Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/25/2019 8:25:39 PM   
Chocolino

8-1-41

Still trying to contain the Pripyat Raiders. Like true partisans they are hard to get into a fight - retreating after each attack with little damage. If I were not on the receiving end of it I would actually enjoy how realistic this is with Russians creating havoc behind the lines.

AGC takes Mogilev (in the NE of this pic) is the good news.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 151
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/25/2019 8:26:36 PM   
gwgardner

Offering friendly advice, you should pull your armor out of the UK completely and continue the crawl northward using infantry. The RN is alive and well, but running on only enough fumes to keep the engines from freezing up.

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 152
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/25/2019 8:32:59 PM   
Chocolino

8-1-41

I have not shown the south much since there is not much going on (besides raiders). The Axis 3 Allies with a singe German corps as backup have retaken Bessarabia.

The Russian front has depth - two layers thick. Very hard to make progress. But at least German attacks cause a good number of Russian casualties. However, I have noticed that by now fewer Russian corps shatter and that they have somewhat stiffened already - a bad omen of what is to come.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 153
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 11:38:05 AM   
Chocolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Offering friendly advice, you should pull your armor out of the UK completely and continue the crawl northward using infantry. The RN is alive and well, but running on only enough fumes to keep the engines from freezing up.

Didn't see this post yesterday - not ignoring you.

Advice is of course correct. But you may not have noticed that half the German armor actually did already depart England. But it is now late in the season and I am not sure the rest will make any difference before campaigning season ends and winter sets in. It takes 2 months of transfer (4 turns) until they can join action in the East (move to port - ship - rail to east - drive to front.)

I am also not sure if I could have finished off the UK in '41 without heavy weapons - now I am confident of it. Once the US joins at the end of the year it gets even dangerous to leave Scottish ports freely accessible.

But you advice rattles me in a different way - I must be doing really poorly if my opponent offers friendly advice.......:)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 154
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 3:47:21 PM   
Flaviusx

My own view is that Russia should've been ignored until 1942 and the kitchen sink should've been thrown at the UK. It is starting to bog down a little over there.

An all out effort could more rapidly clear out the British shopkeepers, and you could also have some fun in the Med.

And then build out the Wehrmacht for a powerful 42 Barbarossa. It is by no means clear to me that delaying it by a year necessarily works out great for the Soviets.

A weak Barbarossa in 41 may end up helping the Sovs more than a delay into 42 does.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/26/2019 3:48:51 PM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 155
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 5:45:59 PM   
Chocolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

My own view is that Russia should've been ignored until 1942 and the kitchen sink should've been thrown at the UK. It is starting to bog down a little over there.

That was more or less the kitchen sink. There is only a limited front line in the UK - so more units don't really help. I was also very concerned about a counter amphibious landing at the beginning which takes my main supply port. Gary may laugh at this and say "with what" but from my side of thetable it was an option that the UK may have. Then the creme of the German armored force would have been trapped in England without supply. So 4 armored corps was the most I wanted to commit.

quote:

And then build out the Wehrmacht for a powerful 42 Barbarossa. It is by no means clear to me that delaying it by a year necessarily works out great for the Soviets.

A weak Barbarossa in 41 may end up helping the Sovs more than a delay into 42 does.

I am sure you are more experienced with the game than I am. Hard for me to judge during a first PBEM game. But I have heard that the USSR gets boosts to the economy no matter what - perhaps not as strong as if attacked. They already got a boost earlier "because the Western Allies couldn't contains the Axis".

We will see how I get over the winter.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 156
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 5:54:10 PM   
Chocolino

8-15-40

We are closing in on Glasgow, the last VP objective in the UK (there are others in the Commonwealth of course). British cohesion is faltering now a bit. Several weaker units appear. Only the mech. guarding the approaches to Glasgow and the Infantry corps at the east coast are strong.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 157
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 5:59:30 PM   
Chocolino

8-15-41

Near Mogilev we try to exploit a weak spot in the Russian lines and reach the Dnieper. These tanks have been lent to AGC by AGN.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 158
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 6:05:46 PM   
Chocolino

8-15-41

In the Ukraine we try a diversionary attack that also opens up a small gap in the Russian front. But in this area we have no mobile units to follow through. So the USSR will be able to rectify it easily. The Axis Allies again are pulling their weight here.

BTW - all Pripyat Raiders are now in German captivity.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/26/2019 6:06:57 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 159
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 6:07:31 PM   
Flaviusx

They do get a boost, but what they don´t get is experience, the ability to build infantry armies, or the reserves. So what you end up facing in 42 is just a larger version of what you see now.

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 160
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 6:13:57 PM   
Chocolino

quote:

So what you end up facing in 42 is just a larger version of what you see now.

Since I don't like what I see now that is not a very appealing prospect.....

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 161
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 10:59:14 PM   
Chocolino

8-29-41

The British defenders are split into 2 distinct groups and the eastern one is out of supply now. The Canadian unit up north is their HQ.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 162
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/26/2019 11:06:56 PM   
Chocolino

8-29-41

The first army sized Russian units appear at the front. The Russians contain any adventurous German spearheads but we are now one hex beside Smolensk. The Russians also managed to restore their front in the Ukraine as expected.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 163
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 12:45:29 AM   
Michael T

I am not certain going in to Russia half cocked is a good idea. It may yet work out for you. But going in with only half an army (or less) initially means you activate all the reserves and the economy but don't really have a good shot at them till 42. It's similar to going at them in 1940. I am curious to see how this plays out. It might back-fire, but it might also succeed.

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 164
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 12:55:10 AM   
Chocolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Michael T

I am not certain going in to Russia half cocked is a good idea. It may yet work out for you. But going in with only half an army (or less) initially means you activate all the reserves and the economy but don't really have a good shot at them till 42. It's similar to going at them in 1940. I am curious to see how this plays out. It might back-fire, but it might also succeed.

If you look at whether and how well Barbarossa succeeds then you are of course right.
I have hoped that I can wear them down by attrition in year one. But I could not destroy enough.

But if you look at it from a VP perspective: If I get 3 VPOs in Russia (need only Kiev in addition to what I have now) then I have 7 total out of England / Russia. You have to do very well against Russia alone to get that many (it has only 6 VPOs). And in a '41 campaign you (hopefully) hold those one year longer. These VPs for 26 turns add up.

But it does not look as pretty - I agree.

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/27/2019 12:58:26 AM >

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 165
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 1:32:30 AM   
Flaviusx

The VP point is a good one.

Offsetting that is I think you may have a rough time of it in the winter with only half the Wehrmacht committed.

Those minors in the south in particular are going to be chewy toys for the Red Army in the winter.

< Message edited by Flaviusx -- 11/27/2019 1:33:30 AM >

WitE Alpha Tester

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 166
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 8:40:32 AM   
tyronec

My guess is it was a good move to invade, but we shall see.
Without needing so much to defend in the West should make more infantry available to replace the Allies.
Can you naval transfer direct from UK to Russia ?

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 167
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 11:21:20 AM   
Chocolino

quote:

Can you naval transfer direct from UK to Russia ?

Never thought about it - good idea. But not sure it will save much time unless they are disembarking in Riga or very close to the front. Otherwise they have to rail the 3rd turn in any case. Have to check the distance - if it can be done in one (double) sea move. The Russian navy lurks near Leningrad - that may be another interception threat. But I will check it out.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 168
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 11:25:02 AM   
Chocolino

quote:

ORIGINAL: Flaviusx

The VP point is a good one.

Offsetting that is I think you may have a rough time of it in the winter with only half the Wehrmacht committed.

Those minors in the south in particular are going to be chewy toys for the Red Army in the winter.

Yes - winter is my big concern as well. Will see what the Russians can bring to the front. So far there is no powerful USSR tank force in sight. But that can change quickly.

Currently all German land units are upgrading to the next tech level. Consumes much of the German production. Hopefully that will make at least the Wehrmacht more sturdy. The Allies will remain weak.

(in reply to Flaviusx)
Post #: 169
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 11:31:49 AM   
Chocolino

9-12-41

Shockingly its September and the summer campaigning season is already coming to a close.

Germans try for the Dnieper as a good winter defensive line. The open land to the southern flank / Odessa may be still a problem.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 170
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 11:37:33 AM   
Chocolino

9-12-41

Glasgow falls, the eastern pocket is eliminated and we try to cut the remaining British off supply and escape routes. There is a British fleet in wait to provide munitions and food to the trapped British. A Canadian HQ is still holding out in the north - perhaps they have Scottish ancestry and feel at home.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/27/2019 11:39:03 AM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 171
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/27/2019 8:31:30 PM   
Chocolino

9-26-41

Just in time before the fall weather sets in - Kiev is in German hands. But the tanks are spent. Hopefully the Russians can't take it right back.

England has become a mopping-up operation and I won't show it as often any more unless something of interest happens there.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/27/2019 8:33:38 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 172
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/28/2019 3:55:44 PM   
Chocolino

10-10-41

The Germans keep Kiev - the Russians just withdrew their units west of the Dnieper. There are no other major activities.

10-26-41

The weather holds for now and the Germans make one last attempt to push in the center between Vitebsk and Smolensk.

Every turn the Russians wage a very active air war on German mobile units that do take a toll on German effectiveness and occasionally also unit losses but in return causes high losses in the USSR air force. But they are able to overwhelm our fighter defense so that only the first attacks are intercepted.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/28/2019 4:01:07 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 173
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/28/2019 4:06:41 PM   
Chocolino

10-26-41

Hungarian forces backed by German armor break through in the Ukraine and make a run for the industrial center of Krivoi Rog. The Axis does not have enough units to actually threaten to create an Odessa pocket and also falls short a few miles of the actual factories. But the Russians have something to think about.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/28/2019 4:15:17 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 174
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/29/2019 3:25:47 PM   
Chocolino

11-7-41

Germany occupies Northern Ireland for good measure. We don't want that to be an easily accessible airfield for a possible US counterattack on England. The Canadian HQ is still hanging out in Scotland.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 175
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/29/2019 3:31:47 PM   
Chocolino

11-7-41

We also take Smolensk in light snow. While it is a bit exposed it has a city defense bonus and most Russian attackers must ford the Dnieper. So we hope it to be a good jumping off board for spring (if we still hold it then).

Around this time some treacherous partisans overrun two German airfields in the back. Our rear area security is still not what it should be but a few security divisions will soon be available.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Chocolino -- 11/29/2019 3:32:15 PM >

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 176
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/29/2019 3:37:57 PM   
Chocolino

11-7-41

In the Ukraine the weather still holds and we have a beautiful fall day. The Russians pull back their line closer to the Black sea and also protect Krivoi Rog with a strong rifle army. Given the late season the Axis also pulls back one hex from their most exposed position to consolidate their line. Rumanians work themselves one hex closer to Odessa.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 177
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/30/2019 12:45:49 PM   
Chocolino

11-21-41

The Russians make their first land attack (that I remember) and teach a Hungarian corps that it has no business at the front. It has been swapped out of the line and is assigned to garrison duty henceforth.

Otherwise the front is quiet.The Axis is restocking oil and manpower.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 178
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 11/30/2019 11:10:19 PM   
Chocolino

12-5-41

The most noteworthy item this week is that an American fleet has been spotted. It is still far out on the Atlantic and it is unclear where it is heading.

The US is currently at peace with all nations - so it must be friendly maneuvers they have in mind I am sure....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 179
RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) - 12/1/2019 12:22:08 AM   
Chocolino

12-19-41

The Americans appear to head for the Med. They can still change their course - who knows what plans their commander has in mind. But it looks as if the sailors will spend Christmas on board their vessels.

US is still at peace.

German HQ is hecticely crafting contingency plans for all kinds of scenarios.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 180
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> WarPlan >> AAR >> RE: Encircled by Enemies (PBEM gwgardner vs Chocolino) Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI