Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Just purchased...game won't start

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Just purchased...game won't start Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Just purchased...game won't start - 11/17/2019 11:33:48 PM   
MegalonJones

Just purchased WITPAE and the game refuses to start. Uninstalled and reinstalled to no avail. I click on the 'Quick Start .exe (using administrative mode) and the screen goes black and then spits me out back to my desk top. I've tried running compatibility mode for Windows. Currently on Win 10 OS.

Upon clicking one of the icons, I was able to get to a start screen. Attempted to register which took me to a 404 site for Matrix.

In addition, the game installed to an older version. Bad form. I would expect to have the latest version of any software I just purchased online. I ran the automatic updater and it said there was a newer version. DL'd the update and during install had a number of messages saying that certain files were in use (they weren't) and that they would have to be Dl'd upon 'reboot.' Whether this means to reboot my OS or the game (which won't start regardless) I'm not sure.
Post #: 1
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/18/2019 1:00:06 AM   
Kull

I'm assuming you did not install it in the "Program Files" directory? Also, the game must run from the desktop shortcut. Once you do get it to start, the next step is to get your "switches" in order (which "Seabee" will help with). As for "bad form", well it's a really old game that nevertheless has been superbly updated on a volunteer basis for many years, and currently might be the most bug free software on the planet.

Chin up, keep a positive attitude and the forum folks will help you through this!

(in reply to MegalonJones)
Post #: 2
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/18/2019 7:04:09 PM   
MegalonJones

All I can say is that the SeeBee app fixed everything. That thing ought to be part of the install.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 3
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/19/2019 3:15:57 AM   
Kull

quote:

ORIGINAL: MegalonJones

All I can say is that the SeeBee app fixed everything. That thing ought to be part of the install.

Yeah, Korvar did everyone a HUGE favor when he developed Seabee! Glad that got things going for you.

(in reply to MegalonJones)
Post #: 4
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 6:31:01 PM   
Kevinorf

I just purchased too and can't get to run. I run the desktop icon and open the game menu. When I try to launch the game, I get the message "Error: Can't set screen mode."

I downloaded Seabee and ran it but have no idea what I'm supposed to do.

Running the game on Windows 10 on a newer gaming laptop. Currently running the laptop at 1910 x 1080 resolution (max resolution is 3840 x 2160), which allows me to run other Matrix games and other older games.

(in reply to Kull)
Post #: 5
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 7:21:28 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kevinorf

I just purchased too and can't get to run. I run the desktop icon and open the game menu. When I try to launch the game, I get the message "Error: Can't set screen mode."

Running the game on Windows 10 on a newer gaming laptop. Currently running the laptop at 1910 x 1080 resolution (max resolution is 3840 x 2160), which allows me to run other Matrix games and other older games.

Don’t panic. This game runs well on windows 10 if it is set up properly.

You have a screen resolution problem. We have seen this before on the forum.

First, you want to set your screen resolution to the min game specs 1024 x 768.
That should get it to run. Later you can change it.

Per this thread:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2211338

Try this per the last post:

1. Right click on desktop area to bring up "Display Properties"
2. Choose "Settings"
3. Choose "Advanced"
4. Choose "Monitor"
5. un-check the check box that states "Hide modes that this monitor can't display"
6. Go back to "Display Properties" and change resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 6
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 7:58:00 PM   
Enforcer

if you have seabees just make the screen resolution in seabees to your actual resolution and it will work

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 7
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 8:28:39 PM   
Kevinorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

quote:

Don’t panic. This game runs well on windows 10 if it is set up properly.

You have a screen resolution problem. We have seen this before on the forum.

First, you want to set your screen resolution to the min game specs 1024 x 768.
That should get it to run. Later you can change it.

Per this thread:
https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2211338

Try this per the last post:

1. Right click on desktop area to bring up "Display Properties"
2. Choose "Settings"
3. Choose "Advanced"
4. Choose "Monitor"
5. un-check the check box that states "Hide modes that this monitor can't display"
6. Go back to "Display Properties" and change resolution to 1024 x 768 pixels.

I don't see this resolution and when I click Monitor, I don't see an option to uncheck "Hide modes." Hmmm. And thanks for helping by the way.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 8
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 8:31:27 PM   
Kevinorf

I see I can force the resolution in Seabeas, but I get the same error message.

In Seabees I assume I need to make a desktop shortcut. I tried autodetect method. If I do it manually, what exe file to I navigate too? Autorun or something else?

(in reply to Enforcer)
Post #: 9
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/26/2019 8:47:14 PM   
Kevinorf

Is there a step by step thread for installing the game and using Seabee to get it to run in Windows 10? I read and reread the Seabee thread and am pretty confused. The application's options are pretty much greek to me.

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 10
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 2:44:35 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

In Seabees I assume I need to make a desktop shortcut. I tried autodetect method. If I do it manually, what exe file to I navigate too? Autorun or something else?

The Autorun.exe starts a menu screen, not the game. Go to the game directory C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition and find the game executable War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition.exe. Right click and choose "Create Shortcut". Give it a different label than the one already on the desktop that points to the Autorun.exe file. Then drag the new shortcut to the desktop and get to adding your switches in the properties of the shortcut.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 11
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 3:45:45 AM   
Kevinorf

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

The Autorun.exe starts a menu screen, not the game. Go to the game directory C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition and find the game executable War in the Pacific: Admiral Edition.exe. Right click and choose "Create Shortcut". Give it a different label than the one already on the desktop that points to the Autorun.exe file. Then drag the new shortcut to the desktop and get to adding your switches in the properties of the shortcut.

I created a shortcut to the WitPAE exe file and dragged to desktop. No idea on how to change properties to get game to work though...

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 12
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 12:22:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

I created a shortcut to the WitPAE exe file and dragged to desktop. No idea on how to change properties to get game to work though...

Read the stuff in the stickied area about fixing problems with switches so you understand what they do and where they go. Then right click on your game icon to bring up its properties and put in the switches you want to try. OR - just use the Seabee installation program to automate this for you. You might have to play around for a while to get the right combo of switches for your system but you can always back out of anything that you try and don't like.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 13
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 2:30:39 PM   
Kevinorf

I appreciate everyone's attempt to help me (thank you all) and I'm not a computer idiot, but the threads relating to switches and Seabees are confusing and greek to me.

Create a short cut but not one for the startup move it to desktop and run Seabee and set swiches... What?!

Is there simple step by step instructions anywhere? The long threads all offer confusing piecemeal advice.

Also - and I know it's an old game and was on sale etc. etc. but Matrix, really? You sell games that don't run on currently systems but don't offer a refund? Made the same mistake with Steel Panthers - fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me I guess. I have purchased a lot of games from them though so just very frustrating.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 14
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 2:50:42 PM   
Anachro

The game runs perfectly fine on Windows 10 if you follow the advice given. There is a readme in the game installation folder. Read it, particularly the Performance Switches section, and then apply the switches of your choice to your shortcut. Here, to try and make it easy for you:

Step 1

Step 2

Step 3

(in reply to Kevinorf)
Post #: 15
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 2:52:57 PM   
Anachro

Before you do any of that, make sure you've patched your game up to the latest beta. The switches I use to the run the game in Windows 10 are:

quote:

-altFont -archive -deepColor -px2560 -py1440 -skipVideo -SingleCpuOrders -dd_sw -w

The most important switch for Windows 10 in my experience is -dd_sw. -SingleCPUOrders seems to make the game run faster. The -px and -py switches are for setting your desired resolution like 1920x1080.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 16
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 2:55:54 PM   
Anachro

That said, if you find this too complicated, make use of the Seabee utility already mentioned as it should do most of this for you.

EDIT

As for moving to the desktop, they mean copy over your game installation folder to the Desktop and do all this stuff there. That way, you have a virgin, pristine, unaltered installation folder you can fall back on for future changes. This makes is very easy for having multiple modded versions of the game, etc.

< Message edited by Anachro -- 11/27/2019 3:01:34 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 17
RE: Just purchased...game won't start - 11/27/2019 6:50:09 PM   
Kevinorf

Thanks all. Very helpful.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> Just purchased...game won't start Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI