Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Why is Tacview a separate purchase?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Why is Tacview a separate purchase? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:14:14 PM   
dyoox01

I just purchased the game after watching the livestream yesterday.

I didn't realize that Tacview is an add on :( If I am wrong please let me know.

Roughly $120 CDN before the 50% discount. $120 for a game with features that are advertised heavily but sold separately.

Post #: 1
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:15:40 PM   
dyoox01

Damnit. I wish I knew about the Steam Tacview bundle .

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 2
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:15:48 PM   
ultradave

It's a separate program from a separate company. CMO works with it. You can get Tacview or not, as you please, but it's not necessary

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 3
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:29:41 PM   
thewood1

One other point is it was stated in multiple official and unofficial threads that TacView is a separate and optional product produced by a completely separate company.

Straight from the product page...

"Support for real-time Tacview 3D view (NOTE: separate purchase of Tacview Advanced edition required)"

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 4
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:33:11 PM   
dyoox01

Yes I realize that now.

It figured prominently in the livestream I thought it was a new feature they added. Didn't realize it was an add on.

so which version of Tacview is required? I went to their website but CMO is not listed on their page.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 5
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:46:38 PM   
LMychajluk

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

One other point is it was stated in multiple official and unofficial threads that TacView is a separate and optional product produced by a completely separate company.

Straight from the product page...

"Support for real-time Tacview 3D view (NOTE: separate purchase of Tacview Advanced edition required)"

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 6
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/14/2019 11:50:09 PM   
ultradave

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4707629

Scroll down. Link to user interface Part II. Also, the manual.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 7
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 12:02:50 AM   
dyoox01

I was just mesmerized by the livestream and pictures of the 3d views. I just expected it was part of the new engine.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 8
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 8:20:11 AM   
bazjak

quote:

ORIGINAL: dyoox01

I was just mesmerized by the livestream and pictures of the 3d views. I just expected it was part of the new engine.

Me too
I dont have time to read every post and i also thought the 3D views were included
Dam
It might have said in the post but i think it was wrong to do those vids with said program vids as it was misleading or was that the intention (the way marketing works i woundnt be surprised )

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 9
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 9:59:17 AM   
midnight_mangler

Guys seriously! The fact that tacview was a separate purchase was pretty prominent. Certainly it was obvious to me. Read before you buy anything. I don’t think there was any intent to mislead.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 10
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 10:44:22 AM   
thewood1

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

quote:

Me too
I dont have time to read every post and i also thought the 3D views were included
Dam
It might have said in the post but i think it was wrong to do those vids with said program vids as it was misleading or was that the intention (the way marketing works i woundnt be surprised )

Its not just in a post. Its on the page you have to go to just to buy the game. Try reading some basic stuff. You must be disappointed a lot when you buy stuff if reading the basic product page is too much for you. If that's the case what little sympathy I might have had is down to zero.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 11
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 10:46:48 AM   
britten

It was really stated in every possible place that it's a separate purchase.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 12
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 10:58:28 AM   
bazjak

quote:

quote:

quote:

Me too
Dam

Its not just in a post. Its on the page you have to go to just to buy the game. Try reading some basic stuff. You must be disappointed a lot when you buy stuff if reading the basic product page is too much for you. If that's the case what little sympathy I might have had is down to zero.

As i had the original game i really didnt need to read about it i know what the game is all about
I just thought it was part of the more modern and reworked program with new things added
No need to be nasty about it

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 11:44:28 AM   
AntoneT

The Tacview bundle price on Steam will work even after you purchase CMO.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 14
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 11:51:10 AM   
thewood1

"I dont have time to read every post and i also thought the 3D views were included"

and then this...

"the way marketing works i woundnt be surprised"

If you don't have time to read the actual product page, not much to be done for you. But insulting the devs that they are somehow using some kind of "marketing" magic to fool the poor old customer is about as "nasty" as you can get.

(in reply to AntoneT)
Post #: 15
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 12:43:25 PM   
Kushan04

quote:

It was mentioned multiple times during the streams that it was an additional and optional purchase. Think it came up just about every time TacView was shown.

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 16
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 12:53:31 PM   
rmunie0613

Seriously, if you watch a TV ad for a new vehicle, and go purchase the vehicle thinking that you also should get the hot model that was sitting on the hood in the commercial, it is about the same thing here. Not sure how a ***product*** mentioned AS a product multiple times, even in the original post here... "...Tacview (which is a product name lol)...not included.." is so complicated for anyone to understand.

(in reply to Kushan04)
Post #: 17
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 1:30:39 PM   
Rob322

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Me too
Dam

As i had the original game i really didnt need to read about it i know what the game is all about
I just thought it was part of the more modern and reworked program with new things added
No need to be nasty about it

Nasty? You think this reply was nasty? Have you been on the Internet long? Sorry, but listening to someone whine about not getting what they expected when the developers repeatedly told them they weren’t going to get it without separate purchase is, at best, tedious for the rest of us. And then being told that you “didn’t have time” to actually read the materials shifts your comments from the tedious to the moronic. Sounds like you let yourself down there pal.

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 18
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 2:08:09 PM   
mavfin

quote:

Damnit. I wish I knew about the Steam Tacview bundle .

If you bought CMO on Steam, you can still buy the rest of the bundle with the 25% discount on Tacview advanced, because I did that. I bought CMO with the discount on Steam, then got the 25% on Tacview advanced via the bundle after the fact, since the bundle knew I already had CMO.

If you bought CMO on Matrix, my understanding is that you can register it on Steam anyway, and then still get the savings...I'm sure someone can say if I'm right on that or not.

(in reply to dyoox01)
Post #: 19
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 2:18:21 PM   
guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavfin
If you bought CMO on Matrix, my understanding is that you can register it on Steam anyway, and then still get the savings...I'm sure someone can say if I'm right on that or not.

Yup - that's what I did. Bought at Slitherine, registered on Steam, got the "CMO+Tacview Advanced" bundle on Steam.

The bundle only charges for the parts you don't already have i.e. no extra charge for CMO if you're registered it.

Edit:
I should point out - the Steam Tacview Advanced runs fine if I launch it from the Steam UI, but running the Tacview64.exe from the install directory runs the demo version. As this is the executable I pointed CMO at, I don't know what will happen when the demo period is up.

I've emailed Tacview tech support about this earlier; I'll post any info I get on this.

< Message edited by guanotwozero -- 11/15/2019 2:23:28 PM >

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 20
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 2:20:42 PM   
IainMcNeil

Guys lets please keep it civil. We tried to make it clear Tacview was separate but I understand its possible to miss it. I'm not sure what else we could do other than not mention Tacview. it is something we considered for just this reason and actually took out a number of screenshots showing it and tried to be careful how it was worded to avoid misleading anyone.

So in summary I think its fair to say that its possible to buy without knowing it was separate, but not fair to suggest we were deliberately trying to mislead.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 21
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 4:49:43 PM   
mavfin

quote:

ORIGINAL: guanotwozero
Edit:
I should point out - the Steam Tacview Advanced runs fine if I launch it from the Steam UI, but running the Tacview64.exe from the install directory runs the demo version. As this is the executable I pointed CMO at, I don't know what will happen when the demo period is up.

Interesting. I'm not seeing this issue with tacview_64.exe. Perhaps it's something related to the fact that mine's all Steam, no Matrix; i.e. something isn't coming across?

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 22
RE: Why is Tacview a separate purchase? - 11/15/2019 5:44:12 PM   
thewood1

Seems to be an issue with TacView

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4717205

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Why is Tacview a separate purchase? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI