Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Fleet stack bug

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Fleet stack bug Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 3:24:06 PM   
Jim D Burns

There is a bug with fleet stacks in game. In my AAR, I had combat ships at Gibralter and Oran and invasion transports at Algiers. I moved the combat ships dividing them into four fleets to southern Sardinia and then moved the invasion transports to the hexes with the fleets to invade. The transports actions were zeroed out and they were not allowed to land due to entering the fleet stacks hex.

Next turn each stack unloaded one transport (no other units except the transports were selected) and that action zeroed out the actions for every single other unit in the stacks.

You can easily test this. I had troops transiting from the US to England. I moved a fleet into a port with other troops already aboard transports that hadn't moved yet. Upon arrival at the port, all actions of the transports in port were zeroed out. I undid my move, but the transports actions were still zeroed out. There is a major issue with fleet stacks effecting the actions of non-acting units in the stack.

Jim

< Message edited by Jim D Burns -- 11/18/2019 3:43:01 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 4:37:03 PM   
NativeTexan

I have noticed this issue also.

If a fleet joins another fleet, either out to sea or in port, the ships that haven't moved that turn will loss their movement.

Example, I rotate DD's as UK from a convoy route. A DD uses it's 2 step movement arriving at a port that contains another ship (CA). The unmoved ship (CA) now is unable to move (Yes I verified that the DD was not checked while attempting to move the CA) as if it also expended it movement allowance.

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 2
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 6:37:06 PM   
gw15

I noticed that if you combine a sub fleet that has 1 supply with a sub fleet that has 4 supply and then use an oiler then all subs end up being 3 supply.

(in reply to NativeTexan)
Post #: 3
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 6:48:32 PM   
tyronec

I think it is good that it works this way, combine fleets and all components have the same OP points. Nice and simple.
Would be much more complex if you combined fleets, split them up and they had different OP points. To do that you would need to have separate OP points every naval unit. So gets complicated if you combined fleets, had a battle or other action, and then split them up again !

(in reply to gw15)
Post #: 4
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 6:52:58 PM   
Flaviusx

It's like Tyronec says, I can't make up my mind if this is a bug or actually intended to work as is for the reasons he states.

I've known about this game feature for a while and simply assumed it was intended to force fleets to operate as unities from the getgo and adjusted my play accordingly. But it is a little fiddly.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/18/2019 6:54:04 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 5
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 6:58:45 PM   
Hoyt Burrass

I believe is WAD....don't have the rules ref...kind of annoying, but you just have to plan for it...

Roll Tide

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 6
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 7:00:38 PM   
NativeTexan

It is a bug IMHO.

Just because I move one ship to a port, it shouldn't effect the movement of the ships that started in the port as long as they don't try to include the just moved ship.

(in reply to Hoyt Burrass)
Post #: 7
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 7:02:35 PM   
AlvaroSousa

There is a game design reason it was done this way. The way players think they want it will create more problems than it solves and make moves very complex. I know because I already tried it when I was developing the game.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 8
RE: Fleet stack bug - 11/18/2019 9:43:04 PM   
gw15

It's okay. I just won't do that again. A little warning message for new players might help. But I realize that's way down the list.

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Fleet stack bug Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI