Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/1/2019 7:30:27 PM   
aaffins

Yes, at this point we're fairly committed to defending Townsville. Obviously if he dumps in 3-4 divisions we'll have to withdraw, but he would have to do some major shifting to accomplish that. We have pushed forward the 7th Aus Div in along with the 1st Motor Brig, which we've fully upgraded with AIF squads and Matilda tanks. We also have 2 battallions of US Army tanks deployed with plenty of Arty and AT.

We've had a whirlwind weekend of turns, I just sent the 4/14 turn out. Quite a bit of action, but no carriers engaged. Summaries below.

4/10/42

A Dutch SCTF clashes with IJN CLs off Port Hedland:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 57,129, Range 10,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Yura, Shell hits 1
CL Kinu
DD Murakumo
DD Nagatsuki
DD Mochizuki
DD Yuzuki

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 1
DD Banckert
DD Van Nes
DD Witte de With
DD Evertsen, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Day Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 59,128, Range 21,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Yura
CL Kinu
DD Murakumo, Shell hits 1
DD Nagatsuki, Shell hits 1
DD Mochizuki, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Yuzuki

Allied Ships
CL Java, Shell hits 4
DD Banckert, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
DD Van Nes
DD Witte de With, Shell hits 3, on fire

Unfortunately we're not able track down the two APDs, Hishu and Hagi, before they land an SNLF Co. despite running into them 5 times. Looks like the IJN lookouts came through.

KB does not appear to be sticking around, moving north. Our carriers link up off the coast of the South Island.

We detect several TFs in the Aleutians, so our BB TF (Arizona + Tennessee) moves in to investigate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 11, 1942

Fairly quite turn. The KB (if he has all his carriers together is that the super KB?) continues moving away to the north. We move around the southern tip of the South Island, heading to Auckland for gas.

That SNLF Co. is unable to dislodge our entrenched base force at Port Hedland.

In the Aleutians our BBs get within 7 hexes of Adak without being detected. There are enemy TFs at Atka and Adak so we route through Atka first.

A sub posted to intercept traffic between Hokkaido and Sakhalin encounters an enemy convoy for the first time that I can remember in this game. Seems surprising to me he would only now start pulling those resources and oil to the Home Islands. Wonder what kind of state his economy is in.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 12, 1942

Actions starts to pick up. In the Aleutians our BBs make it to Atka but miss the enemy TFs. Vals (25) from Adak bounce a few bombs off their armor, but no significant damage. The enemy TFs appear to be scattering, so we set our boys to bombardment since we're just two hexes away.

Aussie DDs clash with the IJN CLs off Port Hedland but not much comes of it.

Night Time Surface Combat, near Port Hedland at 57,129, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CL Nagara
CL Isuzu
CL Yura
CL Kinu
DD Murakumo
DD Nagatsuki
DD Mochizuki
DD Yuzuki, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DD Napier
DD Nestor
DD Nizam
DD Norman, Shell hits 1

The Super KB is stopped at Norfolk I. Our carriers are off Chistchurch.

At Raoul I. the enemy lands 4 SNLFs and tries to wipe out our troops:

Ground combat at Raoul Island (128,177)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4223 troops, 46 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 212

Defending force 2112 troops, 26 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 64

Japanese adjusted assault: 126

Allied adjusted defense: 52

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
369 casualties reported
Squads: 17 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 11 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

Allied ground losses:
287 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 17 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Assaulting units:
2nd Indpt SNLF Coy
47th Naval Guard Unit
42nd Naval Guard Unit
43rd Naval Guard Unit
61st Nav Gd /1
34th JNAF AF Unit
6th Air Defense AA Rgt /1
7th Air Defense AA Rgt /1

Defending units:
1st Marine Raider Battalion
2nd Marine Raider Battalion
N Force Detachment

We're in trouble but there's not a great deal we can do tomorrow. Many forces are closing but obviously with the KB just a day's sail away at Norfolk we have to tread carefully.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 13, 1942

He surprises us by sending a SCTF in to counter our BBs. Between us being set for bombardment, 7% moonlight, Razio Tanaka and the IJN's advantage in night fighting he's able to beat us back pretty well:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Great Sitkin Island at 163,52, Range 8,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba
CA Kinugasa, Shell hits 3, on fire
CA Furutaka
CA Kako, Shell hits 6, on fire
DD Kamikaze
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
DD Matsukaze

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Shell hits 6
BB Tennessee, Shell hits 9, on fire
DD Bagley
DD Helm, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Ralph Talbot, Shell hits 7, and is sunk
DD Perkins, Shell hits 4, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Preston, Shell hits 1, on fire

Reduced sighting due to 7% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 7% moonlight: 9,000 yards
Range closes to 20,000 yards...
Range closes to 14,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 8,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 8,000 yards
Tanaka, Raizo crosses the 'T'

I doubt any of that damage would have been all that serious, but it left us just 5 hexes away from Adak at daybreak...and now those Vals have been joined by Nells and Kates:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Sagigik Island at 166,50

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 26,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 14 minutes

Japanese aircraft
G3M2 Nell x 31

Japanese aircraft losses
G3M2 Nell: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Torpedo hits 1
BB Tennessee, Torpedo hits 4, on fire, heavy damage

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Sagigik Island at 166,50

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 23,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B5N1 Kate x 5
D3A1 Val x 8

Allied aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
D3A1 Val: 1 damaged

Allied aircraft losses
OS2U-3 Kingfisher: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
BB Arizona, Bomb hits 4, on fire
BB Tennessee, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Vals dropped another 8 bombs on Arizona on top of that. She's at 59 sys damage with 41 fires...don't think her chances are very good of escaping this.

In Burma our two divisions are almost to Akyab, just have to clear out the remnants of the units he air dropped into Akyab then we can make our way across the river. He has not contested air superiority in this theater for a few weeks and we've been bombing his units, albeit ineffectually. The IJA 56th Div has pushed up the road from Lashio over the Chinese border...is he going to commit another unit unrestricted unit to China?

At Port Hedland the BB Resolution delivers a powerful bombardment:

Naval bombardment of Port Hedland at 57,129

Allied Ships
BB Resolution

Japanese ground losses:
252 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 12 disabled
Non Combat: 4 destroyed, 12 disabled

BB Resolution firing at 8th Indpt SNLF Coy

In SoPac one enemy carrier group moves towards Lord Howe, the other disappears from our search. He was keeping his AOs near Noumea so they could have moved out of our range to refuel, or we may simply have lost them, weather is poor. At Raoul I. his forces only get a 1:2 so we can probably hold out a bit longer. We send the CL Nashville in at max speed to try to take out the enemy PBs. The CVs move to Auckland for gas. The CA Vincennes moves towards an enemy TF near Hoorn I.

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 5385 troops, 58 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 185

Defending force 1966 troops, 26 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 49

Japanese adjusted assault: 39

Allied adjusted defense: 49

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
652 casualties reported
Squads: 5 destroyed, 62 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 7 (1 destroyed, 6 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
152 casualties reported
Squads: 7 destroyed, 6 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
47th Naval Guard Unit
42nd Naval Guard Unit
2nd Indpt SNLF Coy
43rd Naval Guard Unit
61st Nav Gd /1
7th Air Defense AA Regiment
6th Air Defense AA Regiment
34th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
N Force Detachment

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 331
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 12:53:59 AM   
aaffins

April 14, 1942

The Arizona is finished off by Nells from Adak.

The CA Vincennes attacks an enemy TF that was doing something near Hoorn Islands...unloading a unit perhaps?

Night Time Surface Combat, near Hoorn Islands at 138,157, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
PB Aso Maru #3
PB Busho Maru, Shell hits 3, on fire, heavy damage
PB Chitose Maru, Shell hits 4, heavy fires
PB Choko Maru #2
PB Eifuku Maru, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
PB Eiko Maru
PB Fukui Maru, Shell hits 2, on fire
PB Kenkon Maru, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CA Vincennes, Shell hits 1
DD Gwin

Air search is now showing both large carrier groups 2 hexes from Lord Howe I. presumably the 'Super KB'. We position ourselves to strike Raoul while we know the enemy is a couple days away.

In Burma we'll need one more day to clear the way to Akyab.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 332
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 4:45:44 PM   
Anachro

Seems to me like a haphazard usage of your battleships in vulnerable places without air cover. Conserving your slow BB's is nice for the future grind of amphibious assault.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 333
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 5:34:50 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

ORIGINAL: Anachro

Seems to me like a haphazard usage of your battleships in vulnerable places without air cover. Conserving your slow BB's is nice for the future grind of amphibious assault.

+1. Large caliber tubes are essential in the later war for the Allies. Make all kinds of offensive things simpler, while under solid CAP.
In general, waiting and having the assets on idle is one of the hard things for the Allied player in the earlier part of the game. It seems like you are wasting time, while you can have them used here or there to cause harm to Japan. But the risks are rarely worth it, unless you keep what you invade or you force an advantageous CV battle. And it is hard to do either of those in the first half of 42

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 12/2/2019 5:35:36 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 334
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 6:04:59 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: GetAssista

quote:

+1. Large caliber tubes are essential in the later war for the Allies. Make all kinds of offensive things simpler, while under solid CAP.
In general, waiting and having the assets on idle is one of the hard things for the Allied player in the earlier part of the game. It seems like you are wasting time, while you can have them used here or there to cause harm to Japan. But the risks are rarely worth it, unless you keep what you invade or you force an advantageous CV battle. And it is hard to do either of those in the first half of 42

Yep. The situation around Adak was unfortunate and our fault. I think we had gotten used to foul weather working to our advantage up there. Lord Howe is another story. We actually just chatted about this today prior to you're entries. It reinforces the message we told ourselves.

I am !00% guilty of "We need to strike somewhere" Syndrome. It's cost us in VPs and future assets. Fins has a legit excuse of not playing the Allies so much, I can't play that card.

There isn't too much to be optimistic about. Townsville will be tough to defend, but if he keeps the KB there to cover bombardments, that's a consolation prize.

We were aggressive with our CVs, and his immediate reaction was to consolidate all forces together rather than strike out and risk his assets. It'll be very tough to get him out of position.

On the plus side, a local place by us had an incredible gin drink: Some shrub, blueberry puree, egg white, and lots of gin. Made us remember: it wasn't over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor, and it ain't over now!

By the way the AAR should be up to date with our turns.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 335
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 6:41:14 PM   
Anachro

There's nothing wrong with striking somewhere. I would never advocate a passive Allied strategy in '42. Just make sure you strike where KB is not, or if KB is gonna be in the area, make sure its near heave LBA assets of your own. I am looking forward to your partnership as you drive back the good Admiral and his aggressive expansion into the SoPac which I find can be quite porous and too large an area to adequately defend.

(in reply to Cheesesteak)
Post #: 336
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/2/2019 7:05:56 PM   
GetAssista

quote:

There's nothing wrong with striking somewhere. I would never advocate a passive Allied strategy in '42.

It was not about being active vs passive - active is always better, you need to keep Japan honest. It was about types of assets you use while being active - those you can risk vs those you better not. The 1st type you get much more later, but their usefulness declines or is outshined with something else as war progresses. The 2nd type you get not that many, and the usefulness increases to the point of being key assets late war. E.g. CA/CL/DDs fall into the 1st type - run them around, do not be overly afraid to lose them. CVs/BBs/AKAs are the 2nd, shepherd them to the point of hiding away through 42, unless you are absolutely sure you are in the clear (and that's rare).

Specifically BBs' primary role in the war is shore bombardment and amphibious support. Mass usage (with AKEs and air cover) rapidly makes any particular shore base untenable for Japan mid/late war, can punch through high forts and bad terrain, is resistant to whatever CDs and mines (more bombardment distance helps), helps to rack up defenders' disruption like no other thing Allies have so that you can have your 2:1 earlier. And upgraded BBs are also excellent AA platforms for the Death Star to boot. Old BBs are just as good in the primary role as new ones. But they are mediocre in the battles of the early war - they are slow, they are torp magnets, and their bombardments are not decisive because you will not follow through. They add little value early, and cost a lot in potential future returns if you lose them early

< Message edited by GetAssista -- 12/2/2019 7:09:24 PM >

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 337
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/3/2019 12:44:45 AM   
aaffins

I think it's worth noting that in both of the instances where we've lost BBs recently we were using them for shore bombardment is apparently advantageous circumstances, but the enemy made clever maneuvers that worked out. Not that that excuses it, but we're under not illusions that the USN BBs are great SCTF assets. We also had a pretty light PH raid, but have had fairly heavy cruiser losses, which is certainly coloring my valuation of the BBs. That said, clearly giving 200 VP gifts and hampering future operations is not a sustainable practice so we'll be cutting way back on BB deployments. At present the only USN BB in action is the New Mexico, which is under the cover of our CVs.

Tax Day, 1942

A trio of Japanese CAs deliver a fairly effective strike against Townsville:

Naval bombardment of Townsville at 92,144 - Coastal Guns Fire Back!

6 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
CA Nachi
CA Haguro
CA Myoko
DD Tachekaze
DD Kasumi
DD Arare
DD Asagumo
DD Yamagumo
DD Natsugumo
DD Arashio

Allied ground losses:
212 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 52 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 11 (1 destroyed, 10 disabled)
Vehicles lost 14 (1 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Light Industry hits 3
Airbase hits 15
Airbase supply hits 13
Runway hits 53
Port hits 17
Port fuel hits 6
Port supply hits 1

CA Nachi firing at Townsville
CA Haguro firing at Townsville
CA Myoko firing at Townsville
DD Tachekaze firing at 18th Australian Brigade
DD Kasumi firing at 18th Australian Brigade
DD Arare firing at 21st Australian Brigade
DD Asagumo firing at C/D Battery Heavy Coastal Artillery Regiment
C/D Battery Heavy Coastal Artillery Regiment firing at DD Asagumo
DD Yamagumo firing at 21st Australian Brigade
DD Natsugumo firing at Townsville
DD Arashio firing at Townsville

Note the hits on the 18th and 21st Aus Brigades, if our opponent's attention to detail is high, and all evidence this far suggests it is, he can now confirm he's up against at least some elements of I Australian Corps. Interesting to see how he interprets that info. This TF was covered by what appears to be a couple of CVL/CVEs as Zeroes also swept Townsville in force. All of our fighters have been pulled south to cover Brisbane and Sydney against possible enemy carrier raids.

Air search is now showing a large grouping of TFs just off Lord Howe I. Definitely the full KB, I'm guessing supplemented. Not sure what their objective is just sitting there...unless it's just to keep our air assets south...we do know at least one IJA division is embarked based on air search. If he were to try an aggressive landing at Bowen or Rockhampton it might put us in trouble but we have decent garrisons at both. We'll see, that would really be out of character for his gameplay to this point.

With the knowledge of the enemy carriers' whereabouts we push forward at Raoul I. BBs Warspite and New Mexico to bombard, all 5 CVs to launch air strikes and sweep those stupid looking Rufes from the skies. Evac convoys in to get our boys out. Cruiser SCTF to screen against any incursions.

My turn to do something dumb in China...got overconfident and his forces tripled overnight:

Ground combat at 85,46 (near Nanyang)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 45224 troops, 278 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 1581

Defending force 6959 troops, 0 guns, 1034 vehicles, Assault Value = 578

Allied adjusted assault: 572

Japanese adjusted defense: 653

Allied assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: op mode(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
Vehicles lost 92 (2 destroyed, 90 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5082 casualties reported
Squads: 28 destroyed, 510 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 46 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 31 disabled
Guns lost 27 (2 destroyed, 25 disabled)

Assaulting units:
32nd Chinese Corps
59th Chinese Corps
68th Chinese Corps
45th Chinese Corps
67th Chinese Corps
75th Chinese Corps
26th Group Army
33rd Group Army

Defending units:
8th Tank Regiment
14th Tank Regiment
1st Tank Regiment
7th Tank Regiment
6th Tank Regiment
12th Tank Regiment
2nd Tank Regiment
23rd Tank Regiment
11th Tank Regiment

(in reply to GetAssista)
Post #: 338
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/3/2019 8:21:16 AM   
CaptBeefheart

At the risk of piling on, slow BBs are best parked in 1942 as in real life. I like using CLs a lot. The Brits have plenty and so does everyone else. CAs I use a bit more judiciously. CLs and CAs can hit quick and skedaddle, and they are not too bad at avoiding torps and bombs if they get caught in an airstrike.

Unless you have pretty good air superiority, which is rare in '42, slow BBs are a liability.

That drink you guys stumbled upon sounds almost as good as a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster.

Cheers,
CB

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 339
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/3/2019 8:37:39 AM   
Encircled

Thats a long, single, coastal rail/road supply route up to Townsville.

Japanese can cut it at any time.

No point in sending substantial forces up there at the moment, until you are sure the KB isn't around.

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 340
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/4/2019 2:48:24 AM   
aaffins

Oh my gosh guys we get it, no more BB fun

April 16, 1942

Try a couple B-17 raids in NE Oz, don't go well as we lose 4, but do confirm 38th ID is just outside Townsville.

Big hit on Raoul doesn't do a lot:

Afternoon Air attack on 42nd Naval Guard Unit, at 128,177 (Raoul Island)

Raid detected at 40 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 15 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2-N Rufe x 13

Allied aircraft
F2A-3 Buffalo x 8
F4F-3 Wildcat x 37
SBD-2 Dauntless x 44
SBD-3 Dauntless x 105
TBD-1 Devastator x 73

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2-N Rufe: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4F-3 Wildcat: 1 destroyed
SBD-2 Dauntless: 4 damaged
SBD-3 Dauntless: 3 damaged
TBD-1 Devastator: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese ground losses:
54 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled

The KB has moved back east, now 6 hexes from Lord Howe, 26 hexes from Raoul.

So basically we have one day of freedom before we're under threat. We decide to evac as many troops as we can and fly another strike along with hopefully a bombardment (range on this will borderline) then we probably have to head for the hills.

(in reply to Encircled)
Post #: 341
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/8/2019 1:47:37 PM   
aaffins

Was traveling for work this week so have not been updating. We did get in a few turns though.

April 17, 1942

Our CVs fly another large strike at Raoul Island with similar results to yesterday. The BBs Warspite and Mississippi bombard with limited effect. A pair of xAPs get most of the N Force Detachment away safely.

We had been flying some sweeps and strikes in Burma against the retreating IJA paras between Akyab and Mandalay. He put up an LRCAP of Oscars today and got lucky...our sweeps flew after the bombers AND our bombers got separated from the AVG squadron we had flying escort. Lost more than 30 RAF planes. Ouch.

The KB appears to be between Norfolk I. and Noumea so we decide we can afford another day of action around Raoul I.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 18, 1942

A couple of cruisers detached from our CV TF continue withe bombardments of Raoul and our planes fly another strike. Apparently suspecting us of pulling out, Yamaguchi launches a shock attack. I thought we might be in trouble with most of the combat power of the N Force pulled out, but perhaps our bombardments and raids are effective. Also should not underestimate that power of those USMC raider squads. Believe their anti-personnel rating is nearly double a normal combat squad.

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 4963 troops, 57 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 157

Defending force 1027 troops, 22 guns, 2 vehicles, Assault Value = 29

Japanese adjusted assault: 70

Allied adjusted defense: 76

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)

Japanese ground losses:
328 casualties reported
Squads: 10 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Guns lost 12 (4 destroyed, 8 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
84 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 11 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled

Assaulting units:
43rd Naval Guard Unit
47th Naval Guard Unit
42nd Naval Guard Unit
61st Nav Gd /1
6th Air Defense AA Regiment
7th Air Defense AA Regiment
34th JNAF AF Unit

Defending units:
N Force Detachment

Quiet elsewhere, enemy is mopping up Sumatra and tries a para attack on Sibolga, which goes poorly for him.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 19, 1942

A second evac TF gets the rest of the Kiwis out of Raoul and most of the Marines. Our carriers and other combat ships move out of range to the SE. No KB sighting.

IJN DDs clear our remaining PT boats out of Townsville. Something is brewing here we suspect, but don't have a great read on it yet. He still has 2-3 divisions worth of troops sitting just a hex outside Townsville. We get SigInt saying IJA 2nd Div is heading for Rockhampton...that's unlikely considering how he tends to use waypoints to confuse SigInt, but that's such a vulnerable hex for us, so we pull a tank Bn. back to reinforce the garrison we have there. Also move some seabees to speed up fortification.

In Burma we've been messing around with the RM Viper Force, cutting the rail line from Rangoon into Middle Burma. Hopefully it's annoying. It also yields some useful intel here, as he uses the IJA 18th Div to recapture Toungoo. That's now 5 divisions we've identified in Burma over the last month either via SigInt or combat. To me that represents a pretty significant commitment on his part. With 3 divisions in Australia, one in the Phillipines and all of his 'extra' Scen 2 divisions in China he really only has 3 unaccounted for. He probably has enough PP to buy out one more, but the point is it would be tough for him to assemble a force that could threaten something major like NZ or Ceylon.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

April 20, 1942

APDs get the last of our ground forces out of Raoul. Ultimately this op was a failure since we failed to take the island, but I think doing something offensive this early in the game is good. Plus he took more casualties than us and now has 4 SNLFs there instead of being used for offense. He's also probably going to want to pull them out at some point...might be something we can exploit if he doesn't use CVs to provide air cover.

In China Liuchow falls. We could not get reinforcements there fast enough after Nanning fell. Very curious to see what his next move will be. He could turn north and try to threaten Central China, but that'd leave him with quite a long supply line. Could push on to Kweilin and work on encircling Changsha. Or he could turn south and take Wuchow, then reinforce his stalled forces at Kukong. Or perhaps he stops using so much unrestricted AV in China and puts them to work somewhere more 'interesting'.

Ground combat at Liuchow (74,55)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 49097 troops, 524 guns, 351 vehicles, Assault Value = 1439

Defending force 21363 troops, 141 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 446

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 1693

Allied adjusted defense: 379

Japanese assault odds: 4 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Liuchow !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: leaders(+), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+), disruption(-)

Japanese ground losses:
3215 casualties reported
Squads: 40 destroyed, 131 disabled
Non Combat: 2 destroyed, 38 disabled
Engineers: 19 destroyed, 36 disabled
Guns lost 52 (3 destroyed, 49 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
6271 casualties reported
Squads: 388 destroyed, 62 disabled
Non Combat: 453 destroyed, 40 disabled
Engineers: 20 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 61 (53 destroyed, 8 disabled)
Units retreated 11
Units destroyed 1

Defeated Allied Units Retreating!

Assaulting units:
5th Amphibious Brigade
5th Guards Division
7th Ind.Tank Brigade
6th Guards Division
4th Guards Division
17th Indpt Guards Regiment
3rd Provisional Base Force
21st Army

Defending units:
64th Chinese Corps
89th Chinese Corps
48th Chinese Corps
74th Chinese Corps
31st Chinese Corps
15th Chinese Corps
8th New Chinese Corps
9th Group Army
4th War Area
51st Chinese Corps
7th Chinese Base Force
9th Chinese Base Force

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 342
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/8/2019 2:21:10 PM   
aaffins

April 21, 1942

A fun one for us - We've had a PT squadron posted at Dutch Harbor for some time. Enemy TF, apparently smaller ships, appeared at Umnak 2 hexes away last turn, so we sent them out...did not expect this:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Umnak Island at 169,51, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese aircraft
no flights

Japanese aircraft losses
E7K2 Alf: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Aoba, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
CA Furutaka, Torpedo hits 4, and is sunk
DD Kamikaze
DD Asakaze
DD Harukaze
DD Matsukaze
PB Ikuta Maru
PB Kogyoku Maru, Shell hits 1
PB Kensin Maru
PB Konsan Maru, Shell hits 2

Allied Ships
PT-38
PT-39
PT-40
PT-42
PT-43
PT-44
PT-45
PT-46, Shell hits 5, and is sunk
PT-47, Shell hits 9, and is sunk
PT-48
PT Q-113

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 32% moonlight: 4,000 yards
Range closes to 10,000 yards...
Range closes to 9,000 yards...
Range closes to 8,000 yards...
Range closes to 7,000 yards...
Range closes to 6,000 yards...
Range closes to 5,000 yards...
Range closes to 4,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 4,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 4,000 yards
Camara K. gains tactical advantage

These are the two CAs that got away unscathed from the battle last week where we lost the BBs. I'm guessing they may not have had full ammo loads.

USAAF P-39s also get back at the Oscars over Burma, downing 15 according to intel for the loss of just 3 Aircobras.

With the KB pulled back we've moved some fighters back north in Australia. Two USAAF squadrons will try to sweep the units outside Townsville today. A newly arrived recon squadron will also try to get use some better intel on what's going on at Cairns.

After some debate, we've decided to split up our carriers. Our reasoning is that neither side seems interested in engaging in a big carrier battle at this point in the war (we know we aren't, he passed up an opportunity to force the issue at Raoul) so we're better served to have more areas covered. The Lexington class ships will return to Pearl (they're also due a major AA upgrade) and the Yorktown class ships will move west.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 343
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/8/2019 11:30:15 PM   
aaffins

April 22, 1942

Rockhampton, which I feel is the biggest weak point for us right now, comes into the gunsight of the IJN today. We had sent a CL TF to intercept reported transports in the Coral Sea...not transports:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Rockhampton at 99,152, Range 11,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
SOC-1 Seagull: 1 destroyed

Japanese Ships
CA Takao, Shell hits 3
CA Atago
CA Maya
CA Chokai, Shell hits 3
DD Kagero, Shell hits 1
DD Kuroshio
DD Oyashio, Shell hits 1
DD Hatsukaze

Allied Ships
CL Perth
CL Marblehead, Shell hits 15, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
DD Barker
DD Bulmer
DD Edsall
DD John D. Edwards
DD Stuart

Maximum visibility in Partly Cloudy Conditions and 42% moonlight: 11,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards
Friedell, Wilhelm L crosses the 'T'

Probably lucky to get away with just the Marblehead lost.

That TF and a second CA TF with 4x CAs delivered a pair of hits to Rockhampton:

Allied ground losses:
139 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 26 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled

Light Industry hits 1
Airbase hits 20
Airbase supply hits 3
Runway hits 44
Port hits 18
Port fuel hits 9
Port supply hits 7

Allied ground losses:
158 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 23 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 2 disabled
Vehicles lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 8
Runway hits 34
Port hits 23
Port fuel hits 7
Port supply hits 4

The KB followed that up with this:

Afternoon Air attack on Lark Battalion, at 95,152 (Rockhampton)

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid spotted at 20 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 7 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 73
B5N1 Kate x 16
B5N2 Kate x 85
D3A1 Val x 42

Japanese aircraft losses
B5N1 Kate: 2 damaged
B5N2 Kate: 1 damaged
D3A1 Val: 2 damaged

Allied ground losses:
259 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 27 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 16 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

No sign of transports as yet..although we do have that report of an enemy division moving to Rockhampton a few turns ago. I don't think you commit this much firepower to a raid, but you would think if it's a prelude to an invasion that you'd have the 'phibs reasonably close, right? We'll see. We're moving the 2nd Aus Div, which is an ~200 AV militia unit in. It's not a strong unit, but combined with the US Tank Bn. and Aus Motor Brig. we have there, I think it'll hold up to a division with our 3x forts. Just need 5 days to get it into position. Obviously after the attacks today the AF is completely trashed, which may or may not be a good thing.

Slightly to the north, our P-400s finally put a hurting on the Zero unit operating out of Cairns. Intel says 11 downed for just 6 of our own. This is more in line with what I've been expecting considering they're flying LRCAP 3 hexes away and we're sweeping just 2 hexes from our airfield at Charter Towers. Our boys rest this turn and hand off to an 'all-star' P-40 unit that saw action early in the war in the Philippines. If that goes well it'll be time for the bombers.

In China the IJA 56th Div pushes us out of Paoshan. Extremely not ideal giving up a mountain hex with a required shock attack (river crossing), but that's another unrestricted division being used in China...

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 344
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/9/2019 12:02:41 AM   
Anachro

Grats on sinking the enemy CA (with a PT boat of all things)! Really questionable on your opponents part to put them into a TF with slow PBs. I would definitely try to hold onto Rockhampton, as you don't want the rail link cut between Townsville and Sydney. Where are you allocating US divisions currently?

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 345
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/9/2019 1:10:43 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

Grats on sinking the enemy CA (with a PT boat of all things)! Really questionable on your opponents part to put them into a TF with slow PBs. I would definitely try to hold onto Rockhampton, as you don't want the rail link cut between Townsville and Sydney. Where are you allocating US divisions currently?

most of them are in transit to this area. I don't have the map in front of me now, but suffice to say that if we can hold a reasonable line for ~2 weeks, things look much better for us. Two weeks is a long time, however.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 346
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/9/2019 2:59:13 PM   
Cheesesteak

A US Army tank commander relaxing on the bank of Fitzroy River wakes from a wine stupor to the sound of klaxons...

Post #: 347
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/9/2019 3:10:00 PM   
Cheesesteak

The officer in question bears a remarkable resemblance to the Professor in Animal House. His former CO has been KIA for several weeks but never having been reported dead.

Allied forces have committed to the defense of Townsville, but he, being wise, husbanded his force in reserve.

Hundreds of Japanese planes attack, bombardment after bombardment hits the town. The airfield, port, and much of the surrounding countryside are burning. Countless foes land and instantly establish a beachhead. He hears one of his crew mutter: "Crap!"

The nearest friendly forces are split between holding Townsville and Brisbane. The Allied fleet, humbled by defeat and using antiquated tactics, dare not come to his rescue. To stand and fight would be as mad as putting one Sherman up against three Tigers.

What will our hero do?

Post #: 348
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/10/2019 3:30:43 PM   
Anachro

Does this mean he landed at Rockhampton in force? Can you hold it? If not, might be time to flee, flee quickly from Townsville.

Post #: 349
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/10/2019 4:14:12 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

Does this mean he landed at Rockhampton in force? Can you hold it? If not, might be time to flee, flee quickly from Townsville.

It does.

There was either some confusion or trickeration with TFs and shipping leading up to this. As Fins mentioned, we picked up notice of what looked to be an AP convoy, and sent forces to interdict. They were replaced by CAs, so we thought it a bombardment attack in force.

We then received notification of troops landing, and troops lost during landing on the combat report. When we loaded the turn, we saw no IJA forces on the hex with us. Likely he was doing something involving maximizing Ops points. Regardless, we think we are facing around 2 divisions.

Despite Oddball's best efforts, Rockhampton will almost certainly fall in the first or second days attack due to the high disruption. Our forts are at 4, but troops are at 70+ disruption from visiting Kates and BBs. Blech!

Evac'ing Townsville, for better or worse, has been rejected. The Americal is ~2 weeks away from frontlines, the 28th is about ~4 weeks off, and the 32nd isn't far behind. Importantly, a large portion of the 1 Aus Corps is available to us right at the outset. This doesn't include 2 Marine regiments + assorted units we are holding at Auckland in case of hijinks.

Fins and I chatted - if he didnt have so much unrestricted AV committed in China, this would be another story. As it is, we have potential for a protracted and advantageous fight.

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 350
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/10/2019 4:23:54 PM   
Anachro

Keep in mind that if he moves far enough south, you'll get auto-reinforcements triggered. Don't remember the exact location, but might be around Brisbane. Actually, the Australian mainland one hex South of Brisbane and Tasmania. If you have the ability, I'd do continuous bombardment of Rockhampton once he takes it. He can't operate nearby with KB unless he has fuel and a port there. Keep the airfield and port heavily damaged to deny its use to him.

REINFORCEMENTS TRIGGERED LINK

< Message edited by Anachro -- 12/10/2019 4:24:14 PM >

Post #: 351
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/10/2019 4:59:38 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

Keep in mind that if he moves far enough south, you'll get auto-reinforcements triggered. Don't remember the exact location, but might be around Brisbane. Actually, the Australian mainland one hex South of Brisbane and Tasmania. If you have the ability, I'd do continuous bombardment of Rockhampton once he takes it. He can't operate nearby with KB unless he has fuel and a port there. Keep the airfield and port heavily damaged to deny its use to him.

REINFORCEMENTS TRIGGERED LINK

It's like you were on our text chain

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 352
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 2:23:11 AM   
aaffins

This Rockhampton deal is kind of a setback. It's the one location on the whole map where I felt we had significant vulnerability right now. And it would have been closed in a week because I had just send the 2nd Aus Div there to garrison. Oh well.

The smart move might be to pull out of Townsville, but I think we can hold. He just doesn't have the land units to dislodge us and we're going to build up really fast. His supply line is brutal and we have 120K supplies stockpiled at Townsville/Charter Towers and nearly 1 million in South Aus.

Edit: A positive from this turn (4/23/42) is that the USAAF did great against the IJN Zeroes in NE Oz for a second day in a row:

Afternoon Air attack on 90th Infantry Regiment, at 91,143 , near Townsville

Weather in hex: Light rain

Raid spotted at 30 NM, estimated altitude 24,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 10 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 10

Allied aircraft
P-40E Warhawk x 22

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M2 Zero: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
P-40E Warhawk: 1 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
9 x P-40E Warhawk sweeping at 20000 feet

CAP engaged:
Tainan Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
(14 plane(s) diverted to support CAP in hex.)
0 plane(s) not yet engaged, 10 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 10000 , scrambling fighters between 0 and 10000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 4 minutes

< Message edited by aaffins -- 12/11/2019 3:19:48 AM >

Post #: 353
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 3:26:09 AM   
Anachro

Have you tried experimenting with layered CAP? LoBaron in his tests (or maybe someone else) found good results when you had different wings at different maneuver bands (10k, 15k, 20k, etc.) Electing to hold Townsville is a risk, but if you feel you can hold it for awhile with the forces on hand and have good supply then could be worth it as long as you feel pretty confident that you can get force to Australia in time capable of pushing him out of Rockhampton.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 354
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 3:35:47 AM   
aaffins

quote:

Have you tried experimenting with layered CAP? LoBaron in his tests (or maybe someone else) found good results when you had different wings at different maneuver bands (10k, 15k, 20k, etc.) Electing to hold Townsville is a risk, but if you feel you can hold it for awhile with the forces on hand and have good supply then could be worth it as long as you feel pretty confident that you can get force to Australia in time capable of pushing him out of Rockhampton.

So far our opponent has not been conducting too many problematic raids. That may change, but to this point our focus has been more on trying to clear the way for aerial bombardment to disrupt airfield expansion at the small fields at Cairns and Townsville. That said, I'm not familiar with layered CAP, is there a post about it somewhere?

I think we can make it work for us. We have about 1,200 AV at Townsville/Charter Towers. Of that about 700 is quality stuff - AIF squads, modern tanks, etc; the rest is militia, armored cars and various other auxiliary units. Our supply situation is good. To contain the Rockhampton incursion we can deploy the 7th Aus Div in a few days as it rails in from Perth and will have 4 US Army regiments in approx two weeks. We can grab 3 more regiments we have stationed in NZ and they can be here in 3-4 weeks. Four more regiments just left SF, so maybe 2 months on them. 32nd Inf Div will embark in the next few days and they'll be on the way. I think that's enough mass to stop him in the short term and then counter him over the summer (winter technically I suppose, this is the Southern Hemisphere).

(in reply to Anachro)
Post #: 355
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 3:44:07 AM   
aaffins

April 24, 1942

Rockhampton falls as expected. We were hoping we might get a slight delay but no such luck:

Ground combat at Rockhampton (95,152)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 24623 troops, 247 guns, 73 vehicles, Assault Value = 867

Defending force 2727 troops, 42 guns, 161 vehicles, Assault Value = 146

Japanese adjusted assault: 365

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 19 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rockhampton !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
276 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
819 casualties reported
Squads: 31 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 112 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 26 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 9 (8 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 137 (134 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 5
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
33rd Division
2nd Division

Defending units:
2/4th Armoured Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
3rd Motor Brigade
Rockhampton RAN Base Force
Bobcats USN Naval Construction Battalion
Lark Bn /1

Not quite sure what's going on here, drunken squadron leader perhaps? Nonetheless, interesting that he is flying so much CAP over what I would consider a backwater base:

Morning Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 76

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 4 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (25 airborne, 51 on standby, 0 scrambling)
25 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 356
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 7:37:41 AM   
Alfred

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaffins

... I'm not familiar with layered CAP, is there a post about it somewhere? ...

Read this thread.

https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3762254&mpage=1&key=layered�

There is a more detailed post of mine on layered CAP but I haven't yet retrieved it. In short you have to factor in manoeuvre bands and rates of climb in setting layered CAP.

Alfred

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 357
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 3:29:53 PM   
Cheesesteak

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaffins

April 24, 1942

Rockhampton falls as expected. We were hoping we might get a slight delay but no such luck:

Ground combat at Rockhampton (95,152)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 24623 troops, 247 guns, 73 vehicles, Assault Value = 867

Defending force 2727 troops, 42 guns, 161 vehicles, Assault Value = 146

Japanese adjusted assault: 365

Allied adjusted defense: 19

Japanese assault odds: 19 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Rockhampton !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
276 casualties reported
Squads: 2 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
819 casualties reported
Squads: 31 destroyed, 1 disabled
Non Combat: 112 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 26 destroyed, 0 disabled
Guns lost 9 (8 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 137 (134 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 5
Units destroyed 1

Assaulting units:
33rd Division
2nd Division

Defending units:
2/4th Armoured Regiment
754th Tank Battalion
3rd Motor Brigade
Rockhampton RAN Base Force
Bobcats USN Naval Construction Battalion
Lark Bn /1

Not quite sure what's going on here, drunken squadron leader perhaps? Nonetheless, interesting that he is flying so much CAP over what I would consider a backwater base:

Morning Air attack on Port Moresby , at 98,130

Weather in hex: Severe storms

Raid spotted at 9 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 2 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M2 Zero x 76

Allied aircraft
B-17D Fortress x 4

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-17D Fortress: 4 damaged

Aircraft Attacking:
4 x B-17D Fortress bombing from 6000 feet *
Airfield Attack: 4 x 500 lb GP Bomb

CAP engaged:
12th Ku S-1 with A6M2 Zero (25 airborne, 51 on standby, 0 scrambling)
25 plane(s) intercepting now.
Group patrol altitude is 10000
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 8 minutes

There go our tanks

Drunken squadron leader showed us our opponent is prepping PM as a major redoubt.

(in reply to aaffins)
Post #: 358
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/11/2019 7:56:46 PM   
Cheesesteak

We have 3 divisions north of Townsville and 2 at Rockhampton. There are still unaccounted units from Java, and ~1300 (Fins keeps better track than I do) unrestricted AV in China. The house will now accept bets on where he goes:

Safe than Sorry back-filling key positions to delay future Allied advances
Wildcard India/Ceylon
Napoleon's Delight Perth for the divide and conquer
Widen that Gap NE OZ

Post #: 359
RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesest... - 12/12/2019 4:21:40 AM   
Anachro

I'd be careful about running ships in for bombardment without proper nav search. Make sure you saturate the coasts of eastern Australia with PBYs and even HBs operating in a nav search role so you aren't surprised by KB or surface ships. He can still operate planes/bombers from Rockhampton's airfield if it's only partially damaged, so you might consider building up the airfields nearby to help provide LBA CAP to your ships.

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Always with them negative waves... Aaffins/Cheesesteak v. RADM Yamaguchi Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI