Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/7/2019 1:00:53 PM   
Daniele

Welcome to this first Strategic Command WWI Dev Diary, covering the Deployment Phase, its basics and dynamics.

Stay tuned and check out SC WWI Product page for further information!

Introduction

In August 1914, the first of the 20th century’s great conflicts began, with Germany and Austria-Hungary on one side against Serbia, France and Russia on the other. Soon more countries would enter the war including Belgium, the UK and the Ottoman Empire before the end of 1914, the Italians in 1915, followed by Bulgarians, Romanians and even the USA all before the end of 1917.

With so many active fronts all at once, including 3 main fronts at the start of hostilities, an optimal balance and deployment of troops was essential towards victory for either of the Entente or Central Powers sides.

Eastern Front

Southern Front

Western Front

Strategic Deployments

While the main German strategy was to deliver a quick and decisive blow to the French in the first six weeks of the war, followed by a quick transfer east to do the same on the Russian front, players will have the option to alter some initial and critical deployments via the Deployment Phase in order to possibly re-write history for the Central Powers side.

The Deployment Phase feature will prompt players to place these units at their preferred map locations, prior to game start, and these units will then immediately be ready and active for combat on the very first turn of the game.

Deployment Phase

Crucial First Moves

The fluidity of territorial exchange on the Eastern Front, versus the eventual static nature of the war on the Western Front has highlighted, with hindsight, that the decisions made in the first few months of the war by the Central Powers, were absolutely critical to the eventual outcome of the war.

Had the German General Staff maintained ideal ratios for a decisively successful Schlieffen Plan through Belgium and into France, or had the Austro-Hungarians not been forced to split their forces between Serbia and Russia, the outcome may indeed have been different.

The use of the Deployment Phase, as well as several in game DECISIONS on various troop deployments, will give players the chance to test the different strategic military decisions that the commanders of the day similarly faced in the early days of the war.

Strategic Command World War I, through a combination of tactical and strategic gameplay, presents players, all within the first few turns of the game, the opportunity and excitement to fully understand the crucial early decisions necessary to win World War I.

NEXT: CAVALRY, RAPID ADVANCES, FORTIFIED LINES AND TRENCHES

< Message edited by Daniele -- 12/3/2019 7:58:28 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/7/2019 8:42:21 PM   
ArtDen

Great news!

But I see you have significant simplified complexity of map on the Western front in compare with a classical title. It's a pity. No Namur, Ostend, Arras and etc. Less hexes and closer to Paris. My opinion - previous map was better.

< Message edited by ArtDen -- 11/8/2019 5:02:05 AM >

(in reply to Daniele)
Post #: 2
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/8/2019 4:52:54 AM   
ArtDen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ArtDen

Great news!

But I see you have significand simplified complexity of map on the Western front in compare with a classical title. It's a pity.
No Namur, Ostend, Arras and etc. Less hexes and more easy to achieve Paris.

For compare
[image]

[/image]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to ArtDen)
Post #: 3
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/8/2019 4:59:59 AM   
ArtDen

Some questions.

1) Do we have a choice for deployment phase for every country? Not only Germany and Austria but Russia and France had different mobilization plans too.
2) How many troops can be redeploy before the of start the game? As it was in Call to Arms scenario - just 3-4 units?
3) Can we expect a scenario with full free deployment for every major country?

< Message edited by ArtDen -- 11/8/2019 8:02:24 AM >

(in reply to ArtDen)
Post #: 4
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/8/2019 7:24:26 PM   
xwormwood

quote:

Great news!

But I see you have significant simplified complexity of map on the Western front in compare with a classical title. It's a pity. No Namur, Ostend, Arras and etc. Less hexes and closer to Paris. My opinion - previous map was better.

A larger map would be nice indeed, but I guess this ship has already sailed.
:(

@ Danielle:
can you by any chance offer pictures with a higher resolution?
I would love to share these pictures at GamersGlobal.de, but there is a limitation which prohibits to upload pictures with a resolution below 1280x720.

< Message edited by xwormwood -- 11/8/2019 7:32:43 PM >

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to ArtDen)
Post #: 5
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/9/2019 7:10:52 PM   
BillRunacre

quote:

Some questions.

1) Do we have a choice for deployment phase for every country? Not only Germany and Austria but Russia and France had different mobilization plans too.
2) How many troops can be redeploy before the of start the game? As it was in Call to Arms scenario - just 3-4 units?
3) Can we expect a scenario with full free deployment for every major country?

Hi

1) Just Germany uses the deployment phase, but there are quite a few Decisions spread over the different countries for their own deployment. Generally these occur after the war has begun, whereas Germany's initial deployment has to be decided for the first shots are fired.

2) 6 German units can be deployed in the deployment phase.

3) This is technically possible but I think I'll leave this to a modder to do and then share if it works.

< Message edited by BillRunacre -- 11/9/2019 7:11:49 PM >

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to ArtDen)
Post #: 6
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/10/2019 3:41:00 PM   
xwormwood

Just from looking on one of the screenshots: the Generals Name is von Bülow.

"You will be dead, so long as you refuse to die" (George MacDonald)

(in reply to BillRunacre)
Post #: 7
RE: Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase - 11/10/2019 6:30:19 PM   
BillRunacre

Thanks Claus, I've changed that my side now.

Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/

(in reply to xwormwood)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Strategic Command Series >> Strategic Command: World War I >> Developer Diary #1 - Deployment Phase Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI