amphibious landing unit (Stavanger, Norway).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/9/2019 4:36:23 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 28
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 5:07:43 PM   
Chocolino

1-19-39

The weather turns to storms and German effectiveness is at an all time low. The Luftwaffe is grounded but a German Panzerkorps pushes into France proper for the first time. However, road conditions are so poor that no German unit can fill its gap leaving the German tanks a bit exposed if the French should rush to fill the gap in the German line.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 29
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/9/2019 9:51:22 PM   
Chocolino

2-2-40

A welcome frost at the French-Belgian border. Still the Germans can capture just two more hexes. The goal is to get to favorable jumping off positions once the good weather starts.

The French actually moved into the gap in the German line (seen on previous post) but they did not attack the semi-surrounded German tank. Perhaps they still did not like the odds. But now the Germans were able to shatter the exposed French corps and close the gap again.

The French have now achieved a very solid defensive line where no French unit can be attacked by more than 2 German units (except the one hex near Luxembourg which is part of the Maginot line).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/9/2019 9:53:44 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI