Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

No news about WW2?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> No news about WW2? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
No news about WW2? - 12/9/2019 7:21:30 PM   
lecrop

Post #: 1
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/9/2019 8:21:01 PM   
StellarRat

It's over. The Allies won.

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 2
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/9/2019 8:34:12 PM   
thewood1

It was close. But we all kind of knew how it would turn out.

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 3
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/9/2019 9:13:23 PM   
kevinkins

Check out the Midway scenario posted scenario and mods forum a few days ago. Sounds like the designer did a lot of research and it might be the best example of what CMO can simulate for that era without a lot of modifications or a brand new product.

Kevin

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 4
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/10/2019 3:03:16 AM   
tjhkkr

quote:

ORIGINAL: StellarRat

Call your shots! I nearly spat my morning milk out all over the computer screen, I laughed so hard...

Thanks for the laugh!

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 5
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/10/2019 3:48:16 AM   
goodwoodrw

quote:

ORIGINAL: tjhkkr

quote:

Call your shots! I nearly spat my morning milk out all over the computer screen, I laughed so hard...

Thanks for the laugh!

Well so much for your manners, shouldn't be eating breakfast in front of your computer serve yourself right, get back to the kitchen/dining room table!!

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 6
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/10/2019 10:02:11 AM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkins

Check out the Midway scenario posted scenario and mods forum a few days ago. Sounds like the designer did a lot of research and it might be the best example of what CMO can simulate for that era without a lot of modifications or a brand new product.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, I'll take a look.

There does not seem to be much expectation with the possibility of a CMO dedicated to WW2

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 7
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/20/2019 11:08:34 AM   
lecrop

Meanwhile, I am playing with the editor.

I have tried several types of manual calculations for approach, maneuver, passive sonar detection and torpedo launch calculation following historical methods and I have high expectations.

Here a VIIC U-boat, an spread of 3 T2 torpedoes and a allied merchant ready to go to the bottom. (Straight Shot method for the attack):

A note to developers: we need drawing tools ingame, pleeeeeease

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 8
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/20/2019 11:34:16 AM   
Sardaukar

There is Midway scenario around too.

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 9
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/22/2019 6:31:31 PM   
lecrop

Work in progress

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 10
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/23/2019 11:41:54 AM   
Ancalagon451

quote:

There does not seem to be much expectation with the possibility of a CMO dedicated to WW2

That's because there are already a bajillion of WW2 themed games in the market, ranging from individual squad member to national grand strategy level and all in between. And even more are being released while I write these lines.

So most WW2 enthusiasts don't need CMO to scratch their itch, and consecuently most CMO players are fans of other more modern eras far less well served in the current market.

Ancalagon

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 11
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/23/2019 7:37:50 PM   
wodin

WW2 was mentioned by developers during CMO release

(in reply to Ancalagon451)
Post #: 12
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/24/2019 9:43:10 AM   
Andrea G

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ancalagon451

That's because there are already a bajillion of WW2 themed games in the market, ranging from individual squad member to national grand strategy level and all in between. And even more are being released while I write these lines.

So most WW2 enthusiasts don't need CMO to scratch their itch, and consecuently most CMO players are fans of other more modern eras far less well served in the current market.

Ancalagon

Yes but there isn't a WW2 aero-naval game with the details of CMO.
I remeber fondly the "Command at Sea" series of Clash of Arms which in the 90es was the WWII companion to Harpoon.

(in reply to Ancalagon451)
Post #: 13
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/24/2019 7:04:37 PM   
1nutworld

Combat MODERN Air Naval Operations........it's in the title. MODERN.

World War II SHOULD NOT be a priority, sorry. I get it that there are people that wish for this type of sim for that era but I truly wouldn't expect the devs to be working on creating massive content for that era, not till most of the current era bugs and plans for CMO are developed and released.

USS Dwight D. Eisenhower (CVN-69) 1990-1994.

(in reply to Andrea G)
Post #: 14
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/25/2019 3:55:47 PM   
kevinkins

I would bet that WW2 is not a priority for the developers; but I would also bet WW2 will get done in some form before those same developers throw in the towel.

“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to 1nutworld)
Post #: 15
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/26/2019 9:43:56 PM   
ncc1701e

If done, would be fun to have the possibility to play Modern against WW2 units like Nimitz in "The Final Countdown" movie...

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 16
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/26/2019 11:07:41 PM   
kevinkins

Not sure if that scenario would get much play. We are trying to make sure the sim is accurate modern vs modern. Let's leave modern vs WW2 out the mix for a few years. WW2 will be fun, stop back in 2022.

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 17
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/27/2019 7:17:22 PM   
Gunner98

quote:

"The Final Countdown" movie...

Didn't we have a Final Countdown scenario built by someone a couple years back?

B

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to ncc1701e)
Post #: 18
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/27/2019 7:26:53 PM   
Sardaukar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gunner98

quote:

"The Final Countdown" movie...

B

Yes, there was/is.

It is even played on youtube by Baloogan himself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsqyMQxRsck

< Message edited by Sardaukar -- 12/27/2019 7:30:07 PM >

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 19
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/27/2019 7:54:19 PM   
stilesw

quote:

Bart,

You are correct. In fact there were three: The Final Countdown I, II, & III.
Here they are for anyone interested.

-WS

Attachment (1)

“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 20
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/27/2019 8:06:42 PM   
Mgellis

Ahem...

At the risk of stating the obvious, I would like to remind people that it would pretty easy to write a whole bunch of World War II scenarios right now...there are dozens of platforms in the CWDB that are for ships, planes, etc. built before or during World War II. (As I recall, there is a Soviet battleship from 1911.)

As for platforms that are not in the database yet, I would recommend NOT requesting an entire WWII package (a huge amount of work for the developers) but simply identifying specific ships, aircraft, etc. that are needed for a particular scenario. That way, one by one, and two by two, they can be added. The Cold War database will soon swell to include many more World War II and 1940s alternate history platforms.

Then we can start on the World War I platforms.

Slowly, but surely, we will assimilate history.

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 21
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/28/2019 1:45:58 PM   
Eboreg

I've actually been wanting to create a "Battle of the San Bernardino Strait" scenario ever since first buying the original game. Heck, one of the first requests I made in CWDB was for the Yamato-class battleships that would be the star of the show but they still haven't shown up yet...

(in reply to Mgellis)
Post #: 22
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/28/2019 2:52:20 PM   
kevinkins

Not sure if the issue is just adding units to the DB, but programing a realistic WW2 combat model for the AI. For example, proper dive bombing and close in dog fighting has been mentioned before.

― Alfred Thayer Mahan

(in reply to Eboreg)
Post #: 23
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/28/2019 4:12:24 PM   
PTalvela

quote:

(in reply to StellarRat)
Post #: 24
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/28/2019 7:04:18 PM   
76mm

quote:

So most WW2 enthusiasts don't need CMO to scratch their itch...

This is simply not not true for naval/air warfare at this level of detail, at this scale, and for a variety of nations. In fact, as far as I am aware, there are not ANY games released in recent times dealing with anything remotely like the scope/depth of CMO. If you don't like WWII, OK, but pls don't claim that "there are plenty of existing options".

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
WW2 was mentioned by developers during CMO release...

Indeed...it would be nice if they would provide a bit more detail about their plans...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 25
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/30/2019 11:55:24 PM   
bobbackwards

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

So most WW2 enthusiasts don't need CMO to scratch their itch...

This is simply not not true for naval/air warfare at this level of detail, at this scale, and for a variety of nations. In fact, as far as I am aware, there are not ANY games released in recent times dealing with anything remotely like the scope/depth of CMO. If you don't like WWII, OK, but pls don't claim that "there are plenty of existing options".

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
WW2 was mentioned by developers during CMO release...

Indeed...it would be nice if they would provide a bit more detail about their plans...

War in the Pacific Admirals Edition right here at Matrix games is at least as detailed as CMO....

edit: granted not a "recent" game but still probably the best grand strategic, naval-centric game ever made(imho)

< Message edited by bobbackwards -- 12/30/2019 11:58:17 PM >

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 26
RE: No news about WW2? - 12/31/2019 10:10:46 AM   
Gunner98

quote:

still probably the best grand strategic, naval-centric game ever made(imho)

No argument there, but it is certainly not the same scale nor is tactical combat handled with the precision it is in CMO.

I am not a huge proponent of distracting CMO developer resources to WW2 efforts but there is certainly a group of players who are keenly interested in that. I suspect the Devs have a good idea of the market and how much effort to apply. It takes time but they've come through with many, many things we've asked for in the past.

Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/

(in reply to bobbackwards)
Post #: 27
RE: No news about WW2? - 1/2/2020 2:01:00 PM   
ncc1701e

Okay for Pacific but what about Atlantic and Mediterranean sea, there is no real WITPAE option there.

Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.

(in reply to Gunner98)
Post #: 28
RE: No news about WW2? - 1/2/2020 6:53:38 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bobbackwards
War in the Pacific Admirals Edition right here at Matrix games is at least as detailed as CMO....

But of course it is a completely different game, at a different scale, and covers only the Pacific theater. Yeah, so who needs CMO WWII?

(in reply to bobbackwards)
Post #: 29
RE: No news about WW2? - 1/2/2020 8:02:54 PM   
butch4343

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinkins

Not sure if the issue is just adding units to the DB, but programing a realistic WW2 combat model for the AI. For example, proper dive bombing and close in dog fighting has been mentioned before.

I cant offer a solution to the issue of effective close air to air combat, but one way around the issue of the dive bombing AI, would be to clone an existing entry of say the M65 bomb thats used by US Avengers and Dauntless bombers, changing the max-min release altitudes to say between 12-15000ft and change the POH to greater than the original entry by a percentage. After that its a case of creating the loadouts for each aircraft, its not an inconsiderable amount of work but you arent having to start from a clean slate, its copying and amending existing loadouts and database entries.

That said I agree I would prefer the devs to work on the modern aspects to command , but thats just a personal preference.

Regards

Butch

(in reply to kevinkins)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> No news about WW2? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI