Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new feature request--moving weapons from one base to another

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> new feature request--moving weapons from one base to another Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new feature request--moving weapons from one base to an... - 6/5/2014 7:35:04 AM   
ctboe1_slith

Was wondering if it would be possible to add a command to move weapons from one base to another, kind of like a ferry command for leftover weapons. I find myself wanting to consolidate bases in a number of different scenarios, but am always stopped because the magazines don't have a way to follow. In the real world you would just sent a transport plane to move them to the next base. Anyway an idea to consider.
Post #: 1
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/5/2014 9:01:11 AM   
SireChaos

quote:

ORIGINAL: cdu801

Was wondering if it would be possible to add a command to move weapons from one base to another, kind of like a ferry command for leftover weapons. I find myself wanting to consolidate bases in a number of different scenarios, but am always stopped because the magazines don't have a way to follow. In the real world you would just sent a transport plane to move them to the next base. Anyway an idea to consider.

That is a good idea.

We already have aircraft (and helicopters) that can carry cargo. Now if we could go to the magazines, earmark certain ammunitions as cargo, and subsequently have them loaded aboard any aircraft with a cargo loadout...

It´d be one hell of a chore giving each cargo aircraft a cargo capacity, though, and each piece of ammo in the game a weight...

(in reply to ctboe1_slith)
Post #: 2
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/5/2014 9:51:54 AM   
dillonkbase

It´d be one hell of a chore giving each cargo aircraft a cargo capacity, though, and each piece of ammo in the game a weight.. I think this has already been done to some extent... cargo aircraft have cargo loadouts.,. and weapons have weights

(in reply to SireChaos)
Post #: 3
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/5/2014 11:28:50 AM   
Feltan

Is it feasible in the timeframe of most scenarios?

Just using big picture data, it would seem the timeframe to move the contents of an airbase's magazines to a new location would be on the order of multiple days or weeks. You'd have to move not only the ordinance, but diagnostic equipment, spare parts, support personnel, etc.

It is obviously doable -- ordinance gets moved in real life -- but I'm thinking the problem is more complex than just how much you can cram into the cargo bay of a C-17 for a quick hop to the next base.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to dillonkbase)
Post #: 4
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/5/2014 11:59:34 AM   
djoos5

Munitions are generally moved by ship, due to the weight. You could move bombs in a transport plane, but you're not going to be able to move enough for sustained combat.

Maybe have a transport ship meet the criteria of an event by entering a defined area. Once in there and perhaps a little time unloading and a new amunition magazine is teleported in to the dock or airbase. Not sure if that is a viable teleport, but if so it could simulate what you are looking to do. Yes?

Or if your scenario is land based, maybe a train? To be honest, I don't know if CMANO has a freight train as units - I've never looked. If it does, that would make for a neat set up. It would be cool, too, as a player to have to destroy rail lines, bridges, or cars.

< Message edited by djoos5 -- 6/5/2014 1:05:30 PM >

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 5
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/5/2014 1:36:21 PM   
Rudd

quote:

Maybe have a transport ship meet the criteria of an event by entering a defined area. Once in there and perhaps a little time unloading and a new amunition magazine is teleported in to the dock or airbase. Not sure if that is a viable teleport, but if so it could simulate what you are looking to do. Yes?

Agreed,
Current work around, for player side, would be for the scenario author to setup events, when cargo aircraft/ship A reaches destination, an ammo dump(loaded with appropriate amount of stores) is teleported to area and player would have to manually group to airbase.

Again, would only work for player side

< Message edited by Rudd -- 6/5/2014 2:37:52 PM >

(in reply to djoos5)
Post #: 6
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/6/2014 12:59:10 AM   
jonpspri

"Amateurs study tactics; professionals study logistics." - Omar Bradley (possibly apocryphal)

"You have debauched my sloth." - Stephen Maturin in H.M.S. Surprise

Post #: 7
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 6/8/2014 11:19:06 PM   
mikmykWS

Hi Guys

I've updated an existing item on this as well as added it to our gameplay feature poll.

Thanks!

Mike

(in reply to jonpspri)
Post #: 8
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 3:19:14 PM   
patpatpowercat

Was anything like this ever implemented?

Post #: 9
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 7:21:37 PM   
Gunner98

This can and has been implemented in scenarios by the designer using Lua, but it's limited to how the designer has set it up. It is in several of the Indian Ocean Fury scenarios.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to patpatpowercat)
Post #: 10
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 7:22:32 PM   
Gunner98

Feltan!

Good to see you back. Your scenarios are still some of my favorites.

Cheers

B

(in reply to Feltan)
Post #: 11
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 7:28:42 PM   
thewood1

I think he isn't back. This thread was necromanced from history. His post is five years old.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 12
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 9:48:29 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

His post is five years old

Doh! missed that. Too bad, thanks

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 13
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/24/2019 10:34:39 PM   
Rory Noonan

quote:

ORIGINAL: patpatpowercat

Was anything like this ever implemented?

It's on the list, and work has progressed in that direction. I can't say anything more than that for the time being...

That said, I made a community scenario back in January that uses special actions and Lua scripts to allow you to move munitions around. The moves are instant so it's not the same as 'load missiles on to a plane and fly them somewhere', but that was a conscious choice as you're already managing a large force and there's a definite limit to how fun micro-ing the logistics in that particular scenario would be.

Feel free to pick apart the scripts in that scenario for use in your own

(in reply to patpatpowercat)
Post #: 14
RE: new feature request--moving weapons from one base t... - 11/25/2019 6:33:05 AM   
TalonCG2

This idea is what I originally thought the devs meant when they released the CoW DLC and said it had cargo ops. Actual cargo, not troops and units.
I hope something like this gets added. It will add a new and (for me anyway) interesting logistical element to the sim.

Clear skies and tailwinds,
Chuck

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> new feature request--moving weapons from one base to another Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI