Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Confused Allied Player

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Confused Allied Player Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 6:32:45 PM   
scout1

Dec 1939 … Turn report states Stalin declares War on Finland ….
1) I didn't do this last turn
2) War Panel doesn't indicate Russia/Finland at War (Finland only 10% axis)
3) Russia can't move land or air units into Finnish territory

Confused …. What am I missing ?
Post #: 1
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 6:50:40 PM   
MorningDew

Certain events early in the game are scripted, which is the cause of the declaration I believe. Cannot answer 2 or 3.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 2
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 8:13:43 PM   
Essro

It's one of those events that is almost always scripted in games such as this (even most boardgames). Essentially, it's needed for the war to make any sense in regards to the USSR-Finland situation in the late 30s.

To do it otherwise isn't worth the trade off and you might end up with wild situations where the UK goes to war with the USSR. While absolutely historically possible, to allow it in a game such as this would send everything off the rails.

So, it's scripted event. Make sure you have the latest patch.

It won't say at war in the war panel because of the method in which it is scripted. Again, this is to prevent wild outcomes.

You should, if I recall, be able to move USSR troops into the hexes that change control as a result of the event.

Make sure you have the latest patch.

Here is some historical context about the short but brutal and very important war

(in reply to MorningDew)
Post #: 3
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 8:40:49 PM   
Twotribes

Soviets will also get the Baltic Countries via scripted events and part of Rumania.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 4
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 10:46:11 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Essro

It's one of those events that is almost always scripted in games such as this (even most boardgames). Essentially, it's needed for the war to make any sense in regards to the USSR-Finland situation in the late 30s.

To do it otherwise isn't worth the trade off and you might end up with wild situations where the UK goes to war with the USSR. While absolutely historically possible, to allow it in a game such as this would send everything off the rails.

So, it's scripted event. Make sure you have the latest patch.

It won't say at war in the war panel because of the method in which it is scripted. Again, this is to prevent wild outcomes.

You should, if I recall, be able to move USSR troops into the hexes that change control as a result of the event.

Make sure you have the latest patch.

Here is some historical context about the short but brutal and very important war

Scripted or not … should list at war and Russia troops should be free to move into Finnish territory …. Smells like a bug to me ...

(in reply to Essro)
Post #: 5
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/28/2019 11:41:17 PM   
Ruatha

It is the Winter War, an armistice will be signed in early 1940, ceding some territory to the Soviets.

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 6
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/29/2019 1:06:25 AM   
TrogusP96

Some members of the UK cabinet actually talked about going to war against the Soviets. Thought it might help them with Hitler? The didn't like Commies either. WiF handles this well in that all is balanced against US entry after all what else is there? Stalin was going to grab all he could. So its not scripted there. Some says it has to be scripted or otherwise things could go off the rails. Yeah like a world war. Who could have anticipated the Ribbentropp-Molotov Pact? And any number of diplotmatic moves in the 1930's. It was a fluid time and the democracies (and even Germans) did not want another war. Stalin didn't consult his people. And that's without Japan and China etc. Scripting in some ways diminishes just how fouled up leaders were. Everyone scrambling for a piece and scared out of their minds over another war.

I've noticed you cant move in right away. There are no consequences. When the Finns did get involved Mannerheim wouldn't advance passed the original borders maybe there should be some trade off there or an effect on US mobilization.

(in reply to Ruatha)
Post #: 7
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/29/2019 8:16:15 AM   
tyronec

quote:

Scripted or not … should list at war and Russia troops should be free to move into Finnish territory …. Smells like a bug to me ...

Have a think about the implications for the game if it were not scripted and you had Russia at war with Finland.

(in reply to TrogusP96)
Post #: 8
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/29/2019 4:01:22 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Ok so say the USSR has a decision to attack or not attack Finland. This is a clear NOT ATTACK OPTION. Why would you want another front to worry about. I will always take DON'T attack Finland and they never come on the Axis side.

This is called an absolute decision. I could put in some benefit or non-benefit but that would be hard to balance. Like if you do attack Finland you get a higher default experience. If you don't they don't enter the war. That is incredibly difficult to balance in WarPlan. So I made it automatic. I almost made the invasion of Norway and automatic scripted event but I found that players do have a choice and I put flavors in the decision if the Allies or Axis invade it and the consequences.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 9
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/29/2019 5:42:53 PM   
scout1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alvaro Sousa

Ok so say the USSR has a decision to attack or not attack Finland. This is a clear NOT ATTACK OPTION. Why would you want another front to worry about. I will always take DON'T attack Finland and they never come on the Axis side.

This is called an absolute decision. I could put in some benefit or non-benefit but that would be hard to balance. Like if you do attack Finland you get a higher default experience. If you don't they don't enter the war. That is incredibly difficult to balance in WarPlan. So I made it automatic. I almost made the invasion of Norway and automatic scripted event but I found that players do have a choice and I put flavors in the decision if the Allies or Axis invade it and the consequences.

Not complaining, just confused me … I figured since it said we were at war we were … So is an intentional simplification and I shouldn't expect to move units into Finland …..

(in reply to AlvaroSousa)
Post #: 10
RE: Confused Allied Player - 11/29/2019 5:45:03 PM   
AlvaroSousa

Gotcha. I was just explaining the reasons why.

Creator Kraken Studios
- WarPlan
- WarPlan Pacific

Designer Strategic Command
- Brute Force (mod) SC2
- Assault on Communism SC2
- Assault on Democracy SC2
- Map Image Importer SC3

(in reply to scout1)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> Confused Allied Player Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI