Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Database Suggestions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Database Suggestions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Database Suggestions - 12/7/2019 2:25:55 AM   
chops

I was playing the Flight Tutorial 7- AAW5 mission, and a pop-up message said that Stealth aircraft were available for the player. However, the scenario author failed to state which aircraft had stealth capability in the pop-up message.

So, I tried to search the Database by using the Filter and the word "stealth", but of course that didn't work. So I then started clicking on every aircraft type available to me in the Scenario and viewing the aircraft in the Database. Once again no luck, as no where in any of the aircraft description was stealth mentioned.

Finally I searched on the internet and found that the Chinese stealth aircraft are the J-20 and the J-31. Both of these are available in the scenario, so once again I checked the database but stealth was no where to be found in the descriptions.

So I suggest that the filter function of the database be improved to incorporate search terms such as "stealth" in order to make it easier for the player to locate items of interest. Also, it would be helpful if the player could right click on a unit with in a scenario, and have the option of opening the database for that unit.

Additionally, stealth should be listed in the database for units with that capability under the Properties section of the database.
Post #: 1
RE: Database Suggestions - 12/7/2019 3:23:44 AM   
Rory Noonan

Is there a technical definition of stealth you're working off?

(in reply to chops)
Post #: 2
RE: Database Suggestions - 12/7/2019 12:33:37 PM   
dcpollay

As Apache85 alluded to (and he knows FAR more than I), there is no definition of "stealth." Stealth is mainly a media term that's been adopted into daily usage. There is no specific characteristic that defines stealth, its just sort of a relative reference that means "better" than other platforms. As such, you won't find the term incorporated into the database entries, along with other terms like "invincible", "doomsday weapon," and the more broad,"kickass."

If you want knowledge about these types of platforms, start with what you already did - some internet research on the platforms. For their in-game performance, you can check the database. All that gobbledygook at the bottom of the database entries that talks about decibels (Db) shows each platform's cross-section (radar or sonar profile). You can compare the entries to each other to see how stealthy one platform is compared to another. This is more technical than what I need for the game, but if you want to dive in, that's a good place to start.

"It's all according to how your boogaloo situation stands, you understand."

Formerly known as Colonel Mustard, before I got Slitherine Syndrome.

(in reply to Rory Noonan)
Post #: 3
RE: Database Suggestions - 12/7/2019 2:20:38 PM   
ultradave

The J-20, just to pick one, DOES mention stealth in the text description. First sentence in fact. And then in the next paragraph goes on to describe a whole host of the actual features that make it stealthy.

As mentioned above, really some research into the real world descriptions of platforms is necessary to get the most out of the game, since not every platform has a text description attached to it. For example the J-20 has a nice description but the J-31 does not. Best indication in the DB is to take a look at the radar signatures. Those LOW (-) numbers are a great clue. In addition, if there is no description, many times even the picture will be a good clue. The stealthiest aircraft (and ships too for that matter) have a "look" that is pretty common. F35, J20, J31, F22, ships with large flat angled back superstructure rather than superstructure with lots of projections and broken up edges and separate parts.

Hope that is some help.

PS - as far as the right click to database. If you right click on something on the map, it will open in the sidebar, click on name. Sure it might be convenient on the right click menu but it's almost there already. Still only one click away either way.

< Message edited by ultradave -- 12/7/2019 2:23:22 PM >

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to dcpollay)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Database Suggestions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI