Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[FIXED] Strike Tutorial 3 - Aircraft not dropping bombs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED] Strike Tutorial 3 - Aircraft not dropping bombs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[FIXED] Strike Tutorial 3 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 4:30:45 AM   
Somnus

I'm setting up the missions in the mission editor exactly as suggested in the side briefing for this mission. The strike packages are mostly either 2 ship or 1 ship, so I'm changing to that in the mission editor to avoid the "This mission will not launch" message.

All the aircraft are launching, but they're simply flying to the IP and the release waypoints (which are in the same spot, a little before the airport, rather than IP being before, and the release being on the target), turning around, and heading home. Most never drop their bombs.

Any idea what I might be doing wrong? What do you need to help me troubleshoot this?

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 8/11/2020 11:05:34 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 5:41:44 AM   
mavfin

Well, I'm simply not going to be playing for a while. Too inconsistent. Works perfect one time, the next time it's dropping iron bombs from 36000 feet controlled by a mission, *if* it drops bombs at all. Seems like off-axis attacks don't work at all...

AAW ships are also very inconsistent. One time, they defend themselves fine, the next time they just watch as the missiles come in...

If I still have CMANO for now. Just hope they track down the issues with missions and AAW ships.

< Message edited by mavfin -- 11/17/2019 5:42:37 AM >

(in reply to Somnus)
Post #: 2
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 11:54:13 AM   
DWReese

quote:

All the aircraft are launching, but they're simply flying to the IP and the release waypoints (which are in the same spot, a little before the airport, rather than IP being before, and the release being on the target), turning around, and heading home. Most never drop their bombs.

That's exactly what has happened to me. After arriving at the target, they either remain at 36,000 and circle around, or they RTB. The aircraft logic keeps the plane at 36,000 feet and it refuses to let the plane drop down to at least 35,000 feet which is the cutoff for dropping bombs. (They should be down around 2000 feet, not 36,000 feet.)

(in reply to Somnus)
Post #: 3
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 12:00:52 PM   
DWReese

quote:

AAW ships are also very inconsistent. One time, they defend themselves fine, the next time they just watch as the missiles come in...

This "unit not defending itself" issue is not just limited to AAW planes. Ground SAM units are doing the exact same thing. And, if you use the Editor and switch sides, then you can see that the Weapon is GREEN and is capable of firing, it merely chooses not to do so.

At this point, as you said, there is no consistency. Originally, I thought that it was a database issue, but I have experimented with scenarios that have recently been updated, and they do the exact same thing.

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 4
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 12:23:15 PM   
Dimitris

Thanks! Logged, and we'll give priority to this as it seems to affect a lot of stuff.

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 5
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 5:27:47 PM   
Dimitris

Can you please give this test build a try: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4718291&mpage=1

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 6
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 6:32:16 PM   
ultradave

... deleted, wrong tutorial.

< Message edited by ultradave -- 11/17/2019 7:52:55 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 7
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 6:48:16 PM   
Somnus

The test build didn't work, unfortunately.

I need to make a correction this, this is Strike Tutorial 3, not 4.

You can see here, the flight path created in the mission manager, according to the side briefing text, puts Blue Strike #1's IP and release waypoints (5 and 6) at the same place, outside of the target.

I can manually tell them to attack the target just fine.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 8
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 6:56:29 PM   
msinnot1

Using the Test build attached to this thread, I've experienced some strange and inconsistent results. I ran two separate tests of Tutorial Strike 3 - Complex Strike and had the same experiences both times. What I saw was that a strike mission against the one runway composed of a 2 ship flight armed with anti-runway bombs worked perfectly both times. Medium damage to the runway once and heavy damage on the second run through. However, similar setup strike missions against the tarmacs, ammo pallets, or hangers, using cluster bombs, incendiaries or dumb bombs exhibited the problems described in this thread. In both runs, these strikes would turn around and RTB at the IP point. It looks like these missions would not generate a Release point correctly so the planes would hit IP and return home...

(in reply to Somnus)
Post #: 9
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 7:00:22 PM   
Somnus

Much better wording it than I did! Yes, the first strike against the runway would work, but none of the others would.

(in reply to msinnot1)
Post #: 10
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 8:17:12 PM   
ultradave

Ran this with the new executable. Seems to work ok. Started with the runway attack. Then incindiaries against the Avgas (using just a SHIFT-F1 attack), then set up a mission with 2 x 2 flights of cluster bombs against parking area and control tower. Flights took off, split up into two off axis attacks, IP before the target, dropped their ordnance as expected. The flight paths look much more like what would be expected, not the example above. Sorry I can't do a picture - screen shots and parallels desktop aren't cooperating, but the save is from just before the 3rd strike with cluster bombs.

From my previous post, Tutorial 4 works. However, flying NOE, ignore plotted course was set to NO by default, so that there is some manipulation to be done to get the Harriers to attack the targets. They will stay NOE even after an attack order, unless you uncheck terrain following and uncheck manual override. This isn't mentioned in the tutorial instructions. BUT, it appears to me that the aircraft behaved as they were told to do by the parameters set, and did in fact attack once I "fixed" the parameters.

Hope that helps.

Attached is the 3rd strike mission save (cluster bombs).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by ultradave -- 11/17/2019 8:22:07 PM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to Somnus)
Post #: 11
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 8:24:18 PM   
Somnus

Did you set up the flight paths though, or just create missions in the mission editor like the side briefing instructs?

If I manually order them to attack, like using a SHIFT-F1 attack, it does work. But if just using the mission editor to set it up, that's where issues occur. The same thing happened when I moved on to Strike Tutorial 4

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 12
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 8:41:20 PM   
ultradave

I used the Mission Editor for the strike that is about to happen in the save, and the attack goes through successfully. For the previous one (which is before this save), I just used SHIFT-F1. That worked also.

In #4, I did not use the Mission Editor because of the low level flying. I manually attacked using SHIFT-F1, with one plane at each 2 targets, 1 bomb allocated per target. Approaching at NOE level, no attack happened. Tried to change altitude up to 15K or so, and nothing happened. Then I realized that Ignore Plotted Course was set to NO. When I restarted from a save, set Ignore to YES, manually allocated, both aircraft climbed and attacked their appropriate targets. I think it's just the scenario that needs some tweaking to parameters, or more instructions on how to handle the aircraft as they approach the target. I did NOT use the Mission Editor for this one, figuring that the SAMs would make short work of the Harriers before they could get to the target. So like I said above, it appears they are behaving as the scenario parameters demand.

< Message edited by ultradave -- 11/17/2019 8:47:21 PM >

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to Somnus)
Post #: 13
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 8:47:50 PM   
mavfin

Yeah, I ran the old Basic Air Operations, 1983 from CMANO in CMO with the new build. MUCH better. Still a few glitches, but, strike missions and SAMs/AAW ship auto-engage is a lot better.
Still some small issues, of course, but not the game-breaking stuff there was before this build.

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 14
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/17/2019 10:06:58 PM   
JOhnnyr

quote:

ORIGINAL: mavfin

Yeah, I ran the old Basic Air Operations, 1983 from CMANO in CMO with the new build. MUCH better. Still a few glitches, but, strike missions and SAMs/AAW ship auto-engage is a lot better.
Still some small issues, of course, but not the game-breaking stuff there was before this build.

Can you elaborate on the other issues you are seeing?

(in reply to mavfin)
Post #: 15
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 11/21/2019 5:52:09 AM   
Dimitris

All, please have a look here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=4720590

(in reply to JOhnnyr)
Post #: 16
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 12/15/2019 2:50:48 PM   
Dimitris

Is this still an issue with the current public version?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 8/10/2020 9:31:20 PM   
SteveMcClaire

I've been investigating this as an open issue but can't reproduce the problem with the flight plan updating so that aircraft don't drop bombs. If anyone is still seeing this in the current build please let me know. Thanks!

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 18
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 8/11/2020 1:13:38 AM   
thewood1

I remember this being fixed in one of the updates at one point.

(in reply to SteveMcClaire)
Post #: 19
RE: Strike Tutorial 4 - Aircraft not dropping bombs - 8/11/2020 10:55:25 AM   
ultradave

Agreed. I think this was fixed a while back. I haven't noticed anything similar recently.

----------------
Dave A.

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [FIXED] Strike Tutorial 3 - Aircraft not dropping bombs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI