Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[NO REPRO] CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map display

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [NO REPRO] CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map display Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[NO REPRO] CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on... - 11/27/2019 5:58:41 PM   
SDRobot

I'm having issues with stability with this game. I've had the giant red X appear where the map should be a few times. I'm also experiencing frequent freezing issues where my entire PC will slow down to a crawl for 5 seconds or so. Usually, the game will recover but sometimes it will crash to desktop. I'm running Windows 7 and not using TacView. I've tried shutting down other programs running in the background, running in windowed mode as well as full screen, and shutting down sound and music. I've also tried different compatibility settings for the .exe but it still runs quite poorly. My PC exceeds the recommended specs and I'm able to run CMANO without issues.

I've only played the the flight school tutorials so far and have had freezing/crashing issues in every scenario. I thought it might be linked to ALT-TABbing out of the game so I switched to windowed mode at the suggestion of someone on another forum. I think that's helped lower the frequency of the red X but it hasn't helped with the freezing issue. I then thought it might be linked to the loading of sound files as it seemed to occur when planes were taking off but disabling sound didn't help either. I'm really not sure what's causing it but it's making the game unplayable because I cannot trust it not to crash at any given moment.

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 11/4/2021 10:22:18 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/27/2019 10:21:21 PM   
kevinkins

Hey SDRobot, welcome to the Community. The Developers are going to need a saved file from just before you encounter the problem and the computer system specifications you are running CMO with. CMO does not require a super computer. But an older computer might need updated video drivers etc.. We are all here to help.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 2
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/28/2019 8:01:11 AM   
Dimitris

Hi,

1) If this is on Steam, can you make sure that Steam overlays are disabled for the game, and that using DirectWrite is disabled on the Steam client entirely?

2) Can you turn off any hardware vendor-provided "helper" apps like MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner etc. ?

3) Can you give this update a try and see if it improves stability: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4723214

Thanks.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 3
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/30/2019 12:04:30 AM   
SDRobot

Still seems to be crashing.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 4
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/30/2019 1:22:18 AM   
tjhkkr

The time it has happened to me appears to be when the game is trying to download terrain, and the internet messes up.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 5
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 12/11/2019 7:36:58 PM   
SDRobot

Still freezing and crashing on me.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 12/12/2019 8:17:03 AM   
guanotwozero

quote:

ORIGINAL: SDRobot

Still freezing and crashing on me.

What sort of PC do you have?

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 7
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 12/13/2019 1:51:08 AM   
SDRobot

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit (updated regularly)
Intel i7-3930K 3.2 GHz
ASA P9X79 PRO mobo
16 GB RAM (2666)
Radeon RX 570 8GB w 19.9.2 drivers

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 8
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 12/13/2019 6:32:02 AM   
guanotwozero

Well, it sure looks like a machine that should have enough oomph to run CMO; I can only speculate there might be a GPU issue.

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 9
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/1/2020 2:16:09 AM   
SDRobot

Still experiencing the same issues.

(in reply to guanotwozero)
Post #: 10
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/1/2020 3:33:22 AM   
DWReese

It happens to me too, and I'm not using any fancy maps, nor am I using TacView, nor anything else extra. I am using bare bones CMO so much that it looks like CMANO.

To me, the problem seems like it may have a database component. To that, I mean, that it is thinking about loading something, or thinking about getting something, and it just can't. So, it just sits there until it finally surrenders by waving the Big Red X.

The DLCs, and the Live scenarios, and the homemade scenarios were all created at different times with different databases. Most don't have an ini file. Even those that do, most of the game players don't always use them. So, the game likely runs into a situation where it can't do something. That's why it works well for some, but not for others.

The database option screen doesn't seem to be as transparent as to what should work and what doesn't. In many cases, the game won't even start at all if you update the scenario. So, this can drive you nuts by not knowing what database you should be using, etc. I really believe that this represents a large portion of the problem.

That being said, the programming could probably fax a few things that are patently obvious as well.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 11
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/1/2020 2:34:29 PM   
BeirutDude

Happens to me as well, with a brand new ASUS "Tuf Gaming" Laptop with 16 GB of RAM. IMHO, its the game and not the machines, and I just added a thread about it not saving when it goes "unstable" as well.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem."
PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN, 1985

I was Navy, but Assigned TAD to the 24th MAU Hq in Beirut. By far the finest period of my service!

(in reply to DWReese)
Post #: 12
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/2/2020 4:38:12 PM   
Dimitris

Haven't received a response, so posting these questions again:

1) If this is on Steam, can you make sure that Steam overlays are disabled for the game, and that using DirectWrite is disabled on the Steam client entirely?

2) Can you turn off any hardware vendor-provided "helper" apps like MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner etc. ?

3) Can you give this update a try and see if it improves stability: https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4723214

(in reply to BeirutDude)
Post #: 13
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/10/2020 2:16:54 AM   
SDRobot

I've tried steps 1 and 3 above. (As for step 2, I'm using AMD Radeon 19.12.2 drivers. I've got all the slider options set to OFF on the GAMING tab in the Radeon GUI. I don't know if there's anything else I need to turn off).

It's more stable with the update in step 3 but it still freezes from time to time. I haven't had a red X in a while but I haven't really played all that much recently due to time constraints and past issues with the game.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 14
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/18/2020 8:05:44 AM   
SDRobot

Any updates?

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 15
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/18/2020 8:20:11 AM   
Dimitris

This is one of our top investigation priorities ATM, but it's impossible to give a timeframe. We may be able to solve it tomorrow, or it may (hopefully not) take years.

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 16
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 1/18/2020 8:23:11 AM   
Dimitris

BTW, if you are still running Win7 you are now one of the easiest targets for malware authors. Let go and move to Win10.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 17
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 2/15/2020 12:20:58 AM   
SDRobot

Still having issues.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 18
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 2/15/2020 10:37:40 AM   
Dimitris

quote:

Still having issues.

Can you please elaborate? Which build are you running? What issues are you still having? Are the issues happening randomly or under a specific set of circumstances ?

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 19
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 2/15/2020 10:49:30 AM   
Dimitris

Also, can you try this: Create a shortcut to [CMO]\Command.exe and put it on your desktop, and run Command directly from this shortcut (ie. don't use the Steam UI).

Before you try that, place the attached text file inside the CMO installation folder (Steam uses this).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Dimitris -- 2/15/2020 11:00:29 AM >

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 20
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 2/20/2020 3:27:47 AM   
SDRobot

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dimitris

quote:

Still having issues.

Can you please elaborate? Which build are you running? What issues are you still having? Are the issues happening randomly or under a specific set of circumstances ?

Same issues and same build as I've described above.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 21
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 4/20/2020 10:26:48 AM   
Dimitris

Did you try the direct-shortcut solution? Did it work for you?

(in reply to SDRobot)
Post #: 22
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 9/27/2020 8:08:00 AM   
Dimitris

bump

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 23
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 10/30/2020 9:23:20 AM   
Dimitris

Any update on this?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 24
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/15/2020 11:14:47 PM   
Sakai007

I will add that the game will not let me run cmo from the exe direct, it says steam client not detected and goes back to desktop. Running Windows 8 i cant update the netframework enough for the launcher to function currently.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 25
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 10/23/2021 10:47:08 AM   
Dimitris

Can anyone provide an update for this issue under v1.04 ?

(in reply to Sakai007)
Post #: 26
RE: CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map di... - 11/4/2021 10:22:01 AM   
Dimitris

Closing as no-repro under current version.

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Tech Support >> [NO REPRO] CMO freezes, crashes, or displays a red X on map display Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI