Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Plotting tools, please.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Plotting tools, please. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Plotting tools, please. - 12/8/2019 8:55:06 AM   
StellarRat

Someone has probably asked for this already, but I'd really like some drawing tools for the map. Plotting intercepts and estimates is really difficult in the Silent Service missions. If we could at least draw some lines with tick marks even that would be very helpful. The range and bearing is nice but not persistent.
Post #: 1
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/8/2019 11:10:35 AM   
ultradave

As an interim solution, I use a lot of reference points for that. Drop a reference point at a distant contact, another at where you expect them to be, go deep and lose the contact but use the reference points to plot courses to intercept. Not what you are asking for but useful now.

----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 2
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/8/2019 4:16:03 PM   
RockPaperScissors

Hi ,

You might want to consider this Maneuvering Board tool (http://www.adammil.net/Maneubo/).
I used it all the time, it's very intuitive and even allows loading screenshots i.e. CMO
as background to more easily plot multiple courses in parallel.

Best regards, RPS

(in reply to ultradave)
Post #: 3
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/9/2019 12:48:47 AM   
HaughtKarl

Holy smokes that is cool.

I used something similar way back when I played Silent Hunter 3 and 4 called Mobo. I never knew there was another maneuvering board program on the net. I'm definitely trying that one out.

(in reply to RockPaperScissors)
Post #: 4
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/9/2019 7:06:31 AM   
guanotwozero

That Maneubo does look very cool, but it appears better suited at doing TMA for a study sim (e.g. Dangerous Waters), whereas CMO is primarily a command-level game.

My own preference would be to add a couple of simple features:

1) Allow the placement of a ref point from within the range/bearing tool, via context menu probably.

2) Allow the placement of a ref point by predicting the position of a vessel (with known speed) after a chosen time period.

(in reply to HaughtKarl)
Post #: 5
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/9/2019 8:18:30 PM   
StellarRat

quote:

My own preference would be to add a couple of simple features:

1) Allow the placement of a ref point from within the range/bearing tool, via context menu probably.

2) Allow the placement of a ref point by predicting the position of a vessel (with known speed) after a chosen time period.

That would be a great start. The ability to drop a reference point at the end of the Range and Bearing tool instead of having to very carefully not move the mouse and going into the menu bar would be very nice. Maybe right-click and command "Add Reference Point"? Anyway, I'd like to also leave a line with graduated distance ticks that I can set like this |--|--|--|--| so I can make predictions of location at a given speed. Maybe right-click at the end of Range and Bearing tool then command "Add Reference Line" then submenu "Distance Marks" and a little box to put in nautical miles from 1 to 1000 or whatever. Also, I would like to be able to drop a Reference Circle on the map with similar Range rings that I can set to a value. This would be very useful in determining where something could be over time.

< Message edited by StellarRat -- 12/9/2019 8:19:50 PM >

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 6
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 6:01:21 AM   
TalonCG2

quote:

ORIGINAL: StellarRat
The ability to drop a reference point at the end of the Range and Bearing tool instead of having to very carefully not move the mouse and going into the menu bar would be very nice.

Ctrl+Insert hotkey can be used to add a ref point where your mouse is. Use the hotkey and click.

Clear skies and tailwinds,
Chuck

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 7
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 6:18:12 AM   
guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: TalonCG2
Ctrl+Insert hotkey can be used to add a ref point where your mouse is. Use the hotkey and click.

When I move my mouse hand to the keyboard I have a tendency to move the mouse a little. I'd still prefer a context menu solution.

(in reply to TalonCG2)
Post #: 8
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 6:52:47 AM   
Technopiper

I'd love to have an in-game plotting tool, too. A simple ability to draw straight lines will do. Maybe give us a bearing tool too. This shouldn't be hard and older games like Dangerous Waters had it. Now that CMANO get an upgrade, is it too much to ask for?

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 9
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 7:01:02 AM   
lecrop

+1

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 10
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 7:14:12 AM   
guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Technopiper
Maybe give us a bearing tool too.

There's already one of those - select a friendly unit, context menu (near the bottom), OR in the top menu->Unit Orders. We just can't use it to create a ref point.

(in reply to Technopiper)
Post #: 11
RE: Plotting tools, please. - 12/10/2019 8:36:51 AM   
Technopiper

quote:

ORIGINAL: guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: Technopiper
Maybe give us a bearing tool too.

There's already one of those - select a friendly unit, context menu (near the bottom), OR in the top menu->Unit Orders. We just can't use it to create a ref point.

I was aware of that one, I use Ctrl+D. I was talking about a bearing tool for use with the line tool. I wish course plotting (F3) also shows you the bearing. Ctrl+D is useful but so limited. Once clicked it is gone. I had to gingerly hit "esc" to disable it, then precariously click "Ctrl+Ins", then left click, just to place a ref point.

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Plotting tools, please. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI