Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Purchasing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Purchasing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Purchasing - 7/8/2003 7:57:31 PM   
RobW

OK, a lot of questions on here relate to tactics and "what-ifs". I have problems even before this!!! I have played a number of PBEM games now and not won yet. I know my tactics are not up to much to start with but my purchasing is dire (IMHO).

Question2

1) does anyone have a method on how they do their purchasing. What is a good mix - I try to keep a wide spread but sometimes rely too much on 1 type of weapon (usually relatively static ATGs).

2) do excellent tactics make up for a bad mix of units? Could the likes of Viking2 or RBrunsman win with their tactics playing with a weak force

3) what is the best way to learn - is it PBEM, against the computer or playing both sides myself?
Post #: 1
- 7/8/2003 8:01:45 PM   
Frank W.

1. depends completly on terrain, tactical situation, visibility etc....

2. yes, but in a limit. i would say in desert or open terrain with only infantry and light armor against tigers and panthers don´t help even the best tactics. if you have enough arty and air it would perhaps make a difference then of course.

3. all of it

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 2
- 7/8/2003 11:34:17 PM   
rbrunsman

3) I played solely against the computer for years and years before "finding" PBEM. I contend that if you start a long campaign (with the country of your choice) at an early date against the computer, it forces you to learn good tactics. e.g. There is no sense of invincability when you have PzIIIs with only 37mm guns against Matildas. You can win with inferior equipment (the Germans certainly did in N. Africa).

2) If the force is designed for the terrain, and is a balanced force (i.e. not all tanks, not all infantry, not all jeeps, etc.) as Frank said, I could probably do well no matter what I was given. An equal point game is going to put both players on an even playing field.

1) I check the map. Decide if the field is open or wooded. What's the visibility (low vis = very few AT guns)? Then I come up with general % distribution of armor, infantry and recon (don't skimp on scouts!). I decide if I will be agressive or meticulous in my attack and buy accordingly.

Quick tips:
Learn what your equipment can do for you and what it cannot.
Know the strengths and weaknesses of each country. (I know the Germans and US equipment, but I'm only good at killing Russian equipment, not using it).
Understand the possible consequences of each of your actions.
Offer sacrifical lambs to draw your opponent away from your key equipment (I do this all the time).
Keep track of what you've seen of your opponent's forces and what you've killed. You can thereby determine if he has a large force in reserve, if he is weak, etc. (This takes time and I'm sure V2 doesn't do this because he plays so quickly. But meticulous care is what makes me good.)

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 3
Hmm - 7/9/2003 1:06:07 AM   
Gary Tatro

Purchasing 101

First determine how many points you have. Take 10% and buy only artilary. Next if allowed in your game buy aircraft. Take the rest of your points and devide it up equally. Into three areas. Infantry, Armor, and Support.

Infantry areas include-Motor cycle units, infantry, AT-infantry, MG's, Calvery and sometimes halftracks, recon infantry and don't forget infiltrators.

Armor includes- tracked anti-tank tanks, Recon tanks, armored cars, Assualt tanks, light, medium and heavy tanks, flame tanks, and engineering tanks.

Support units- ATG's, SPAA, Halftracks, trucks, FO's, ammo trucks, ammo depots, anti-air craft (both tracked and stationary),

Typical breakdown in a 6000 point game with 2 sections of air would be like this
A0 HQ -- 200 points
Artillary -- 600 points
Aircraft -- 200 points
Armor -- 1666 points
Infantry -- 1666 points
Support -- 1666 points
Total -- 6000 points

Now you will lean one way or the other depending upon terrain and visibility. Say high visibility, you would take less infantry and more ATG support and tanks.
Low visibility and lots of trees you will take less ATG's, AA and tanks and more infantry and halftracks.

Most important is what to buy in what areas. Still supprises me that so many people do not look at the map or other info before purchasing during a PBEM game. :confused:

"Are you going to do something or just stand there and bleed"

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 4
- 7/9/2003 1:58:14 AM   
Spearhead

Well....IMHO there is nothing better than a good mass of tanks that are supported by stationary and long-range AT-guns.On infantry i always spend like 1000 points.I dont find infantry much of use in PBEM battles.And ofcourse.....u gotta love those TDs like M10,Ferdinand etc.Artillery is very important ofcourse and so are good tactics.All ur tanks may be wiped out one-by-one if u cant use them.:(

Man,his woman and his rifle make up the perfect trio for making love and making war.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 5
Really?????? - 7/9/2003 2:27:50 AM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Spearhead
[B]Well....IMHO there is nothing better than a good mass of tanks that are supported by stationary and long-range AT-guns.On infantry i always spend like 1000 points.I dont find infantry much of use in PBEM battles.[/B][/QUOTE]

I am very interested in what kind of battles you play. The only time I could consider this a good tactic is if you were in the Desert and had a lot of visibility?

Infantry not much use in PBEM????:confused: Well ok, I guess you have not played many PBEM battles then. :rolleyes:

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 6
Re: Really?????? - 7/9/2003 2:37:13 AM   
Belisarius

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Gary Tatro
[B]I am very interested in what kind of battles you play. The only time I could consider this a good tactic is if you were in the Desert and had a lot of visibility?

Infantry not much use in PBEM????:confused: Well ok, I guess you have not played many PBEM battles then. :rolleyes: [/B][/QUOTE]

I second that remark.

Without infantry in PBEM, you have nothing to follow up and consolidate your gains and nothing to protect your armor with.

I'm infantry heavy. In my first battles, I went with a lot of armor, but now I can use more than half my points for infantry since, backed up with ATG or tanks, there's nothing infantry can't do.

grenadier grenadier...

Got StuG?

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 7
Re: Hmm - 7/9/2003 4:34:13 AM   
rbrunsman

[B]Typical breakdown in a 6000 point game with 2 sections of air would be like this
A0 HQ -- 200 points
Artillary -- 600 points
Aircraft -- 200 points
Armor -- 1666 points
Infantry -- 1666 points
Support -- 1666 points
Total -- 6000 points

[/B][/QUOTE]

Gary!! Aircraft counts as Arty! If you can hit an area that you can't see, that's indirect fire and that counts as arty in my book. For another thing, the only way to bring an airstrike is to "PLOT" a strike with your FO (or other command unit). How do you figure that to be not arty? No wonder you have so many aircraft flying all over the place.

As for "I dont find infantry much of use in PBEM battles." :rolleyes:

Everyone is a potential [PBEM] enemy, every place a potential [PBEM] battlefield. --Zensunni Wisdom

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 8
Umm, you are a lawyer right??? - 7/9/2003 6:43:07 AM   
Gary Tatro

:)
Lets see, Aircraft---Definition-big flying plane. Flys over the ground and drops ordanance (booms and rockets) and shoots bullets on poor unsuspecting troops then fly away after all there ordanance has been expended.

Artillary --- Definition-Very large mobil or immobile guns that take directions from infantry observers that direct its fire. Can shoot a number of different types of rounds and generally are located very far back behind the main lines of confrontation.

Sorry RB aircraft is not artillary. Aircraft is aircraft and artillary is artillary. :p
I am sorry that in "your book" you feel that aircraft is artillary, but if that is the way you feel, you can handicap yourself anyway you want to.

I think that if you took a poll about what PBEM's think if aircraft should be considered artillary, you would be in the minority.

Just because the game treats aircraft ploting the same way as artillary does not make it the same. I believe that SPWAW did it this way because it was easier to program then to make up a whole new program to handle aircraft.

So sorry old chap.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 9
- 7/9/2003 7:49:05 AM   
rbrunsman

I guess I'm the dummy then. Airstrikes will certainly be one of the "issues" to be clarified in my PBEMs from now on. I don't the use of them myself (offensively or on the receiving end).

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 10
Re: Umm, you are a lawyer right??? - 7/9/2003 10:10:19 AM   
Buzzard45

[B]:)

Sorry RB aircraft is not artillary. Aircraft is aircraft and artillary is artillary. :p
I am sorry that in "your book" you feel that aircraft is artillary, but if that is the way you feel, you can handicap yourself anyway you want to.

I think that if you took a poll about what PBEM's think if aircraft should be considered artillary, you would be in the minority.

Just because the game treats aircraft ploting the same way as artillary does not make it the same. I believe that SPWAW did it this way because it was easier to program then to make up a whole new program to handle aircraft.

So sorry old chap. [/B][/QUOTE]

I tend to agree. Air is air, it might be air transport but it is still a third arm.

As for infantry in PBEM:confused: How could you do without it. I would rather be without tanks. In fact I find myself doing more and more of that. I play with SP guns instead. Sure the Panthers and Tigers are sexy beasts but if there is killing to do, history teaches us that the ATG did more damage than AFV.

BTW: what's your new title mean? No banners? German banners only?

[B]Purchasing[/B]
In my books the battle is won or lost in the purchase and deploy stage. I think the question is what to buy in what time frame and nationality. What units will you not do without. Is that right, Rob?

For instance Post 1943 US forces. I never go without M15 or M16 tracked AA, They will destroy all German and Russian HTs and are hell on infantry from any distance let alone the AA ability.

I think you have the combined arms idea, Rob, but its the effectiveness of the particular units that make or break you. A pre 1943 6pdr or 2pdrs in a tank,has no HE , thus no gun that will shoot at soft targets. A Tretarcht ( I still can't spell that name) carries no AT rounds and will not fire at an armoured vehicle in OP fire. A typhoon will kill any tank but cannot penetrate a heavy pillbox. Its these things that you learn by doing.

GaryT and the lawyer are right about the mix, it depends on the terrain and your the potential forces against you. To not buy AA in a game with 6 airstrikes against you is a big mistake. To not have mine clearing engineers or vehicles in an assault is the same kind of mistake. Great thought must go into what you buy. Just because a Ferdinand looks good on paper does not make it suitable to mix it up in the woods. The same with a Churchill in what is expected to be a fast moving game. However a Churchill is just the ticket to play in the woods on a small map. Especially if it carries a flamethrower. The heavy armour can take the first hit and survive (most of the time). All my purchases have a predetermined role in the battle. I set the plan and buy the units that are needed to do the job. If you don't know what the unit can do or if you have a choice between two that look equal in their specs, test them is a hot seat game with yourself. I hated the VC Firefly until I found out what it could do. It has such a wimpy name. Or ask in the forums. The group will tell you. Watch:

What's a better tank the in the desert. Valentine or Crusader 0R 38T or PzIII?:confused: [SIZE=1]I hope somebody answers[/SIZE]

One last note: I love watching those planes strike. Its almost as good as watching an ammo dump go up.

" Look alive!! Here comes a Buzzard"
POGO

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 11
- 7/9/2003 12:14:34 PM   
VikingNo2

I'm a Arty 10% , approx 10% in recon, 10% AT gun, 30 % infantry , 30 % armor. 10% misc

The make of the map is key and can change these numbers.

Also who you are playing, if you can figure out a players habits use them against them.

Purchasing is very important, I have had games that I knew I was going to lose by after the first turn. I use the Italiansas a measuring stick, play them against the computer, they will make you use combined arms if you are to win.

.02$

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 12
- 7/9/2003 2:31:12 PM   
RobW

All, thanks for this comprehensive reply and if anyone else wishes to contribute please do. Well I am off for 2 weeks well earned vaccation from the end of the week so will check in again when I return. Will continue to offer myself as the preverbial "sacrificial lamb" to anyone wanting to beat me in PBEM - who knows I may soon get my first victory!!!!!

RobW

[SIZE=1]PS please note - I don't play PBEM to win (much) but to enjoy myself - winning once would be nice tho[/SIZE]

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 13
- 7/9/2003 7:07:00 PM   
Jim1954

RobW,

try a 1 on 1 with someone. The odds are a lot better on getting that first victory. My first(and only:( ) PBEM victory came that way. Otherwise I just feed the sharks out there.

:D

Jim1954
KMC/T

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 14
Re: Re: Umm, you are a lawyer right??? - 7/9/2003 8:15:52 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Buzzard45
[B]BTW: what's your new title mean? No banners? German banners only?[[/B][/QUOTE]

This had to do with me trying to read a post with RB, Jess, Jim replying back and forth. They had so many banners that I had to scroll like a page per post. It got me very frustrated. I wrote a post about the fact and found you can turn the banners off in you user CP, and now they all jus show up as a link. Much easier to read. :)

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 15
I am sorry RB - 7/9/2003 8:28:46 PM   
Gary Tatro

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]I guess I'm the dummy then. Airstrikes will certainly be one of the "issues" to be clarified in my PBEMs from now on. I don't the use of them myself (offensively or on the receiving end). [/B][/QUOTE]

To tell you the truth I have never considered aircraft to be artillary. The main reason is that there is so many restrictions on aircraft and artillary. Most people do not like to play with aircraft at all. So I always considered it as a different thing. Due to that you can buy one section or two sections. It is just that it is ussually bought as a afterthought. Also many times you can not buy it at all due to visibility and weather.

It is not like I was trying to be sneaky or underhanded. I just never considered it in the 10% artilary limit before. :(

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 16
- 7/9/2003 8:35:44 PM   
Belisarius

Interesting question. Almost all PBEMs are played without air sections, which makes me realize I've never given any thought to airstrikes counting towards the 10% arty limit.

They are plotted, yes. But I felt that the restrictions on aircraft goes towards the max. number stipulated in the setup? That is, you limit the number on aircraft in the setup, not BOTH the setup and the 10% arty limit.

I think I'll stand over here with you, Gary. :)

Got StuG?

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 17
- 7/10/2003 1:28:52 AM   
rbrunsman

Either way you look at it (air as arty or air as a separate class), I think it is good form to state your intentions to buy air sections. Since many people don't like them (me included!), it is quite annoying to think they are not going to be there and to then be pounded by them over and over without being able to reciprocate. (V2 and Gary are doing this to me now in two separate PBEMs)

The above goes for infiltrators too.

Another matter that would be nice to have clarified in all PBEMs is whether you intend to go crazy with strange purchases or if you will be playing a balanced force (your interpretation of balanced anyway). If one player goes "vanilla" and the other goes crazy, then the game usually ends up not very fun for the "vanilla" player. I also find that the game is often won or lost in the buy phase when you get crazy with buying.

If everyone thinks I'm nuts on these matters, then I guess I'll have to change my ideas of what makes a good game and buy accordingly or be a stickler for what I expect in a game. Thoughts?

(I hope that didn't come off as if I'm disgruntled. I just want to be on the same page with everyone else.)

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 18
- 7/10/2003 2:34:36 AM   
VikingNo2

I looked up Rbrunsman in the dictionary and it does not equal disgruntle

:rolleyes:

I though we agreed on our set up for air, if not my apologies,
( you are winning the game by the way )

I think its just needs to be stated in the setup that all

Big Hug from Helga to RB, M4 send her over to RB please
:D

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 19
- 7/10/2003 2:55:53 AM   
Frank W.

[B]Either way you look at it (air as arty or air as a separate class), I think it is good form to state your intentions to buy air sections. Since many people don't like them (me included!), it is quite annoying to think they are not going to be there and to then be pounded by them over and over without being able to reciprocate. (V2 and Gary are doing this to me now in two separate PBEMs)

The above goes for infiltrators too.
[/B][/QUOTE]

i think most ppl. want to play fun games and not realistic ones.

if one prefers the last and plays germany in after normandy battles he should get 1 air and the US or GB player 10. the allied side should get infiltraters,too ( simulating paratroopers dropped behind german lines in normandy battles or the french "resistance" ) . also the allied side would have much more arty.... but who wants such kind of realism ?

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 20
- 7/10/2003 4:13:42 AM   
rbrunsman

V2, you can keep Helga. (shiver)

Frank, it's not about realism to me. It's more about a level playing field (I hope that metaphor translates across cultures). I just want to have the same "mind set" in the battle setup that my opponent does. That way, we both know what to expect.

The games I've played that haven't been fun have been the one's where I've felt like I was blind sided (extreme examples abound in the Forum: 80% arty, all US Rangers, 50% airstrikes, etc.) Those games are fun for the guy who crushes his opponent (I suppose), but it will certainly be the last game played against that opponent. Some good players (and when I say "good" I mean one's that you play that don't make you feel like you've been taken advantage of (e.g V2) even though you may lose the battle) have left the Forum because some people want to win at any cost (i.e. even if their reputation suffers). V2 has even said he may withdraw from the World Cup because the rule negotiating is getting too complicated. (Although, it is all the more satisfying when you crush someone that pulls tricks on you!)

It's all about having equal expectations.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 21
it's all about comms!! - 7/10/2003 5:49:58 AM   
pbhawkin1

It comes down to deceiding prior to playing what limitations each player wants, this is by communicating those wishes to the other player.
Personally, I feel that as a commander YOU have NO choice as to what forces your enemy fields.... Can't you imagine the parlay prior to battle (Warning this is in jest):
:D "I say old chap i'm feeling a bit stuffed today, would you mind only attacking with your Volksgrenadiers and telling the skyboys to have a day off. Oh and while your at it please don't send any of those nasty Kats my way either. Cheers" :D
I like to feel that the forces I buy can deal with most (all?) that my opponent has. So I try to have some units for specific purposes, ie AA, AT, Arty, maybe air, recon (including infiltrators), inf, arm, etc etc etc. AND if he has silly purchases (as mentioned previously) then I feel all the better if I win against him and not so bad if I lose! Remember that it is only the infantryman who can HOLD ground, arty and air can take it but they can't hold it, a physical presence (inf) can.
BUT, I do understand and will comply if an opponent wants to play say a recreation of a particular battle (or element thereof) and use only historical forces (ie know what you are up against). These are fun too but obviously can be unbalanced as well.

regards

Regards

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 22
Um RB this was the agreement in our 4 player game - 7/10/2003 9:37:04 AM   
Gary Tatro

[B]Either way you look at it (air as arty or air as a separate class), I think it is good form to state your intentions to buy air sections. Since many people don't like them (me included!), it is quite annoying to think they are not going to be there and to then be pounded by them over and over without being able to reciprocate. (V2 and Gary are doing this to me now in two separate PBEMs)

[/B][/QUOTE] Air-2 section each player (4 planes per player 8 per side)

No pre-laid mines.

Infiltrators 2 platoons(groups) per person 4 platoons per side still a lot.

No air drops by player one on pre-deployment.

Reinforcements-Can call after turn 7

All preferences on except C&C and Rarity.

8k per player

SIDE 1 (us) any allied nation

SIDE 2 (you) any bad guy nation

5/45

both players per team my NOT use the same nation

100x160 map random, summer, noon, LOS 35

25 turns

I did the purchaseing and I know that we did not go over these limits. Certain planes keep coming back each round if they have not expended thier ammunition or are hit by a ground unit. These are aircraft ground specialists. So my aircraft keep coming back because they are not being hit or shot down. :(

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 23
- 7/10/2003 2:32:07 PM   
RobW

hhhhhheeeeeeellllllpppppppp I've been hijacked!!!! Only kidding.....

Guess all this discussion about deciding up front with you opponent is bound to appear in a post about purchasing. I have occassionally chosen "silly" purchases (ask V2 about me sending 1 platoon of gliderborne infantry & 4 gliders behind his lines - lost all of them the next turn - ask Beserk about me fielding a side dominated by 17lber ATGs and airborne infantry against late Germans!). I guess it is up to the individuals playing PBEM to stipulate #air units (does this include gliders & dakotas) and #infiltrators (does this include airborne).

I have seen a PBEM request sheet which someone could fill in, post somewhere and wait for someone to pick up & play - or maybe more of a "league system" with specific rules and where everyone plays everyone and gets 3 pts for a points win (margin >1000 pts), 1 pt for a draw (same points +/- 1000 pts) and 0 points for a loss - come on even American Football specifies you can have 16 teams on the pitch at once with 30 players built like the preverbial brick privvies (thats olde english for toilet for our colonial cousins ;) )., that a match that in realtime lasts 80 minutes in actual time takes 4 days to complete.......real war is all about intelligence, using that intelligence wisely and ensuring you have a good chance of winning which ever engagement is in the offing......

hope noone is offended but thought, as I am on vaccation from today, I would add an interesting post!!!!!

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 24
- 7/10/2003 3:04:21 PM   
Frank W.

my worst experience was a opp. who had a company ( or more ) of panther g uhu´s.

in the past i seldom bought heavy arty, but i must admit this was a mistake as 120mm + above are the real killers. all smaller guns are good f. supression but not killing..

btw: gary + rbrunsman: we haven´t played yet i think. we should change that in the near future.....:D

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 25
Just an opinion - 7/10/2003 9:16:04 PM   
Vathailos

As much as it pains me to do so, I’m going to have to agree with RB ;) in his overall assessment that air should count toward your artillery assets. But not for the exact reasons he posts.

Army (US) Air is a separate branch, granted. It’s not officially part of the “Artillery”. However, as a ground-pounder, when briefing an OPORD, my “indirect fire assets” portion included both whatever arty they told us we’d have and what air assets. All were classified as indirect fire support. Of course your FO (if you’re lucky enough to have one of these guys assigned to you, it MAKES a mission IMO, ok, so I’m not so fond of having to call it in myself :p) is the best person to coordinate the actual call for fires, once you plan your original targets, and determine where you need it once you’ve made contact.

When purchasing arty, despite the fact that they’re listed on the “Miscellaneous” page, I’ve always included any air strike elements (bombers/fighter-bombers/ground-attack aircraft) in my Artillery totals. What I do NOT include are air transport assets.

Reason I don’t agree wholly with RB is because I don’t particularly dislike air assets. I don’t find them as a huge crutch for opponents, as my core force usually contains some AA assets anyway (because of what they do to infantry *shudders*). I think their use is limited for all their well-known flaws (shooting up friendly AFVs/troops, collateral damage), but personally I’d love to call in some BF-110’s (IIRC) to take out a battery of Russian rockets parked on an ammo dump. The splash damage is great against massed infantry as well, or ATGs.

And if I had a vote, I’d say that Airborne are not “infiltrators”, as someone asked above. They’re infantry, and if you’re playing with “C&C” on, I don’t see why anyone would limit even the number of air-droppable units. If you mis-drop these guys, it’s easy to get them routed and cleaned up in short order, and they’re kind of pricey ;). Don’t most players keep a “clean-up” or “reserve” force in the rear to handle any partisans or airborne troops? “Infiltrator” troops are those that you can assign infiltration missions to in the set-up phase with the command button (Special Ops, Partisans, Rangers). I do find it odd that you can air-drop non-airborne units. The only consequence seems to be high suppression when they land. I’d prefer to see a change where engineer or ski troops which are air-dropped have a high chance of incurring damage to each squad (broken ankles/legs/arms, or tree landings) to discourage such historically inaccurate tactics. Sure, glider them in, but don’t drop them.

And I’ll also respectfully disagree with Frank W, in that most people want fun, not realism. I disagree with the premise that they’re mutually exclusive. I think if you stay somewhat realistic (not buying a force that’s made only of Air, ATGs and infiltrators for example), a “well-rounded” force makes a battle both semi-historical and fun.

Limits? Other than remaining relatively realistic (which includes no pre-laid mines in a meeting engagement), I’m not big on them if it’s a “random” setup. If the other fellow spends 50% his points on arty, and any of it is on-board, wouldn’t a well-placed infiltrator or 2 enable you to effectively counter-battery/nullify his arty advantage? And eventually, OB assets run out. I’m yet to play a huge PvP battle against an enemy using tons of arty, so I guess I’m naïve there. My ground infantry are typically mech though, and Arty’s only horribly bad if you’re sitting still, unluckily crossing one of his pre-planned targets, or he’s the U.S. with those insane response times ;). I will usually purchase one section of large, long-range guns specifically for counter-battery fire. And if you’re playing “random” settings (weather/TOD?) then Air shouldn’t be an issue anyway. If a guy wants to roll the dice that he’ll be able to fly and buy a ton of air, let him. Could work out in your favor. But if your battle time-frame is in late ’44, and you’re playing the U.S. against Germany, if your opponent must have night, or poor weather (negating your air) and an artillery limit (again, removing your historical advantage) then that’s BS, IMO.

Bottom line: I don’t mind “creativity” in force composition, but within a somewhat historical/realistic context.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 26
- 7/10/2003 11:53:40 PM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]my worst experience was a opp. who had a company ( or more ) of panther g uhu´s.

btw: gary + rbrunsman: we haven´t played yet i think. we should change that in the near future.....:D [/B][/QUOTE]

Uhus are a perfect example of my thoughts on buying. When I see Uhus available, I consider them and then always disregard them. They are just too unfair against your opponent. I think I could have bought them in the V2/rb v Jess/Gary PBEM, and now I'm wishing I had because it seems to me that everyone posting thinks that "all's fair in war."

btw: you just need to wander over to the Opponents Wanted forum and post your challenge. I'm happy to oblige anyone looking for a pounding.:p

RobW: Sorry to have hijacked your thread, but this has certainly been an interesting and valuable discussion.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 27
- 7/10/2003 11:57:42 PM   
Frank W.

>>>>>Uhus are a perfect example of my thoughts on buying. When I see Uhus available, I consider them and then always disregard them. They are just too unfair against your opponent. I think I could have bought them in the V2/rb v Jess/Gary PBEM, and now I'm wishing I had because it seems to me that everyone posting thinks that "all's fair in war."

in the case of uhu´s it´s NOT fair, because they don´t belong to a WW2 game like they are modelled. i mean only 2 or 3 were actually used in combat.....

>>>>btw: you just need to wander over to the Opponents Wanted forum and post your challenge. I'm happy to oblige anyone looking for a pounding.:p

not yet ! but soon, i´m in for a battle!

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 28
Re: Just an opinion - 7/11/2003 12:04:57 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Vathailos
[B]As much as it pains me to do so, I’m going to have to agree with RB ;) in his overall assessment that air should count toward your artillery assets. But not for the exact reasons he posts.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Hey! When did I become a pariah? :(

Clarification: I only consider [U]air strikes[/U] to be arty, not gliders and cargo planes (or their payloads). You can buy all the Spec Ops units you want within reason just don't infiltrate all of them. I wouldn't change my AAA purchases one way or the other if I know you are going to buy airstrikes since I always buy balanced forces. I would just like to know that I should consider them too if I know you are going to use them. Also, as above, if you are going to buy "unfair" units, then I would consider myself free of my (admittedly self imposed) buying restrictions and start looking at Uhus and bunches of quad .50s, etc. I just want to know if this is going to be a "fantasy" matchup or a roughly historic matchup. I know next to nothing about actual OOBs so when I say roughly historic, I mean a balanced force as available from the buy screens.

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 29
- 7/11/2003 12:10:18 AM   
rbrunsman

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank W.
[B]in the case of uhu´s it´s NOT fair, because they don´t belong to a WW2 game like they are modelled. i mean only 2 or 3 were actually used in combat..... [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah yes, but most people want Rarity OFF. That toggle cuts both ways. I prefer Rarity ON because if forces you to play a different set of OOBs every time. Variety is the spice of life!

(in reply to RobW)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Purchasing Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI