Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Things to ponder

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2019 9:03:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Although I should perhaps say that the female Viking might more commonly be referred to as a 'shield-maiden'.

Could you explain the meaning of 'shield-maiden'? Bound to be interesting...

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5101
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2019 9:33:52 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

When do the hordettes appear?

Orm

They appear alongside the horde. If one appears, then so does the other. Historically, only the horde is counted, and then you know the number of hordettes as well. And the reason for this type of counting is because the horde arrived slightly before the hordettes and made an armed impression.

The hordettes are armed and are included in the reserves. Their bows have a weaker pull.

quote:

Orm

Although I should perhaps say that the female Viking might more commonly be referred to as a 'shield-maiden'.

How about some being a "shield matron?"

Seek peace but keep your gun handy.

I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing!

“Illegitemus non carborundum est (“Don’t let the bastards grind you down”).”
― Julia Child

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5102
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2019 9:41:35 PM   
Zorch

Hordettes are not to be confused with Rockettes. At least not until they discover the stirrup.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5103
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/18/2019 11:23:11 PM   
RangerJoe

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5104
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/19/2019 1:04:48 AM   
RangerJoe

Those lovely, thin ladies consume about 5,000 calories a day!

― Julia Child

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5105
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/19/2019 11:56:49 PM   
rustysi

This bunch is most definitely 'off the reservation'.

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5106
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 1:46:30 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: RangerJoe

Those lovely, thin ladies consume about 5,000 calories a day!

I 'consumed' a lot just watching them.

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5107
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 6:18:28 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Shield-maiden - a female Viking warrior.

Shield-maidens might be the origin for the valkyrie legends.

There are some evidence that there where female Viking warriors. And I suspect that there were plenty of them, especially when considering the important role the female had in Norse society. However, as far as I know, the jury is still out on this one.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5108
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 6:32:49 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are some evidence that there where female Viking warriors. And I suspect that there were plenty of them, especially when considering the important role the female had in Norse society. However, as far as I know, the jury is still out on this one.

If nothing else, they could serious;y distract the enemy by waving their private parts in their direction and taunting them in French.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5109
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 6:40:13 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

If nothing else, they could serious;y distract the enemy by waving their private parts in their direction and taunting them in French.

At least one saga has it that their naked lady parts scared the enemy so they ran away.

And I suspect that their axes, spears, or swords, might distract you plenty when the weapons impact some of your body parts.

< Message edited by Orm -- 8/20/2019 6:46:36 PM >

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5110
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 6:47:23 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

At least one saga has it that their naked lady parts scared the enemy so they ran away.

And I suspect that their axes, spears, or swords, might distract you plenty when the weapons impact some of your body parts.

They give new meaning to 'make love not war'.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5111
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 6:56:55 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Many of the Nordic invaders panicked, having never seen such weaponry. As men fled during the confusion, Freydís, who was eight-months pregnant, admonished them saying:

"Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Give me a weapon! I know I could fight better than any of you." Ignored, Freydís then picks up the sword of the fallen Snorri Thorbrandsson and engages the attacking natives. She undoes her garment exposing one breast and beating the sword's hilt on her chest gave a furious battle cry. With this, the natives retreated to their boats and fled.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5112
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 7:20:09 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Many of the Nordic invaders panicked, having never seen such weaponry. As men fled during the confusion, Freydís, who was eight-months pregnant, admonished them saying:

"Why run you away from such worthless creatures, stout men that ye are, when, as seems to me likely you might slaughter them like so many cattle? Give me a weapon! I know I could fight better than any of you." Ignored, Freydís then picks up the sword of the fallen Snorri Thorbrandsson and engages the attacking natives. She undoes her garment exposing one breast and beating the sword's hilt on her chest gave a furious battle cry. With this, the natives retreated to their boats and fled.

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5113
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 7:57:07 PM   
RangerJoe

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Indeed.

Zorch

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring.

They have worse things than pickled herring. They have lutefisk (aka fish boards) and Surströmming.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surstr%C3%B6mming

― Julia Child

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5114
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 8:02:33 PM   
Orm

quote:

Methinks a little poetic license was involved there. I mean, who would invade Sweden? They have nothing but pickled herring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-WO73Dh7rY

Thank you for the laugh.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5115
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 8:07:28 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

I think some poetic license is in order when you tell a story that lasts a thousand years.

Anyway. The story doesn't really involve Sweden. It is an excerpt from the Greenland Saga. So the action is taking place somewhere in America. Although at the time no one knew it as America. The Norse called it Vinland, and I have no idea what the natives called it (sadly, my education missed that part).

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5116
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 8:13:19 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

The Finns might invade Sweden. They're stuck with Finnan Hadi.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5117
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 8:42:19 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think some poetic license is in order when you tell a story that lasts a thousand years.

Anyway. The story doesn't really involve Sweden. It is an excerpt from the Greenland Saga. So the action is taking place somewhere in America. Although at the time no one knew it as America. The Norse called it Vinland, and I have no idea what the natives called it (sadly, my education missed that part).

Vinland was Newfoundland/other places. The Norse made up the name 'Greenland' after a bad experience with an Icelandic travel agent.
How did the Vikings send secret messages? They used Norse Code.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5118
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/20/2019 8:43:46 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

quote:

The Finns might invade Sweden. They're stuck with Finnan Hadi.

Where did the 'Fin' in Finland come from? Is it 'Fin' as in The End?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 5119
RE: OT Things to ponder - 8/24/2019 9:58:03 AM   
jdsrae

quote:

Vinland was Newfoundland/other places. The Norse made up the name 'Greenland' after a bad experience with an Icelandic travel agent.
How did the Vikings send secret messages? They used Norse Code.

I had a Newfoundland dog once. Speaking of dogs, I googled "Imperial Guards Div" recently but accidently mis-clicked on "Imperial Guards Dog" instead.
Got me to pondering other similar mis-clicks on the interweb. This one turned out relatively benign.

Attachment (1)

Currently playing my first PBEM, no house rules Scenario 1 as IJ.
AAR link (no SolInvictus): https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4684655

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5120
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/5/2019 1:13:17 AM   
RangerJoe

If Don Adams, Bob Bell (Chicago Bozo the clown), Bob Burns, Drew Carey, Bob Keeshan (Captain Kangaroo, original Clarabell the Clown on Howdy Doody), and Jonathan Winters were all members of the US Marines, does the US Marine Corps somehow help people to become comedians? There are more as well, including actors and writers of comedy.

― Julia Child

(in reply to jdsrae)
Post #: 5121
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/15/2019 10:12:28 AM   
geofflambert

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT: Everyone in Alabama, run for your lives! Humberto is coming!

(in reply to RangerJoe)
Post #: 5122
RE: OT Things to ponder - 9/15/2019 10:44:41 AM   
Orm

Is Humberto a particularly aggressive Gorn-Kzinti crossbreed, that is on the prowl?

Post #: 5123
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/5/2019 12:18:20 AM   
geofflambert

My brother thinks it's a dragon, I say dino.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 5124
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/5/2019 12:31:57 AM   
BBfanboy

A dragon? Wishful thinking from a lonely Gorn methinks! How very gornthropomorphic.

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 5125
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/5/2019 12:52:23 AM   
btd64

GODZILLA ....GP

Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5126
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/5/2019 11:39:17 AM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: btd64

GODZILLA ....GP

GORNZILLA!

(in reply to btd64)
Post #: 5127
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2019 4:31:24 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 5128
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2019 4:39:42 PM   
geofflambert

Attachment (1)

Post #: 5129
RE: OT Things to ponder - 12/14/2019 9:58:46 PM   
BBfanboy

Always dumb to commit a sexual assault, but moreso with a cop car dashcam rolling 30 feet away and a TV camera on the other angle.
No wonder women think men need an attitude adjustment. Not fair to broadbrush all men with that, but it happens often enough that many men need it.
If I were there I would have kicked the guy somewhere.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 5130
Page:   <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Things to ponder Page: <<   < prev  169 170 [171] 172 173   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI