Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

for those who recently purchases WITPAE

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> for those who recently purchases WITPAE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 7:14:10 PM   
Hammock

I am close to pulling the trigger on this one, especially at the sale price, but I would like to hear from some of you who just bought it.

Any "I wish I had known this first" experiences?
Must haves as far as mods or advice?
Any frustrations?
How's the learning curve?
Thoughts on AI opponent vs PBEM?
How smoothly did the install of everything needed go?

Any advice is greatly welcomed! I have seen a lot of great posts on experienced player helping out the inexperienced and that has been one of the main reasons I am looking to pull the trigger now. TIA!
Post #: 1
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 7:18:47 PM   
Chickenboy

I wish I had an opportunity to buy this game for under $20, instead of just under $100.

After you make the purchase, upgrade to the latest official patch (DL off of Matrix site). Then read the manual. And frequent the boards. More later.

Frustrations? With this beast? Are you kidding? Of course!

Learning curve is tangential. It's a wall. You can do it if you put your mind to it though.

PBEM is for after you are comfortable with the interface, screens and gameplay against the AI. But it's where it's at IMO.

Not bad. You will likely have to tweak your individual system for switches on your shortcut, but it can be managed.

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 2
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 7:50:52 PM   
Hammock

Awesome! Thank you!

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 3
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 7:54:04 PM   
rustysi

From another relative old timer.

+1

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 4
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 8:59:54 PM   
rockmedic109

I regret that there are only 24 hours in a day and I have to spend too much of it at work.

There are no must haves. I use Da Babes. Personal preference. Get the latest patch. After reading the manual skim through a forum search of Alfred's posts for little tidbits of info.

I am frustrated at the lack of free time I have for this adventure {It's not just a game, it's a lifestyle}.

I found the game easier to learn than American Civil War 2. Too me, it is fairly intuitive. Know that you will make mistakes. Know that these mistakes will cost you {in game} time to fix. Don't worry about these mistakes because you have a LOT of turns to make up for it.

I play against the AI. I don't want to be fighting outside my skill level.

The install is easy. Getting it to run right in Windows 10 took some switches. Plenty of threads in Tech Support about it. What initially threw me for a loop was not the switches but that I made an error when typing them in and that took me a little extra time to discover this. The game ran slow trying to scroll the map. The scroll will FLY on Win10 if set right. You just have to get the switches right.

This game is worth buying at full price. Even now. Enjoy.

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 5
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 9:09:10 PM   
dr.hal

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

I wish I had an opportunity to buy this game for under $20, instead of just under $100.

But there is a certain sense of satisfaction knowing that Chickenboy paid full price while most of us didn't!

Welcome aboard Hammock, you have made the right first decision, getting the game....

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 6
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 9:37:02 PM   
Hammock

Thank you all! Does seabees make the "switching" easier to do?

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 7
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 9:52:43 PM   
demyansk

Use that seabed mod to make the shortcut

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 8
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 9:58:21 PM   
Hammock

OK got it!

(in reply to demyansk)
Post #: 9
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 11:07:34 PM   
IdahoNYer

Hammock - simply the best, most extensive computer wargame I've ever played - and believe me, that is saying something!

You'll enjoy the ride. Be prepared to lose a lot of free time with this game though! Be forewarned!

To your "I wish I had known this first experiences?" comment, I wish I spent more time participating on this forum. For a 10 year old game, this forum is incredibly active with great folks who never hesitate to assist. Also, read a few of the AARs, they will give you a great feel for the game.

Are you into the history of the Pacific War? If not.....you will be with this game!

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 10
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 11:50:49 PM   
Hammock

Thank you IdahoNYer! Yup I loved reading about ww2 as a kid. I was an avid member of the Military Book Club.

< Message edited by Hammock -- 12/5/2019 11:51:48 PM >

(in reply to IdahoNYer)
Post #: 11
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/5/2019 11:53:34 PM   
John 3rd

Military Book Club? Man THAT takes me back a ways...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 12
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/6/2019 12:49:08 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hammock

Thoughts on AI opponent vs PBEM?

There are some of us here who only play the AI.

Once you have learned the game, there are some "ironman" scenarios available that are a very challenging gaming experience.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 13
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/6/2019 12:52:34 AM   
Hammock

@John 3rd... I still have a few of them on my bookshelves!

@Ian R...thank you sir!

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 14
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/6/2019 1:11:30 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

Military Book Club? Man THAT takes me back a ways...

+1 I wonder if they still exist?

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 15
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/6/2019 1:23:04 AM   
Hammock

They do!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 16
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 11:34:53 AM   
Bearcat2

"Any "I wish I had known this first" experiences?"

When you first play, there might be a slow scrolling or other computer issues that need to be fixed; wish this utility was available when those issues arose in my game.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4415089

"After eight years as President I have only two regrets: that I have not shot Henry Clay or hanged John C. Calhoun."--1837

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 17
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 1:32:34 PM   
Hammock

Have it downloaded and patched up to 1126b. Seabees also downloaded but need to figure all that out as to what works for my computer. Also have the witptracker installed. Manual printed out and time for a long read. Wish me luck as I drink the Witpae kool-aid.

(in reply to Bearcat2)
Post #: 18
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 1:46:49 PM   
Trugrit

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hammock

Have it downloaded and patched up to 1126b. Seabees also downloaded but need to figure all that out as to what works for my computer. Also have the witptracker installed. Manual printed out and time for a long read. Wish me luck as I drink the Witpae kool-aid.

You are great!

I wish you luck.

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 19
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:07:23 PM   
Hister_MatrixForum

Another new player here. Never thought I would go with this game. It was too steeply priced and seemed too daunting from the point of view of Hearts of Iron 2 Game Arsenal of Democracy CORE mod player but when I saw the 80% sale I couldn't resist. I got my Mark Herman's Empire of the Sun tabletop game that still awaits me to unpack it and learn the ropes. That game is scarrying me. Maybe jumping into this one was a mistake, dunno. If any of you own both, which one is harder to get into?

Updated the game via its "Check for updates" button and then applied the official beta patch and the unofficial one. I also installed Andy's scenarios that I read "everybody uses anyway" because it fixes the scenario AI suppoedly? Hope that was OK for me to do.

So far I have set up the game so that it works great on my ultrawide monitor. Seebees was of much needed help. Game really looks and plays great, much better then I thought it would. If only those paths, roads and railroads would be more clearly visible in the vanilla map! I think I prefer the visuals of the vanilla map to the Bellum Pacifica Kamikaze map mod that has great easily visible graphics for roads etc. and seems to be the best hassle free alternative to vanilla but doesn't appeal to me as much.

I have my eyes set on Unified art mod that many people seem to like. Can I see somewhere how the game looks with it? Is it considered a necessary thing to have, does it improve the gameplay by making things more discernable perhaps?

Tracker is the next thing I will install along with the game - will have to learn how to use it. First glimpse of it via youtube letsplays kept me utterly clueless but I suppose I will eventually get the hang of it.

I have yet to start my first proper game - will go with the Coral Sea scenario first obviously but need to learn the basic commands for unit movements and stances ofcourse. So far I have been only checking different youtube playthroughs and have yet to tackle the manual which is my next to do thing. 300 pages, eh, crazy! :D

I defenitely see how one doesn't have enough time in life for games as monstrous as this one as much as he/she would want to have it, he he. I am a bit worried though that I will burn out from all the needed clickfesting galore and data thrown in my face 'cos I am more of a visual type and not that capable of memorising numerical things and crunching numbers.

Happy that I jumped into this one - let's see if this game too becomes a lifestyle of mine or if it leaves me cold.

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 20
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:16:21 PM   
Anachro

You can use hotkeys to see roads better by pressing 'r' like so:

(in reply to Hister_MatrixForum)
Post #: 21
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:17:20 PM   
BillBrown

For you new players I do recommend Combat Reporter, found here: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2456864
It presents the latest turn reports in a manner that I find very easy to view. You must include the -archive switch in your command line switches.
It is a checkbox in SeaBee.

Post #: 22
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:21:53 PM   
Trugrit

Welcome.

This post has an attachment for a Hot Keys PDF and some other info.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3010162

I believe most of it is up to date.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 23
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:27:24 PM   
Hammock

Got it BillBrown thank you! Anachro thanks for the tip. Not sure I have java on my laptop (surface pro3) or not. Will have to dig into this.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 24
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 6:36:09 PM   
Anachro

Yes, "r" for roads and "y" for rail. Probably the most important are "6" for seeing sub patrol routes, "1" for hex terrain detail, "3" for hex weather, and "z" for plane search arcs.

(in reply to Hammock)
Post #: 25
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 7:29:56 PM   
Hister_MatrixForum

Thank you all 3 for your input/help. Much appreciated. Hotkeys for map road and rail overlays will be of much help. PDF reference sheet is great, need to print it and have it in front of the monitor for sure.

Got me a combat reporter too. Do I need to run the game in windowed mode in order to be able to use it?

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 26
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 8:05:00 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hister_MatrixForum

Thank you all 3 for your input/help. Much appreciated. Hotkeys for map road and rail overlays will be of much help. PDF reference sheet is great, need to print it and have it in front of the monitor for sure.

Got me a combat reporter too. Do I need to run the game in windowed mode in order to be able to use it?

You should be able to use [ALT] + [TAB] to swap between various programs running in the background.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 27
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 8:05:44 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hister_MatrixForum

No, you can ALT-TAB to get to it if you need to. I have two monitors and I like to run my game in windowed mode so I can just move the mouse over and click though things on other programs.

Post #: 28
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 8:27:01 PM   
Hister_MatrixForum

OK, great, thank you.

SPOILER ALERT FOR NEWCOMERS - don't read below!

Started the Coral mission just to see if I can move ships around etc. Apparently I can. I guess I need to use the naval planes to scout the area where Allied Carriers are expected to come from. Don't yet get how their patroling arcs work and also not how the aircraft carrier scouts work. My Tulagy naval force was attacked straight ahead. I fought of merging my CVL task force with the main CV task force to boost my chances. The invasion force will wait in the port. After the merge is done I'll send the carrier force after the enemy's one and send the invason force en route to main target port only after that so that they by chnace don't get mopped up. Hope I'l have enough time to pull this one off. What do you say, doable or not? :D

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 29
RE: for those who recently purchases WITPAE - 12/7/2019 8:29:46 PM   
BillBrown

I never use patrol arcs for ship based aircraft. Not worth it. Some say to not use arcs even for land based air. I have tried both ways
and I am still unsure which to use.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> for those who recently purchases WITPAE Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI