Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pre-War Builds

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Pre-War Builds Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pre-War Builds - 7/7/2003 11:36:36 PM   
timewalker03

When I was in the Air Force I played with a group of Gamers that played with a rule varient of having a Pre-War build prior to the start of the game. The reinforcements would then be available at the next economic interphase for Infantry, and 5 months for the cav. The reasoning I was given for this was if a nation planned to go to war then they would plan reinforcements for war.
Post #: 1
- 7/8/2003 12:13:46 AM   
Supervisor

Interesting idea and certainly sound in it's logic. There is no doubt in my mind, that nations would have done a builds in 1804. It's not like they are just going to sit around. Nice post.

(in reply to timewalker03)
Post #: 2
- 7/8/2003 12:31:47 AM   
Reknoy

We played with a similar house rule on occasion.

Agreed that it makes sense. I think the question might be, what were the historic OOBs for the MPs back in 1805, and does the game reflect a pre-1805 build?

I mean to say, to allow a build has obvious effects on the first six months of the game (France has room to fill out its guard three months earlier, which is one of the main strengths of an allied push in early 1805, imo).

Post #: 3
- 7/8/2003 12:47:14 AM   
soapyfrog

You mean the early and also highly ahistorical allied push in early 1805? ;)

Post #: 4
- 7/8/2003 12:52:59 AM   
Reknoy

Yes! :)

It's funny, too, because when I play France I never expect to surrender in 1805 and when I play Prussia, Austria or Russia I always expect France to surrender in 1805. ;)

Post #: 5
- 7/8/2003 1:54:48 PM   
John Umber

[B]Early war[/B]

A correct observation. If the allied (Prussia, Austria, Russia and GB) attacks early in 1805, the french are in trouble. If France can avoid the major (stack battle) for six months and prepare some guards, he is slowly turning the table to his advantage. But he is seriously outnumbered. The allies can take most of the minor nations and start flooding the border.

The french even with the Napoleon leader have serious problems. If the allies can put Napoleon to battle and prepare three stacks, combination of pr, au and ru, then they just put them within reach from each other and fight three fast battles without reinforcements. The brittish threatening Paris to avoid further French attacks. If possible the spanish player can attack from the south. Napoleon will probably win battle number one and two, but the loss of men will put in on retreat after battle number three, which he normaly loses. The trick is gathering the forces without Napoleon taking them one by one. Here is the feared double move very useful for the french.

Always let Napoleon attack the first round and preferably in a nice terrain. The allies are after losses, not moralty victory. This can give a french surrender in 1805.

If France attacks fast and hard, he/she can take out one of Prussia or Austria before the allies can prepare a strong defence. It is a touch and go...

John Umber

Post #: 6
- 7/9/2003 2:16:48 AM   
puff_daddy_58_9

I think the developpers took into consideration the pre-war buildup, which is shown in the allocation of armies which we start with in the game.

I have never used a pre-war build, and probably won't, since I think it takes away the spirit of the game ie. dealing with what the nations had (approximately) at the same time.

Post #: 7
Pre-war Build - 7/9/2003 3:57:35 AM   
timewalker03

Thanks for the input. I was always confused about the validity of the build but I wanted to play and it wasn't my house. Getting a 7 player game together is sometimes nearly impossible where I live. So I gave in to the build to have the fun of playing the game. Thanks again for the input

Post #: 8
- 7/9/2003 7:50:56 AM   
YohanTM2

I think Puff Daddy is on the mark and most of the reserves are up and marching. A pre-build might be an interesting option but I'd prefer not to pick it.

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Empires in Arms the Napoleonic Wars of 1805 - 1815 >> Pre-War Builds Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI